Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Horse meat scandal      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
When you think about it, unless you've witnessed a cow being despatched and butchered and been handed the meat straight away, how do you know that what you taste as beef is actually beef? I've never seen any animal being despatched and butchered in the flesh (haha) apart from rabbits and chickens, so like most people, I go on trust that what I buy as beef is actually beef. I could have been eating horse my entire steak scoffing and mince munching life and wouldn't know any different. Even the two sheep I raised and subesquently had turned into lovely lamb chops were killed and butchered out of sight in an abottoir (you're not allowed to do it yourself); I could have been handed goat for all I knew.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/9/2013 7:33:15 AM
@37

isn't that the whole point of this fiasco,the laws governing the labelling of what is in the food has been broken,we shouldnt have to watch the whole process to be able to trust it contains what is on the list of ingredients

I agree. That is indeed the whole point. Unscrupulous people rely on other people to be ignorant about things to get away with all kinds of stuff. Putting aside thoughts and emotions about whether eating horse meat is right or wrong, the real issue is that the public has been misled into buying and consuming something that they didn't intend to. We can't know everything about everything, so we rely on others to be honest. Sadly, examples seem to crop up on an almost daily basis which proves that our naivety is continually preyed upon.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/9/2013 4:42:33 PM

And I agree it doesn't really make any difference if it’s a cow or a horse – but if we didn't even know we were eating it, surely the welfare standards for the already appalling slaughter process must be fairly unregulated too?

That is my biggest concern. With lack of traceability there can be no health checks on these horses or monitoring of the medicines and toxins they contain.
I am wondering what other animals will be thrown in to the mix,as it where?
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/9/2013 6:10:23 PM
Unless his name's Hillary Briss and he butchers in Royston Vasey....
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/12/2013 4:18:30 AM

The Supermarket chains do audits on manufacturers that supply them , as in do their premises meet health and hygiene regulations etc, but I don't believe they do 'deep' product testing. Why would they, when the food manufacturer assures them that they do that themselves?

As a retailer myself, I trust my licensees and distributors to sell me goods that aren't counterfeit and that the origin label is an honest one. I've been asked whether my goods are original merchandise and it's never offended me. By law, the first port of call when it comes to a complaint though is me. It's then up to me to sort things out in both directions.

It is a tricky one because everything relies on a degree of trust. No, the supermarkets shouldn't necessarily be playing the nuffin to do wiv us guv card because they're still in the chain but again, they might have been totally clueless, as you point out.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/12/2013 9:06:37 AM

Apparantly now its not just horsemeat , it is now donkey meat .
I wonder what will be next lol

I hear that the Romanians are so filthy that traces of human DNA has been found in the Horse meat scandal.
Maybe they will find Beaver hair next ?
 Chipsss
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/12/2013 3:34:02 PM
So you can flog a dead horse after all.

(3a & b)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flog
 Broken Meat
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:04:14 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8457596.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Tesco+horse+burger+joke
 monty336
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/13/2013 11:35:43 PM
a few years ago when we had a high st butcher the meat was cut up on the premisis , but now done in faceless factorys all over europe so anything can happen, i sometime wonder what goes into pies now, one post said are mps got shares in these places after all max profit seems to be the priority, if we could return and USE a local butcher we would have a better idea of what we was being sold, i know one major supermarket has its own high st but that is just bullsh1t advertising, in my town only 2 butchers shops survive there was 28 at the peak, i know where i go for my meat
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/15/2013 10:26:34 AM
get virtually all my meat from a game licensed butcher, his fillet steaks are hung for 4-5 weeks and simply slice of a few strips and drop into a cooked noodle soup, the latent heat cooks the fillet....

trying to get horse meat to eat is going to be a lot harder now :(
 Strider886
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/16/2013 3:55:07 PM

Those multinationals are in constant pursuit of maximizing their profits

It's a case of trying to maintain enough profit to remain in business, the likes of Tesco don't give a flying one if they drive their suppliers under, they want product at the lowest possible price, most supermarkets make 100% (or more) profit on everything they sell.... Buy in at 50p, sell for £1.20

The horse meat "scandal" is all about suppliers trying to remain in business.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/17/2013 5:56:41 AM
^^^^
Does it Bob? what does it say?
 Chuzz16
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/17/2013 7:47:06 AM
dont you know?

buy in packets foods.
schools buy in cheap meat,nhs buys in even cheaper meats.
the supermarkets shows this to be the case that british food has become the ready meal society.
isles and isles of readymeals that my dear reflects our eating habits.

americans are confused about our eating habits they say that we eat sh*T.

and to be honest we do!!.
thats why its imported here!.

You might Bob.

As we speak I have a lovely joint of pork slowly roasting in my oven, bought from my (not so local butcher).
You might buy ready meals my dear, but I don't. :)
 Chuzz16
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Horse meat scandal
Posted: 2/18/2013 8:09:53 AM
[thats like saying you never voted for new labour!
strange that isnt it just.
labour gets in and no one voted for them!!

as i said british people in general eat crap food.
thats why supermarkets have stacks of it in rows and rows of sheleves!!

its you that are in self denial]

I have never voted for labour (old or new) and not quite sure what that has to do with roasting a joint of pork? :))))
What other people choose to eat is up to them. I don't deny that people eat crap food, but I try my very best not to.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Horse meat scandal