Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Am I wrong to expect old fashioned manners?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 101
Am I wrong to expect old fashioned manners?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

(The right, as usual, Arlo_Troutman) the guy proceeded to act like a total knob by trying to tell her how to organize her affairs

(the delightfully cute-as-a-button and smart-as-a-whip ladyc4) And because you are telling her how to handle the situations in her social life according to YOUR standards-ain't that kinda knobbish?

No, and I'll explain why: OP's BF/date is a knob. I am not. Therefore, what he does/says is knobbish, while what I say/do, isn't. Easy-peezy.

Yeah, I know-she asked a question,but it wasn't about whining-it was about her (possibly unrealistic?) expectation of good manners?

It wasn't about that at all - it was about the all-too-common human desire to get the maximum return for the minimum investment (which is related to the "buy cheap/sell dear" impulse...). She didn't want to make a minor adjustment to her schedule (and it's SACRELIGIOUS to expect it of her), and would rather kvetch about it. The minor adjustment of which I speak, BTW, is getting ready for her 8:30 appointment before fooling around on the 'Net. I've always done the important stuff first, then engaged in amusing past-times after. Or maybe she was sending her date a subliminal message that her Web surfing was *MORE* important than he was?

If she wants to lolly-gag in bed when a reasonable adult would be taking care of his/her/its shit, that's her choice.

OK-how is this statement really any different than what the knob did? Yeah yeah, you added the "her choice" disclaimer.

A crucially important one, despite your efforts to minimize its importance. See, it is indeed her choice to go through life getting punched in the nose by Fate, if she so chooses. I'm simply pointing out that there *ARE* alternatives to stamping y0ur feet and holding your breath when you don't get what you want. Changing what you do, and how you do it, is one that comes readily to mind...

Destiny doesn't listen to good excuses.

No, but sometimes a sock in the eye or a kick in the ass gets its' attention...

Most of us know not to put a hot iron to our faces without having done it... it's called Common Sense. If you do A, B will follow. In human terms: if you treat a person poorly, he/she will probably go off on you.
 ladyc4
Msg: 102
Am I wrong to expect old fashioned manners?
Posted: 6/6/2013 7:48:57 AM

if you treat a person poorly, he/she will probably go off on you.

By that token, she was entitled to go off on him!

Look, it may be VERY smart to show up a half-hour early for a job interview. I notice(because last month it was held at the church across the street from my house) that people who partake of the mobile food pantry services often show up the night before, because first in line gets the most stuff,usually. So there it makes sense to show up way early. It often makes sense to show up at a fleamarket super early to get a good vendor spot( or the choicest buys), it makes sense to show up way early at an auction sale so you get a parking place close to the sale location.People show up hours early for special days/special sales at WalMart...
This all makes sense.
But somewhere back there in the haze of our upbringing, many people were taught that is is at best gauche and at worst rude, to show up way early for a social engagement,especially if the event, or the kick-off of the event is at someones' home.

So by the manners SOME of us were taught...it is RUDE to show up at a social engagement EARLY. IF specific activities( or a meal) are involved, it is also rude to be significantly late. At other types of social event "fashionably late" is acceptable.
Sorry, but the man in this scenario was in error socially. He then compounded the offense by trying to lecture the OP.
Yes, the OP probably should have been the bigger person and let it roll off. But I can also see where, humanly speaking, the lecturing could have been(at the least) annoying, and at the most-a warning flag.

OP, I think that while you are certainly not wrong or unrealistic to expect basic good etiquette, that you WILL encounter men who don't know what that is, men who are over-eager, and men who are desperate to get another woman into his life that he can instruct,supervise and control like he did his ex(or late) wife. Trust me, there are plenty of women out there who either don't know any better, or are also desperate, who will comply with these behaviors.You are in no way obligated to accept this as "normal" or "usual",because there are also men who were taught basic etiquette and honor hose principles.

Now, before a thundering herd of yahbuts come stampeding my way-I REALIZE that this is not 1949, and sometimes common sense must over-ride a certain premise of etiquette in certain circumstances.

But I cannot think of ANY common sense reason for someone to show up at their dates' door a half hour early unless the dates' residence was in the path of a fire, flood or tornado-or stampeding buffalo,and it was necessary to evacuate immediately.
Sorry, the guy was in the wrong, in terms of etiquette.
Yeah, perhaps the OP should have been prepared for such a breach, but how far is anyone obligated to go in order to avert or neutralize poor etiquette?
Cindy O
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/6/2013 8:45:38 AM

(Arlo quoting his favourite poster, himself) if you treat a person poorly, he/she will probably go off on you.

(the close second to Arlo's favourite poster, ladyc4) By that token, she was entitled to go off on him!

As was he on her. Really, how is a guy *SUPPOSED* to feel about a woman who dedicates a whole whopping 20 minutes to getting ready for her date with him, while doubtlessly spending 5-6 times that time farting around on the World Wide Web?

So by the manners SOME of us were taught...it is RUDE to show up at a social engagement EARLY.

I'm not arguing with you there. I'd show up maybe 5-10 minutes early. But, it's also very revealing that the OP dedicated 20 minutes -- no more, no less -- to getting ready for her date. This tells me that she is a major control freak, unable to plan for unforeseen events. Perhaps that was the morning her coffee carafe decided to see what would happen if it jumped off the counter. Maybe that was the morning one of her light bulbs decided to burn out. Maybe that was the morning her cat decided to yak on her bed, or poop in the bag she was planning to take swimming. My p0int is, someone adhering as rigidly to a time-scale as the OP did, never anticipates unforeseen events, which indicates piss-poor planning ability, and piss-poor improvisation skills (ability to "roll with the punches").

Sorry, but the man in this scenario was in error socially. He then compounded the offense by trying to lecture the OP.

Again, no disagreement here. Not trying to defend or exhonerate him. But, OP wasn't seeking advice -- she wanted to rail against a guy who isn't here to relate HIS side of events. Believe it or not, he definitely has one...

Yes, the OP probably should have been the bigger person and let it roll off. But I can also see where, humanly speaking, the lecturing could have been(at the least) annoying, and at the most-a warning flag.

Another perspective: perhaps he recognized that he and she were not a match, and he took the honourable way out, by making himself *SO* unacceptable to OP that SHE dumped HIM? He would rather have his character dragged through the mud, and allow a lady to get all righteous on him, than to hurt her feelings. *THAT'S* a gentleman.
 ladyc4
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/6/2013 10:04:47 AM

Really, how is a guy *SUPPOSED* to feel about a woman who dedicates a whole whopping 20 minutes to getting ready for her date with him, while doubtlessly spending 5-6 times that time farting around on the World Wide Web?

But how would he know that? For all he knew she might have spend most of the previous night at the bedside of an ill close friend or relative(simply using that as an example).

I don't entirely disagree with you as far as organization/pre-planning...but he STILL committed a social error by arriving extremely early( by standards of etiquette)-and it wasn't his place to start lecturing the OP on those topics.
I
n fact, since (according to Miss Manners!) only God, or their mother has the right to correct another adults social/life management behavior,so the guy was in the wrong on 2 counts.

But, it's also very revealing that the OP dedicated 20 minutes -- no more, no less -- to getting ready for her date. This tells me that she is a major control freak,

but she didn't ASK for an analysis of her personality, character and life-management style, she asked if she needed to accept that most males in her dating pool are going to be over-eager, pushy and controlling knobs?

But, OP wasn't seeking advice -- she wanted to rail against a guy who isn't here to relate HIS side of events. Believe it or not, he definitely has one...

OMG!! Stop the presses! Somebody get Markus on the phone! Like this^^^^ has never happened before in the history of PoF forums!

perhaps he recognized that he and she were not a match,

Well, one would certainly HOPE so...

They are both slightly nutty,

On that I can heartily agree. But agin, by the technical standards of etiquette, the man showed bad form by showing up so early. On a level of personality, IMO, he also revealed himself to be somewhat over-eager(which isn't always wise with regards to dating) and himself something of a control freak.
Indeed, if the purpose of the half-hour early arrival was to either discover another lover sneaking out the back door or the OP planning to stand him up by leaving her house( claiming an emergency by way of explanation later), I'd say the guy also had some trust issues.
Cindy O
 hounddoug
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/6/2013 2:58:22 PM

perhaps he recognized that he and she were not a match,

Well, one would certainly HOPE so...

I think they are both to blame to some extent. There are people who don't like to be late for things and those who will always be late (even for their own funerals). Early for an appointment is fine, but a half hour before a date is not.

Not to generalize about women because I'll hear it from the general PoF female populace, but almost every woman I have ever known in some regards have been perpetually late, leaving EVERYthing (dates, work, etc) to the very last minute and then it becomes a "hair on fire, hair on fire" event.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/6/2013 4:39:47 PM

Not to generalize about women because I'll hear it from the general PoF female populace, but almost every woman I have ever known in some regards have been perpetually late, leaving EVERYthing (dates, work, etc) to the very last minute and then it becomes a "hair on fire, hair on fire" event.

That's funny because my experience is with men behaving in just the way you describe. Years ago a very good friend of mine was getting married (very small backyard wedding) and she lied to us about the time of the wedding because she knew that I would be ready and fighting with the ex to get ready. Sure as h3ll, we were 1.5 hours late which made us half an hour early. Not sure how he ever made it to work on time, but that was the only thing he was ever on time for. I know many men who are the same way and only one woman who is guilty of this.

Now me, I am never late, I am the person who circles the block 6 times in order to not be too early, because showing up more than 10 minutes early for a business meeting and 5 minutes early for something personal is downright rude.
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/7/2013 12:23:58 AM
I don't think you're old fashioned. This is beyond the question of manners, into abuse. You can do better than someone who "shoulds" all over you!
 curviest
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2013 3:43:42 AM
I'd like to thank Cindy O for her continued good sense in taking on the man who thought I was in the wrong for not foreseeing that my date would turn up half an hour early.

Taking of bad manners, I had a phone call this morning from another man that contacted me on here, who I have never before spoken to or met, and I'd like to share it with you.

John is a salesman -- and shows it! When he rang me for the first time yesterday he was quite pushy on the phone, either talking a lot and loudly, or firing questions at me quite abruptly and expecting instant answers. Although we only spoke for five minutes, he asked me three times to meet him today. Because I wasn't sure if I wanted to meet, and wanted time to consider, I fobbed him off all three times by saying (in so many words) "Don't call me - I'll call you when I am free to meet".

Despite this, he surprised and irritated me by ringing me at 0720 this morning when I was still in bed and I only answered because I figured that, if anyone was phoning that early, it must be some kind of emergency.

But it was him, like a bull in a china shop, blundering into my morning and jabbering away. I can see no reason why he could not have left it till 9am, which to my mind is the earliest time one can ever ring a stranger, as one does not know their habits and timetable, after all. And phoning AT ALL means he was ignoring me when I said to leave it with me and I would call him!

He immediately started to press me to meet him today. So I repeated that I'd ring him when I have some free time to meet, as I am working. So then he tried to press me to agree to meet tomorrow, I repeated myself. Then he suggested I get the bus to his town to meet him tomorrow, told me the bus times and the fare, saying it was only five pounds, and that I "should be able to manage that", which means he is pre-supposing that I am a pauper who cannot afford the train! I repeated yet again that I'd ring him when I have some free time.

Then I realised that being a salesman is sooo deeply embedded that he was using the same technique of pushiness, of not taking no for an answer, on me! He must be a very good salesman, but a person really needs to know when to switch it off -- in social situations.

He asked if I had kids and when I said no, he said, well you could still have them. I laughed and said, "No chance: I am 55". He said, "Oh that is nothing, I have heard of women older than you having kids. I think you should have some. Think about it. Kids are great!" I'm appalled at what he said, on several levels -- firstly, no concept of the menopause, second, does he not realise that if a woman turns down the endless opportunities to get pregnant from age 16 to, say, 50, that means she does not want kids? Thirdly, saying that he thinks I "should" have kids, when I am a complete stranger is so personal it's bordering on rude. Fourth, and not least, he did not care that he was maybe opening up old wounds: how does he know that I was not infertile all my life and thoroughly miserable about not having kids?

Conclusion: he's far too pushy for me, plus a bit stupid, insensitive and unrealistic as well as tactless, to tell me I ought to have a kid at 55. If a woman is tactful and says she'll ring him when she has some free time, I think that a man should leave it at that, the ball in her court, and if she does not make contact then drop it.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/19/2013 5:51:58 PM

Conclusion: he's far too pushy for me, plus a bit stupid, insensitive and unrealistic as well as tactless, to tell me I ought to have a kid at 55.

I would have told him, "No thanks, I'm not interested in adopting you.", then hung up in his face.
 curviest
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2013 7:09:53 AM
Do you know what, Halcyon? I think I need you as my dating mentor.

No matter how boring they are, no matter how rude they are, I just seem to get caught like a rabbit in the headlights -- I'm frozen and I cannot hang up. It just seems so rude. Even if I realise while the man is rattling on that I will never want to meet him, for some reason I am too polite to tell him this, or ring off. I really must work on my assertion skills!
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/20/2013 9:29:48 AM
Do you know what, Halcyon? I think I need you as my dating mentor.

No matter how boring they are, no matter how rude they are, I just seem to get caught like a rabbit in the headlights -- I'm frozen and I cannot hang up. It just seems so rude. Even if I realise while the man is rattling on that I will never want to meet him, for some reason I am too polite to tell him this, or ring off. I really must work on my assertion skills!

OP, I've had a fair share of practice over the years. The "click" gets easier the more times you do it. I'm accustomed to dating men who treat me with respect, and I simply don't engage those who won't give it to me.
 fishundone
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/5/2013 4:07:01 PM
More times the not the "ought" is on both sides in any drama.
The "oughts" always come with hindsight.
Some people have perfect hindsight when it comes to other's lives.

Though I found throwing the "oughts" back at the 'oughters' often times escalates to the point the "ought" loses it's point.

Cooling down with the "oughts" with a nice "now.." or an "anyways" is better than when oughts get heated.
 justlookinflorida
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/8/2013 10:25:34 AM
No you're not in my opinion. He was rude and disrespectful for telling you what you "ought" to have done. He was absolutely rude.
 JaiNai
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/11/2013 10:37:06 AM
I wouldn't consider his showing up early as bad manners, but rather a lack of consideration.
I also would not have been in bed 20 minutes before expecting a date to arrive.
But that's just me.
And I would have shown him to the door once he started arguing with me about anything.

Good manners are not old fashioned. They are timeless. I still expect and receive courteous treatment from any man I happen to be dating.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:18:24 PM

(curviest) I'd like to thank Cindy O for her continued good sense in taking on the man who thought I was in the wrong for not foreseeing that my date would turn up half an hour early.

As I am the man in question, allow me to jump in and defend myself:

As I could have anticipated, you have it all wrong and back-asswards. I wasn't saying you were in the wrong for not foreseeing that your date would turn up half an hour early: I said you wrere in the wrong for playing grab-ass on the InterNet, when you *SHOULD* have been getting ready for your date. *RESPONSIBLE* adults do the stuff that will impact others first, then waste time on minmdless pass-times...
 curviest
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:38:50 PM
I have no idea what "playing grabass" is.

Nothing I did "impacted" on him, as you put it.

I would have been outside the front door at 0830 as agreed, because I had booked a cab for that time and I am never, NEVER late for any appointment.

I know exactly how long it takes me to get ready to go swimming because I have been going 2 to 3 times a week for twelve years.

Agreeing to meet someone at 0830 does not entitle them to "own" your time or your actions at any time before 0830. So long as you are there at the appointed time, what gives anyone the right to dictate what you "should" be doing at 0800 or 0810?
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/18/2013 1:06:27 PM

(curviest) I have no idea what "playing grabass" is.

Wasting time on silly irrelevancies.

You're welcome.

Nothing I did "impacted" on him, as you put it.

Laying in bed fiddle-farting around on the Internet meant you weren't ready for your date, which mnopst certsainly *DID* impact him...

I would have been outside the front door at 0830 as agreed, because I had booked a cab for that time and I am never, NEVER late for any appointment.

I know exactly how long it takes me to get ready to go swimming because I have been going 2 to 3 times a week for twelve years.

Getting comfortable with a routine is one thing: getting comfortable with a routine to the point that you freak out and fall to pieces if it's challenged in any way is quite another...

Agreeing to meet someone at 0830 does not entitle them to "own" your time or your actions at any time before 0830.

And, I've said this *WHERE*, exactly?

as you are there at the appointed time, what gives anyone the right to dictate what you "should" be doing at 0800 or 0810?

*shrug* Nothing is more pathetic than a supposed adult who is unable to realize that you have to live with the consequencdes of your choices...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/19/2013 12:32:58 PM
Who cares if she was fiddle-farting on the internet before her date?
It was scheduled at 8:30. She should be able to fiddle-fart on
her computer until 8:29. From what I read, he invited himself along
and they planned on sharing a cab which arrived at her house across
the street from his house at 8:30.

The OP had a choice. She decided he was rude to arrive 30 minutes
early (and I think he was too)...he decided she needed a chill pill and
left after giving her a lecture IN HER OWN HOME.

The original question was about manners and assuming it's alright
to arrive for an appointment 30 minutes early and expecting to be
welcomed with open arms and coffee or tea. Maybe some people are
okei with that sort of behavior, but the OP is not...and she's entitled
not to be.

She is living with the consequences of her choices...she's not dating him.

But that wasn't the question or the issue.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/19/2013 1:43:21 PM
I've read this thread to the best of my ability, and from what I can tell, you weren't prepared to introduce another person to an established pattern. 30 minutes is excessive, but I don't agree with the argument that he was as churl for arriving before 8:30 on the dot. He kind of invited himself along, which you may not have appreciated. Then arrived early and broke up your flow. I agree the "ought to" critiques were out of line, but there was a graceful way to handle them.

I think you're wrong to expect a person to work on the same time table as you from the get go. He's an individual and if you're building a relationship with him, then you'll need to learn to hash that out. He probably wouldn't have arrived 30 minutes early if he'd known it would inconvenience you so much. That's a pretty awful way to start a date.

From what you've said, his major failing was how he handled discovering you weren't ready. If you guys had 2 successful dates, it may be worth it just to see why he felt that was the way to handle things. I wasn't there, but my guess is that more happened if it escalated so quickly.
 Sapphireeyes100
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/19/2013 2:19:15 PM
From post by curviest on prior page about a salesman, she goes on and on about how someone is invading her space, time effort or energy, without realizing she is the person in control, these men are who you are making a choice to interact with...at all times you have the right to remain ALONE and not interact with them, just because that is all that is willing to interact with you doesn't mean you have to accept it.

Stop playing victim that others are doing such horrible things when the bottom line is is a lack of self respect or esteem to ditch losers before they get this far, if a man is told no but he is allowed to continue then the person who is wrong is not the man--it is you...if you say no...then mean no...if you aren't interested then you say thanks but im not interest and you dont string them along with don't call me Ill call you bullshit. The only possible way a man can call you is if you give him your number, if you do that then you should put his name in your contacts and you know who is calling at 7:20, but then to suggest that if he called after 9 it would have been better shows the mixed signals you are giving. I am bored with my life and want attention from a man to entertain me cause even receiving the wrong attention from the wrong man is better than no attention.

Then I realised that being a salesman is sooo deeply embedded that he was using the same technique of pushiness, of not taking no for an answer, on me! He must be a very good salesman, but a person really needs to know when to switch it off -- in social situations.

Actually that is not a sign of a good salesman, a good salesman answers objections to the point of satisfaction to the client before proceeding otherwise it is a waste of his time to go forward. That is simply a man who was bossy and boring and YOU MADE the choice to continue to talk to him at 7 20 vs saying sorry I was sleeping Ill call you back and then hanging up and now you want to blame him for his actions without taking responsibility for your own. I also doubt the situation is as described and then to call him stupid insensitive and unrealistic when you were the one who wasnt interest but just using him to feel better about the lack of quality contacts from men you are interested in. Who wasted who's time?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2013 2:29:33 PM
OP, it sounds as though you did'nt fit into this fellows mold of what his date should be. He must have liked and cared about you because he took the time to let you know what he expected of you. Of course, doing this in a rude and critical way was just his way of showing you just how much these things meant to him. Plus, in so doing it would have left a more lasting impression on you.

The fact that he came to your place early and did all of this simply added to the irritation factor I'd bet. Nothing like being told how to live your life in your own home by a critical date from hell.

I'd say you dodged a bullet OP. He sounds like the type of jerk who would have peed in the pool and try to blame it on you.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2013 3:31:07 PM
^^^ If indeed the OP experienced the described behavior from her date then I would still say he was rude. And, also that she dodged a bullet.

I have'nt read all of her posts and threads however. She is who she is and rude behavior should be recognized and called out as it happens. Simply for the betterment of society as a whole this should be done. If I were the OP and this behavior was manifested in my home I'd have hit him with a copy of Emily Posts book of etiquette. Then, I'd have politely, but firmly shown this lout the door.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/20/2013 7:22:42 AM
(browneyesboo) Who cares if she was fiddle-farting on the internet before her date?

First off, Internet addiction is worse than cigarette addiction; it is quite contemptible, and indicative of a lack of self-control. Aside from the issue that it tells a lot about a person's (lack of) self-control... second of all, it reveals a dismaying solipsist attitude, i.e. "I can do what I want, when I want, and if anyone sees a problem with it, theyre double-plus dummy-heads!" Salesmen just love people who are so easily manipulated...

If you absolutely *HAVE* to do it, don't expect others to feel good about it.

The original question was about manners and assuming it's alright
to arrive for an appointment 30 minutes early and expecting to be
welcomed with open arms and coffee or tea.

It's also bad manners to post a one-sided whine.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/20/2013 7:56:40 AM
1. The original post was really about whether it is okay to arrive 30 minutes early for a date and then natter on about how the person should have been ready. (half an hour early in morning, wouldn't happen for me either).

2. Where did she say she was "fiddle-farting" on the internet? What she said was that she was replying to emails. Catch me 30 minutes early and I might be doing the same thing. It's called working, not internet addiction.

3. Think you have it wrong there, she was at home, 30 minutes before the date was due to arrive. He was the one giving her sh^t for not being ready. So tell me who is the one who thinks they are the centre of the universe?

It is rude to keep people waiting, but you are only doing that if you are not ready at the appointed time. Arrive half an hour early, h3ll I might be in the shower still. Does that make me self-centred? Don't think so.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 125
Posted: 7/20/2013 9:15:59 AM
[hamilton12345) 2. Where did she say she was "fiddle-farting" on the internet? What she said was that she was replying to emails. Catch me 30 minutes early and I might be doing the same thing.

She might have said she was replying to emails; however, unfortunately for her, I wasn't born last night...

It's called working, not internet addiction.

See my previous comment regarding my birthing time.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Am I wrong to expect old fashioned manners?