Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Early retirement??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pangaean
Msg: 26
Early retirement??Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
@1388SmartBlonde it's a safe bet that you can kiss your 'standard' (among other standards) of retirement goodbye...

'The Coming Collapse of Retirement in America'

"Dr. Jack Rasmus will address the topic, ‘The Coming Collapse of Retirement in America’ on today’s Alternative Visions show. The discussion will look at the 6 elements of the retirement system in the US: Private defined benefit pensions, 401k plans, personal savings, retiree health benefits, social security, and medicare. The retirement system in America set up in the late 1940s-early 1950s originally called for a ‘3-legged stool’ of incomes, composed of one-third retirement income from defined benefit pensions, one third from personal savings, and one third from social security. The first two of those legs have already collapsed. And now Congress is about to begin breaking the last leg, social security and medicare, with its upcoming deficit cuts. This will intensify as Congress restores defense spending cuts previously scheduled, and enacts big corporate tax cuts later in the year. The consequences of collapsing retirement incomes affecting 70 million people will be significant, Dr. Rasmus argues, and will hold back any sustained economic recovery in the US in 2013-14 and beyond, as GDP data for the fourth quarter 2012 just issued today show the US economy may have already entered the ‘double dip’ recession..."

That Radio Show from The Progressive Radio Network here:
~ http://prn.fm/2013/01/30/alternative-visions-the-coming-collapse-of-retirement-in-america-013013/#ixzz2KZ6VRC7N

Here's some added news for those who've been paying less attention: There will, in all likelihood, be an extended recession over possibly decades, not just a 'double dip' one. Try a collapse of multiple dips down a stairs to some sort of floor that no one's sure about. No pundit, no expert-- contrary to what some might try to make you think otherwise. We are entering uncharted waters.

To those who think they're retired, just wait 'till hyperinflation, devaluation, social unrest and infrastructure degradation, etc., kicks in. If you're lucky, you'll kick the bucket beforehand.

For the rest; you ain't seen nothin' yet.

"Welcome To Hyperinflation Hell: Following Currency Devaluation, Belarus Economy Implodes, Sets Blueprint For Developed World Future"
~ Zero Hedge
 girliegirl10
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:01:07 AM
I must say....I have never met an early retire' in real life. Earliest age is late 60's. Thank you for the military info and civil service info. How wonderful to retire so young and still have a long life to persue one's dreams!!
 Ready_Real
Msg: 28
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/11/2013 11:53:01 AM
Simply asking a POP [person of potential] romantic why s/he has retired relatively young is just that: a pretty simple thing to do. Whether/not the circumstances leading to anyone's relatively early retirement are among the things we as individuals find attractive, is like any other thing (i.e. non/smoker, child/less, geographically located within 10/1000 miles, a person with an STD/not etc. etc) an entirely individual and personal dating preference.

I just retired but have zero desire to move to Florida. Which makes me highly unattractive to any otherwise POP gentleman who is absolutely seeking a retiree sharing his dream of building a retirement home anywhere in that state -- or south of Philadelphia -- where the two of them can sit on the beach drinking margaritas all day to their hearts' content. Then again, if he wanted to build a cabin in the the Blue Ridge Mountains or an adobe hut (with air-conditioning) backing up to any one of Southwest Utah's gorgeous Red Rock parks where the two of us could hike all day to our hearts' content, it's highly likely I'd be on a plane south yesterday:)
 timeforall
Msg: 29
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/11/2013 12:32:31 PM
There is a lot to say for the fact that due to a demographic shift, the baby boomers getting older and downsizing, not spending as much money, and no generation there to replace these big spenders, that we are in fact going to have a large and lengthy downturn in the economy. Nothing imminent, but it is out there, like an Asteroid ready to strike.

Our problem right now however is deflation, not inflation.

^^^^^^^ Florida is not for the young and single, but it is a comfortable lifestyle to not have to deal with all of the Hustle and Bustle in the NorthEast. Of course, if you are young and single, that hustle and bustle is what you should be seeking.
 charles9865
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/12/2013 9:50:48 AM
Though I do not "list" me as retired..... I am and have been for almost ten years..... Military
 WomanInSF
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/12/2013 11:10:12 AM
Few of the “retired” ones that I’ve met were really unemployed and tried to find some work for cash. I am sure that there are people who are really retired and have money for a decent lifestyle, just not the ones that I’ve met.
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/12/2013 11:14:50 AM
I retired early.

I couldnt find a job in telcommucations in Dallas in 1999, so I quit working and started trading. After more than 5 years of doing that, it isn't like I have a choice anymore. My job was very high tech, it moves very quickly so I am out of date with the technology.

Trading is kind of like being retired, sometimes I don't trade for months.

If I could have found a job in 1999, I would have kept it. More work, it's not like I can take off for more than a month, but no worries about losing money, and I was making between 80,000 - 120,000, depending on bonus.

If someeone asks me my income, I am at a loss about what to say, because it can vary hugely year to year. It can go from a yearly loss to a huge gain.
 ladyc4
Msg: 33
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/12/2013 12:15:21 PM
Round these parts, the early retirement package-aka "buyout" is not uncommon. However, I think that there is less of that going on now. Also some employers offered a "30 yrs and out" option. As has been mentioned, a military "lifer" can retire in 20 yrs.
I think one just has to be observant and a good listener, if one is concerned about the source and/or quantity of a prospective relationship partners' income.
I've also read topics here over the years that claim "self-employed" is also a cover for being unemployed and/or disabled. This may be true but I've also seen self-employed people that are working their asses off, or people who have several income sources, and putting "self employed" is much easier than listing several occupations.

There is also the fact that someone could claim employment that they USED to have, or a craft/skill/profession that they are no longer able to pursue.
Anyone who wishes to screen out other individuals who do not list a specific occupation/identifiable income range, is certainly free to do so.
Cindy O
 BrookeAda
Msg: 34
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/12/2013 2:25:30 PM

I've also read topics here over the years that claim "self-employed" is also a cover for being unemployed and/or disabled.

Cover for being disabled? Why all the prejudge? I work for a Non Profit dealing with the Disabled. How does a disability make them less of a person. Tell that to the Vet who lost a limb defending your Freedom. Many "disabled" people can and do support themselves even though they are no longer able to work full time. Perhaps they received a settlement.
 mjinict
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:48:51 AM
I agree, Zamboni. If a person is on SSDisability, putting 'retired' on a profile is not being dishonest. They should however, disclose this within a few emails or phone calls or it would seem like they are withholding information, IMO.
 ohenryx
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:51:15 AM

ladyc4
Round these parts, the early retirement package-aka "buyout" is not uncommon. However, I think that there is less of that going on now.

In 2002, with 30 years in and fully vested, I received a buyout which included 2 full years of severance pay. I doubt we’ll ever see such things again.

I was retired for 7.5 years, went back to work due to a combination of circumstances.

The one I would like to ask about is “student”. I see more and more women in their 40’s and 50’s listing their occupation as student, which really leaves me scratching my head.
 mjinict
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:56:36 AM
^^^Perhaps because they were laid off their previous job and decided to gain new skills for the changing job market?
 ladyc4
Msg: 38
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 10:00:46 AM

How does a disability make them less of a person. Tell that to the Vet who lost a limb defending your Freedom. Many "disabled" people can and do support themselves even though they are no longer able to work full time. Perhaps they received a settlement.

Perhaps "cover" was a bad choice of words on my part. I apologize. I am not the one implying here that a disabled person-regardless of the reason!- is "less of a person"!
The OT reads
am just curious, I have seen many men's profiles ages in late 40's and 50's who list "retired" as their employment. Has anyone else noticed this. I wonder if this also means SSI or some other disability......
It is a question..and from the wording,I can only speculate that "SSI or some other disability" may be an issue for the OP. Everyone has the right to set their own boundaries, parameters, conditions and terms of whom and how they choose to date.And Everyone else has the right to disagree with someone's set of standards. I'm sure that there ARE situations where outrage and verbal browbeating have caused someone to modify their standards but I don't think it's common.
For the record, I personally DO NOT regard anyone who is a recipient of SSI, SSD benefits, or Veterans' benefits to be "less of a person". But there are still a lot of people who believe anyone with an APPARENT disability is looking for a caregiver, and anyone whose disability is not readily observable is a malingerer. I KNOW better. Oh, I don't disagree that both categories of disabled person exist, but I would never be so ignorant as to presume that these scenarios are the norm.
Also, note that I also mentioned "unemployed" as another situation that might be glossed over by the term "retired".In some cases this might be a "cover" for a person who cannot work because they are in process of a disability benfit claim( whether it be SSI, SSD,Veterans, or private insurance benefits) Unfortunately, much as honesty is (allegedly) prized in the dating-site world, listing oneself as "unemployed" is pretty much the equivalent of putting "serial killer" in the "Occupation" blank.

As for 'student'- I would guess that in many cases this is just as message#43 commented. In fact, mny of these "students" may be actually working at some "menial" or "dead end" job while they upgrade their education and skills.

And lets look at the OTHER side of the coin- people who DO have some(legal and honest) resources and don't want to deal with being courted/pursued by those with dollar signs in their eyes.That would also include people who do have income from investments, insurance benefits, settlements,buyouts. What better way to weed out gold-diggers, than claiming "retirement", "self-employed" or "student"?
Cindy O
 radarrr007
Msg: 39
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 10:54:13 AM
I agree with everything Zamboni says...
They should have a header "Forced to Retire"...
Hurt at work...
Wasn't my fault...
Forced into the system...
Almost crashed and burned, watched it happen to others..
 DrummingNut
Msg: 40
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:22:57 PM
Definition of retired, that I found:
Withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career.

I'm one of those "disabled" that some of the people seem to think are to be avoided because gosh we are ... what, I don't know. Some lower life form or something.

Telling me I'm LYING by saying "retired" really gets me f*cking mad.
I RETIRED(see definition) from my profession, one I loved and one I was very good at doing.

Why, or how old when I retired, or how much money I get now, or where my money comes from is just no one's business to look DOWN on me about.

As for a relationship, I'd enter it with enough money coming in to fully cover myself.
Maybe some of these people just want their picked person to enter with enough to cover them too? Yup.
AND guess what? My money probably will continue to come in each month till I die which some of these people who think they're better than me might end up wishing for happening in their lives.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 41
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/13/2013 6:55:31 PM
50-somethings are the right age to have had stock/options from the tech surge in the 1980s-1990s. I retired once at age 39 on my employee tech stock options.

Unfortunately didn't diversify well enough and had to go back to work a few years after the 2000 market crash.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 42
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/14/2013 1:17:45 PM
I would never retire if I can help it. Might not work as much but would never retire. I like the challenges of work and deal with people. I need to work my brain give it a workout every day. I get a high everytime I succeed doing things. For the life of me I can't see my self spending days at home not doing much.
Had a client who was at the time 98 years old. Really enjoyed talking to him he had a mind as sharp as any I ever talked to, With enough life experince to humble (sp) most people. He mentioned that out of all his friends he is the only one still alive. The big diffrence between him and them was they retired and started to slow down. Till they just died. He worked all his life, Always was a reason for him to get up in the morning and do things. He didn't do it for the money as he was very wealthy. Many times it was nothing more then volunteer at the hospital. But he never stoped doing something. The one advice he told me that I took to heart, Was never stop never slow down or death would catch up with you. He lived alone took care of him self. Had a cleaning lady come over to clean his place once a week and cook him some food for dinner for the week and he made him self breakfast and lunch to take to work. I wish that when I be 98 I would be like him.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 43
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/14/2013 7:20:36 PM

I would never retire if I can help it. Might not work as much but would never retire. I like the challenges of work and deal with people. I need to work my brain give it a workout every day. I get a high everytime I succeed doing things. For the life of me I can't see my self spending days at home not doing much.

I, personally, don't know a single retired person who sits at home watching TV or otherwise withdrawn from life. I certainly didn't. Many people are just as busy and engaged in retirement as when working, they're just doing it in an area they WANT to for personal pleasure, rather than to pay the bills.

The one I would like to ask about is “student”. I see more and more women in their 40’s and 50’s listing their occupation as student, which really leaves me scratching my head.

When I retired at 39 (high tech employee stock options) I did what I'd wanted to do since I was 9 yrs old - I went to law school and became a lawyer. So, yes, at 40 I would have listed by occupation as student. But I was hardly starving.
 frogbottom
Msg: 44
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/14/2013 9:12:18 PM
The company I worked for had an early retirement program and since I qualified, I retired at 58 years old. I didn't retire rich but I have enough money and can earn more if need be. What can never be earned again is time and I'm rich in time to do the things I enjoy. Now if I just had someone with whom to enjoy the time.
 Latticuss
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 9:03:05 AM
Let's say you are "Retired", As in Living on $600 a month in Section 8 housing. Barely surviving. Best thing to do would be to date exclusely below your economic class. For instance, to homeless person or someone else with zero financial stability, You would seem pretty well off and comfortable. There would have to be some kind of vetting process in order to weed out the gold diggers. Because the first thing they are going to do is try to move in with you.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 46
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 12:48:15 PM
CynthiaSM, I been dealing with people from all walks of life for many years now. I seen so many people that when they retire the first year of two they would go places and do things. After a couple of years they start to slow down and do less. Till they find them selves not doing much any more. Do all of them act like that? The answer is no, Some of then are just as active and some even more then before. But the majorty do slow down and fall into the comfort grove. Most people who are active tend to have an active mind as well.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 1:00:46 PM
It can mean any number of things, including "long term unemployed through no fault of his own"....and has given up looking for work, because it's a lost cause. You have to ask.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 1:10:36 PM
How I envy you Cynthia SM......becoming a lawyer when you were over 40!
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 49
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 5:34:26 PM
I think the issue around the word retired in this day and age and for our age group implies something voluntary. As in you worked at your job for 30 years so you can retire, or you invested your money very wisely and at 45 or so, you can afford to no longer go to the office every day.

I don't think that anyone is saying that they won't date someone who is disabled, what they are saying is that in the most commonly accepted definition of the word retired, someone collecting ODSP or CPPD or whatever it is called where you live, does not meet the definition of "retire".

In the end, why not be fully honest in your profile, saying retired implies something different than a disability pension. If you have a disability, say so. When I was dating from this website, I was completely honest about my physical impairments and what I needed to do to be healthy. Yes, I work full-time, but I still suffer from a physical impairment and there is no point in not having it out in the open right from the start.
 bzyberd
Msg: 50
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/21/2013 3:54:46 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean SSI or disability. I retired from the military after a 20 year career and became an
instant full time mother/housewife. My youngest son is now 20 so in a sense, I have retired from being a full
time mother since I'm not raising my children any longer. Yes, I have a retirement income and I do get some
financial support from the ex as is my due for raising our children for 28 years, mostly without his help as his
employment kept him away from home 50% or more of those child rearing years. I do not have to work and
the older I get, the more I shy away from applying for jobs because of my age and the fact that employers
know I could up and "retire" in the next 6 years - so why bother hiring me at this stage! It should not be an
instant "red flag" or mean anything. When in doubt, ask!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Early retirement??