Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Early retirement??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 46
Early retirement??Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
CynthiaSM, I been dealing with people from all walks of life for many years now. I seen so many people that when they retire the first year of two they would go places and do things. After a couple of years they start to slow down and do less. Till they find them selves not doing much any more. Do all of them act like that? The answer is no, Some of then are just as active and some even more then before. But the majorty do slow down and fall into the comfort grove. Most people who are active tend to have an active mind as well.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 1:00:46 PM
It can mean any number of things, including "long term unemployed through no fault of his own"....and has given up looking for work, because it's a lost cause. You have to ask.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 1:10:36 PM
How I envy you Cynthia SM......becoming a lawyer when you were over 40!
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 49
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/15/2013 5:34:26 PM
I think the issue around the word retired in this day and age and for our age group implies something voluntary. As in you worked at your job for 30 years so you can retire, or you invested your money very wisely and at 45 or so, you can afford to no longer go to the office every day.

I don't think that anyone is saying that they won't date someone who is disabled, what they are saying is that in the most commonly accepted definition of the word retired, someone collecting ODSP or CPPD or whatever it is called where you live, does not meet the definition of "retire".

In the end, why not be fully honest in your profile, saying retired implies something different than a disability pension. If you have a disability, say so. When I was dating from this website, I was completely honest about my physical impairments and what I needed to do to be healthy. Yes, I work full-time, but I still suffer from a physical impairment and there is no point in not having it out in the open right from the start.
 bzyberd
Msg: 50
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/21/2013 3:54:46 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean SSI or disability. I retired from the military after a 20 year career and became an
instant full time mother/housewife. My youngest son is now 20 so in a sense, I have retired from being a full
time mother since I'm not raising my children any longer. Yes, I have a retirement income and I do get some
financial support from the ex as is my due for raising our children for 28 years, mostly without his help as his
employment kept him away from home 50% or more of those child rearing years. I do not have to work and
the older I get, the more I shy away from applying for jobs because of my age and the fact that employers
know I could up and "retire" in the next 6 years - so why bother hiring me at this stage! It should not be an
instant "red flag" or mean anything. When in doubt, ask!
 Padawan61
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:27:03 PM
Great engineering job + no children + smart investing = freedom 55

Lousy shoeshine job + taxed to death + crappy investing = freedom 105.
 Pangaean
Msg: 52
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/21/2013 11:04:05 PM
"In most countries, the idea of retirement is of recent origin, being introduced during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Previously, low life expectancy and the absence of pension arrangements meant that most workers continued to work until death...

Nowadays most developed countries have systems to provide pensions on retirement in old age, which may be sponsored by employers and/or the state. In many poorer countries, support for the old is still mainly provided through the family..."
~ Wikipedia

"Central government -- the Central State -- has been in the expansion mode for so long that the process of contracting government is completely alien to the nation, to those who work for the State, and to those who are dependent on the State. Thus we have little recent historical experience of Peak Government and few if any conceptual guideposts to help us understand this contraction.

Peak Government... is a reflection of four key systemic forces that drove State expansion are now either declining or reversing...

The twin peaks of oil and government are causally linked: central government's great era of expansion has been fueled by abundant, cheap liquid fuels. As economies powered by abundant cheap energy expanded, so did tax revenues.

Demographics also aided Central States’ expansion: as the population of working-age citizens grew, so did the work force and the taxes paid by workers and enterprises.

The third support of Central State expansion was debt, and more broadly, financialization, which includes debt, leverage, and institutionalized incentives for speculation and misallocation of capital. Not only have Central States benefited from the higher tax revenues generated by speculative bubbles, they now depend on debt to finance their annual spending...

The fourth dynamic of Central State expansion is the State’s ontological imperative to expand. The State has only one mode of being, expansion. It has no concept of, or mechanisms for, contraction."
~ Charles Hugh Smith

But contract it will.
 Freudian
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:49:52 AM
^^^ Yeah, just what I always wanted, a political diatribe on a relationship forum.

Bet you're the life of the party.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 54
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:13:40 AM

Cover for being disabled? Why all the prejudge? I work for a Non Profit dealing with the Disabled. How does a disability make them less of a person. Tell that to the Vet who lost a limb defending your Freedom. Many "disabled" people can and do support themselves even though they are no longer able to work full time. Perhaps they received a settlement.

My last boyfriend had a prosthetic leg and a good job. Dating a person with a permanent disability was not that big a deal. Where I think the big deal comes into play for the OP is when someone who is long-term unemployed, on welfare or SS disability as their only source of income fraudulently portrays themselves as "self-employed" or "retired" in order to seem more financially stable/dateable. It is a sneaky lie of sorts, Webster Dictionary definition and political commentary aside, and THAT, more than the disability or income source itself, is a reason to pass that person by.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/22/2013 10:10:44 PM
I hope to be where you are frogbottom -- within a year.
 Pangaean
Msg: 56
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/23/2013 12:36:46 AM
Forest_Explorer, you can of course edit Wikipedia, the quoted article of which has external references, and thanks for the elaboration, a strain as perhaps it might have been for Freudian. Perhaps he's had too much to drink-- life of the party and all that...

"Using the data provided by the United State Bureau of Labor Statistics, Erik Rauch has estimated productivity to have increased by nearly 400%. Says, Rauch:
'...if productivity means anything at all, a worker should be able to earn the same standard of living as a 1950 worker in only 11 hours per week.'
...Since the 1960s, the consensus among researchers (anthropologists, historians, sociologists), has been that early hunter-gatherer societies enjoyed much more leisure time than is permitted by capitalist and agricultural societies..."
~ Wikipedia

We are essentially a tribal/band species-- basically anarchic, incidentally-- and I think it's very helpful to keep this context in mind when evaluating current concepts/constructs.

Most people, including many posters on this thread, seem to have lost this concept entirely. ~ Forest_Explorer

We have lost far too much, in part within the myth of progress.
 ozarkresident
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 2/27/2013 1:44:33 PM
I put retired on my profile because I am not actively working at a job. My company shut down a few years ago and I decided to sell some of my property and live on the proceeds. Until My life style changes ,I will probably stayed retired
 turnitover1959
Msg: 58
Early retirement??
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:45:07 PM
Yes it can mean disabilty. I am on ssdi and definitely retired. MOST people on ssdi are disabled through no fault of their own. You can work in a hazardous field and easily become disabled. It is an insurance policy that was created because we live in a civilized society. I did not retire broke and handle my finances well. I also do not hide my disability in my profile. The challenge of a disability is a job in itself. I would believe most people do not hide it in their profiles because its impossible to hide a disability. I am happy to face this challenge but get annoyed with people that compare it to welfare. I paid for it ahead of time. I am sorry if people weren't honest with you but disability by definition is definitely retired.
 bff99
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 4/5/2013 1:45:55 PM
disability can mean a lot of things..mental? physical? and covers a wide range of unique individuals. it is important to understand the nature of the impairment and how it affects one's lifestyle. a disabled person can still live quite a normal life. dont make disability a negative, because everyone has strengths and weaknesses. disability, does not mean dumb, or poor, or uneducated, or unable to be a potentially fine partner. especially at an older age...like over 40....a lot of
people have all sorts of problems with arthritis, diabetes, heart problems, and take all sorts of prescription drugs etc..
so just because a man or woman has retired on the basis of disability in their 40's or 50's, should not be overlooked.
For older adults, just having a friend to be able to visit and maybe have a bit of romance with is about the most you should expect. If you still want to...nobody is stopping you from going out jogging, hiking, mountain biking, dancing, running, etc... in fact good for you if you can do that. but to find a partner who is able to do that with you is asking a bit much. at my age...55 this month....in 2013...I would just be happy to have a decent conversation with a attractive companion over dinner and hanging out together.
 wasatchsteve
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Early retirement??
Posted: 4/6/2013 1:52:34 PM
Some of us actually *did* retire early by choice because we made good investments and got burned out on the job.

So what should we put down as a vocation that won't scare women off? I suppose I could put down real estate investor, but I only spend about 4 hours a week doing that. What about "non-profit"? I spend more time doing that, but it's unpaid volunteer work, so that doesn't seem quite right either.

In this economy I'm pretty surprised by a lot of the responses on here. I'd think that a financially secure man with a paid off house, no credit card debt, and a stable source of income would be a big plus, but I guess not.
 NYCmasterplumber
Msg: 61
Early retirement??
Posted: 4/6/2013 2:05:39 PM
I retired @40 and was bored stiff as how much can one travel?

I started up another company made an amazing living. When the Savage was elected and said "spread the wealth" I fired all my employees figuring the government can better handle their finances' and medical care and housing then I could. I put in for social security and still work but take no salary INCOME yes salary no
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Early retirement??