Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DrummingNut
Msg: 76
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

So thinking your kids will look after you when you're old and frail doesn't always go according to plan.
Very true. In some families.

Thank goodness mine have already proven how fast they could and would and did change their lives around .. back when I was 50 and had the accident that threw me into this chair.

Thankfully I regained ability to live alone again ..(and am now actually living hours away).

I know, though, that they'd again jump in for me if the need comes again.

Some families are like that. Mine is.
Some aren't. A real shame..
 DragonBits
Msg: 77
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???
Posted: 2/12/2013 1:25:48 PM
I see that most of you youngsters are 2-20 years younger than me, not sure if anyone is older. (at least according to your profiles}

Let me give you some advice. Find friends much younger than you are. If you make it to 85 years of age, 90% of friends that are now your current age will either be dead or can't make it out of the home without help.

You have time enough now to make younger friends.
 DragonBits
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/12/2013 1:38:08 PM

Haha no way! I had a similar experience with Eharmony, I had like 2 matches in the whole province, but a friend who joined at the same time was totally inundated with matches, lol..

I wonder why that is? I signed up for a year, but at one time I didn't check in eharmony for 3 months, then I had accumulated a 1000 matches. One big difference, I had no filter for distance, it was world wide. It's a computer doing the matching, so it isn't like someone elected to want to chat with me.

Then by working 4-8 hours a day on it, I answeered like 400 matches in a few days, I had a word doc with answers to all their questions, so I could cut and paste answers into any question that was asked. Makes it go a lot faster, and I don't change my answers regardless of who is asking. And you can see trends better by looking at things this way.

Maybe 25% of the 300 responded, no doubt some dropped out because of the long time lag.

I have no experiece with PoF as my profile was only visible for about 2 weeks, I am only on here for the forums.
 Temptation7
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/12/2013 6:19:49 PM
Well hun, this is how it goes. Life is a watermelon, you don't know how sweet it will be till you open it up.

being alone, have never experienced it as I was in a 20 year marriage then into a 4 year relationship with a man I met online. Scared of being alone. I guess I put up with alot of shit from both of them. It is scary but we will never know if being alone or having someone there but not there is the same thing. So unless that person is going to be your soul mate and be there for you through thick or thin. Being alone is not so bad.
 My_name_is_paul
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/13/2013 9:11:26 PM
Unless you are ready to compromise you really have no choice in the matter.

Look at all the people on PoF... you would think that people would be matching up and marrying right and left.
 Lucky...13
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/13/2013 9:31:44 PM
In the infamous words of Bobby McFerrin......Don't Worry Be Happy!
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/13/2013 10:51:46 PM
As soon as they figure out how to make those "livedolls" fetch beer, I'll be over it.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/14/2013 12:55:13 AM
On the contrary, I'm actually comfortable with the thought. I have family and friends who love me so I'll never really be alone anyway.
 rod1919us
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2013 7:25:40 PM
I'm actually looking forward to it. In fact I've kinda made it my mission to prove a point. You don't have to get married to live a good life. Some of the most miserable people in the world are married. Doesn't anyone watch Tyler Perry?? LOL! Anyways, I figure I can own my own home(s), car(s), money, travel the world, while maintaining my health. And reality is, if people really stop to think about it, loneliness is really boredom. The only times I ever thought about finding someone is when I'm bored, which is why I always like to keep my schedule full. And when I do date it's like "eh don't want to be bothered." I've lived with my uncle and his wife before she passed and all they did was fuss and argue. Who wants to live like that? Being alone really isn't that bad...unless you don't like peace and quietness. But then again...most women don't. lol
 rod1919us
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2013 7:28:18 PM

On the contrary, I'm actually comfortable with the thought. I have family and friends who love me so I'll never really be alone anyway.

This...with the exception I'm very selective of which family members I socialize with. I'd rather live alone in peace and quietness than to have to live with someone who I'm constantly arguing and fighting with everyday.
 Maleman999
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/14/2013 7:46:57 PM
Women that are destined to grow old alone are the ones that are constantly bytching and moaning saying all men are perverts and are only interested in sex, and keep spewing that up until they are 6 feet under. Even then, I swear I can see the dirt being shaken on their graves at times because the bitterness is trying to escape from the coffin. Believe me, when you're 70 or 80 years old or even younger, men are not lining up to have sex with you. At that point, you wish they would.
 Insanity_Inc
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:05:34 PM
This is a topic I have been thinking more and more about lately. I am getting used to and liking living alone. Doing what I want when I want. Not having to worry about feeding or cleaning up after anyone else.

That being said, I still cannot seem to let go of the hope of having a truly loving accepting man in my life. I just cannot picture yet how exactly he would fit..... Guess I'll figure that out if and when I meet him :)
 McHarris1949
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:13:58 PM
Speak for yourself, DontAskMe... There is a big difference between being alone and being lonely. I have spent most of my adult life alone. I've had 2 marriages and no kids. Having someone special would be very nice. That is why I'm on this site. But if I never find that someone, then so be it. I will survive. I have a circle of friends. New ones are added as some of the older ones drop off. There is still too much out there to do to set at home waiting for my knight in shining armor to ride in.
 auntyemm
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:41:26 PM
there is no such thing as a knight in shing armor.When people stop believing in faiy tales then there will be a lot less lonely people
 Padawan61
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2013 9:32:16 PM
I also worry dying alone and not being found for days

Why?? Once dead ... I doubt you will care very much about what happens afterwards. Besides, we're all biodegradable ... and I bet the vultures can take care of the remains long before decay sets in. The only thing to really worry about growing old alone is ... falling over and can't get up.

And my cat loves me :)

I find that highly questionable. Your cat probably sees you as a meal-ticket.
 auntyemm
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/14/2013 9:43:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LMAO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/15/2013 10:19:29 AM
If one has a friend, then why worry? Behind this statement, is the adage - to have a friend, you must be a friend. One will have to get away from the "me" syndrome that makes up most of the world these days and go out and put some real effort in to being a friend. That way, the concern about growing old alone becomes a non-issue.

(As an extension to this, by putting in more effort and having more than one friend, if something adverse comes along to see the removal of one friend, there will be another there - this might be called prudence, or insurance.)

Bottom line, less talk - more action is required.
 ClassyAngel1
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/15/2013 6:01:04 PM
I used to worry when I was younger, about growing old alone and not having that someone special to share my life experiences with, but now that I have matured, If it happens to be, it happens to be, but sometimes I think that I am destined to be alone without a companion & that is something that I have accepted,but who really calls the shots on this?
Knowing that I have my loving family around me, and friends, life is what you make of it. I am still open to meeting someone special, don't get me wrong, but my life is good now, and I would really want to be with that special person who thinks I am a special person too!
 DameWrite
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2013 8:06:36 PM
Not at all, too many people in this world to worry about that. I'm more concerned about falling in love again and having that person croak on me.

OP there are single parents, women, men, teens... so many people out there that if you don't want to live alone...you don't have to, just share your place.
 Patrick45015
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2013 9:01:50 PM
I am lucky I am living my dream. It kinda makes it tougher for a mate to fit in but oh well, I am definitely not complaining
 passion2pleaseaz
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/15/2013 11:26:01 PM
i always worried about being old and alone.for years i really was bothered by the thought of this happening to me. as i have become older i have realized you can't worry about things like this because it effects living in the present.

the saying about stop living in the past,live for the present and look forward to the future really is wise and prudent to staying sane and happy.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/16/2013 7:12:53 AM

In a world that sees so much Infidelity and Indecisiveness , is it possible to find a soulmate? It seems like its so hard nowadays to find a mate let alone a spouse that will love you unconditionally till the end....

I was wondering if other people worry about growing old alone. Ive seen so many people that are widowed, left for another after 10,20, 30 years- I know I cant be alone when I worry about this question.

Any thoughts because I would love to hear other peoples prespectives......

I have kids, pets, friends and a social life - not too worried about being "alone"
 JGirlSD
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:26:16 AM
I was thinking about this again last night when yet another stupid internet 'meet and greet' cancelled...I may be alone in the sense I won't have a romantic relationship, but I have close friends and good family and will ALWAYS have a pet. I choose dogs because no matter what people say about cats, dogs actually love you back..cats? LOL..who knows?
 S58
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:29:25 AM
DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse "Everyone who says they're okay living alone are a bunch of liars. Par for the course on POF. Pets don't cut it."

Hi DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse,

I use to think like that to a point when I was in my 30’s to 40’s. I’ve been married twice… and through great investments (praise Jesus and the bible) I’ve been retired since my early 50’s. Now am in my 60’s and have found that living alone is perfectly fine. I have great friends, and gatherings at my house as well as being invited to their gatherings. I volunteer at the church and lunch with others. My house stays clean and my dog loves me… LOL.
After my experiences in past relationships, living alone but having great friends and other things has filled that void. It’s really peacefully… I am not making this up.

I’ve have learn that Women and Men today are so independent and have totally DIFFERENT VALUES that bonding is near impossible and in most cases impossible. If not, why are more people single today that ever in the past? Am not saying that this is bad, wrong or right, just that this is how it is…

For me, the ONLY time that living alone can be a NEGATIVE is when one is getting sick, and at age 60 and beyond, that can be the flu to a stroke or even worse. I have friends that would help me (and have in the past) but they too need to pursue their life.

I hope this helps you (DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse) in maybe re-thinking the part about us being liars....
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2013 9:36:54 AM
I was thinking about this again last night when yet another stupid internet 'meet and greet' cancelled...I may be alone in the sense I won't have a romantic relationship, but I have close friends and good family and will ALWAYS have a pet. I choose dogs because no matter what people say about cats, dogs actually love you back..cats? LOL..who knows?

I know!!! I never go to bed and never wake up without my cat coming over to cuddle for a bit, she purrs, gets her head rubbed and loves attention, hell sometimes I have to tell her enough and push her away. In fact when I'm posting on these forums she continually bumps my hand and wants attention.

I'm a cat lover and I never cancel meet & greets so maybe it's only dog lovers that do...lol. Of course I'm joking but don't sell cats short, some have great personalities. As for growing alone, I'm still in bed at 9:30 AM and I could have never done that married so alone has it's advantages at times.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???