Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CyclistWill77
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I think about it, but then I live alone and always have. At this point, all my friends are married, and hanging out with them makes me feel like a 3rd wheel most of the time. At this point I'd just like to know what its like to not be single. On the rare occasion when I've ended up injured (thrown my back out or sprained and ankle or something along those lines) the fact that I'm single becomes very obvious.

I honestly don't know if I'd rather be single or attached, I've never had the opportunity to find out. Hopefully someday I'll have the chance to find out.
 JGirlSD
Msg: 102
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:28:04 AM
TuMuchFun...LOL..funny !! I like cats too...I used to have two. One was affectionate the other very aloof. Unfortunately, I am allergic and my dog is afraid of them!
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:35:29 AM

At this point, all my friends are married, and hanging out with them makes me feel like a 3rd wheel most of the time. At this point I'd just like to know what its like to not be single.

Man I never feel like a 3rd. wheel. I think my friends all live vicariously thru me, they only hope to channel my energy. I remember everyday what it was like not to be single.
 RAFlady
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2013 6:27:52 PM
I am sure worry makes things worse.
I actually went out this evening and had a great time. Only one alcoholic drink and you can still have fun!
Sadly the men I have met on here make it pretty clear what they want..they are a little forward, making suggestions that just show no respect. If you just say you're happy to be friends, ping, they're gone.
Any ladies around the Loughborough area who would like to get out and about more let me know...we all need friends and we meet people through people. We have to use the internet but also still make the effort to get out and have fun. Life is too short.
 larissan04
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/16/2013 7:28:04 PM
There is no guarantee that a marriage/relationship is going to last. Am I worried that I will grow old alone? Sure. I would hate to grow old alone, but I'd also hate to grow old with someone who decided to stay with me out of a sense of duty or because we've been together for a long time. I want to be with someone who adores me as much as I adore him!
 Proteaus
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/19/2013 9:58:59 AM
Looking at stats . 100% of the women are after 20% of the men .Good luck with that , let us other 80% of the men know how that goes please :)
 All2rosie
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/19/2013 11:57:58 AM
lost my spouse 9yrs ago...it's been tough at times. Without a partner after 20yrs of marriage... you learn to deal with it. I don't worry so much b/c I am glad to be here - the alternative sucks!

I have learned to work on developing my interests and a develope a network of varied friends and acquaintances. Join clubs/groups, meetups of any activity that safely allows you to mingle with others with the same interests as yours.

I think you should do the things you enjoy - be the best person you can be and all else will fall in place.
I have come to a place of acceptance - if I am luck/blessed to find a partner - great. If I don't - great!
Lonliness is the root of many a mundane and lack-luster relationship don't let yourself get caught in that trap.

Better to be alone and lonley than to be with someone who makes you feel lonely - IJS.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:29:04 PM
I've figured it out...I'm never getting old, problem solved.
 vnufall
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/19/2013 3:14:41 PM
Nope there's no guarantee about anything in life. I'm an old nurse who's taken care of elderly patients since 1977. I hope my sons will be around if I get dementia, but there are always caregivers...or I hope karma will be good to me....
 awesomecatch2
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/20/2013 10:40:14 AM
One thing that I have learned with taking care of elderly people for the past ten years is
to start saving now for care. Insurance doesnt seem.to cover anything anymore and
state ran agencies I was told make you sign over all your assets to pay for your care.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 111
Posted: 2/20/2013 3:43:15 PM
I have given up on the idea that I will ever remarry. At my age (48) I will just end up taking care of some old man anyway. lol. I am moving back to my home state to be w/ my siblings so THEY can take care of me in my old age. Who knows where my kids are going to end up.
 NDTfan
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/20/2013 3:55:43 PM
I don't worry about it at all because I'm great company... for... myself.

I'm serious though. Just give me the internet, some video games and diet soda and I'm a happy girl. Having a relationship would be more like having icing on a cake, unnecessary but makes it so much better. Real buttercream, none of that waxy crap.
 christaaz
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/20/2013 6:15:53 PM
Yep...roll in my 14 cats... **sigh**
 Thomas_Andronicus
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/20/2013 8:16:07 PM
Considering the current state of affairs in the world be glad if that's all you have to worry about.
 OC28AV99
Msg: 115
Posted: 2/20/2013 9:17:04 PM
Nope, it's not gonna happen. IMHO, men need to be taken care of, so they will always be seeking out women! And they'll find us eventually :). Problem is that statistically we still outlive them...so that may cause the "alone" part... But at that point, my kids will have kids and I'll be surrounded by grandbabies like my grandparents were. Either way, you WONT be alone, ladies!! :)
 awesomecatch2
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/21/2013 5:35:55 PM
She never remarried and at her 100th birthday party she whispered to me "Don't ever live to be this old."

Ive worked with two patients, both widowed that have said this same line. My current patient cries and it breaks my heart when she says, people shouldnt live this long :/

People keep telling me on here "Dont worry your young still", well I havent had luck dating right now, so who knows what the future holds.

Im Old Fashioned in my views on dating, and unfortunately it seems that playing games, cheating and dating as many people as you can sadly seem to be the norm....
 imNOTyourPrince
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/21/2013 5:39:59 PM
as a really really really really REALLY good looking guy.
my abridged answer is HELL NO hahaha.
no seriously. it doesn't happen to everyone. Especially guys because while men are often attracted to appearance,
women are attracted to positivity and confidence.
so as long as you're a positive confident guy no matter how old you are you'll always have a young hot thing to come home to. Even 20 of them if you can handle it.
So yeah. you only need to worry about dying alone if you're a woman.
 Countrygirl6656
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/21/2013 7:59:49 PM
I truely believe I found my soulmate...then lost him. Both of our faults but although I fought for a long time There is NEVER a day that goes by after 2 years that I don't think about him. Of course we all worry about growing old alone. When you find the right person or one extremely compatable it's always great to deal with life together.
 lightningman1
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/21/2013 10:09:48 PM
Thats like asking how everybody feels about death!! Sooner or later we are all going to find out.
No point worrying about life events that you will never have control over.
 sigungq
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:14:55 PM

In a world that sees so much Infidelity and Indecisiveness , is it possible to find a soulmate? It seems like its so hard nowadays to find a mate let alone a spouse that will love you unconditionally till the end....

I was wondering if other people worry about growing old alone. Ive seen so many people that are widowed, left for another after 10,20, 30 years- I know I cant be alone when I worry about this question.

Any thoughts because I would love to hear other peoples prespectives......

Since I've never been in a relationship, and I'm now closing on 50, I have accepted the fact that I will grow old alone. I think itjust takes acceptance of the cards you've been dealt.
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:36:17 PM
No!

Not when, after consulting the relationship sages, Zen Buddhists, Love Docters, Dating Coaches, Psychological Psychoanalists, PU artists, Femanists, Marriage councillors, Lawyers, Blackjack Dealers, Hot dog stand vendors, Bartenders, Sex shop clerks, Heath care nurses, Anthropological experts, Basket weaving PhD'ers, Trailer Park managers, DJs, Urologists, Musicians, Magicians, Comedians/Comediennes, Journalists, Gypsies, Junkies, Average Joes/Janes, my Relatives, Astronauts and Business Moguls, the general concensus is that men and women are really only meant to mate for a month at a time
 Tevez129
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:25:43 PM
Hi...:)
I'm 29 years old, I being single most of my time and i'm used to it. I like few women, but they don't feel the same way i do. I believe that god has a path for everyone and if mine is to be single until i die i'm totally fine with it. Cheers and hope you find that special someone. :)
 forthewinwinwin
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/23/2013 3:54:16 PM
I'm 19, and I don't see myself in a full-blown, long, stable relationship until I'm in my late 20s when I have my career going and I am well-established myself. I would consider the idea of dating, but it is not a top priority.

I don't really think about growing old alone- but rather- in a world where divorces are so common now, I wonder what will happen to my future children and myself... I would really like to have a stable family one day that stays rather than go through the cycle of frequent breakups and have my children's lives affected, but I have my doubts if that will ever happen.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:40:56 PM
I'm turning 45 soon. Married 3x. I don't want to grow old alone. But...my reality is this...the next woman I fall in love with and want to marry must accept being my 4th wife. What are the odds a woman will want that position? I'd be happy cohabitating in a committed relationship too.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but my goal is to not be on that 50+ dating website 'Our Time'....fuc k that. I'd like to be in a committed relationship, my last one,within the next 5 years. Been on my own 2 years and honestly, dating has been tougher now then in my 20's.

We all bring 'baggage' to the table and everyone is quick to judge. So yeah, I'm scared of growing old alone. I ain't getting prettier!
 rgvmale
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:50:26 PM
Forth I had that same mindset when I was younger (school, army, have fun,etc..)..not working out so good, well the finding the other part lol. Anyways yes I do, knowing my luck ill end up alone..
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???