Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 134
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I'm never alone even when I'm by myself. I'm a Christian and as such I always feel the presence of Christ who fills my heart and mind with joy and hope. Having said that, I am content to just be 'me', yet it would be wonderful if I were to meet someone who I completely jive with and who I could discuss topics for hours and never tire of their companionship, someone who is sexy and enjoys intimacy, friendship and challenges me to stretch beyone my comfort zone to be an even better version of myself and I would do the same for them.
I'm not afraid of 'growing old' period. For me I wake up every day to a "new" day full of opportunities, things to explore and adventures, I'm excited about life whether I'm with someone or not.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:59:25 PM

One thing I was wondering with everyone is if you would settle in order to NOT grow old alone???

I think growing old alone is derived from one's fear of death.
When our time comes we have to experience it alone.

I don't think knowing that I'm leaving a widow, would be of any comfort to me.
but maybe the memories of our time sharing life together, would be enough
to get them thru
 SBM2012
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 9:51:20 PM
Yes I do because everybody needs somebody
 Strings6
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 3:44:57 AM
Old sucks,alone or otherwise....rotting on the vine.
 Fit4life55
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/4/2013 8:39:12 AM
I'm not worried about growing old alone...meaning without a significant other. Divorced now after 29 years of marriage and 3 grown children and now living alone with my dog. I'm happy in my single life. I was lonely in my marriage. I have my children, friends & family so I'm never alone. I'm only alone when I choose to be.
 Petraeus
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:19:56 AM
lol no .. i dont

10 chars
 mspunk
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/4/2013 2:30:20 PM
Well said, Zephyr!
 jlynn1955
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 4:26:47 PM
I figured out a long time ago, that there are worse things in life that being alone by yourself. Being alone even though you are with someone strikes me as worse. There are no guarantees in life or in death. You could marry your "soul mate" and he could die the next year. You could die tomorrow. There really is no way to stack the cards in your favor. There are worse things than death. One of those would be not living your life while you have a life to live. There is a woman in the alzheimer unit where my father was. She is the sweetest woman. Her husband comes everyday and they cuddle and hold hands like teenagers. I loved watching them, but it was also sad to me because I've seen so few relationships like that. Certainly, mine wasn't. But I'm not going to waste the life I have left worrying that I won't have what they have. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Live the life you have.
 awesomecatch2
Msg: 142
Posted: 3/4/2013 5:02:58 PM
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Live the life you have.

So absolutely perfectly said!!!
 IonaM
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 11:11:34 AM
Sometimes - but then I've spent most of my adult life married so in some ways the prospect of being alone now seems like a relief.

I do worry about loneliness but you can feel that just as easily with a 'partner' as without :( - as some have already mentioned that's actually worse.
 LCDizme12
Msg: 144
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:50:17 PM
I am not concerned with dying alone - just would love to spend at least a few years in a happy relationship! Then, when I am alone, I can relive some great memories.
 Chica4Uonly
Msg: 145
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:41:41 PM
My aunt and uncle were married 65 years. She was my dad's sister and he was my mom's brother. They had all the wedding anniversary celebrations. I recalled asking him Uncle how do you both do it being married so long., he replied people need to realize it's a life time commitment. Of course he was very humorous and said your aunt better realize this will be our last wedding. And it was. Now that was love. Why is it so hard now a day to find that?
 Rapunzel1964
Msg: 146
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:25:54 PM
OP,
Having worked in the health care field for over twenty years, I have seen quite a number of people grow old, and ill, alone. No matter what anyone says about their religion, their outlook, pets or whatever, old and alone is not a good place to be.

I do worry about it- especially because I do not have children.

I have a very close gay, male friend. We have agreed that if neither of us ever find The One, we will marry each other to avoid being old and alone.
 awesomecatch2
Msg: 147
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:40:24 AM
Rapunzel: OP,
Having worked in the health care field for over twenty years, I have seen quite a number of people grow old, and ill, alone. No matter what anyone says about their religion, their outlook, pets or whatever, old and alone is not a good place to be.

Im glad you can understand where I was coming from. It is very saddening and very realistic when you deal with it on an everyday basis. People keep saying they have this family and pets-sadly they rarely seem to want to come around as the years go on. People start out all gung ho to be there, then they get busy in their lives and it becomes easier and easier to slowly not visit.
 gogogo66
Msg: 148
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:39:19 AM
Am old,am alone,doesn't worry me,as know there are choices.
 gogogo66
Msg: 149
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:47:23 AM
I work aged care,and 80 plus ppl,they have been alone since their husbands died be it 30 years previous or ten,or 2,they are happy enough and live fruitfull lives.
So don't say ever you can't live alone and we all need a partner,memories are enough for them,and support of family and care workers when sick ,they live alone in their own houses.
 Proteaus
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/7/2013 7:11:41 AM
I was off the single scene for 3 years and became active a couple months ago .Hard to believe how much has changed the 3 years I was off the scene .After being back for a couple months , thinking its time to throw the towel in . Online dating has become some one's idea of a bad joke . There were game players before , but nothing like there are now .All this is now is a game .
 GrayJake40
Msg: 151
 gogogo66
Msg: 152
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:51:25 AM
HEY AM IN THE HEALTH CARE FIELD,OUR OBJECTIVE IS TO KEEP EM HOME AND HAPPY....GUESS WHAT ,THEY ARE! oops caps
most clients 80 plus....alone,but no way do they want to leave this earth yet!
sO DON'T PUT THEM IN THE SAME BOAT,TEN YEARS NOW,lost a few clients,but hey they had family etc...some have pets some don't.they are all differant like you and me,but never have I met a depressed person thats whant not to live in their 80s plus...(yeah do mental healt too,younger,blind ppl and disabled but yet to be low care? am high care at times))...think 94 was was my eldest......life goes on so don't ever put them in the same boat.....meaning..oh im old lifes over..some have more energy than me.believe u me....they are not alone,all have family,some have family that dont care,but they are not alone(we have social networks/feedback from us to make sure of that...
 MzUnderstood314
Msg: 153
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:56:28 AM
Yes. Everyday and everyday you get older and more alone
 LdyJay
Msg: 154
Posted: 3/14/2013 7:14:00 AM
I've been single by choice for many years since becoming a widow. So, I don't worry about growing old alone, and I'm already "old". I enjoy dating, being in relationships, and my alone time. As a matter of fact, when I see senior couples, it appears that they may not be as happy, or having as much fun, as me or the other single seniors I know.

They seem not to socialize as much as singles. It's almost like they tend to stay to themselves more, while singles get out and about more with other people. But, that's just my opinion.
 perre62
Msg: 155
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:08:41 AM
I've been a widower, for almost 2 years.

Would love to share what's left with another,

but know that I'll never be truly alone...
 dorani
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2013 11:16:24 AM
Its always far better to be on your own than in a miserable relationship.. at least you can do as you please when you please so no, I'm not afraid of growing old alone ,64 now and widowed 2 years ago. I would love to meet someone straight forward, happy and caring to spend time with but seems there are a lot of frogs out there to be kissed first before you find your prince!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone???