Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 2
What is a playerPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
It is another way to get one's frustrations out by name calling and making faceless judgements.
 try1more
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/14/2013 2:19:34 AM
well you get the players, the spectators and the reserves.
obviously the ones most likely to score are the players.
the reserves sit on the sidelines hoping for their big break.
dont know what the spectators get out of it :-)

players, serial daters etc, are terms most often used by those in a big rush to get partnered up.
and their intended victim? is not in the same hurry.
as lus said, there are those that will string you along to get whatever it is they want.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 10
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:36:40 AM
To me a player is an emotional manipulator. It does not always have to have a sexual motive,but sex could be a part of it. The worst are the ones who deceive themselves because they will continue to have no regard for others,where as a "player"who has "fecked up" can learn by their mistakes. This can be true of both sexes.
I have lost count of the female friends I know who have been involved with guys who play hot and cold,or break up with a women only to keep them dangling in some form so they can get a buzz out of playing with their emotions.
Pathological ego trippers who are emotionally immature and are incapable or unwilling to conduct a meaningful relationship.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:59:37 AM

You won't know you're with a player, until you realise you've been played...... and I couldn't take anyone seriously, who actually believes, that they could always and/or easily spot any player.

Try me. Given enough information and the chance to observe.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:24:01 AM

But why would a player, who's good at what they do, not factor all of that in?

Most players are quite conceited and as soon as they feel comfortable enough with the notion that they have the other persons emotions they begin to test the boundaries of what they can get away with. That's part of the buzz.

When you've got daft bints who go on about what a "decent guy" would or wouldn't do and what a player wouldn't do, surely any clued up manipulator is gonna pay attention to the common consensus?

They are very clever in working out their targets.

Plus, if people suspect someone's a player.... and then decide to avoid them, how exactly would they know for sure that their suspicions were correct.

By not taking that risk. Or, taking the risk for the fun factor believing they can easy get the feck out?

Even if they knew the person had played other people, it's no guarantee that they would've been treated the same way.

But the chances are?
If you have responsibilities and dependents then it may not be worth the risk. Even for a "bit of fun".

If people want to believe that they'd never get caught out and would always spot one..... well that's their business - I just think it's a bit foolish.

No matter how sharp people are, there's ALWAYS a possibility that you'll get caught out.

Very true. But it is spotting the signs early enough and being emotionally capable of getting out before the damage is done thats more important.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/16/2013 2:21:31 AM

There is nothing wrong with being careful when trusting people but I find this idea of being able to 'spot a player a mile away' repugnant. Its prejudging people from bones to boots with nothing more to go on than your own insecurities, ignorance or closed mindedness. It's arrogance in the worst way.

Its tantamount to seeing someone skinny and saying 'bulimia' or someone fat and saying 'lazy' before you know anything about them.

"Spotting a player a mile away " does not mean looking at someone and making a judgement as your implying. "Spotting a player" is judged on behaviour's. Very very different indeed to making a judgement based on looks.
I question your logic
 GeordieColin
Msg: 28
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/16/2013 3:16:40 AM

I don't object to the idea that people can sometimes do it.... I just disagree with the idea, that people are ALWAYS going to be right.

What I said was this.

Try me. Given enough information and the chance to observe.

I have seen enough and heard enough from friends experiences to say that I can spot a player given the criteria that I have stated above.
I would also cite my own behaviour in the past. It takes one to know one.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 30
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/16/2013 2:46:30 PM
Someone who lies - about who he is, what he does, where he lives, whether he's in a relationship or not, whether he likes you or not. A player lies. He'll say he loves you, when he doesn't. He'll say you're the one and only, whenyou aren't.

There are no guarantees, though often those who don't want a picture on site are hiding from someone. Whether it is a partner or work colleagues, you won't know. Having a picture is no guarantee that they are not players either. Players are clever, good at weaving a false story and appearing genuine. Basically, they are con men.
 scareymush
Msg: 36
What is a player
Posted: 2/17/2013 10:42:50 PM
@ msg 36

But your opinion is one thing, and others have different opinions. My point was that there was multiple posts saying pretty much the same thing every time someone gave a different viewpoint and there was no need for this.

The official name for this kind of behaviour is 'Post Whoring' and it's generally frowned upon by most moderators on different forums because it's akin to spamming and attention seeking...unofficially, I call it 'being a monumental bore'.

To me, a player is someone who abuses other people's trust, therefore anybody - regardless of their ultimate goal i.e. another notch on the bedpost or simply the amusement of conning someone into believing something untrue is true..like genuine friendship or that all of your family died in tragic circumstances and you are the one surviving member - is capable of being a player.
 scareymush
Msg: 38
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 12:58:24 AM

isn't multiple members ganging up on one person known as bullying?

In answer to your question, don't you mean the Japanese term 'bukkake'?

I certainly haven't witnessed any bullying of your beloved sometime lover here as yet...so I do believe you must be a tad confused or that you made a bit of a typo there.

BTW your above post is neither contributory or substantive enough and as such is probably against the rules not to mention totally off-topic also..Just trying to help you out here you understand, hence why I brought that to your attention....I wonder if trying to call people bullies without just cause is considered flaming...it probably is.

I'd remind you of your friends previous b1tchy behaviour towards people when they don't agree with him but I don't need to... do I?

ON TOPIC.....

my original post still stands...a player is a big fat pig with no conscience whatsoever..
 try1more
Msg: 39
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 1:26:32 AM
"I think sometimes you can tell who is playing......what they say, how they act, even past history regards this type of thing. Its not foolproof though so I could still maybe get taken in, for a short time because I'm willing to have faith and see someone as genuine until shown otherwise. Strong enough to deal with that still."

pretty much what i would say which is, give em enough rope the bad will soon hang themselves.
which means take their word for everything, give them your trust.
the easier you make it the sooner they will break it.
most cant open themselves up like this, thats why they get caught.
when i say give em your trust i of course mean a degree of it.
not getting caught will depend on being attentive and listening rather than just shutting up while waiting your turn :-)

sadly budgie many just cant do this.
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 40
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 6:13:45 AM
I expect we all have different ideas about what a "player" is .
Here is what the urban dictionary says::
Player
a guy who:
(1) doesn't understand the meaning of relationship
(2) is in full reproductive mode
(3) is very good at making girls think he is into them (also very proficient at breaking said girls hearts)
(4) often "dates" several girls at several schools (girls are often unaware of each other)
(5) is an a**hole!

This definition assumes that only men are capable of this behaviour.

Can I spot a so called "player"? Sometimes, doesn't seem to stop me getting involved as I appear to be a glutton for punishment.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 42
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 6:32:31 AM
That must be it then. People who take a (fvcking) liberty!
 Melodical
Msg: 48
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 10:15:30 AM
A player is someone who likes women so much he want's lots of them...but why does he like them so much? There are a few reasons.
1/ He has low self esteem and thinks he can boost it by bedding as many as possible.
2/ He likes the thrill of the chase.
3/ He enjoys the company of women.
4/ He wants to be seen by his peers in the company of beautiful women to increase his status within the group.
5/ He has a high sex drive.
6/ He's angry at women for some reason and want's to get his own back by transferring some of his hurt to them.
7/ He feels he has "missed out" when he was younger and is making amends.
8/ He wants to romance them to make them feel good because it makes him feel good to do so.
9/ He's not getting any from his wife or girlfriend.
10/ He's searching for "the one" and "the one" is out of his league.

I don't think any "player" can't fall in love.
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 53
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 1:14:56 PM
WTF is going on here then?
I have never seen said young man bully anyone on this forum, nor does he argue in a manner that is superior to anyone else, he is the king of persistancy that is all and more than capable of defending himself if he feels bullied.
 Jo van
Msg: 54
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 1:23:45 PM

Amazing how intellect makes a difference to how some people may see essentially the same behaviour, although does that make the behaviour worse, or better, because an intellectual will express, articulate, justify, rationalise, explain, compare, and look at the motivations for, his actions in a way that perhaps a simple 'player' wouldn t??...

That's just snobbery, or 'social conditioning', or something.
It's the same with "crazy people"[Med. Term].
If you're rich and crazy, you're said to be "eccentric",
but if you're poor and crazy, you're just "fvckin-mad". [Med. Term]

some men lets face it are pretty much ruled by their penis'!!!!!!

I can't even let a ruler get close to mine, it's like some sort of kryptonite, or a silver bullet to a vampire.

Back OT:
Players.
I would recommend the Linn Sondek, with Ittok Arm, and Troika Cartridge.
I have had mine fitted with a separate "Head" PSU, which also gives you the benefit of allowing 45's to be played, without any hassle.
I would also highly recommend 'deep-cleaning' the records, - the best 'upgrade' I ever made.
Analogue has a far better sound than digital.

scareymush
Msg: 57
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 3:55:05 PM
Dear Miss Msg 72,

I wonder if that is because you don't like him so that makes it ok?

As other people have said your pal was not being bullied at all...perhaps everybody else who believes he was not being bullied, including himself, dislikes him too or else they may have reacted like you.

Btw,he isn't and has never been my beloved,neither is he a sometime lover,he is a friend,and yes I have had sex with him on occasion in the past

Ok, so he is your beloved one-time lover then.

,maybe if you get that permenant scowl off your face and angry demeanour off your personality you might even get sex one day

Maybe I'll just take a leaf out of your book and lower my standards instead.

First you say this..

I don't recall stating people bullies,I asked if multiple members ganging up on one was bullying,I don't know

and immediately follow it up with..

people taking it upon themselves to tell someone not to post is bullying in my eyes,

you seem confused....but the implication of your post following my first one here was very obvious....you most certainly were accusing myself and others of bullying your little fella.

I jhaven't seen any ****y behaviour from him,I've seen him argue his point in a superior manner to others,maybe that is seen as ****y when your arguments have just been ripped to shreds but it isn't really

haha...awwww true love, isn't it grand...as well as very blind.

Anyway...you and your key-ring sized pal need to know that...both your personal attacks on me including deliberate lies and very aggressive language doesn't intimidate me at all.

OT: I don't think 'swingers' are 'players'...so all the swingers on here should stop feeling the need to defend players by saying they are wrongfully accused, nobody is calling you swingers players.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 59
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 5:07:55 PM
I'm with Pandora, I like penis.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 65
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/18/2013 11:19:13 PM
Msg 52

When I see people say, if you want to appeal to men/women, you need to say this, or do that, I just think that's the first rung on a ladder, where being a fill on player, is the final one.

Some people aren't doing stuff that comes naturally to them/isn't who they really are, in order to be more appealing to the opposite sex.

Admittedly, most of that guff isn't going to hurt anyone, but the principle isn't really too different.

People doing/saying certain things, in order to get someone to like them (more)

To me that alone does not indicate a player but someone so desperate as to change or pretend to be someone they are not in order to appeal to someone more. It is the trait of a weak person. Just the type a player likes to target.
And no big boy. Just because I am addressing you once more in this thread it does not mean that I want your babies. ;-)
 GeordieColin
Msg: 66
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/19/2013 1:32:31 AM

A player is a name generally bandied about by those who are unable to establish a second date ..........its theraputic name calling to cushion the successive blows of rejection.

So what is the term for those who reject everyone after their first date?
 GeordieColin
Msg: 67
view profile
History
What is a player
Posted: 2/19/2013 2:09:51 AM
Fussy ?

I am a master of disguise so it must be my personality that's consistent (:
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >