Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Has an argument ever changed your mind?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Has an argument ever changed your mind?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Are you seriously suggesting that YOU have never gotten into an argument? Ever? In your entire life?

Of course I've gotten into arguments.
That's why I now realize how wasteful and silly it is to argue with anyone about anything.

If someone wants to believe some stupid thing, I go ahead and let them.
I'm not going to try to change their mind.
Sooner or later life will beat into them the error of their ways.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 35
Has an argument ever changed your mind?
Posted: 2/19/2013 10:40:06 AM
youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Discussing/debating a TOPIC is much different from bashing the debater. Jeff Ross and The Burn and shows of that ilk spend maybe two seconds on a topic and immediately start basing each other and the audience personally. Topics NEVER get resolved that way, but it's good for a couple laughs.

NPR Radio Offers that "Intelligence Squared" Oxford-Style debate where topics are dealt with by both sides, and the live audience votes on their result. It's not always completely fair, but for the most part the debaters are pretty good at keeping away from personal attacks. Online discussion boards are NOT capable of that in any way whatsoever, because the debaters are hidden at home with NO live audience, and really NO culpability for the positions they decide to take, not take, or waffle about inside a topical argument. Trying to do so online is futile. End of discussion.
 slybandit
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/19/2013 12:49:25 PM
Of course not. Because once I've internalized belief in the truth of the conclusion of the argument, it's too much dissonance to acknowledge that I ever believed otherwise. Q.E.D.
Posted: 2/19/2013 3:29:56 PM
"Debates" over anything remotely religious have more potential to include forms of personal attacks, in contrast to just discussing the subject, because dishonest debating tricks are more prevalent and it can be more obvious that any religious apologist debater is this way. So, often the only way to debate the subject or address a particular argument within the debate is to expose and elucidate the dishonest arguing techniques. This inevitably comes in the form of a personal critique. When a debater pulls these tricks, it is disrespectful, and their motives and dishonesty must be exposed.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/19/2013 4:05:17 PM
I try not to change peoples minds in net arguments.
I simply lay out how I see things.

Sometimes events, circumstances, or new understanding can
bring light to what I've said.
And someone can understand later
what they cannot now.

I remember when most of our media and govt folks were all gung ho about that cake walk in Iraq.
At the time, I typed it would be a long screwed up mess
and we would rue ever getting involved in it.

Never convinced any of my net buds I argued fiercely with back then.
Events and circumstance changed their minds.
as it did all the media and govt folks previously gung-ho.

If you lead a horse to water ....
and it doesn't drink.
Splash the damn water in it's face,
and it will figure it out on it's own.
:-P
 jermanicus
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/19/2013 6:43:05 PM
My mind has been changed many times and that's called keeping an open mind.
 Proteaus
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/19/2013 7:58:52 PM
At one time I had beliefs but time has eroded them .Getting to the point where I view religion as probably the greatest form of control ever conceived by man .My beliefs were solid but I have never seen any evidence to back up religion . Have seen it only used as a form of control , a reason for war , a reason to commit atrocities ,etc .
 Dokkodo
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/21/2013 4:46:45 AM

Online discussion boards are NOT capable of that in any way whatsoever, because the debaters are hidden at home with NO live audience, and really NO culpability for the positions they decide to take, not take, or waffle about inside a topical argument. Trying to do so online is futile. End of discussion

To give an anecdotal example, I have had arguments over ventrilo and teamspeak with a live audience, granted of only a dozen or so people, but still.

I often argue under my actual name, not a moniker. Then when I do use a moniker, it's almost always the same one so you could indeed link it to my actual self, so I have culpability for my positions, although given the negative connotation of that word I don't think my views actually deserve culpability.

The internet is comprised of the same people that you encounter in day to day life, it's silly to think something is futile just because it's being done on a machine instead of in person, especially in this day and age.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 5:09:16 AM
I remember a few years ago getting death threats on another forum just for pointing out some context in the bible refuting some guy. All his buddies chimed in too. I wonder if people near him started recognizing his face on the street :)
 PROTON67
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/22/2013 12:10:35 PM
Yes, arguments have changed my mind many times. But the arguments have not always been between two people as much as they have been between competing ideas. Personal experience and raw data are sources I trust the most.

For example...

I was taught in grade school that Columbus discovered America, only to find out later that there were 10 million Indians already here.

I was taught in school that we descended from the Neanderthal man, only to have later DNA testing show that the original Neanderthal bone fragment was not related to humans at all.

I was taught in school that Lincoln was the next thing to deity, only to find out from a variety of raw historical facts that he was a vulgar, profane, lying, deceiving, murdering, war criminal who ought to be dug up and shot again.

I believed for a long time that there was either no God at all or that He was unreachable by us, only to have that notion refuted by personal experience with Him and His Word.

Yes, give us raw, unmolested, data and/or introduce us to personal experience, and it should not matter what we had been believing before or the source of those beliefs. We all need to be willing to be critical thinkers and not just fall back on political correctness, or what we have been taught in the past. The truth will set you free.
 PROTON67
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/22/2013 12:11:21 PM
Yes, arguments have changed my mind many times. But the arguments have not always been between two people as much as they have been between competing ideas. Personal experience and raw data are sources I trust the most.

For example...

I was taught in grade school that Columbus discovered America, only to find out later that there were 10 million Indians already here.

I was taught in school that we descended from the Neanderthal man, only to have later DNA testing show that the original Neanderthal bone fragment was not related to humans at all.

I was taught in school that Lincoln was the next thing to deity, only to find out from a variety of raw historical facts that he was a vulgar, profane, lying, deceiving, murdering, war criminal who ought to be dug up and shot again.

I believed for a long time that there was either no God at all or that He was unreachable by us, only to have that notion refuted by personal experience with Him and His Word.

Yes, give us raw, unmolested, data and/or introduce us to personal experience, and it should not matter what we had been believing before or the source of those beliefs. We all need to be willing to be critical thinkers and not just fall back on political correctness, or what we have been taught in the past. The truth will set you free.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Has an argument ever changed your mind?