Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Meteors, meteors everywhere, not a rock to blink      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 19
Meteors, meteors everywhere, not a rock to blinkPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Do you know of any record of a comet ever hitting the earth?

Comets can pass through the atmosphere, heating them enough to melt. At this point any gelatinous parts can fall to Earth without necessarily burning up.

If they were meteorite-born then they'd likely just burn up by the time they hit the surface.
 matchlight
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Meteors, meteors everywhere, not a rock to blink
Posted: 2/27/2013 8:15:54 PM
^^^^^ If there is any evidence comets contain gelatinous stuff like that, you don't say what it is, so I assume that's just your speculation. And even if they did, whether it could survive the heat of entry through the atmosphere is speculation piled on speculation.

No meteorite could have brought that jelly to earth, but quite a few meteorites have been found that contain organic compounds--and a big variety of them. Here's a paper on it I thought was interesting:

http://web.gps.caltech.edu/classes/ge133/reading/sephton.pdf
 DameWrite
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 4:24:09 PM
hmmm space semen. Cool! I hope that they're packing something other than viruses that don't want us around or viruses that do, just to rot us out. lol
 Aries_328
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 4:45:28 PM
I kept thinking someone was goint to link the russian incident to this
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/elenin20111025.html

"Elenin did as new comets passing close by the sun do about two percent of the time: It broke apart,

But apparently they knew where all the pieces went. Nothing got knocked of course or slowed down... uhh okay. If you say so.
Posted: 4/12/2014 11:12:43 PM
This thread wouldn't be uninteresting to explore for those who say that wondering about things like this are just doom-and-gloom or the next-big-scare.
 ladymercury
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/13/2014 3:43:01 PM
Could we expect a long period of more meteors?

It's possible. Although to some degree it's all I've ever known.

I live in one of the largest impact craters on earth. It's recognized most commonly as the Sudbury Basin and is close to quite a few other magnetic anomalies if we're talking geological processes.

Truth be told I have no understanding of how they come to be, but I've been stuck here for all of my life, strangely.

Nice thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Meteors, meteors everywhere, not a rock to blink