Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > why do women play hard to get in online dating? its a reason your on      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NewYorker58
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Hard to get a clue that going to a sports event is a rip offPage 17 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Yes, there was all of that too.
 cooldog65
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Hard to get a clue that going to a sports event is a rip off
Posted: 7/20/2017 8:52:13 AM

It helps that my Seahawk team became real good and won a Super Bowl.

Since you're a Noo Yawker, shouldn't you be rooting for the Jets or Giants? How much do you know about the Seahawks since you're not a true Washingtonian like I am?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 389
Posted: 7/20/2017 10:58:32 AM
Is Lakewood close to Seattle? Spent tons of Summers nearby, in laws had a place grr, what was that place's name? Now I have to google Wash city names
Pretty place, close to hood canal
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 11:06:24 AM

maybe I just Don't Get It.

so I have to ask the dumb question...why don't sports fans go watch a local school's game rather than pay thru the nose to watch a pro?

Answer:

Two words: Edward Bernays.

From "theconversation.com:

“The most interesting man in the world.” “Reach out and touch someone.” “Finger-lickin’ good.” Such advertising slogans have become fixtures of American culture, and each year millions now tune into the Super Bowl as much for the ads as for the football.

While no single person can claim exclusive credit for the ascendancy of advertising in American life, no one deserves credit more than a man most of us have never heard of: Edward Bernays.

Often referred to as “the father of public relations,” Bernays in 1928 published his seminal work, Propaganda, in which he argued that public relations is not a gimmick but a necessity:

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, and our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of…. It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind."

My words-Oh, and it helped that he had a famous uncle....one Sigmund Freud:

theconversation.com continued:

"Drawing on the insights of his Uncle Sigmund – a relationship Bernays was always quick to mention – he developed an approach he dubbed “the engineering of consent.” He provided leaders the means to “control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing about it.” To do so, it was necessary to appeal not to the rational part of the mind, but the unconscious."

My words again- The Nazis employed some of his techniques in 1930s Germany.
 cooldog65
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 11:08:36 AM

Is Lakewood close to Seattle? Spent tons of Summers nearby, in laws had a place grr, what was that place's name? Now I have to google Wash city names
Pretty place, close to hood canal

Lakewood is about an hour south of Seattle. I think Hood Canal is on the west side of the peninsula. Would the city be Seabeck?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 392
Posted: 7/20/2017 11:46:41 AM
N0 - finally Shelton! That's why I know Seatac and the Mall.. would stay tehre before flying back home. Loved Hood Canal and Seattle and oysters
In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 spot4username
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 11:59:28 AM

N0 - finally Shelton!

The county seat!
lulz
I lived in Twanoh Falls.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 1:05:07 PM
Why do people watch sports in person, because there's nothing like it and it's fun. Nothing like sitting near Darryl Strawberry of the METS back in the day when he would throw balls into the stands for fans to catch.

Cooldog, I was more into baseball while I lived in NY, but I did go to the superbowl in CA when the Giants were in it and then onto the probowl in Hawaii. I didn't get on board with football in WA until recently, a few years ago.

Ouija, I'm about 25 minutes south of Seattle. My town borders the Puget Sound. It's unfortunate that I don't like seafood and don't partake. I can kayak on the Sound, just a few minutes from my house, and bring back a bucket full of dungeness crab. My ex-h would get much more than he could ever eat on each outing and would give it away. My dog was eating crab too.

I've got The Chew on tv now and Mario Batali (chef) is talking about how he used to go on Dash Point Road in Federal Way where I live, and collect blackberries for his mom to make pies with. He grew up here. WA really is a hidden secret. People think it's always raining, maybe they think it's cold too. It's like National Geographic here. I've seen bear, herds of elk, fox, Orcas, humpback whales, harbor porpoises while kayaking. There's fantastic tidepooling here. Tons of sea anemones, starfish & sand dollars. I have eagles flying over my house. The weather and temps are great. I rarely get any snow and it hasn't hit 90 yet. The Hood Canal is nice, but it can be windy there. I've done many a bike ride on my motorcycle on the Hood Canal.

I do love B.C. I was going up there so frequently, it was like a home away from home. I love Stanley Park, used to bring my bicycle up there to ride around. I loved taking the ferry to Granville Island. I used to stay in English Bay by the park. Been to Whistler and did a great hike just beyond that with 3 beautiful glacier fed lakes on different levels of the hike. That hike seems to be a hidden gem.
 Manofsubstance1970
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2017 9:14:02 PM
"Some women online just play silly games and I don't have the patience for games anymore, so either it's straightforward answers to questions or I will just forget them and move on"
"I came across a number of fakers, attention whores and mentally damaged, while I was actively seeking someone and you tend to loose interest in the whole online dating experience, when so few are serious about actually dating"
"Some have been around longer, than Ghandi and keeping changing their photos around, so people think they are new users and some even have multiple profiles with the same photos on both?"
"I have concluded that online dating eats away a lot of time and effort, but has very little satisfactory results"
"I have not been actively seeking for many months and not sure I want to invest, so much in something, so unproductive"
 gtomustang
Msg: 396
Posted: 7/21/2017 5:39:21 AM
yeah, I get why people go to live games, like going to see live bands. But for example, pro basketball bores me (and I used to play, not well) b/c they're so good at it, there's no suspense in them making a basket. Watching a school team play, the talent is a lower level so you just never know if they're going to pull off a good move or not. But perhaps that's frustrating for some fans to watch. Maybe my deal is i'm less interested in the score than I am interested in what's going on with each play. I went to UConn just as their basketball program was taking off, and you only needed to watch the last 5 minutes of every game, as the score went back and forth like a nailbiter. I can understand there are people who love to sit on the edge of their seat, get the rush as "Their" team wins.

"some online people play games"

>>>I'm not a game player, except in times where I think I can win. I used to flirt for the sake of flirting, and that was fun. you can't lose at just doing something for the sake of passing time. but when I wanted to flirt for the purpose of getting a date...and not succeeding...then flirting was work, not a game. Those who see dating as a serious project, trying to beat the biological clock or they've looked around and seen they've achieved everything else in life but a relationship, I can feel for them coming across profiles of people who are just dating for fun. Tho, I suspect those who find it all a game, are the attractive people who can afford that privilege :) Like buying at a tag sale b/c you have the money, not b/c you're too broke to afford retail.
 Chromis1
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:47:10 AM

whereas watching the pros do what you already know they can do, after a while isn't it just...predictable? maybe I just Don't Get It.

It can't be explained, only understood through experience:

Hockey: https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/867955867081072645/video/1
Football: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpyLUI0-mM
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2017 10:28:50 AM

pro basketball bores me (and I used to play, not well) b/c they're so good at it, there's no suspense in them making a basket.

I like some pro-playoffs, but besides that yeah -- that's why I love college basketball. Not so much an all-star team scenario. The final game of Gonzaga vs UNC -- wow. Just a slugfest. Great. Although I didn't like the final ending.

I'm not a game player, except in times where I think I can win.

As one of my friends pointed out -- when a gal says "I don't play games!" .... she means "I don't play anyone Else's games, just My games which I may or may not be fully aware of. When I am, I'm just looking out for myself!" :) To some degree, everyone's 'playing games' -- most of the time to a non-intrusive/harmless extent. To not 'play games' on any level, one would have to be damn near Jim Carey in the movie "Liar Liar". Everyone's looking out for themselves, 'playing games' to one degree or another.

It's when it's at the expense or potentially at the expense of someone else, that's when it's ethically wrong... or if that someone else picks up on some faux projection by the other, they can get upset, of course. What gets me is that gals are "allowed" to play games to a certain extent because they have more lee-way in society to "look out for themselves"... where guys are assumed they're never in any position to look out for themselves and the world's their oyster in the dating market (lol).

Just as folks declaring "I never play games" actually do, but don't realize it (ie "count it" as such) -- many also don't realize certain games Do work on they themselves to one degree or another, but are in denial that it can and does here and there, because it's a Pride thing.
 south_city
Msg: 399
Posted: 7/22/2017 8:09:05 AM

I like some pro-playoffs, but besides that yeah -- that's why I love college basketball. Not so much an all-star team scenario. The final game of Gonzaga vs UNC -- wow. Just a slugfest. Great. Although I didn't like the final ending.

I like March Madness. I don't watch that much college hoops during the regular season. I enjoyed it more when most of the best players stayed for 3 or 4 years. Instead of the largely "one and done" that is happening now.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 400
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2017 10:45:18 AM
I used to be really into baseball and I think part of that was because I used to attend the games and baseball is easy to watch in person. Now I feel that baseball is a little boring and moves slowly. It is harder to see what is going on with football when you are in the stadium. It's still fun to attend a football game. I love the physicality of the men. I like all of the strategy too. Every time you pay for something in life, there is a markup where someone is making a profit and that is just part of it. Of course somethings come with a bigger profit margin, but if one doesn't want to pay, then one can just stay home and count their pennies and ask for them to be thrown in their coffin when they die. That would really be a funny wake to go to, LOL
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2017 11:08:19 AM

Every time you pay for something in life, there is a markup where someone is making aprofit and that is just part of it.

A reasonable markup is OK.
Everyone has to determine for themselves what they consider a reasonable markup to be.

Of course somethings come with a bigger profit margin,

And who gets to determine how much the profit margin is?
Are you familiar with the economics term "whatever the traffic will bear"?
Meaning whatever price people are willing to pay.
If people won't pay the higher price, it will have to be lowered, or the product or service will have to be eliminated altogether.

Now I feel that baseball is a little boring and moves slowly.

Basketball is the best all-around sport in the world for both spectator and participant:

Fast-paced-constant action.
High scoring. (unlike soccer games with 2-1 final score after all that running around the field)
Rules are pretty simple.
Largest ball used in team sports- easy to see and follow without replays.(unlike a puck)
All of the players are involved all the time.
Anyone can shoot, score, dribble, pass, rebound.
Fans sit closest to the action-courtside seats even.
Smallest, least cumbersome uniforms- can actually see the players faces clearly.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 402
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2017 12:30:04 PM

Basketball is the best all-around sport in the world for both spectator and participant:

LOL My mom tells me this all the time.
"But mom, I just don't like basketball, never did"
"OH but, you just don't know what your missing! It is soooooexciting!"

(She snorts, rolls her eyes)
Baseball makes me feel ill, I'll stick to football, and depending on the team, ice hockey. And when I can, I'll watch , Formula 1 racing, or motocross.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 403
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2017 8:17:29 PM
Halcyon:
Well, in all fairness to him, he didn't look like the village idiot in his profile pictures.

It wasn't until after I met him in person that I noticed the big gouge marks in the back of his hair. He looked like he had been attacked by a wild ferret.
So you require your prospective dates to better train their ferrets..? .....I get it...how about if they sleep in ferret pajamas? Um....never mind.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > why do women play hard to get in online dating? its a reason your on here!