Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > some college      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 26
some collegePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Regardless of whether or not a person has a college degree the ability to write cohesive statements, with proper english, that is understandable is an important ability that, sadly, some lack. Often, those that lack this ability will observe that college is "not all that," thereby, proving that college actually is.

Having been in the workforce for many years, I have seen that those with college degree's often enter the workforce in higher positions and advance faster than those that do not have the degree. While, this is not a hard and fast rule, it does tend to be the general rule. And statistics do show that the higher the level of education the greater the average income of the group.
 suem6000
Msg: 27
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:10:50 PM
It is good that you are thinking through these issues before you commit. You need to take an aptitude test to see what you might be good at that you don't know about yet. Call the Admissions or Counseling Office of your local community college
to check into testing. I also would not be surprised to find an aptitude test online for free. Google it.
Do what you like and are comfortable doing. Then get advanced education to improve your prospects. Don't pick something like an Education degree because you think teachers have job security. You really need to like children
and accept that everybody is your boss. It is a very constricting field with little advancement
If you really like auto repair, then find a way to work in an air-conditioned garage, like in your own garage.
Find out what equipment you can lease and what the costs of advertising are. I certainly see people with their own shops and they do well because they treat their customers well. Learn how to finance that type of business instead of college.
Buy a small shop and get seller financing. Go to work in a small shop and learn how to repair everything and run the
business before you branch out on our own.
This is a frustrating time of life and the economy doesn't help. Good luck to you. And don't go into debt unless you are sure of your career goals.
 forthewinwinwin
Msg: 28
some college
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:30:58 PM
Bachelor's degrees are becoming increasingly more common, and it is extremely common to hear graduates not find jobs in their field of study and also pay poorly for the financial and mental commitment over 4-5 years, especially if the degree is not in nursing or engineering. They've become somewhat the "new high school diploma". Not to say university/college is not important, but the benefit gained from a degree has severely diminished in the last decade.

Rather, employers for the better jobs are now looking more for "professional" certifications/degrees combined with years of experience and/or special skills, such as a JD (Law School), Med School, CA/CGA/CMA (Accounting), CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), the one to be a Human Resources Professional, etc. All of these require you to finish your Bachelor's Degree to just get started, which alone will take easily 4-5 years, and then add on another 2-4 years depending on which one it is.

There is a common joke that a lot of those who study business but cannot make it into the fiercely-sought consulting or investment-related positions then end up working as bank tellers.

I'd still highly advise you to get an education because it will help you get better jobs and you still NEED some for many of them as a basic requirement, but watch yourself because it is much harder than in the past. Your other financially-feasible option would be to get a trade or work in physical labour jobs, which will easily (theoretically speaking) give you more money than many degrees that will take 4-5 years to complete.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 29
some college
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:02:51 PM
I would like to take this time to thank everyone for their generous responses. I completely understand that this is going to be a difficult decision for me. The real truth is that I am much older than I stated in my profile. I am actually closer to 50 than 28 but I haven't used my stats to kill anyone yet so relax it's just for fun. I have worked my butt off my entire life only to find out that the money they pay me doesn't pay for a pot for me to poop on. I recently applied for disability on the grounds that I have a few health problems. Not totally disabled but disabled enough to cause sacrifices in income. I know that the social security office of government is going to fight me at every turn and my plan is to fight back twice as hard and to win. I am trying my best to consider that politics is just crooked and always will be. I am thinking about going to a school of higher learning on the governments dime if they continue to reject me for SSI. There is always more than one way to kill a snake and I intend to find every one of them. I want to go back to work even though I can't work as much as otherwise people can with full health but I am taking the advise of others saying that this might go against me. My next thought was to enroll in school if that is what the government wants to offer people instead. In my mind I was just trying to save the government, save the taxpayer. But I am sure before this is all over I will end up costing the tax payer one hundred times more than is necessary simply because our government has no common sense. It will be harder for me even with a degree because of my age but since it only takes one good job maybe I can make it all work. One thing for sure that is to my advantage I will take school far more seriously than the average youngster.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 30
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:16:04 AM
Post-secondary education makes a big difference in how you think and reason. Or, it should, unless you partied and slept through it.

All those stupid things you roll your eyes at when your pals screw up suddenly become clear to you before you step in them. Well, most of them.

Higher education means never having to go on Maury.

You learn how to learn, how to evaluate sources and how to test ideas for soundness.

You meet smarter potential partners.

You are less likely to smoke, tan, gamble, have brain damage or be referred to as "baby daddy."

You can figure out what's the best deal.

You can avoid idiotic penalties.

You learn to learn from your mistakes AND those of other people.

ED BEAR
 427cammer
Msg: 31
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:01:27 PM
ed bear:
A post filled with arrogant elitism... where's vlad dracul when we need him.... he'd give you such a kicking....

Post-secondary education makes a big difference in how you think and reason.

Getting a job makes a big difference in how you think and reason. You may imagine that your level of thinking is giant leaps ahead of the unwashed masses, have you had any groundbreaking accomplishments that all of humanity can look towards and be thankful for?

Higher education means never having to go on Maury.

Didn't realise he had an education threshold for his guests.... oh well... for the higher educated who display equally vile behaviour there's always public office... even the US Presidency is within reach.

be referred to as "baby daddy."

....is this a shot at black people?

You learn how to learn, how to evaluate sources and how to test ideas for soundness..........You learn to learn from your mistakes AND those of other people.

.....do you learn how to make statements which at first glance might appear to be profound, but upon closer inspection are just meaningless drivel?

Right now in the US (and Canada) there is an overabundance of people who are trained to create paperwork and bureaucracy. Skilled tradespeople will always be in demand. People who build actual products (or sell neccesary services) are the ONLY essential cogs in a working economy.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 32
some college
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:43:40 PM
Now Now there cammer, Ed was just trying to be helpful. I looked at both statements and I tend to agree with you more because if college is suppose to make me think, I don't know why my dad was so fast at telling me to shut up. It's not easy being born under a marine vet but I did learn how to do a lot of my own thinking and I am not sure if college can expand on that. I do think that even the trades sometimes have better professors in college than some of the tech schools but that's why I wish I could just sit in on the classes. I don't want to waste time in a psychology class for instance unless I plan on getting the degree which in itself pays off well because it is more or less a government licensed requirement. Same as being a doctor or a teacher without the credentials it is just plain unacceptable. Trade school would allow me to drop out quicker and try for an on the job type apprenticeship. At least I would have something to start with. I remember a guy whom I went to ITT tech with. He was a meat cutter by trade and was able to get a job in heating and air conditioning the first six months of school. We were all wet behind the ears with no more classes than that but he pulled it off.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 33
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 3/9/2013 2:57:09 AM
I didn't say anything about MY way of thinking - I've been in these forums long enough that few, if any, respect that! :)

But, when it comes to education, it DOES protect a lot of people (obviously not most) from a lot of bad decisions, simply because they understand more of what they see.

To me, the most important benefit of post-secondary education was that it is the only time in most of our lives when we are exposed to and get to know people from other countries, walks of life, socioeconomic class and philosophy.

My apologies to anyone who thought "baby daddy" was a shot at black folks; here in Vancouver, we barely have any black folk, and they tend to be very nice middle-class educated ones. "Baby daddy" is a bigoted slur on "white trash," which I used only as humour in the same vein as Maury's show itself.
ED BEAR
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 34
some college
Posted: 3/9/2013 7:01:58 AM
I know you are addressing someone elses response ed bear but I would like to say what I think about white trash and black trash, hispanic trash, and asian trash. Our country was started by a bunch of pilgrams whom struggled without the use of modern electric inventions, they did whatever they could to make life better for themselves. They decided that they could enslave black people and it led to the north fighting against the south. When it became politically incorrect to house slaves the already wealthier group of people whom had to re-think how to make life better started creating education as a barrier instead of using chains. That way they could say ok, ok, I agree that you should be able to use the same bathrooms as us but don't expect us to pay you the same wages because you don't have the same level of education as we do. After that was established the blacks fought for the same rights to be educated and the wealthy class said ok, ok. We will find a way for some of you to go to school and we will invite Mexicans to come over and work for cheap labor. Lol the greed never ends but part of it not ending has to do with our education standards. People are always going to do better if they can seperate themselves from other people. The cost of education has skyrocketed and they don't care anymore if you are black or white or hispanic or asian. They just want to make sure that there is something out there that can seperate us. This is why I say pay everyone the same. Quit looking for reasons to make one person better than another. Education has value but it should be free and it should be taught by people whom enjoy educating. I am not saying pay them nothing. I am just saying pay them the same as the guy whom picks up trash for a living.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 35
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/5/2013 9:43:48 PM
Please note that I've suggested nothing about separating people by education or paying them differently for the same work.

"White Trash" isn't usually used to deride people's heritage, as far as I can tell. It's applied to people who don't carry the burden of discrimination but are still so short-sighted or stupid that they can't make their lives work.

I'm saying that even a person who intends to undertake a trade or professional career, or business for that matter, will still benefit a great deal from higher education that isn't narrowly focused. Being able to avoid the most common screw-ups will protect you from being called white trash or put on Maury for that reason.

And no inbreeding jokes here, either. Inbreeding actually helps strengthen good traits, too, but we don't do it in humans because we don't think it's cool to have to cull the failures. (Except for those pesky eugenicists...)
ED BEAR
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 36
some college
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:43:53 AM
ED - I think you are reading from a university recruitment ad from 3 centuries ago.
Today's "students" don't embark on higher education to learn the secrets of the cosmos or mix with other cultures, they go to qualify themselves for a good job, or later in life, for a "better" job. Universities have become little more than trade schools: marketing degree, law degree, medical degree, IT degree, engineering degree, et al.
There may be a few individuals (probably with a generous inheritance) who attend universities to engage in discussions of awareness and study the classics, and I'm sure they will enjoy their careers working at minimum wage jobs, unless family connections put them on a board of directors at a large corporation.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 37
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/8/2013 8:36:30 AM
Oooooo Ed Bear lol

Now first off might i point out this post is not about YOU but
about the points you make. I have to point this out as again not
aimed at you but there are some really precious delicates around.

Anyway

As for going on maury our version is jeremy kyle. Now if those said two
did not have brain dead guests where would all those college/uni educated
folk who work in the media get a job?

Now i went to college. Yes indeed auld drac spent 4 years at telford college
learning a trade. Except now the college/uni mob have made my qualifications
useless nearly.
More votes in cheap labour than the indigenous (white, black, broon etc imagine
even having to explain that as some college/uni div will take exception. Tsk and
may all the windbags shites be hedgehogs)
But one digresses

I live in edinburgh. Edinburgh is a uni city. cityOne of the top unis in the world
is edinburgh uni.

You have never seen as many twats in one place at one time.
They may THINK they are a cut above the maury/kyle guests but I'd rather have a
pint with one of their guests than listen to some know it all uni div

Look up the song common people by the uk band pulp

See all i see are ahem student radicals who then piss off into corporate world
where tbey meet chlamydia get married and have rupert and hilary type bairns

Na mate higher education isnt all that. Eventually the elitist snobs
(not all are mind) have to come back to our world

The common peoples world

Cant wait

And while im at it are the so called educated who dictate school curriculums
not doing a grand job in the public schools by making all equally thick?
Oh and i f it wasnt for the non clever where on earth would the clever get
the cannon fodder for their wars from?

Anyway not a go at you personally as i say but im thick as fvck, working class
and proud to live my life as i chose and not as a career dictates
 vlad dracul
Msg: 38
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/8/2013 8:56:56 AM
And Green you are right enough mate. SOME may go there to the uni to get a degree
doing something to better the planet.

But the lure of the big bucks usually wins them over. Or they get all dewy eyed once wealthy
they feel the need to come and pat us lower species on the head and patronise us and piss about
with our lives.

And at the end of the day its personal choice. If uni makes you feel good go for it. But
you still need the traceys to serve in shops. You need the jasons to do your building work.

Just remember once you are at the top the only way is down.

Now wheres my beer steve wilcos show is coming on telly
 Double Cabin
Msg: 39
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/8/2013 9:31:20 AM
I used to be in the camp of Education is what you make of it. With personal comittment you can get a good education anywhere.

However with the explosion of for-profit "colleges" and "universities' that con people into getting worthless degrees I've sen fit to exclude most of them from that perspective.

I have a degree from one of of the best colleges in the Country. It opens doors for me, generally raises positive assumptions. I however know some folks that went to community colleges that are absolutely brilliant. Getting a degree demonstrates committment, something younger generations seem to struggle with so much more than us geezers.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 40
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/16/2013 1:22:54 PM
True indeed - many people go to higher education for a job, or a certificate, or (in my day) a draft deferment.

But the environment exposes you to new ideas, a wide variety of people, and the value of thinking and questioning. It makes a difference.

Most of my working life has involved the IT industry. Though there are lots of stories about people who failed high school and just started using their talents for graphics and design to make a living creating web sites or games, the industry always chose people with university degrees (in my case a B. A. in Mathematics and Computer Science - yes, a B.A.) over the guys with the quickie "computer school" certificates. If you could even get into a proper college or university, you'd have a lot more problem-solving skill and a better grasp on the world around you. And probably much better language and communication skills.

There has long been a concerted campaign to de-skill and reduce pay in that industry, and I would not recommend it as a path to prosperity for anyone in school today. And now we see that major employers and right-wing groups are attacking education - mostly because they know that educated people tend to want a better deal and tend to not vote for right-wing causes devoted to maintaining and increasing income inequality. We've seen media celebration of book promotion of entrepreneurs who claim their education was worthless - though they seem to be able to write a literate book, at least.

Not everyone can be a business leader or winner. Successful businesspeople and salespeople are by definition better than others at getting money - where does that leave the people who aren't the best at it? Are they born losers? Is the ability to get money the only worth a human can have?

We're blanketed in propaganda that tells us that anyone who works for a living is a fool who deserves to be treated like dirt because they don't have the magic gift of business. And now we hear complaints that the younger generation doesn't seem to be willing to work? Hasn't anyone been listening to those who tried to make the likes of Donald Trump and Mitt Romney into culture heroes? Why should anyone put up with being called a loser and chump for actually DOING anything that doesn't involve out-dealing people?
ED BEAR
 vlad dracul
Msg: 41
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/18/2013 4:07:30 AM
ED

Sorry to take you to task again geezer but your saying that educated folk
are greedy then? They want top dollar for THEIR work. Do those self same
wealthy educated then PAY top dollar for trade services like building, plumbing
decorating etc? Or do they drive the price down because they do not want others
to dig into their wealth?

You mention 'right wing' attacks on education lol thats a stoatir that is. What about
the liberal attacks on educating folk and their attempts to make everyone stupid?

Lets make life fairer then and cut the wages to the 'educated' public sector workers. Not
those on the front line but the managers, outreach nonsense, race 'awareness' crap.

A good friend of mine who lives in ontario has just been to a days skiving eh sorry i mean
a workshop. What was this workshop i hear you cry. It was compassion fatigue lol i kid you
not. Some arsehole on a great educated person wedge is apparently an 'expert' lol

Liberals and capitalists are one and the same. Liberals want the country flooded with migrants
who then drive wages down. Capitalist bosses love cheap migrant labour. It does not take an einstein
to see that liberals and bosses sing from the same hymn sheet.

Heres a radical idea. Why not pay EVERYONE a decent wage? Not just the so called educated.

And i certainly hope that all the wealthy who come on here with their higher education pay the top
rate for goods and services. If not then they are just like the groups you say hold everyone back.

If the so called uneducated stupids that seem to be despised by some decieded to start voting the wealthy
so called educated money grabbing folk would run away in droves. Because working class folk despise the
gobshites who look down their noses on them.

At least we do honest toil for our income.

There was a british tv series called the boys from the blackstuff. Set in liverpool. They are all on youtube.

Dessies story and georges story are the standouts for me. Watch them and see what the working class think
of the sneering 'educated' folk haters.

And its reciprocated because we hate those divs with a burning the 'educated' are shite scared off.

Enjoy your day folks. All the best from a non educated son of toil in a wet and cold edinburgh
 427cammer
Msg: 42
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/18/2013 11:03:54 AM
Ed Bear, msg. 40:

"White Trash" isn't usually used to deride people's heritage, as far as I can tell. It's applied to people who don't carry the burden of discrimination but are still so short-sighted or stupid that they can't make their lives work.

In other words, it's okay to describe people as trash as long as they are white. The blacks, browns, yellows, and reds who behave in the same manner are just unfortunate victims. Apologies to those that don't consider themselves as "victims".

Being able to avoid the most common screw-ups will protect you from being called white trash or put on Maury for that reason.

Better education, greater wealth, and higher status won't keep people from committing the "most common screw-ups".... two examples that immediately come to mind are Bill Clinton and JFK. Both displayed behaviour that could have landed them on "Maury".... instead, the elitist snobs who cherish these type of people don't feel the same rules apply because of their "greatness".

Ed Bear, msg. 45:

True indeed - many people go to higher education for a job, or a certificate, or (in my day) a draft deferment.

But the environment exposes you to new ideas, a wide variety of people, and the value of thinking and questioning. It makes a difference.

How would you know? Do you imagine that working class people don't have any new ideas.... that they place no value on thinking and questioning? That we don't meet a wide variety of people?

I'll concede that people with greater talents are often pushed by their parents and teachers to follow a path to higher education.... so, the people who are coming out of colleges and universities are smarter and less prone to making stupid mistakes. How do you know that if these same talented individuals weren't steered towards productive blue-collar jobs that their contributions to society wouldn't be of equal value to that of their university educated counterparts?

Not everyone can be a business leader or winner. Successful businesspeople and salespeople are by definition better than others at getting money - where does that leave the people who aren't the best at it? Are they born losers? Is the ability to get money the only worth a human can have?

Absolutely not. But what are you suggesting?... that those who aren't good at getting money should be rewarded with money? Why is the size of one's bank account the only measure of success that people want to gauge others by?

We're blanketed in propaganda that tells us that anyone who works for a living is a fool who deserves to be treated like dirt because they don't have the magic gift of business.

And you propagate the same idea.... that working class uneducated people are beneath you... just white trash who are only suitable as fodder for the "Maury" show.

^^^^....none of this would bother me if you were just a forum *sshole attempting to make outrageous statements trying to piss people off. Instead, it seems that you're trying not to offend anyone and are too oblivious to see just how far you're missing the mark.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 43
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/19/2013 1:42:18 PM
Wow all the limp wrist liberal types are blanking us lower order
working class types who do not follow the nonce creed.

Is it because us uneducated lower order types are beneath you?

Or we are not as wealthy as 'educated' posters on a dating site because
you find it difficult finding an educated wummin/man because they think
youse are trotters?

Here some thick working class wummin might be impressesed because
youse are superior beings?

Trotters all

Id rather have crabs than spend 5 mins with a white hate filled middle class tosser
and yes i know i hate as well but im working class scum. And what is amusing is
you divs created me

Cheers dafties
 Ed Bear
Msg: 44
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/19/2013 7:45:56 PM
Vald, I DO believe that everyone should get a decent wage. I was protesting that both hard workers without education and educated workers who produce alongside them are being pushed down by lazy scamsters and people who get to rig the game. Edinburgh was, along with most of Scotland, devastated by the right-wing race-to-the-bottom policies of Margaret Thatcher's ultra-conservatives. They destroyed England's productive capacity and replaced it with financial manipulators and skimmers of other people's money.

All the attacks on education that I have seen come from the right. Centrists and liberals have always favored universally available education with free ideas, with the usual few exceptions. It is the privileged-entitled class that opposes education, to drive down salaries and because they fear that education has always been associated with less alignment with religion and money-is-everything thinking. They're the ones saying, "I never went to school, and I made a business that made me rich, and you can too!" And they are the pushers of free trade and the instigators of resentment against unions. (And no, I have never been a union member, but I know which side they are on, and it's not Wal-Mart's.)

Hating the "educated liberals" who have been joined with your cause all these years is just handing everyone over to the Trumps and Romneys.

Donald Trump and Mitt Romney were born rich, had rich friends and connections, and are contemptuous of anyone who isn't.

Why does anyone think that making higher-paid workers poor will help the lower-paid, rather than the privileged-entitled class? This is like the joke about the old one-armed farmer that gets one wish - and wishes the neighbour he hates would lose an arm.

Cammer: No. I am explicitly saying that the concept of "white trash" comes from racists who believe that anyone white should have all he needs to succeed because he's not a dumb (whatever's being hated today). It's the usual blame-the-victim. I can see that my irony wasn't understood by everyone, and that's not snobbery but the usual difficulty in expressing irony in print. I have already apologized for the attempt.

Whatever you do - and colleges and universities graduate potters, basket-weavers, cooks, writers, dancers and technicians as well as engineers and scientists - you will have a BETTER life for being better educated. My anger is aimed at the right-wing capitalists who urge people to avoid education to keep them down.

Working-class people DO have ideas and experiences. But higher education brings together a WIDER and more diverse crowd - from other countries, classes, religions, cultures - than most of us would ever meet in our daily lives living in the same place most of the time. Life is an education, yes, but of you don't understand that higher education goes above and beyond what most can do on their own (thank our lucky stars that public libraries and free TV still exist) you need to look into it.

I'm not judging people by their bank accounts any more than I am by their ability to get money. People should be able to have a decent life by a variety of paths, because not everyone can take the same path to what they want as success.

BOTH OF YOU: You are letting your enemies turn you against those who want to better your lives and their own. It's not a matter of looking down at you, but of wanting to raise you up, too.
ED BEAR
 427cammer
Msg: 45
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/20/2013 3:20:21 AM

I am explicitly saying that the concept of "white trash" comes from racists who believe that anyone white should have all he needs to succeed because he's not a dumb (whatever's being hated today).

Okay... maybe I misunderstood in what direction you were going with your earlier comment. I don't think I agree with you about who uses the term and for which reasons. Whatever....

I'm certain I didn't misunderstand you in your comments regarding Maury. I s'pose an argument could be made that your first post was made mostly in jest.... but then you brought him up again and reiterated your original point. Using that show as an example as to how less educated people behave is unfair, stupid, and hateful.... he finds the most outrageous people doing the most loathsome things (and I doubt like hell anybody has ever bothered to keep track of who's had any post secondary education) in order to get good ratings. Nobody (possibly you?) would ever say his show depicts an accurate portrait of working class America.

My anger is aimed at the right-wing capitalists who urge people to avoid education to keep them down.

There is no conspiracy here.... nobody's trying to keep people down. There are everyday people who have done well for themselves in business and are now labelled as "capitalists" who honestly feel that colleges and universities are of little benefit to the average citizen. I know people like this.... minus the "successful capitalist" part, I am a person like this.

Working-class people DO have ideas and experiences. But higher education brings together a WIDER and more diverse crowd - from other countries, classes, religions, cultures - than most of us would ever meet in our daily lives living in the same place most of the time.

Again.... how would you know? I spent 14 years working on drilling rigs with people from all over our country and from all over the world. I can take a car apart down to the tiniest screw and put it all back together. I can build a house from the foundation up including electrical, plumbing and finishing carpentry. I know grade school drop-outs who can do everything I can do... only better.

Why would you think that a person with a university diploma has had a more diverse and enriching experience than my own?

You are letting your enemies turn you against those who want to better your lives and their own. It's not a matter of looking down at you, but of wanting to raise you up, too.

I find it laughable that you think I need to be "raised up" to your level.... at the same time saying you don't look down on me. Would it astonish you if I were to say that I'm more intelligent and knowledgeable than you?

Could you be my hero?... you big lug.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 46
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 5/20/2013 5:50:10 PM
No, Cammer, I'm trying to raise YOU AND ME against the crap that is "trickling down" on us from the Overlord Class. They DO actively discourage our attempts to better ourselves and fight their exploitation.

Yes, Maury does represent pretty much the worst in America, and sell it to similar sorts for the most part. I doubt anyone who's even had a high-school education can be that bozonic. Jests aside, I was pointing out that education helps one avoid the dumbest choices in life. I stick by that. Other things can help you with that, too, but education is an excellent one.

You can say what you want about the diversity one meets in one's ordinary life, and in particular your own very special, particular one: I have had an ordinary life and spent time in University, and I saw a huge difference. I am eager to hear how others among us feel about this, as we have both already made our own opinions clear.
ED BEAR
 cotter
Msg: 47
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 10/31/2015 9:58:05 AM
↑↑↑
Yes, Maury does represent pretty much the worst in America, and sell it to similar sorts for the most part. I doubt anyone who's even had a high-school education can be that bozonic.
I think Maury would be the first person to encourage education.

I also believe he started the current format to help poor women find the father to their children so that they could eventually find a relationship with their true fathers. His own child with Connie is adopted and it was after they adopted their son that I believe he realized that there were a lot children in the world who do not even know who their father is.

Yes it has digressed a bit, but I think the end idea is to unite child with father.

The unfortunate thing about it is that a lot of the people are showcased to the world as uneducated and ignorant.
 gtomustang
Msg: 48
some college
Posted: 11/2/2015 6:11:43 PM
When I was paying my way thru college, I found the difference between those who went to college, and those who didn't, came out during arguments/debates. The former used facts after facts, the latter just kept repeating the same thing over and over, and would ignore anything that got in their way, like an argument that actually beat them. Its easy to win if you pretend you're not losing.

College shouldn't be merely about getting facts and throwing them back--you can go on YouTube for free and get facts. College should teach you not just WHAT to think, but how. Learn in college when in the day your energy levels are the highest, and you can accomplish not just a lot of schoolwork, but can use that knowledge as an entrepreneur to do your most productive work and waste less time (that's not my idea, that's one of Eban Pagan's). but you have to WANT to use your mind in different ways. some people are born to lead, but some are born to be lead, and others are born to lead only themselves on an alternate path.

The species that adapts...increases their odds of survival. if you think going to college, getting a degree and walking into an office to get a middle management job b/c your dad did it...you may be in for a bad shock. Its a Brave New World, and those who had it easy in the last one aren't liking the changes, judging from all the gnashing of teeth.

There isn't a "one size fits all". I've known blue collar workers who felt smarter than a college grad b/c they had more common sense...but they still had to work for someone. Some of them, faced with an item in their field that had no computer to plug into for a diagnostic check...or one that does....they would fall apart. Socrates once said to the effect that he was intelligent enough to know how stupid he was. Dirty Harry said a man needs to know his limitations. Both were aiming for the same point.
 cotter
Msg: 49
view profile
History
some college
Posted: 11/2/2015 9:08:13 PM
I went to college ... for a while ... computer programming. OMG ... that was a while back (late 60's) and decided I'd work through the summer and ended up just keeping the job. I became a wife and mother of 4 and then helped to take care of my parents when they became too ill to tend to themselves. Then I went back to school ... seriously.

I was 48 years old and had been out of school for 29 years. In spite of that handicap, I ended up graduating nursing school with a 3.8 grade average. I wanted to do good and I did. At the same time it offered me a chance to set a good example for my high school and college age children. I decided to show them if mom can do it after being out of school for so long, then they can too ... with a much earlier start!

They did.

I think they are better off for it. Of course my youngest daughter is still in school ... looking for a degree in medicine.
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 50
some college
Posted: 11/3/2015 2:32:00 AM
^^

Yes, you showed them that learning, whether it's in classrooms or in real life, is always valuable. And, yes, you demonstrated reverence for school by actually showing them. I'm certain it's made a positive impact on their lives.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > some college