Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mainelythere
Msg: 26
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Lol what a load of bullskite. I can handle sarcasm and dish it out myself, but what is being passed off as sarcastic here is just sheer asshattery.

I can handle that BS too, I just think its ugly and unnecessary. Sarcasm is what stupid people do when they cant think of something witty to say.
 anthonyalan
Msg: 27
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:55:31 PM
Lady if you think it takes intelligence to get sarcasm then it demonstrates how little intellect you have. It's the lowest laziest form of humor. Children can do it. Work a little harder and I'll be impressed. Ooo you said something in a sardonic tone of voice wow! The room is in quiet awe of your boring ahem I mean biting commentary. Now you are picking on a vet. Class act.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:57:21 PM

Note...yes it is hard to read sarcasm, but as I said, different types of sarcasm and some of it is so obvious that if someone actually read it and thought it was anything but tongue in cheek, they have no one to blame but themselves.

This. people need to stop being so ****ing butthurt about everything said by anyone. There are things others do that annoy you, just like things you do annoy others. It's ok for them to say "hey, what you said annoys me, or I didnt find it funny". But, when someone says to you or the "offended person"..."Well, I dont like the way you do this or that" and then that person gets all kind of butthurt and angry and then gets pissy. It's hysterical to me. I like to find humor in things, and i do it in a playful way, and can certainly take it when I dish it out. Most people who "dont like sarcasm" cant do that.

Life is not all rainbows and butterflies, Life is actually quite sarcastic...works out better if you figure out how to fit into it

Exactamundo!!!! Which is why when someone says "I don't take life too serious", I'm pretty sure they're just being facetious, or they just don;t want to get bogged down with all of everyday life's little abnnoyances/dramas, or BS. I certainly don't. I'm more of a laid back fella myself, but that's what works for me. If you don;t like it, tough titties, I'll continue to be that way. Just as Im sure you wouldn;t care if I didn't like you being a brood or in a bad mood all the time.

I think alot of folks need to chill out, and stop taking EVERYTHING said so ****ing personal or offensive. If it fits, who gives a sh1T(hey that rhymed), if it doesn't get some thicker skin....jesus christ, you "Im offended by everything" folks have to be some of the most annoying folks ever.
 mainelythere
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:57:26 PM

.All the same, I have found that people who posses average IQ's don't get it...and for some of us...an above average IQ is desirable.

lol problem is whats being called sarcasm is not fueled by intellect but the angry lashing out by average intellects.

Yes europe has its share of sarcastic wits, but it also has its share of uncalled for wits that end up being avoided by the average sarcastic people. There is a time and place for sarcasm , but using it purely to get one up on peop-le because you lack the grace of wisdom to respond otherwise is not a sign of intelligence.
 mainelythere
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:58:24 PM

Lady if you think it takes intelligence to get sarcasm then it demonstrates how little intellect you have. It's the lowest laziest form of humor. Children can do it. Work a little harder and I'll be impressed. Ooo you said something in a sardonic tone of voice wow! The room is in quiet awe of your boring ahem I mean biting commentary.

exactamundo!
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:58:29 PM
*quietly goes back to start reading at the first of this thread*
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:58:55 PM
Everybody tries to be funny ... pretty natural to try ...

some people are indeed gifted in humor ..

other people have their moments ..

everyone else uses sarcasm

Excellent points. Besides, who'd want to date an always serious person, who doesn't "get" anything, doesn't "get" jokes, nothing....I sure don't.

Your size and the fact that you're a vet have nothing to do with your ability to handle sarcasm

Yeah, I didn't "get" the correlation either, sorry. Oh right, that was HIS attempt at "sarcasm".

...it requires a very small muscle my comparison to spew out all that piss and vinegar....Hell I think you would have a better time coping with your war experiences if you had a sarcastic sense of humor about it. Because when you deal with life and death situations, sarcasm is about the only type of humor that would apply.

Good point. I have a friend who was a Gulf war vet, and all he does is joke and use sarcasm about the whole experience, he's hysterical to listen to whenever he talksd about it. he doesnt get all butthurt, and can dish out jokes and stuff too. he always says to me(whenever he comes in contact with someone who's a vet and they're 'angry" about it) "Dude, that guy needs to get a hobby, it's hilarious that all of these people get so worked up over it. I was there for like 3 years, I found something to laugh about daily when i was there. There's something mentally wrong with that dude. Why did he go in the military then?" Pretty spot on.

Throw on a couple of more layers of skin and come play in the deep end of the poor with the rest of us sharks....lmao!!!

Thats about it. I try to steer clear of the "always in a bad mood about EVERYTHING" folks, NOTHING makes them happy, they bring down EVERYONE else around them, and become extremely annoying.

BTW...ther following quotes from your profile and the sarcastic smirk in one of your pictures would have told me you too have a bit of this horrible venom running through your veins....

Tend to agree with her. You seemd to have attempted 'sarcasm" with me with your "key word Ex" statement. Who cares if she was an ex, I find taller women a great turn on, you don't.

"I have climbed both katahdin and mt washington (no I refuse to buy the bumper sticker)."

I took a dump on the side of the road once in Baker, CA...(no I didnt take pics, sorry)

Oh right, wasn't funny, as neither are "sarcasm".

"I believe a person can be earthy and "real" without sacrificing hygiene."

You must have the best, non sweaty, non stinky, non bodily fluidy sex ever(and be the ONLY person in the history of mankind to do so). Good for you. Next time I play basketball, and I sweat from playing for 2+ hrs, I'll try to remember to steer clear of you, cool?
 mainelythere
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:01:13 PM
It's kind of sad to see people here to quick to retort and not leave themselves open to discussion. There is no dialogue anymore just nominally intelligent people seeing who can have the last wittiest burn. Who wants to date someone that you have to be on your toes for every single moment of the relationship?
 anthonyalan
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:04:54 PM
Above me 2 posts is what I'm trying to say. I don't want to date a lame sitcom. No one does. Sorry sarcasm fans. Damn you are making me post in my own forum which I find self indulgent. Just angrying up my blood a little sorry for interrupting discussion.
 ksayer1
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:08:31 PM
(mainlythere)''lol problem is whats being called
sarcasm is not fueled by intellect but
the angry lashing out by average
intellects.''
Now you are kidding right? Pot? Kettle?
Could you please quote my posts where i have been a hypocrit?

''Reality, I don;t want an answer or
expect one, this question is just for
you to think about on your own- do
you think your "dry sarcastic
bluntness" is attractive?
PS Being blunt is not the same as
being accurate. People like you have
benefited from a lifetime of others
sparing your feelings in one way or
another. If everyone in your life was
brutally honest with you, you would
have probably killed yourself in high
school.''

And this from a guy who thinks sarcasim is mean? Hmmmmmm. Also in your mind does this pass for witt?
 mainelythere
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:08:45 PM
Reality, I don;t want an answer or expect one, this question is just for you to think about on your own- do you think your "dry sarcastic bluntness" is attractive?

PS Being blunt is not the same as being accurate. People like you have benefited from a lifetime of others sparing your feelings in one way or another. If everyone in your life was brutally honest with you, you would have probably killed yourself in high school.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:14:15 PM
lol problem is whats being called sarcasm is not fueled by intellect but the angry lashing out by average intellects.

So when George Carlin(who's entire act is pretty sarcastic) says something funny, it's mostly the fact he has low intellect, as he's drawing from sarcasm? Carlin was one of the greatest intellectual comedians ever, probably thee greatest. You have to think about sutff when you go to one of his shows, as he makes you think. I bet you don't find anything he says funny or sarcastic either?
 mainelythere
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:19:31 PM

If you have, then I know your gut was dying to be sarcastic....at some point you need to like point out the freakin obvious to some people because they don't even realize how dense they really are!
I am not saying it should never be used, but it shouldnt be used SO OFTEN

The internet seems to have removed the internal guage that tells them when to lash out as harshly as possible and when not to. SO someone is dense that does not unto itself give you the sanction to blast them. Whether you agree with me or not I am a very intelligent person and I feel surrounded by idiots, but I dont go on rampages blasting everyone. Pasrt of intelligence and wisdom is also having kindness and patience.

I liken it to going around hitting people just because you are bigger than everyone. Might does not make right in an advanced society.
 anthonyalan
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:21:26 PM
Well if no one minds me wading into the fray I will. I just thought it was bad etiquette for some reason. I'm new to these. What I'm referencing is not a quote but the countless women in my locale that say something along the lines of "I'm so sarcastic, I'll keep you on your toes" or "I love to laugh, I'm always being sarcastic." There is a stunning lack of female comics for a reason, humor is an art form filled with non-sequiter, parody, absurdism, and funny observations. Now I know this is sexist so let me drop this quick caveat: this has been my experience and may not be yours. If this does not apply to you disregard, if women you know are not like this please disregard. There now that I said that the female sense of humor seems to go something like this... "Hey that person did something dumb, wouldn't it be really hilarious if I said what just happened word for word in a cynical tone of voice?" The answer to me is no that's not really that funny and if I did it to you we would never have sex again.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:23:31 PM
i prefere men who are easily offended

whoa i'll take a dozen.

In every 3rd profile I look some girl is describing herself is sarcastic.

she isn't for you, but look at the bright side. you still have at least 66% of the girls left over that might be.

If that's something you do you should try to minimize it. It's rude and irritating not a selling point jeez

maybe not everyone in this world thinks your attitude is a selling point jeez. maybe you should try to discount your intolerance for other people who will inevitably see things differently than you do... you know... by moving on and looking at another profile? maybe you should avoid the girls who didn't feel like they had to get your approval first before writing about how sarcastic they are. those ignorant sluts, omfg how dare they say something in their profile that irritates you. pfft.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:29:51 PM
I am not saying it should never be used, but it shouldnt be used SO OFTEN

You kinda/sorta did, but I will agree to an extent...too much sarcasm does make one come off as sort of a blockhead. There are different layers of "sarcasm" though too

The "funny sarcasm" is where you see something and you find it funny, or can relate in some way, or maybe a tv show or movie scene was that way. Monty Pythons entire sctick was built on sarcasm. Seeing someone fall down the stairs and laugh about it, then you say something like "hey, watch your step", would be funny to me. It's all in how you take the sarcasm. if you're the ype who doesn;t get most of it, then you won't find it funny at all.

Then there's the "cruel sarcasm". maybe something you did, or someone else did that they'd like to forget and others drive it home continually or make constant jokes about it? I get it. Thats not a good sarcasm.

The internet seems to have removed the internal guage that tells them when to lash out as harshly as possible and when not to. SO someone is dense that does not unto itself give you the sanction to blast them. Whether you agree with me or not I am a very intelligent person and I feel surrounded by idiots, but I dont go on rampages blasting everyone. Pasrt of intelligence and wisdom is also having kindness and patience.

You kind of are "blasting everyone though" aren't you? You're lumping "everyone" in with ALL people, not "some", not "many" not "most", you're lumping them in with/as EVERYONE. EVERYONE isn't that way, you're not, I'm not......saying "many/most/some/alot/etc" would get your point acorss better.

I liken it to going around hitting people just because you are bigger than everyone.

AGAIN, you;re lumping "everyone" in here....not EVERY "bigger person" does this, right? I'm "bigger than you" in height and weight, I hate fighting, or going around messing with folks, it serves no purpose. See, you've just been proven wrong, as not "EVERY BIGGER PERSON" does what you claim.
 mainelythere
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:32:56 PM

Those who get it

ah but "getting it" is self-congratulatory it implies that your methodology is justified and it's the majority that are at fault. I also know that many people that consider themselves witty compliment other ***holes because it indirectly reflects well on their own sarcasm. Surrounding yourself with jerks doesnt mitigate the inherent rudeness of excessive sarcasm.

I also find comments about thick skins and man-ing-up hilarious- I can quite well handle abrasive people, but the question is why should i? unpalatable is unpalatable.

If calling me a crybaby or some other asinine and cliched shaming technique is the ultimate expression of wit for the so called literati on here, then I am truly depressed. Whatever happened to the internet being a network for good not just angry idiots basing each other?

Bear in mind, the act of arguing or attacking is not the issue, sometimes people do need to be put into their place. The problem is some people feel EVERYONE that even remotely annoys them needs to be put in their place.
 anthonyalan
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:34:41 PM
Barnaby I feel like you are purposefully misconstruing his argument rather than taking his points as they were intended. How can you possible argue against patience and kindness. You yourself acknowledge that precious little sarcasm is the good kind. Now when I posted my forum what I was trying to say was is this really how you want to describe yourself to a potential mate? As an obnoxious person waiting for a screw up so they can get your little joke in because you have literally NOTHING AT ALL else to contribute in terms of humor?
 mainelythere
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:35:27 PM

maybe you should try to discount your intolerance

Would you date a heroin addict? Would you date a confirmed cheater? how about a wife beater? dog killer? cannibal? Pet hoarder?
Why not? thats intolerant of you.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:36:36 PM
^^^Good points, and true.
 mainelythere
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:36:57 PM
Anthony, great point, but i find if people want to argue they will readily misconstrue or ignore points made.

He did admit cruel sarcasm is uncalled for, so i guess some progress is being made. One wonders if he is arguing just for the sake of arguing now?
 hey_yall_watch_this
Msg: 47
I liken it to going around hitting people just because you are bigger than everyone. Might does not
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:37:47 PM
coming from a guy who feels he is better or above the sarcastic.... and attacks their intelligence and the value of what they have to say.... from your perspective, you have the might.... and I'll tell you... YOU aint right. Can anybody say hypocrisy?
 mainelythere
Msg: 48
I liken it to going around hitting people just because you are bigger than everyone. Might does not
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:42:26 PM
super the difference you seem to miss is that i dont go around responding to everyone and everything with condescension and sarcasm. I responded to very specific acts on their parts of looking down on others.
A cop with a gun stopping arms smuggling is not a hypocrite. This is where sarcasm is called for, but I will restrain myself.
 mainelythere
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:43:34 PM

lol what the hell are you frothing at the mouth about. try to make some sense in your next post alrighty?

sigh... you tried to accuse Op of being intolerant about sarcasm. I find that term asinine and hyperbolic. SO i gave you examples of other negative traits, are you demonstrating intolerance by not wanting to date those sort of people?
 anthonyalan
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:46:39 PM

OP, here's a huge clue about online dating.

You see a trait in a profile you do not like, ie "sarcasm." Or, smoking, doping, criminal record, bad credit, live in their parents' basement, married three times with multiple kids, no job, whatever it is they admit to.

Whoo hoo! You can scratch that one off your list, and keep fishing. IF there is something you do not like, and someone puts it right there in their profile, Where is the problem. They did you a huge favor.

Another advantage of internet dating. If you'd met her in a bar or in church or through some other dating venue, it might have taken you a lot of wasted time to find out you weren't compatible. Voila, here on Plenty of Fish, you got the bad news FOR FREE.

You are of course right maam, it is a free warning away from the more boorish people on here. In my own way I guess I'm trying to help them see that they are not doing themselves or the world any favors by doing what they do, let alone caring it around like a prize pig for all to see. I just wish there were not so many! Or else I wouldn't be disappointed enough to create this forum. So many beautiful women seem to love to describe themselves this way and I facepalm every time. There is a time and a place for a mocking tone, but if you use it to describe yourself in the small box used to tell the world about you, you must do it all the time and that's the last thing I want in my life. Consider it a public service I guess not a personal insult.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?