Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 51
I liken it to going around hitting people just because you are bigger than everyone. Might does not Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Now when I posted my forum what I was trying to say was is this really how you want to describe yourself to a potential mate?

Psssst. Here' s a little secret. Profiles are actually made up by people using whatever possible means given to them by the Big Fish here on POF. If the person making the profile wants to describe themselves in "this way", I'm pretty sure you're not gonna change their minds, especially with any "reasoning" of yours,written here or in your head. Kinda like biatching about the young things throwing up pics up of their nice little units, not only giving some of us old shiats a smirk, but, also "presenting" themselves in a way they want.

It's why it's called "their" profile.

Yep.

Edit to add:

There is a time and a place for a mocking tone, but if you use it to describe yourself in the small box used to tell the world about you, you must do it all the time and that's the last thing I want in my life. Consider it a public service I guess not a personal insult

Enlightening and exposing.

The bonus of forums.

Done on this one.

hey_yall_watch_this
Msg: 52
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:48:00 PM
Always the hero :)
 ksayer1
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:48:14 PM
Ok mainly,
Let me get this straight, you are on here being mean and obnoxious to prove sarcasim is mean and obnoxious?
What would we call that? Hmmmm
 GJBrown
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:50:27 PM
I say Sarcasm, being goofy, clumsy, etc sould not be on profile anyway
Show don't tell. And yes i'm guilty of having stuff on my profile that i know isnt super attractive.
being shy and quiet
 mainelythere
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:50:50 PM
Let me get this straight, you are on here being mean and obnoxious to prove sarcasim is mean and obnoxious?
Lol thats a glib and inaccurate summation of the situation. I HAVE responded with more vehemence than i normally prefer to AFTER being called names or by being tried to feel embarrassment or shame.

I do like your style though- say insulting rude things and when someone get offended mock them for it and play the victim.

btw you fall under the category of not very intelligent person using sarcasm as a surrogate for wit. Sorry for being "blunt".

As far as I am concerned people that respond to everything on these forums with sarcasm are trolling.

You just sputter mean things that pop into your head and tell your self you are intelligent.

Unlike yourself and the sarcastic duo above me?
 ksayer1
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:56:05 PM
''Let me get this straight, you are on
here being mean and obnoxious to
prove sarcasim is mean and
obnoxious?
Lol thats a glib and inaccurate
summation of the situation. I HAVE
responded with more vehemence than
i normally prefer to AFTER being called
names or by being tried to feel
embarrassment or shame.
I do like your style though- say
insulting rude things and when
someone get offended mock them for
it and play the victim.
btw you fall under the category of
not very intelligent person using
sarcasm as a surrogate for wit. Sorry
for being "blunt"''.

What rude insulting thing did i say? Because you put what at least 5 in just this post.
At least if i don't have a good arguemen i have sarcasim :)
You just sputter mean things that pop into your head and tell your self you are intelligent.
 anthonyalan
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:57:24 PM

Always the hero :)

Or the villian, it's all relative right?
 hey_yall_watch_this
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:02:53 PM
This thing needs a "LIKE" button. hahaha
 melodyof_k
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:17:40 PM
me too...wish they had LIKE buttons.

from google
In sarcasm, ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in "What a fine musician you turned out to be!", "It's like you're a whole different person now...", and "Oh... Well then thanks for all the first aid over the years!" or it may be used in the form of a direct statement, "You couldn't play one piece correctly if you had two assistants." The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal intonation ...[7]
Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way, such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive. Sarcasm can frequently be unnoticed in print form, oftentimes requiring the intonation or tone of voice to indicate the quip

"a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt", ...

Noun
The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Synonyms
irony

I grew up with a sarcastic parent. its not fun or funny.
and when we write e mails, posts, texts,etc....sometimes more than not....it is not possible to tell how the person meant to sound without the voice intonation.
 ksayer1
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:18:10 PM
It would be great if men who get angry if you disagree with them or suggest they look at something a different way and start name calling would just post that in their PFs. Or if they resent women, or hate sarcasim....................
 melodyof_k
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:35:19 PM
oh yes...
it would be great for men who resent women to say so upfront.
but they never will...
because they wont get any sex that way.
(is that sarcastic)
whatever...its true.
 anthonyalan
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:36:55 PM
Was the resenting women thing directed at me? I don't think of myself that way. If I did I think I would know it!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:40:13 PM
anthonyalan

do you mean what I said?
no..not at all towards you.

it was towards any men who resent women in general.
i wish they would write it on their profiles so i would avoid them

I got the idea from the poster above who said something about putting stuff in their profiles.

I do not think sarcasm is a desirable trait at all.
except in comedy shows.
 ksayer1
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 7:52:25 PM
''Was the resenting women thing
directed at me? I don't think of myself
that way. If I did I think I would
know it!''

No, and i am not being sarcastic. Although some men don't seem to know and blame every thing on women, sad but true.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/27/2013 8:01:58 PM
OP AnthonyAllen...
you have been a member for a few years.
are you newer to forums?

being on forums means it might be best to desensitize yourself a bit.
many will say negative things on here...
its a forum where we give opinions.
i have gotten all kinds of "blasts" on here and misunderstood remarks.
you just cant take it personally.
 WQ12
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:04:26 PM

In every 3rd profile I look some girl is describing herself is sarcastic.

Are the other profiles you look at MALE?

I hope its not like that among older women because then I'd be really disappointed.

Not too worry .. lots of bigger disappointments to concern yourself with.

That's not a good trait! It's annoying, petty, and even as a form of humor its pretty lazy.

Ohh, you could have said that much more sarcastically

When someone says they are sarcastic are they expecting something like "Awesome another sarcastic woman!

Well ... there you go .. you're a quick learner ... that was sarcastic. Awesome another sarcastic person,

Boy I can't wait to have my every mistake repeated to me in an annoying tone and see other's receive the same treatment!"

I got good news and bad news.
Good news ... the first part will happen anyway ... the second part will be a refreshing break.
Bad news ... the first part will happen anyway ... the second part will be a refreshing break.

Whoops .. guess I just had news.

I guess on this website they will probably get 20 messages from lonely men anyway because of the ratio so I thought I would bring it up in a forum.

That's called supply and demand.

I would just not write women that describe themselves that way except almost a majority of them do it.

So you, also, recognize and accept supply and demand ... or was it the "lonely men" part.

If that's something you do you should try to minimize it. It's rude and irritating not a selling point jeez.

You're just a little pissed 'cause you discovered there is a little vinegar sprinkled on the sugar. Hey, it's only a little ... maybe.
-----

Seriously, I don't think people/women mentioning they're sarcastic in their profiles actually mean what you think. They are not likely saying they put out a lot of snide comments. They likely just mean sarcasm by exaggeration ..

eg) Man buys polarized glasses to see fish underwater easier, when fishing.

woman one saids : bob falls for ever stupid gimmick, probably got the xray glasses from comic books when he was young too.

woman two : *puts on the glasses in living room* - saids: Look at all the fish I can see .. they are everywhere .. omly 200 bucks, that's a great deal ..... bob better git yer rod out ... bob I need your rod NOW

Most woman are likely referencing women two above ... in their profiles ... at least in their view. No one is going to admit to being `women one` ... no one is that honest in their profiles :-)
 aussieblues
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2013 2:32:25 PM
Sarcasm=the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
(http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sarcasm)
Irony =the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect:
(http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/irony?q=irony)

I feel that people sometimes fail to realise that humour is subjective. One persons sarcasm may be interpreted as hurtful by some and elicit great belly laughs from another.
 mainelythere
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/28/2013 5:20:03 PM

oh yes...
it would be great for men who resent women to say so upfront.
but they never will...
because they wont get any sex that way.
(is that sarcastic)
whatever...its true.

it would be great if women who held men in general contempt and condescension were not allowed online to give good women a bad name.
 hey_yall_watch_this
Msg: 69
What will we have left?
Posted: 2/28/2013 7:14:47 PM
uhm.... ME!!!!
 mainelythere
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:02:53 AM

Can this be applied to men too? What will we have left? We already know you will be out of the running so then what?

Witty responses- of a quality I expect from you.

But yes it can be applied to men, though I think anyone being honest will admit that on online dating sites men are far less likely to make a sweeping statement about ALL women or to demonstrate anger or bitterness.

Not to say it doesnt happen, but these sites favor women, so they feel much more comfortable blasting my gender with no hesitation because they know that men online are so used to being dismissed that they will ignore women bashing men in the hopes of swooping in and playing the "i am not that way" card.

If you can really say the situation is evenly divided then you are being dishonest.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:12:23 AM
I love sarcastic humor and I'm pretty sarcastic myself, but not in a hateful way. The trick is to know when and how to use sarcasm. And it should never be used to dig at someone's Achille's Heel. You definitely gotta know when to turn it off. Personally, I have a hard time with a man who finds no humor in a bit of sarcasm.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:38:44 AM
^
But many people who describe themselves as 'sarcastic' DON'T know when to turn it off.

Many are trying to pre-emptively re-brand their meaness as 'sarcasm'. Saying "I'm sarcastic" just sounds better and more sophisticated than saying "I'm a mean-mouthed *sshole".
 pescando75
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:43:26 AM
Sarcasm is an excellent tool for the passive-aggressive personality. They can be a complete douche nozzle and say,
"oh, I was being sarcastic. Lighten up!"

I've often found in profiles the terms "blunt" and "brutally honest" coming along for the ride with the "sarcasm."

Translated:

"I have diarrhea of the mouth with a built-in excuse." No thanks.
 shine1274
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:18:08 AM
Not as many people like it as you would think. These days many people confuse "wit" with "sarcasm".
 ksayer1
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:38:38 AM
''Sarcasm is an excellent tool for the
passive-aggressive personality. They
can be a complete douche nozzle and
say,
"oh, I was being sarcastic. Lighten
up!"
''

Actually i find this to be more true for the people who say ''just kidding!!'' if you have to say that u just ain't funny.

''I've often found in profiles the terms
"blunt" and "brutally honest" coming
along for the ride with the "sarcasm."
Translated:
"I have diarrhea of the mouth with a
built-in excuse." No thanks.''

You are totally guilty of having diarrhea of the mouth.(other threads) Are you saying you just don't use and ''excuse?''
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?