Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 151
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Posted by DrinkTheSunWithMyFace:
"I'm going to start posting that I think that eric summit and daynadaze are both ugly and I think that they're stupid. "

Not quite sure why you would do that since I have been agreeing with you on this multi-page thread.
This is a forum completely without moderators, so you are free to post in any manner that you wish. Carry on.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?
Posted: 7/8/2015 7:25:08 PM
For pete's sake, my post was a response to this -

And there you go, some of us like it, some of us don't, some of us get it, some of us don't, and some of us like all kinds of things that some of us don't. But it in no way means you are better or they are better, and this whole thing was started just to slam women who like wit, irony and/or sarcasm. That's it, it's just here so those who like to slam people who like something different than some others, can call them names, say they are mean, nasty, whatever makes them feel better about themselves. Otherwise this thread would be about how different humor is and etc., but no, it's about how awful some of us are, inferior, should be put down out of our misery. LOL

They [wit, irony, and sarcasm not being the same thing] are being used as the same, and as a measure of whether your are intelligent or stupid, as a measure of if you are good or awful, as a measure of if you are funny or not...and yes the OP was posting to bash women who don't find him funny. It doesn't matter if you think my humor sucks or I think yours sucks or if we both like each others, it makes nobody better than or less than, it's about not being with people you don't like. No one has to bash someone, just don't be with those people.

...the idea that sarcastic people shouldn't be criticized negatively for being sarcastic - per what sarcasm really is.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 153
Posted: 7/8/2015 8:14:17 PM

Not quite sure why you would do that since I have been agreeing with you on this multi-page thread.
This is a forum completely without moderators, so you are free to post in any manner that you wish. Carry on.

I don't think DrinkTheSunWithMyFace has anything against you personally. Sounds like he just gave an example of something obnoxious and offensive to say about somebody for no reason.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 154
Posted: 7/8/2015 8:54:54 PM

I'm going to start posting that I think that eric summit and daynadaze are both ugly and I think that they're stupid. Always followed with a "giggle giggle". I'm going to post this a couple of times every day. Day after day after day.
Now... if someone "bashes" me for doing that,.... should that person be negatively criticized for bashing me?

NOPE, It shouldn't. But we live in an unfair and mean world , so................

I would recommend etourdi and "becky" ... now that's a team!!

I think she's naming/calling a man with a woman's name, Is that a sarcasm?, or she's just being mean and disrespectful.
I did notice that some men are also doing that, and my question for them is, would you like to be calling with a woman's name and with a laughing emoticon, like she does to this person?
what is your "gain" as a man by disrespecting another man like that?
Why some of you as men support that kind of abuse?
Some people are crossing the line, and enough is enough.!!
IMO, This person deserves to be respected, and it doesn't matter if you like him or not,
No one should call a man with a woman's name... Never.!

Not all women think like that.!!
 daynadaze
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2015 10:17:34 PM
Really Drinks? That's what you think being sarcastic means, that someone would call me & Eric ugly, and over & over again no less? That's your example, your proof? That's not sarcasm. But if it makes you feel superior, have at it.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2015 2:16:10 AM

Really Drinks? That's what you think being sarcastic means, that someone would call me & Eric ugly, and over & over again no less? That's your example, your proof? That's not sarcasm. But if it makes you feel superior, have at it.

Oh you've GOT to be kidding. I swear, what some of you come up with has got to be a put-on. Do you really get so lost so fast? It can't be real, you're just pulling my leg...gotta be...
 cotter
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2015 8:49:46 AM
Message 166 ...

I would recommend etourdi and "becky" ... now that's a team!!

I think she's naming/calling a man with a woman's name, Is that a sarcasm?
Yes.

... or she's just being mean and disrespectful.
Nope.
 aj7125
Msg: 158
Posted: 7/9/2015 9:07:13 AM
She is just being demeaning. Nothing new.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/9/2015 9:57:19 AM
in realted news:

People who self identify as a conservative tend to have increased volume of the right Amygdals and a smaller Anterior Cingulate Cortex, and as such they may have trouble identifiing sarcaism.

Neurocognitive correlates of
liberalism and conservatism

http://lcap.psych.ucla.edu/pdfs/amodio_natureneuroscience07.pdf
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 160
Posted: 7/9/2015 10:05:25 AM

He’s the same way about defining “feminism.”

Then when you call him on his nonsense, he implies there’s something wrong with you.

His genius is perpetually misunderstood. (sarcasm)
 daynadaze
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2015 1:24:39 PM
No Drinks, not playing that game, tell me, how is that considered sarcasm?
 Long_Shot_Kick_D_Bucket
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/24/2015 11:44:09 PM
Just like in profiles that note to please know the differences in spelling they're, their, and there, some need to know the differences of definitions between wit, humor, and sarcasm.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." Oscar Wilde
 NJgirl116
Msg: 163
Posted: 12/25/2015 1:24:34 AM

Just like in profiles that note to please know the differences in spelling they're, their, and there, some need to know the differences of definitions between wit, humor, and sarcasm.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." Oscar Wilde

Yup. Sarcasm is abusive.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 164
Posted: 12/25/2015 7:58:53 AM
I don't like raising my voice, so sarcasm is indeed useful.
 deetristate
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/25/2015 3:44:56 PM
Why does anyone think that it is attractive as a constant state of communicating?

It is also a sign of weakness and fear combined.

Unkind in the guise of " can't you take a joke?"

Weak.

But a lot of people were raised in that environment so think that it is love displayed. Not compatible.
 daynadaze
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2015 7:36:43 PM
Would that be anything like constant (nobody is constantly using sarcasm nor is it someone's form of communication), but anyway, what about constant hate spewing and nasty comments and out right lies and plagiarism and just general intolerance? Can you imagine having to put up with that? That wouldn't be compatible, and yet a lot of people were raised in that environment. Can you imagine. Do you suppose they are weak & fearful too? What should be done for people who are like this?
 gtomustang
Msg: 167
certainly not in ugly guys?
Posted: 12/25/2015 8:45:00 PM
I don't imagine many women find sarcasm desirable in unattractive men. Unless perhaps she's quite sarcastic herself, then she might enjoy a "partner in crime" but certainly not in the bedroom. its not what we can label a "panty-dropper".
But in an attractive fellow, especially one who takes her into his confidence, sarcasm can build an "us versus them" bond--we're the smart people, everyone else is the butt of our jokes. Mild teasing can be flirtatious, and some might mistake it for sarcasm when its really a test--can a fellow take a ribbing, or can't he? I had a woman try it years back, called her out on it, and she tapped my shoulder and said she only did it as a defense mechanism, that she only treated her friends with it, and just ignored everyone else rather than bother to even be sarcastic
 deetristate
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/26/2015 5:13:42 AM
""Teasing: to laugh at and criticize (someone) in a way that is either friendly and playful or cruel and unkind""

Teasing, like sarcasm, can be a family way of interacting and seem like love or perfectly normal and expected to some people.

There is someone for everyone.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 169
Posted: 12/26/2015 6:29:58 AM
I think we have people defining it differently for themselves and not really talking to each other.

Over in Profile Reviews, there was this great profile - don't know if the guy was great, but his profile gave that impression. My review was, "A successful, well rounded guy with a sense of humour? No woman is looking for that." I was being sarcastic, and it was obvious. I was using sarcasm in a complimentary way.

Sarcasm is just a form of irony - I know some disagree with me on this, but I can't think of a single example that isn't irony.
 cotter
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 8:46:30 AM
I don't consider sarcasm as a desirable trait ...

I think sarcasm can be fun when used in a witty way but so often that "fun" sarcasm shows up in arguments and that then becomes demeaning. I know, I've experienced it. When I first met the man I speak of, his wit and sarcasm was "cute" and even "fun", but when we disagreed on certain topics, his tone changed and the sarcasm took on a whole different meaning!

I can live without the sarcasm in good times if the trade off is demeaning and ugly when there is a disagreement ... and often, that is indeed the trade off. People who are sarcastic when they first meet someone and are trying to impress them in a good way don't tend to leave the sarcasm behind when there is an earnest disagreement. That sarcasm can then become very hurtful.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 171
Posted: 12/26/2015 8:53:24 AM
halftime, I think you're right. But the aim and energy is different. (Sez the daughter of a man who adored irony.) Irony seems to me to be aimed at the self, or the universe. Sarcasm, at another. And sarcasm is intended to hurt, or would if heard by the recipient, and there's more energy behind it. Irony, to me, is gentle, and often funny. Sarcasm is just mean.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 172
Sardonic
Posted: 12/26/2015 9:25:24 AM
Now, sardonic is sarcasm on steroids.

disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking
 daynadaze
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 1:58:16 PM
Really gto, now it's that women will put up with sarcasm if the man is attractive? Just how ridiculous are we women suppose to be.

It doesn't matter if you like or don't like sarcasm, the problem here is the need to bash and make fun of those who happen to be good with sarcasm, because you know, only one side can win. It's ridiculous. Just don't be with someone who acts in a way you don't like, the need to bash them says much more than someone having traits you don't happen to like.

It's like when people go off on those who have charm, as though charmers is only cons who are out to hurt you, use you, take from you, when in fact many charming people are perfecting nice and many people find them attractive (as in their personality, not referring to their looks) and yet some people just have to bash away at good people and tag them with insults.

Now there are those who are sarcastically mean, we see some of that here while they pretend to be saying they don't like sarcasm, but not all who use sarcasm are being mean. Again, it's just a word some have latched onto to insult others.
 gtomustang
Msg: 174
Posted: 12/26/2015 2:49:06 PM
I think we all engage in sarcasm once or a few times in our entire life. but some like to engage in it often. it might even be a testing device--if someone gets a lot of people bothering them for favors and such, they may find repeated sarcasm tests who is really interested in being a friend and who just wants something. sort of like the "ice queen" test.

"Really gto, now it's that women will put up with sarcasm if the man is attractive? Just how ridiculous are we women suppose to be."

>>>well, according to what women post here about complaints in relationships, there's a bit of nonsense they will put up with :) and its not just women, there are guys who will overlook something in order to get what they want. No, not all humans are slaves to an attractive face, but a bunch of us will put up with bad characteristics we wouldn't stand in a friend...in order to get a pleasureable feeling in our "down unders".

after all, while does anyone complain about something they didn't like, that they saw in a profile? b/c the profile is unattractive? naw, they just skip right over that profile to check out the next one. does a woman really care an ugly fellow can't spell? does a man care an unattractive woman is sarcastic?

we get upset when what we want...has a cost we can't stand to pay.
 VeryHappyNewYear2016
Msg: 175
Posted: 12/26/2015 3:01:30 PM
I find people who "flirt" to be disingenuous and fake. Being oneself should be enough to be attractive.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?