Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Jodi Arias Trial      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Jodi Arias TrialPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Yes I have watched this on a just about daily basis.
Questions I have. Is Perjury still a crime and prosecuted?
Is taking evidence away from a crime scene and destroying/discarding it a punishable act.
Isn't recording a conversation illegal still?

There are so many lies and contradictions I don't think there is anyway in the world she will escape the drip treatment unless they somehow get the manslaughter punishments to be allowed in determining her fate. I don't think this is a manslaughter or 2nd degree murder case.

I really would like to know why the one juror who took copious amounts of notes was dismissed.

The defense with their expert witnesses I think they could almost be prosecuted for incompetent defense.
Allison Lavoilette proved what a BS thing Battered Woman Syndrome is.
The other psychologist (male) was just inept at best.

If I was the state I would have used Nancy Davis PHD as a witness. Here is a link to an article I came across along time ago about the Abusive Woman. As I have listened to the testimony I think the following article is spot on as to what Jody Arias was doing.
http://drnancydavis.com/articles/the-abusive-woman-2

Sadly I think Alan Dershowitz wrote the perfectly named book. "Abuse excuse" and I add this case as another perfect example of what he was alluding to in his book.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 152
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/2/2013 8:41:20 AM
"Questions I have. Is Perjury still a crime and prosecuted?
Is taking evidence away from a crime scene and destroying/discarding it a punishable act.
Isn't recording a conversation illegal still?"

Devilsfan -- Perjury is still a crime. But it's highly doubtful Jodi Arias will ever face any kind of perjury charges. I think the defense experts should face perjury charges also, but I'm sure that will never happen. It didn't happen in the Casey Anthony trial either and we all know her mother lied to protect Casey.

Destroying evidence is probably just a misdemeanor and hardly worth the time to prosecute her in light of the murder charges she's up against. But maybe they'll throw in perjury and destroying evidence as lesser-included crimes.

And recording a conversation isn't illegal. As long as one person knows it's being recorded -- and that means it's OK if the person recording it is the only person who knows. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 11:28:33 AM
"do you mean in THIS case or in all cases??

Certainly not in all but if this case was held for example in Washington State with the new gender neutral wording we could not call it Woman, and it would be Battered persons syndrome. Does anyone else drive 1000 miles slash someone elses tires, and their girlfriends car too, steal engagement rings, crawl in through the pets door, break into email and financial accounts, stab someone 29 times, slash their throat from ear to ear, shoot them in the head and then claim he was domestic violent. She didn't even live or belong there.

I think in this case Jody was more of a victimizer then Travis and the premise is that she is trying to use a woman only loophole to escape accountability.

Allison Lavoilette couldn't even give a fair assessment in my opinon. We will soon see how the defense feels.
 Bluegold007
Msg: 154
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 11:41:18 AM
Did you all hear that the jury can consider man slaughter??? That's ffing b.s She stabbed her bf over 20 times and slit his sloat. But she might be let off on a charge that carries 15 years?? I betcha, if this was a guy on trial, there would be no man-slaughter consideration. I think capital punishment is what she deserves. She killed someone in a vicious, cold blooded way
 phoenix_55
Msg: 155
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 12:15:16 PM
I heard there was a possibility of manslaughter, but I don't think the jury will go for it. There's too much evidence for premeditation. Her lawyer is grasping at straws during his closing argument. The prosecutor has already blown the defense case out of the water in my opinion.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:27:58 PM
Thank You. Exactly my point. but you put it much better.

In truth the defenses expert witnesses did as much damage as Jody did with all her lies and statment that "No Jury is Ever going to Convict me"...

If I was Juan I would have opened my closing and closed my closing with that one soundbit from Jody.
 daynadaze
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:31:43 PM
It worked for Casey Anthony, her lawyer came out swinging with that whole made up crap about Casey's dad & brother molesting her, and look how murder turned out for her. The jury just might be thinking, poor messed up Jodi, abused and confused and it's all the fault that bad oversexed man who done her wrong!

It's disgusting but it seems to work sometimes. It's an insult to real victims, but someone who would murder someone they keep saying they love, well a big lie is no problem for them to live with.
 cotter
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:12:38 PM
I don't think the gas cans are an indication of premeditation. I think she rented a car that she just didn't know how the gas mileage would work out. The many times I've crossed the desert ... even knowing my car, I always had extra gas with me just in case.

I think if she wanted to murder him she would have waited until he was asleep.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 159
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/4/2013 4:03:25 PM
cotter, I appreciate that you're so forgiving of Jodi Arias, I mean, considering the fact that she's a proven liar, sociopath and a stalker who couldn't take no for an answer. The gas cans are absolutely a sign of premeditation, along with the stolen gun, and the rental car which she rented so her car wouldn't be recognized either stopping to get gas or lurking around Travis's house. Same goes for dying her hair from blond to dark -- to escape recognition. Nobody drives a thousand miles with all the aforesaid without some serious planning. Even if all that doesn't convince you, as the prosecutor said, premeditation can be determined within a matter of seconds -- whenever you make that decision to kill someone, that's premeditation. Jodi Arias was well aware of what she was doing.

As far as waiting until he was asleep ... she wanted him to know he was going to die. Her sociopathic personality wouldn't be satisfied with him not knowing she murdered him. She wanted him to see it coming.
 daynadaze
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/4/2013 4:32:36 PM

I think if she wanted to murder him she would have waited until he was asleep.

That's because you are thinking she was a battered woman, quite often a battered woman will kill the abuser after they are asleep. Because they want it all to stop, they don't really want the confronting, they are often deathly afraid of confronting, they just want it to stop. When you want a person to know they are going to die because they aren't doing things your way (as in a sociopath like Jodi) you wouldn't want them asleep, they want them scared and begging you and knowing they are paying the price for messing up your plans. This was a revenge killing, not an attack to protect yourself from an abuser. Jodi is the abuser in this case.

Travis made a fatal mistake thinking all this great sex was free and fun, she was serious, she had a goal and she's mentally ill. He messed with the wrong woman and even being warned, the sex was such a draw for him that he wanted as much of it before he might have to cut her off for real. He played a game with someone who was not playing. People are complicated, there's rarely such a thing as no-strings sex, it's usually going to cost you in one way or another. He wasn't an innocent in this whole thing, but he misjudged her, he thought she was just a pest that came with wild sex, she was psycho and ready to fix him for not filling her needs.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 161
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/4/2013 4:55:16 PM
"Travis made a fatal mistake thinking all this great sex was free and fun, she was serious, she had a goal and she's mentally ill. He messed with the wrong woman and even being warned, the sex was such a draw for him that he wanted as much of it before he might have to cut her off for real. He played a game with someone who was not playing. People are complicated, there's rarely such a thing as no-strings sex, it's usually going to cost you in one way or another. He wasn't an innocent in this whole thing, but he misjudged her, he thought she was just a pest that came with wild sex, she was psycho and ready to fix him for not filling her needs."

daynadaze ... that is the most succinct description of the dysfunctional relationship between Travis and Jodi. You hit the nail on the head.

I did laugh at your description of Jodi as "a pest that came with wild sex ..." funny and accurate.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 162
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 11:47:48 AM
It better be "quilty" of the murder in the first. She is/was definitely a nutbar....all for the sake of "sex"...he should have quit seeing her...tsk..tsk..
I'm always so afraid of jury trials....Look what has happened in the past...with
-O.J.
-Casey Anthony
-Robert Blake
 bucsgirl
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 2:01:41 PM
First degree murder, IMO, the correct verdict. I am glad for the sake of his family that they all got the correct measure of justice. I really don't think the sentencing phase is quite as important, as it will be either life in prison or death, either way, she won't be able to harm another person. Society is safer with her behind bars.
 Madailein
Msg: 164
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 3:33:31 PM
Mr. Martinez, the prosecutor, deserves a great deal of credit for this guilty of murder in the first degree verdict.

Arias deserves the death penalty for her heinous crime.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:00:04 PM
"I won't celebrate this until Arias has been given the death penalty, and the death penalty has been carried out."

Your feelings are your feelings. I don't know about Arizona, but where I live (Florida) death penalty cases usually take at least 10 years to work through the level of appeals. Unfortunately, I have personal experience with a death penalty case ( which the state sought) and the perp was given life. In many ways, death would be easier for the defendant, as it would be a quicker end to their suffering, which is MUCH DESERVED. I wish the perp in my case would have been sentenced to death, as the sentence would have been carried out, as it is it's been 21 years and he still draws breath so far. However, it is some consolation, if you can call it that that his existence has been miserable and he's suffered abuse (allegedly).

You do, however, express your own prejudice in your post, as not all feminists are the same, just as not any member of any group of individuals are the same. Not all death penalty advocates are feminists and not all feminists are death pentalty advocates, just to infuse some factual info into this topic, whether you appreciate it or not.

As a family member of a homicide victim, for me, the justice is the conviction. The sentencing verdict is less important. You use some strong language which isn't appropriate, IMO, and anyone who serves on a jury is very much aware of their duty and educated as to how the process works and their role in it. If I had to name an idiot which would be the word I would use, it would be the defense attorney. Then again, it's his job, and he was just throwing out anything he could come up with and hoping some of it would stick. I doubt the verdict was a shock to him.

The Casey Anthony case has no relevance to this and is also totally off topic. If you want to discuss that or any other case, then do a thread search here or find anotoher forum where that IS the topic.
 matchlight
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:19:14 PM
but where I live (Florida) death penalty cases usually take at least 10 years to work through the level of appeals.

I think it's even more drawn out than that here in California--and it's ridiculous. All contested issues should be consolidated in one appeal, and it should be rushed to the front of the line. If there have been no errors likely to have affected the verdict, then carry out the sentence. I can't imagine why in any capital case execution should be delayed more than one year after conviction.

I don't think all murders warrant a death penalty--but I think this one does.

not all feminists are the same

That's true. Some are even worse than the others.
 daynadaze
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/8/2013 11:51:38 PM
Her death is important to me because that's what she deserves given the acts she committed. I don't believe in life in prison for most murderers. That's my opinion, I am really not required to explain it to anyone. We have laws, a death sentence is possible in this case and personally I find the it to be the best way to go.

I think calling women rabid feminists says a whole lot about the woman hater and nothing about women who believe in equal rights. I see nothing about this case that involves rabid feminists, Arias admitted to murder then show herself to be someone who would do such an act in a blaze of glory to teach this man a lesson for not marrying her. Jodi Arias or her looks have nothing to do with equal rights for women, that's about the dumbest shark jumping in this whole thread. I don't see any connection between women wanting equal rights and thinking Jodi is attractive, doable or deserving of a lesser sentence, that's ridiculous and it's total bullshit. What Jodi did was an act of revenge by a pissed off women with an entitlement streak a mile wide and the exact opposite of what the feminist movement fought for.

Arias is nothing more than a cold-blooded murderer and should be put to death.
 Bluegold007
Msg: 168
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 7:10:49 AM
Guilty! Now that's justice. I doubt though the jury will nail her with capital punishment. She'll testify at the sentencing hearing, put on a sob story,resulting in the jurors feeling sorry enough to let her off with life in prison. I will bet you anything that will happen. Who wants to place money?
 matchlight
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 8:39:19 AM
I heard she said she'd rather be executed. I doubt it--sounds more like the sort of clever manipulation that's a psychopath's stock in trade. Maybe too clever--we'll see.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 170
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 9:58:35 AM
Solitary for life would be a better choice for this woman. She said, "Death is the ultimate freedom." She liked the limelight, anyway.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 171
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 10:15:27 AM
If anyone deserves the death penalty, Jodi Arias does. But if she doesn't get the death penalty, I'm OK with prison for life. She still shows no remorse and seems genuinely puzzled that she got convicted. Without all the drama and publicity she's been getting, I imagine she'll just wither up like a flower with no sun. And I'm OK with that too. The most important thing is that justice prevailed, unlike the Casey Anthony fiasco. Jodi Arias is one killer who won't be set free.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 2:25:35 PM
"She'll testify at the sentencing hearing, put on a sob story,resulting in the jurors feeling sorry enough to let her off with life in prison."

Again, that's not how the system works. There are specific criteria to be met for a death penalty, just like there are criteria to be met for a capital conviction. I've seen many interviews of jurors in many capital and other cases and they based their decision on whether or not they felt that the factual information satisfied that criteria or not. If it weren't that way, the judge wouldn't have to bother to give the jury instructions, which they do also during the sentencing phase. And getting sentenced to life isn't exactly "letting her off". Jurors are selected during the first phase of a trial and tasked with an onerous responsibility. They are expected to base their decision and discuss the facts as they were presented.

I think in this case if it WERE based on sympathy. they would almost certainly return a death sentence. She has hardly presented herself as a sympathetic defendant.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 173
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 3:13:24 PM
+1 phoenix I totally agree
[If anyone deserves the death penalty, Jodi Arias does. But if she doesn't get the death penalty, I'm OK with prison for life. She still shows no remorse and seems genuinely puzzled that she got convicted. Without all the drama and publicity she's been getting, I imagine she'll just wither up like a flower with no sun. And I'm OK with that too. The most important thing is that justice prevailed, unlike the Casey Anthony fiasco. Jodi Arias is one killer who won't be set free.]

I'm so happy that she got convicted. I think she threw out the death penalty statement because she wants it to appear that is her wish, but who wants to give a killer her wishes after murdering someone. She wants to live I can assure you. It's just another ploy in her twisted little mind.
 anita_lay
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 3:26:41 PM
The death penalty can never be justified.
Killing someone because they killed someone only legitimises murder.
 daynadaze
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Jodi Arias Trial
Posted: 5/9/2013 9:40:57 PM
No, killing someone who has killed innocent people is a way to cull the herd and keep society healthy. A murderer like Arias has given up her right to live, she has no place in society and I don't much care for keeping people like her alive and in jail.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Jodi Arias Trial