Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sailinges
Msg: 466
Does it matter if he lies about his agePage 18 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Cashmere, big..big mistake admitting you lie about your age. The authentic people here will never accept that somebody might fib about such a crucial fact. My gosh, there is a world of difference between 51 and 52.
 2015cashmere
Msg: 467
Does it matter if he lies about his age
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:32:10 AM
Oh I know. The age police. I also lie about my income, pets, birth order and occupation. If I was actually using this site to date, I might be more truthful, might even post a picture. As it sits right now, I value my privacy and I don't want someone doing a photo search and using my personal information against me. I'm an admitted sinner and I don't really care.
 kj521
Msg: 468
Posted: 4/28/2015 10:32:40 AM
Come on now....sometimes this lying about your age gets ridiculous!

Take my Grandma, for instance....She has been claiming 89 for at least 5 years now.
We finally had enough and forced her to turn 90 this year.
Had to rough her up a little....held her down and poured a couple of shots of patron down her throat....but hey...you do what you have to.

Only problem is...she had such a great time....she wants to be 90 again next year. Apparently that woman did not learn her lesson....
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 469
Posted: 4/28/2015 10:46:15 AM
You're funny Kj....Had to hold her down...what an image....lol.

Lying is a big part of the reason why I am not so keen on searching on here for men anymore.
I have no problem attracting or meeting men but I am tired of wondering....what is the truth.....while I am searching and wondering....why some men that claim to be 50...look so old.
Lying about his age, probably isn't the biggest crime but I'm so tired of trying to guess at someones correct age.
I want a level field....I don't want to think I am meeting up with a 60 year old and get there and he's 70...sorry, big difference...to me.
FYI....I don't lie...been years.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 470
Posted: 4/28/2015 1:32:34 PM

Me? I think it is important that a person be truthful about direct questions.

I agree with you completely. A lie is a lie.

In some circumstances, I would be okay with " I prefer not to say, " depending on the question.

If a man wants to date me, then his age IS my business.

Failing that, at least not be dishonest.

True. Even a range would be preferable to an outright lie. For example, I am in my forties ( for exactly 3 and half more months) . LOL
 MsMicki
Msg: 471
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2015 1:51:03 PM
I have yet to see one plausible reason to lie about your age.....

anyone???
 newoldgirl
Msg: 472
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:08:56 PM

Me? I think it is important that a person be truthful about direct questions.

I agree with you completely. A lie is a lie.

In some circumstances, I would be okay with " I prefer not to say, " depending on the question.

If a man wants to date me, then his age IS my business.

Failing that, at least not be dishonest.

True. Even a range would be preferable to an outright lie. For example, I am in my forties ( for exactly 3 and half more months) . LOL
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 473
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:10:40 PM
^^^^^^^
MsMicki,

The Patron sounded pretty good....
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 474
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:16:40 PM

I remember WANTING to be older " I am 8 and a half" now I cling to the last second of the day of hatching.

I remember WANTING to be 21 again when I walked into a young people's bar. That was just this past weekend. ;) Of course, if we're only as old as we feel, then I guess when my hormones are raging and I have a crazy session of "self time" with lotion, kleenex, and swanky VHS tapes -- I'm 14 again! Yay.

I have no problem attracting or meeting men but I am tired of wondering....what is the truth.....while I am searching and wondering....why some men that claim to be 50...look so old.

Do you sit there wondering & searching when you see some men that claim to be 50 when they look so young? "Screw you, man! I just can't take this uneasiness from wondering! I'm out!" ;)

At bars I've lied to women about my age. To some I say 29, to some I say 39 (young gal or MILF). Either way, I am who I am! And if one's online, if their pictures are recent -- that's the important part. Not what their drivers license says.

Would you rather have someone who looked older and more ragged than their outdated picture, but their age was spot on
OVER
Someone who looked better than their pictures that are on-target, but their age is a few years younger for marketing purposes?

"Neither" is not an option. Most people would pick the latter.

With all that said, yes, it can be a WTF when people lie about their age! Of course! But it's Usually because they're lying about their appearance in person. But some folks will still get upset because age itself & 100% by itself means something that they can't put their finger on. It's just how they were conditioned in life.

There IS a benefit in fibbing about one's age. But like everything else, there's boundaries in which you do it where it garners advantages at the end of the day, or backlash... doesn't offend people and 'damage' is very minimal, or does offend people in general. Again, online is a numbers game -- it does not revolve around you (or I). When someone tries to play their hand too big on age or anything else one can exaggerate or fib about -- it'll blow up in their face.

If a lie is a lie is a lie -- then a BIG % of gals who put "Average" should get shunned, as MANY if not most ARE "a few extra pounds", if not more than just a few. We've been conditioned to fib on that as being "OK".

Some gals will get more benefits putting "Average" and putting 39 instead of the staunch truth of 42 and "A Few Extra Pounds". Sorry, it works.

Now, "Athletic" and 29? No, that'll blow up in one's face - lol.
 2015cashmere
Msg: 475
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:29:05 PM
^^^ You're 35, have life by the tail. You "think" you know it all and aren't afraid to voice your opinion. Go read the thread "At 50 are we now invisible..."

You won't be so c0ck sure at 49 turning 50...or 60 and trying to date . You may view things through different eyes, you might. So yup, at 35 you might be all that and a bag of chips but when you're 65, maybe even 55 you might not bat an eye at shaving off two or three years or putting down "average" when you aren't. Or not, who knows. But you aren't there yet so you don't know for sure.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 476
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:46:15 PM
kj521- She sounds a lot like my grandmother. She would not admit how old she was if you tortured her.
She stayed 68 for most of her life ;)
Boy, was she ever spunky (I got it from somewhere), I remember once she cut her hand washing a glass and we had to take her to the ER.
The doctor kept asking ME questions about her and her health. She took it for a while, eventually, she tapped him on the shoulder and said "You can ask me, I'm standing right here"...:0 :D
He got as red as a beet and apologized to her.
She passed away on January 1st, had she lived until March 5th, she would have been 99 years young, I miss her every day.
 Eternityboreme
Msg: 477
Posted: 4/28/2015 2:49:33 PM

Some gals will get more benefits putting "Average" and putting 39 instead of the staunch truth of 42 and "A Few Extra Pounds". Sorry, it works.

I will become 42 in June and I'm a Few extra, and I still get dates -- and offers when I'm out and about. I don't need to lie about my age: I am beautiful at my age. And though I look my age, I also look youthful. I look and feel my age -- which is damn well fine by me.
 2015cashmere
Msg: 478
Posted: 4/28/2015 3:55:13 PM
My grandmother was beautiful at her 90th birthday,she still coloured her hair red. She was quick and witty at her 100th and finally let the white hair shine. She died just a month shy of her 104th birthday. She was an inspiration.

Many men and women get dates whether they are a few extra pounds, have grey hair, no hair or use a cane. Beauty, true beauty, comes from within and draws people towards the glow. I know a lot of people that are beautiful on the outside but they seem to be ugly on the inside. Never judge a book by its cover holds true.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 479
Posted: 4/28/2015 4:04:54 PM
2015cashmere- Redheads rock! ;)
Thank you for sharing that, I'm a grandmother now, my son and his wife are about to have their second child.
We find out next week what it is.
They already have a girl, so we are hoping it's a boy.
As long as it's healthy though, I am SO excited.
If I'm half the grandmother mine was, I've done well:)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 480
Posted: 4/28/2015 4:50:08 PM

I will become 42 in June and I'm a Few extra, and I still get dates -- and offers when I'm out and about. I don't need to lie about my age: I am beautiful at my age.

I never implied that one Had to lie -- just that it gives them a marketable advantage, sometimes pound for pound (no pun intended) a key boost when it matters little. Not just in replies, but general success. Yes, you can more afford to set yours at a Few Extra, because you have a very pretty face. Your marketing points would go up at 39 + Average, but not as much of a difference for an average Jane face... as you point out -- there's no real need for that for you. But my point is that for others, it'd be more of an advantage to take in for consideration.

Us guys are used to having fib about their age, especially to knock it down to avoid a 0 or a 5. And used to them fibbing about their weight, but with that, we'll be WTF when it goes too far. But in the end, it's all about whether she looks like her pictures and if that there's nothing else (bad) that wasn't included -- just the same as everyone else. I think the small range of fibbing on age is to counteract the unnecessary stereotyping about the age # itself that folks have, which I understand.

Years ago I had several dates with a gal who said she was 39. She was a hot MILF. I figured she was probably around 42, as she looked her age and wanted to avoid the 'ol 4-oh. Turns out, she was nearing 60! But she was still hot, so obviously I wasn't going to run. I couldn't believe it. I kept asking her if she didn't mean she was 48, not 58. Nearing 60?! I made sure to inspect the goods -- nothing bad. Kind of like a doctor inspecting a patient who just came out of a train wreck without a scratch. I was in awe of wonder & curiosity; she should have been on a reality show or something. Nothing seemed fake or plastic.

Or maybe she lied about being so old so she'd trick me into thinking she couldn't get pregnant and on menopause! If she tried pulling that 'ol trick, I would have had her in trouble for lying, as I always have Everything on video!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 481
Posted: 4/28/2015 5:46:04 PM

anyone???

To sign up for military service.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 482
Posted: 4/28/2015 6:22:56 PM

I never implied that one Had to lie -- just that it gives them a marketable advantage, sometimes pound for pound (no pun intended) a key boost when it matters little. Not just in replies, but general success. Yes, you can more afford to set yours at a Few Extra, because you have a very pretty face. Your marketing points would go up at 39 + Average, but not as much of a difference for an average Jane face... as you point out -- there's no real need for that for you. But my point is that for others, it'd be more of an advantage to take in for consideration.

Duh. Lying about your age gives you an (unfair and dishonest) advantage. We KNOW that! You keep giving reasons why people do it, which is not the point at all. The point is, it is lying and it is wrong, dammit!
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 483
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:22:49 PM

Duh. Lying about your age gives you an (unfair and dishonest) advantage. We KNOW that!

Well...... not everyone:

I have yet to see one plausible reason to lie about your age..... anyone???

Which is why I expanded in my last post. But my last post was to make it clear I wasn't saying it was Needed or would give a huge advantage to everyone, as those with a pretty face it'd only make a (smaller) difference that they really didn't need.

The point is, it is lying and it is wrong, dammit!

Well, how much of a travesty is it really, is the argument. They're not all the same, and they're not all seen as bad. If someone's 15 and they lie and say they're, say, 19 -- yeah that carries it worse than 39 vs 42. If someone says they're 39 and they're 58 (and not some 1 in a million ageless being), that's way worse. If someone says they're Thin but are actually 100lbs overweight -- WAY worse than saying Average but upon meeting you see they could lose between 10 pounds.

Are people telling those who put Average when they close 10+ pounds that they're lying and it is wrong, dammit? ;) Or how about a gal who's not interested in a guy who tells him she's busy over and over again, when she's not? Or someone saying in their profile that they're a real active person, etc -- but when in reality, they particularly aren't -- but it sounded good to put in a profile for better advertising. Or a gal who says "I Just want to be friends First," but really -- you find out she doesn't mean that. She wants you to take the bill, and she doesn't want to be platonic. After all, friends first before what? Being more than friends! But you find out that gal said that for a sense of taking the pressure off... while also not wanting to feel obligated about anything associated with the dating scene (but get the benefits). Or say that didn't happen, but on a date she offers to pay for half which could convince a hard-nosed lawyer that she was telling the truth -- but in the end, you find out that she wanted the guy to say "No, I got it"? Why did she lie by giving a misleading POV? To be "polite" or for any other related reason for her own comfort. Or someone lying by saying they live in the city area, but really, they live about 15m out in the further-out suburbs?

That's where I put in 39 vs 42, or Average (with a 'few' extra) vs Few Extra. Not in the same boat as a fake picture or old picture from yesteryear where they looked way better... or someone lying that they're 18+ when they're a minor... or that they're single when they're in a Relationship, etc.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 484
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:49:34 PM
I had put "Average" on my thingy until I received a message saying "Why do you say average when you are clearly overweight?" I think he wanted me.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 485
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2015 1:57:38 AM
whatsamattababy

As you are not overweight why worry about some jerk who has no life, but time to make pointless comments to you. It is all a bit subjective anyway with some men wanting preying mantises and others preferring a few curves.
 deetristate
Msg: 486
Posted: 4/29/2015 3:07:38 AM
Same reason people lie about or omit their age on a job application. AGE DISCRIMINATION. Can you blame them.
Put older and then people say - You look good for your age
 newoldgirl
Msg: 487
Posted: 4/29/2015 3:46:24 PM

Well, how much of a travesty is it really, is the argument. They're not all the same, and they're not all seen as bad. If someone's 15 and they lie and say they're, say, 19 -- yeah that carries it worse than 39 vs 42. If someone says they're 39 and they're 58 (and not some 1 in a million ageless being), that's way worse.

Lying about your age is a lie at all times, regardless of by how much. Age is objective. You weren't "sort of" born on Jan 12, 1995. You either were born on that date or you were not. I cannot wrap my head around why people struggle with this concept.

If someone says they're Thin but are actually 100lbs overweight -- WAY worse than saying Average but upon meeting you see they could lose between 10 pounds.

You are back to the "amount' of the lie again. It doesn't matter, because AGE is objective. Weight is objective; body type is subjective. This site doesn't ask for weight; it asks for body type. Step on the scale, you get an objective answer. Look in the mirror, you might see something different. Lots of heavy people genuinely believe they are husky, or chubby, or stocky. Not much point in arguing about it either, since someone's " few" extra pounds is 5, and someone else's is 25.

That's where I put in 39 vs 42,

Well, if you are okay with lying, have at 'er.
I'm not.
 Eckhartwarmingtolle
Msg: 488
Posted: 4/29/2015 3:55:46 PM

anyone???

I used to have a friend who was 39 going on 40 and he was very aware of how a LOT of women's age restrictions only went to 39. So, when he turned 40 it didn't take long for him to notice the crickets increase in volume to the point of ringing in his ears 24/7.

So, he LIED , evil creature that he was, and changed his age back to 39. and PRESTO : back in biz.

I don't know how he slept at night duping women by a whole year like that just to fit in the age restriction.

Needless to say, we aren't friends anymore.

I mean, how could I trust him after that ?

If he could lie about his age he could be capable of any heinous crime !
What if we got into an argument and he murdered me for disagreeing with him ?

Nope, I was outta there !
 bamagrl68
Msg: 489
Posted: 4/29/2015 4:13:12 PM
Eckhart- This was another dating site?
I thought you could not message anyone 15 years younger than you, but as far as I know POF doesn't draw a line in the sand over a year?
My take on this- I don't understand all the fuss.
I've never lied about my age, I lived each of those days, I earned those birthdays darn it!
I'm not sure your friend would murder you over that.
From time to time, we would probably both die from a case of terminal sarcasm ;D
 newoldgirl
Msg: 490
Posted: 4/29/2015 4:49:50 PM

If he could lie about his age he could be capable of any heinous crime !
What if we got into an argument and he murdered me for disagreeing with him ?

Well if he did murder you , you just KNOW he'd lie about it, too!

Honest, judge I didn't KILL him. I simply stopped him from, you know, being alive. Which is a completely different thing :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >