Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A_Lioness
Msg: 29
Does it matter if he lies about his agePage 2 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Honesty is so important in a relationship. Begin as you mean to end :-)
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 30
Does it matter if he lies about his age
Posted: 3/1/2013 5:58:50 PM
Why not meet him and see how you feel? some people look good for their age and others dont. A lot of people lie about all sorts of things online and until you see them in person you cant say whether you are attracted or not. If all goes well and he tells you the truth then a little lie can be forgiven. Most women do lie for sure but loading old pics and then meeting up is a recipe for disaster. Hope he is not at least married. Good luck
 gmamarilu
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:17:43 PM
When I first started dating, I met a guy who is now 62. He got into a LTR with a girl my age. I guess they just broke up because I see him back on here and he is now 58!! The best part is the first line in his profile is "I'm an honest...." LOL
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:57:15 PM
If a person lies about their age then they will lie about other things. That is the bottom line be it a male or a female.
The reason others lie about their age is because despite what people say age is a factor that everyone looks at in a profile before giving someone a chance to prove that age doesn't matter.
In my opinion the ages on a profile should not be listed at all. Instead there should be age brackets listed. Dating sites shoot themselves in the foot on some things. Age being one, as well as weight(which is a difference of opinion depending on who is the viewer).
Anyway, to lie is to lie period.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:03:07 PM
^^^undisclosed body type, is that a sin of omission???

Is smiling just to be polite a lie?

Is wearing makeup, covering the gray, a lie?

yadda yadda yadda...
 DragonBits
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:06:21 PM
My first wife lied about her age when I first met her and we went out on a date. Not Internet related.

She changed the month and day of her birthday and left the year the same, she didn't want to give out personal info, and she didn't want me to have her phone number.

Which I told her was odd, since I lived in an apartment high rise 30 feet from her on the same floor, an L shaped hall way, if I left the blinds open she could see into my living room.
 doesntmatter2me
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:30:21 AM
Agree with the others who say "If they lie about that...". (My real age is shared, it is what it is..a number)
"Funny" though how most fellas in my area look waaaaaaaaaay older than me..and they're supposedly 42-44 LOL

I used to only cut some slack for the ones that would admit their (supposed) real age in the narrative of their profile. - I can appreciate that a person might come across someone of intrigue and not be able to contact them because of their "age".

Maybe having age groups to select from when setting up profiles would help cut down on some of the dishonesty? (ie. 45-55...just like we use in searches)
 ThisIsExistence
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:41:45 AM
@DragonBits

She changed the month and day of her birthday and left the year the same, she didn't want to give out personal info,

Hey, you know, you can't do an astrological profile on her if you don't have her correct birth info !!
 DragonBits
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:53:27 AM

She changed the month and day of her birthday and left the year the same, she didn't want to give out personal info,

Hey, you know, you can't do an astrological profile on her if you don't have her correct birth info !!

That explains a lot. :):)

Technically I don't think she knew when she was really born, the Catholic church and the nuns that were raising her created a birth certificate for her to make her older so she could immigrate to the USA when she was younger than 18.

That was 35 years before I met her, not like it really mattered to us, though astrologically speaking this would be a problem.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:55:22 AM
The lie is one thing--and the difference is--people wearing makeup you can tell are wearing makeup--etc but because this AGE related group of people don't view age as what it simply is--number of years on the earth--not an indication of looks, maturity, up bring or anything really important--so why lie?

Those who feel the need to lie about their age are showing denial--they feel they are entitled to more views, hits, interaction than someone else their own age should receive. They have this mindset that younger is better and they justify it with I look young for my age--well no you don't--you might look good for your age but you don't look younger.

Imagine if everyone had their real ages on here--then the misconceptions about age wouldn't be so bad--we would all be the age we are and no one excluding anyone or thinking they are better than they are.

Date the person not the age--but please be the age you say so it doesnt show you are in denial about your age.
 DragonBits
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:03:36 AM

Maybe having age groups to select from when setting up profiles would help cut down on some of the dishonesty? (ie. 45-55...just like we use in searches)

You know what would cut down on the dishonesty? Require all profiles to have a veridate or BeenVerified certificate. Verfiy height, weight, age, marital status. But then PoF would go out of business. :)

Never happen, but as an experiment, I think it would be a hoot.

Seriously, I hope most people are fairly honest, but the most prolific people who date often are likely the least honest, so you see naturally see more of them on a dating site.
 DragonBits
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:09:16 AM

Imagine if everyone had their real ages on here--then the misconceptions about age wouldn't be so bad--we would all be the age we are and no one excluding anyone or thinking they are better than they are.

I look at a ton of profiles of both men and women. I think geez, either they don't look good for their age or I am very lucky to look OK at 60. And I am assuming these are recent pics, those who meet and greet frequently report many do not look at all like their pics.

I have no real personal exerience about this so I can only go by what people tell me.
 Paderic
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:25:57 AM
To the OP, I would suggest dropping the prepositional phrase from your question. What you should be asking is simply, "Does it matter if he/she lies?"
 Midwest_Southwest
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:48:32 AM
I see lying about age as someone’s either not being able to accept himself or herself, or believing its okay to be unethical- lie, fudge, make excuses- to get what they want. Neither is a personality trait I’d want to deal with in a partner. Seems like a set up for complication and drama.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:54:57 AM
I really wish the OP would come back and tell us just what was said that "seemed to indicate" that the man had been "less than honest."

That's as clear as mud. It doesn't even clarify whether or not an actual lie took place. If anything, it looks like she's not sure about that herself.
 DragonBits
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/2/2013 9:11:07 AM
dreamfire, there are those such as yourself that I never doubted were telling the truth. I MSG with a few profiles and people whom I have no doubt are honestly presenting themselves.

But I have only met 5 women from the Internet, including international countries, only 1 from PoF and that was after I was married so it was just as a friend. So only 4 as potential dates, I got married to one of them.

EDIT (I did go on a blind date sometime in early 2009, but it wasn't someone I picked myself, we went on 3 dates, I still see her since she is a friend of a good friend on mine. Sometimes we all go to dinner, she will likely remain single and dating until she gets tired of dating)

My profile was only visible for a week on PoF, eharmony was the only USA dating site I used and you can't scan for a profile there, I only contacted a few women I was really interested in dating, everyone responded. I have only gotten 1 non response, and it's understandable because I made a mistake about something I put in my MSG, and it wasn't about a date in any case, I was just chatting.

A few women I was emailing with sort of disappeared but I didn't feel we had a strong connection, and then again I also disappeared without any noticed when I got involved with someone.

So even with the complaint that not many respond I have no idea of how many rejections I would get if I contacted more women. In reality I have very little personal idea of what goes on with meets, strange people sending nekid pics, and every other thing people report on. I did date enough when I was younger before the Interent to run into plenty of both good and bad situations.

I don't think my own experience is typical so I just go by what others tell me and common sense does go a long way.
 bernie82
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/2/2013 9:31:36 AM
Quite a few men and women misrepresent their age on these sites. I've met women that tell me straight out when I meet them that they misrepresented their age. Most of the time their reason is that they're fit, eat healthy, live a healthy lifestyle and look much younger than their chronological years. They say that they believe most guys have an age range in mind and if someone doesn't fall into that specifc age range, they get passed by.
Misrepresenting ones age doesn't bother me but what does bother me is meeting women that have posted photos that may be as much as ten years old.
I've met women in their fifties that looked old enough to be my mother and I've met some women in their late sixties that still turn heads.
 c_deacon
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:04:55 AM
I remember long ago when I lied about being 21 when I was not to get into some night clubs and when I was dating some of my older sisters friends who were all a few years older than I was. I always seemed to look younger than my dates even when they were younger, so I was always older in my thought process to open up all the possibilities when dating or needing to accomplish some particular objective.

Once I hit 30+ it just seemed to slow down, and then once 40, most thought me in my 30's so that was good for me except I was not looking for relationships, since I was married, just like kind that I could do things with, enjoy adventures, and not have to be considered the "old man" in the group that I was sporting with, hiking with, running with.....and enjoying with.

Now, I find that far to much is placed on the age thing, and not enough on the overall compatibility and many open up the chances for others to consider them by lowering their age, and women do this far more then most men, and work very hard with make up, creams, hair dye, botox, on and on and on to be acceptable in a society that seems to relish youth but not maturity.......and then we flip our noses at those that try to maintain that.

I have always stated that as long as you are not young enough to be dating my son, or old enough to be hanging with my mother, you are potential material for a connection.....as long as we are attracted to each other, have that chemistry, and compatibility overall, and that has far less to do with an number on your birth certificate, and far more to do with how we relate to each other and our family, friends, colleagues, and the rest of those that surround us.

For my liking......I would prefer that they just eliminate the age category along with the body type category, and just required three or more recent full length pictures showing front, side, and back and let those viewing decide if they are interested or not!!

cd
 Whisky_River
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:18:02 AM

I make everything in my profile 100% accurate. There are no misrepresentations, so, I can go to an initial meeting with a very clear conscience about that

Yes...If you have got Nothing to Hide...you hide Nothing.

I detest people that "lie".....If you are feeling that you are "young looking" for your age.....let other people be the judge of that...in most cases....If one person said that...then it's true that "all" see you in the same light.
Just yesterday...someone guessed my age as waaay younger(a Man)....obvious trying to flatter me or he needed glasses....I am not delusional.
I look alright some days for my age......others I feel and look older....soooo?

Pet peeve of mine to see a profile with an obvious misrepresentation of their age.
Not even smart enough to post pics that are older to coincide with the age...they put down.
REALLY....takes the cake when I read how "honest" they are and they are tired of meeting women that "lie"...what a joke.
If everyone is lieing....maybe we would have a level playing field.....lol.
 *buzz*
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:26:47 AM

Age is just a number. Why are you worried about age?

Fleetwood Mac with their Little Lies ... doesn't leave any different taste in my mouth than just bitter one but hey, there is also a sobering thought of moving on.
Bottom line is that a relationship cannot be built or survive on lies, being it little lies. Why to complicate life with lies?! I have never seen or experienced lies enhancing one's life. But that's just me.
 tnt144
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/2/2013 10:54:22 AM

Please show me where OP stated this man has admitted to the lie (if it is a lie).

- You are right, after looking at her first post again, I misread it, or was thinking of another similar thread. I can be impulsive at times and just skim things, and sometimes my posts aren't accurate.
 bernie82
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/2/2013 1:52:16 PM
Why is it that so many woman are so honest about their ages and describe their body type as average when they're 20, 30 or more pounds overweight?
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/2/2013 1:56:00 PM

*buzz*
Bottom line is that a relationship cannot be built or survive on lies, being it little lies. Why to complicate life with lies?! I have never seen or experienced lies enhancing one's life. But that's just me.

Most people don't want the brutal honest truth. If she asked me,"does these Jeans make my But-t look fat"? I know better than to fall into that trap. So you tell a little white lie or redirect the question.

The thing to look for/at, is what is the motivation of the lie? Are they lying for their own personal gain, or to spare the others feelings?

Then there's the old joke. "How do you know when a Politician is lying? When their lips are moving"!

Sometimes I feel the same thing could be said for online dating.
 MsMicki
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:01:23 PM
I am truly baffled by the fact that obviously there are a lot of people that lie about their age!

I just don't get it........
 melodyof_k
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:07:55 PM
^^^undisclosed body type, is that a sin of omission???

Is smiling just to be polite a lie?

Is wearing makeup, covering the gray, a lie?

yadda yadda yadda...

yep..all lies same as age lying.
what about adding some more...
plastic surgery
false teeth
showing a photo in front of a beautiful home....as if it were your own..
what about fake nails.
or a man wearing lifts in his shoes.

when you meet irl...
do you ask right away..how old are you?
do your have hair implants?
do you have fake teeth?

just put up recent photos..
people can see how old you are.

now what matters more...
lies of omission or a lie of age?
lying by omission that he beat the shyt out of his ex wife...
or he doesnt own the boat he works on...but behaves as if it is his?
or that he says he is 50 when he is 52 or even 57?
and then tells the truth when you meet or on the phone.
but he sure isnt gonna tell ya that he is a thief is he?
(or she) until you notice little things missing from your home.
or what about the dui's?
why dont they have check boxes for everything?
do you think all would be honest?

dont suggest that no one here is lying on their profiles about things other than age.
age is the least of concerns.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >