Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Proteaus
Msg: 91
Does it matter if he lies about his agePage 4 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Looking at allot of women's profiles , you see the picture they have to get you to look at their profile then the rest of the pictures look ten years older . Seems allot of women aren't honest about their age or they had a very tough life. Because I will look at one that says she is 55 and looks more like 65 to me . Hell if I was on a date and the person I was with questioned my age , I have no problems pulling out some I.D.
 larissan04
Msg: 92
Does it matter if he lies about his age
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:08:42 PM
Trisha

I don't think age is insignificant. The incidence of age discrimination in the work place is astounding. It's common for people to be laid off when they start to approach retirement age. I've known people that were laid off in their 50s and were never able to find a job comparable to the one that they lost. In essence, their careers were over and they ended up working menial job that was far below their experience and credentials. They easily could have worked for another 10 to 15 years in their chosen field, but in our youth obssessed culture we place looks over experience and wisdom. Considering that age can have a huge impact in your life in this regard, why the hell is someone I hardly know obligated to tell me something as personal as their age? They don't know me? Why should I have to divulge my age to someone I don't know that well either? It's personal information that I should be able to share if and when I feel comfortable doing so. Of course, this isn't reality, and when you are on a dating site you have to put down your age. So, I do, but I don't like it. To me, if someone looks about the age they say they are, I don't really care if they come to me later and confess that they are a few years older. Honestly, who cares? As I said, I've seen wayyyyyyy to much age discrimination in my work life, so yeah, I don't think it's a big deal if someone is trying to protect him or herself in this regard. And I'd never....never ever ever tell someone at work my age. It's NONE of their business. I can pass for younger, so my coworkers are free to think that I am whatever age they choose. I've had people ask me, and I've had to come up with creative ways to avoid answering the question without coming across as rude...but honestly, I think it's RUDE for them to even think it's appropriate to ask!
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:57:29 PM
I will dump any woman on this site that lies about her age if we meet and I find out period. Don't contact me starting out with lies. As far as undisclosed body type. Well you answer the question. If your weight is within the definition of average(based on height) and you post average, then have others say you are not, what difference does it make?
I will tell you my weight and why put us in categories within a class, just ask us to put our weight. I happen to be 5'7 and 195 pounds. Can I stand to lose a few more to get athletic(which means muscle tone and ripped, not into sports)? yes.
But as far as telling a lie, I care not to have you even message me. What else are you lying about? I have my teeth. grey in my hair,healthy as a good horse, nothing out of place. Anything else just ask. Shy? who me lmao not at all. Raise your flags and shoot your guns, if you can't handle the truth I'm not the one. Just be who you are is all I ask.
So men and women alike should dump someone who lies about their age, weight is hard to say. You need a chart to determine body type and height for sure. And by the way I have a big bone structure. My wrist is just skin on bone basically.
As far as a woman/man disguising their looks it is a form of deception. Do I look like I am hiding anything in my pic? nope. To bad topless pics aren't allowed.

To much information but just making a point.
 DragonBits
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/4/2013 8:01:10 PM

The incidence of age discrimination in the work place is astounding. It's common for people to be laid off when they start to approach retirement age. I've known people that were laid off in their 50s and were never able to find a job comparable to the one that they lost. In essence, their careers were over and they ended up working menial job that was far below their experience and credentials.

Is it really age discrimination or more the fact that people that have worked for a long time at a company are always the highest paid. They get rid of high paid workers and hire lower paid.

It doesn't change the reality of it, but I would think this is more the reason for it.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/4/2013 8:19:43 PM
Do you know how many people on here are using pictures that were old 10 YEARS AGO??? Is that a misrepresentation too?

I had a friend who put her real age, but had an old & VERY photoshopped pic up...needless to say, her online experience was not so good...

We also have the "Myspace Angles" as well!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:42:23 PM
I have been on here for quite some time.
a while ago just for forums basically.
I also used the name of my business as my user name.
all that info to say...that in all these years I have seen peoples profiles with ages that go up....
but they have the same exact photo for years....over 5 year old photos or older.
is that as much or more misrepresentation of age?

some here spoke of liars...
and in another post I wrote about all kinds of lies.
can you trust anyone truely to be telling you the entire truth...even if they are?

what about height?
that is quite like age...it is true or it isnt.
how many men add an inch or two?
or more?
I prefer to meet a man who states a younger or older age (not too much)
than a man who lies about his height.
 DragonBits
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:32:08 AM

some here spoke of liars...
and in another post I wrote about all kinds of lies.
can you trust anyone truely to be telling you the entire truth...even if they are?

People would get bored and move on if you tried to tell the entire truth of one's life, it takes a long time.

I am surprised that many women meet 70-300 men, and a few guys do the same. Must be a whole lot of frogs out there.
 DragonBits
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:34:37 AM

Well you answer the question. If your weight is within the definition of average(based on height) and you post average, then have others say you are not, what difference does it make?

Average is a tricky question in a country where the average person is overweight.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 100
Posted: 3/5/2013 4:25:34 AM
waitingforyoutoo:

As far as a woman/man disguising their looks it is a form of deception. Do I look like I am hiding anything in my pic? nope.
... ... ... just making a point.

Um, to answer your question there...Yep, half your body is 'hiding'. One picture, and it's far from a full body shot.
Just making a point, by the way.

~~~
What scares me are people who are so far up high on their horse they claim they never tell a lie or deceive in any way.
Whoa.
That right there is already a lie!
 Casper66
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 5:13:06 AM
I've had this happen a few times, I'm honest about my age it's never bothered me, so I really didn't care they were older but it makes you wonder if they lie about that then they really aren't comfortable in their own skin and thats a problem. It also puts that thought into your mind that they already have lied so what will they lie about next, not a great beginning to dating/relationship. It also indicates a lack of respect for other people's preferences, if someone states they only want to date up to a certain age and you lie so you can contact them, you are putting your wants above their right to choose and telling them later is just a copout to try and cover your butt that you lied in the first place.
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 5:50:18 AM
Did I ever say I never told a lie? nope. In my younger days I use to do it alot, but with age comes wisdom and insight. Perhaps the reason one lies now is the fact that they are uncomfortable with whatever. Would I tell a lady she is fat and ugly? Of course not, I would say nothing at all unless it is positive.
You can speak without telling a lie.
As far as a photo, so be it, you will have to use your imagination until you decide I am worth meeting. We all look for certain things in a match, I am no different then you ladies. If you care to research my posting history you would find out. If you ask the ones I have dated here, they can tell you also. Distance is a factor,jumping right into bed is a factor,materialistic is a factor,as well as some other things. I am putting my relationship in the three things that can make or break it. If these three are not the same as mine it is over.
You can defend telling a lie, but it is still a lie.
 Gracizdad
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:58:40 PM
Thank you DrummingNut..... I too find it funny that the very people who claim to never lie or detest lying also misrepresent themselves by lying about their weight, posting pictures of only head shots or wearing tons of makeup or coloring their hair or wearing false eyelashes...the list can go on and on....
My point is everyone tries to put themselves in the best light!In fact In our society It`s normal to do that.

So to recap: its normal to fudge....a little....to fudge alot is misrepresentation and most EVERYONE fudges a little....
 venusenvy777
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:12:22 PM
It seems to be a pretty common thing Im discovering. I dont get shaving a couple of years off, whats the point? To come across as dishonest over something that doesnt even matter just seems silly and vain to me. Good screening tool though...
 zenpeacelove
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:39:35 PM
I really don't get the lying about one's age. I am honest and would like honesty in return. Age is such a basic thing and if you lie about this I think it would be easy to lie about other things. I would just keep that in mind when thinking about taking the next step.
 Paderic
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/5/2013 6:09:09 PM
So to recap: its normal to fudge....a little....to fudge alot is misrepresentation and most EVERYONE fudges a little....

Deliberately lying about one's age, which on POF requires entering an incorrect birth date, is not fudging. It's a blatant attempt to deceive and will eventually be discovered.

I have learned not to tell lies that will require me to remember who I have told which version, or that can be easily verified. The truth is much easier to remember and you don't get busted.
 Rythmn
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:23:31 PM
i think i am the only person amongst my friends, both male and female, who did not lie about her age. i did lie about the exact date as it is personal info and could lead to identity theft.

it annoyed the heck out of me. but, funniest thing is that my guy ended up being 6 years younger and all my lying female friends ended up with guys ten years older. guys tell me that even more than age, women "also" give really outdated pics and lie about weight.

even funnier is that i swore i would never date a separated man due to a married man who lied to me. so, guess who i ended up with? took him almost two years to finalize his divorce. but, i knew he lived alone, etc. gotta have some flexibility and some humor. only way to know is to meet them and greet them:) then if needed do a search. i had my guys driver's license and neighbor took his plates before i even got into his car!

ps if you tell the truth, chances are men/women won't put your age in their search if you are older. so, just do your own search, click on everyone and see who responds to your pic. don't even waste your time reading until you get a response! my guy found me on zoosk, looking at the section with new people. he never would have searched my age. he was dating women in their early 50's before me.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/9/2013 9:28:09 AM
Let me first state that I very rarely get asked out now because I state my true age. Last year when I was fourth-nine, I got far more responses.

I went out with a guy from POF last weekend. As soon as I meet him it was clear he lied about his height. Then he admitted he wasn’t the age he told me he was. Then it turned out he didn’t actually live in the area he said he did. I finally thought, “Stick a fork in me, I’m done” when he told me he had two children but then admitted he had three children.

My point, if someone is willing to lie about one thing, it seems they are willing to continue to lie about anything. Another poster wrote a liar takes away your freedom to choose what you want in your life. I’m sure there are lots of us who are now divorced because we were lied to and didn’t get the true story when we married our ex-spouses, so yes, a lie does matter.
 Gracizdad
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/9/2013 11:15:58 AM
What is interesting is that the very same people who claim to not lie and abhor people lying are the the ones who use makeup (lying about your looks) wear heels (lying about height) dye their hair (lying about hair color and possibly age (gray hair coverup)) etc...etc...
Now do we need to mention Facelifts, boob jobs, nose jobs or any other plastic surgery? Would these people who detest liars demand that all plastic surgery be disclosed?

Everyone fudges and people who dont are well...Liars
 Casper66
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:44:05 AM

Nice generalization about complete strangers you have never met.

Do I colour my hair, yes, do I wear makeup, yes, do I wear spandex hell no, these are not lies unless someone asks you and you LIE about it or you could just tell them it's none of their business. When you fill out the profile questions you make a decision to be truthful or to lie, some people will be honest and others will not be, thats life, but don't whine when you get caught and expect the person you lied to just forgive and forget, if you are not comfortable or happy about the real you, I don't want to date you.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/10/2013 6:12:05 AM
+1 Trisha. There is a huge difference in lying and make up. Was that person serious? I am 50, yes my gray hair is covered with blonde hair dye. Is that a lie? No since I openly share that fact. I dont wear any kind of foundation makeup, I cant stand the stuff on my face, but yes I use eye shadow, and mascara.. is that a lie, again NO, I think not. Some people like to try and justify their bad behaviors but use really stupid excuses.
 qdp65
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/10/2013 6:32:16 AM
Ha! Thank you! I don’t want to be too cynical but…this site does crack me up….often. I would leave..but it is like driving by a train wreck…you must…have to…cant help but look.
 Paderic
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:01:24 AM

I don't use makeup, wear heels (although every type of shoe has a heel of some sort), dye my hair, haven't had a facelift, boob job, nose job, or any other plastic surgery. Nor do I lie about my age.

People who lie and shrug it off by saying everyone does it are pathological.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:12:51 AM

Apologies in advance if I'm roadtripping...

I don't think so - doesn't that mean you're on a location-specific forum for someplace where you don't live? It's mostly North Americans who show up here, but I don't believe it's specifically a U.S.-Canadian forum. Just, Over 45.

I actually think that the OP's potential beau realised that he actually really liked her and didn't want it to develop without fessing up.

I think you're right. And I'm not at all sure if it should be viewed as the one-time thing it may well have been, or a warning that he lies in general, which it also may have been... this might be something where the people involved just have to stumble through without any real guidelines.

If I run across this - or perhaps I should say "when" as it seems to be common - my reaction will likely depend on whether or not I'm seeing anything else that makes me wonder about character.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:27:40 AM

I don't use makeup, wear heels (although every type of shoe has a heel of some sort), dye my hair, haven't had a facelift, boob job, nose job, or any other plastic surgery. Nor do I lie about my age.
your a man; unless u are a tranny i would not think so...I had lasik, was born blonde, now get color out of a bottle, use some makeup, rarely wear heels & when I do it is maybe 2 inches. I wear a good bra (underwire) to support my boobs so they feel good...If i had the $ down the line I would consider a facelift maybe...
I don't like online, the boxes we have to click on, the titles to ads, the narratives, the old pix, the no pix, the fake pix, bla bla bla...I have gone on real life dates lately...at least u know what u r getting IMO...
so when these men see me, they really don't know my exact data, they look...either they like or don't like, then they talk, either they like or don't like...I am going to be me, the me that I like, & if they don't like it, fine; if they do like it fine...

People who lie and shrug it off by saying everyone does it are pathological.
No one is objective about themself- i mean no one...

path·o·log·i·cal
[path-uh-loj-i-kuhl] Show IPA

adjective
of or pertaining to pathology.

caused by or involving disease; morbid.

caused by or evidencing a mentally disturbed condition: a pathological hoarder.

dealing with diseases: a pathological casebook.

let's see, I am 5ft 3 1/2 per my last medical exam, If I choose 5ft 3 I am pathological, if I choose 5ft 4 I am pathological
people who nitpick are pathological IMO- your eyes are hazel, no green..omg, u ate too much last nite, so now ur bmi says ur a few xtra lbs not average...
bla bla bla

There is so much freaking dysfunction in the world, I say if you find someone where you make eachother happy, have fun & scr#w everyone else
 Paderic
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:37:31 AM
your a man; unless u are a tranny i would not think so...

I was being sarcastic.

No one is objective about themself- i mean no one...

Stating your correct age doesn't require objectivity. It only requires honesty.

let's see, I am 5ft 3 1/2 per my last medical exam, If I choose 5ft 3 I am pathological, if I choose 5ft 4 I am pathological

Rounding to the nearest inch isn't lying. Rounding up 3-4 inches is lying.

It really isn't difficult. If you're not being truthful, you're lying.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >