Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vibrantshe
Msg: 121
Does it matter if he lies about his agePage 5 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
I am a perfect example of why people lie. Since I turned 50 in June, I hear crickets on this site and my in box is oh so empty, so I see why so many people feel it necessary to lie about their age to keep from becoming invisible.

Here is the difference as I see it. Men lie about their age to attract younger women and women lie about their age to attract men their own age.

I wonder what would happen if we all had to be totally honest about our age, height, weight, education, job, children and marital status. Oh and I almost forgot, recent pictures.
 spot4username
Msg: 123
Does it matter if he lies about his age
Posted: 3/10/2013 11:31:58 AM
It would matter to me. I'm not a fan of liars. Never have been.

When I had a "for dating" profile I listed my height and weight and of course my age is accurate. I earned all 46 (almost 47) years of my life. No questions there.

I realize that a lot of people at our age fudge on their age to get within certain parameters. What do they do every birthday? Delete and make a new profile? What happens if you actually get to the point of meeting a person and *gasp* liking them? Do you come clean at that point? How does that conversation work? I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole situation.
 larissan04
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/10/2013 2:48:16 PM
TrishaF2011~

"there is a huge difference between age discrimination in the work place and your accurate age being stated on a dating website. I understand that you feel age is a personal piece of information. Sadly, the majority of the people in this thread disagree with you, and do so with clear rationale. On a dating website, a persons age is basic information, just like stating where you live in terms of state or country. These things are basic. Personal information would be like asking for their drivers license number ( yup, saw a thread once where a chick honestly expected guys to give that to her so she could run a criminal check on them, smh) Your example of workplace discrimination is a poor one for this topic and it does not apply across the board. you are also misinterpreting personal information as basic information. If you feel the need to "hide" things about yourself that are basic, then you are then considered not trustworthy. I get that you do not feel that age is insignificant, the problem is that you also see lying about it to be insignificant and I would venture to say you feel doing so should also be inconsequential."

I acknowledged that on a dating site it was de rigueur to give one's age. My example of age discrimination illustrates that age is personal information that a person has a right to protect, imo. It was stated in a previous post that if someone lies about some thing as unimportant as their age, than they will lie about other things. That is why I brought up age discrimination as an example, because age isn't unimportant, age isn't inconsequential - age matters. I also noted that disclosing my age to people I do not know so indiscriminately is an uncomfortable compromise too me. I do realize that most people on this site also disagree with me, but I don't base my opinions or principles upon the popularity or approval of others. In addition, while it is most likely that a person met on a dating website will not cross your path professionally, there is a chance that the person might cross your path professionally. In fact, this has happened to me in the past. While age may not matter much in some professions, as I also stated previously, I worked in an industry where NO ONE EVER divulged their real age because it could literally RUIN your career if it was discovered that you were "too old." I personally knew people that lost work because of their age. Based upon the fact that age is significant to some people - a point that I proved - I certainly would not hold it against them if they did not tell me their correct age. I do not feel it is my business until someone is a significant part of my life.
 mark777771
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 6:54:44 PM
people who lie about their age lie about other things, just a fact
 DenverRic
Msg: 127
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:21:51 PM
YES, it matters, it should matter alot... once a liar always a liar.
 breathless42
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:05:35 AM
Before making a character judgement,check your age requirements. He may have changed his age to fall within your requirements to message you. If its for another reason,I'm not so sure.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 130
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:41:01 AM
Before making a character judgement,check your age requirements. He may have changed his age to fall within your requirements to message you. If its for another reason,I'm not so sure.

People put the age requirement on their profile because that is who they want to hear from. Lying about your age to contact someone who doesn’t want to hear from you is arrogant, egoistical and rude.
 Miss W
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:36:08 AM
Although it is tempting to do so, because some people can't get past the number, yes, it is still a lie. I understand WHY some people do it, because some can't get past the number.

For example, I have a very attractive sister who is in her late 60's and is truthful about her age and had no contacts on another dating site. For this reason, I prefer real life. Just my 2 cents.
 spot4username
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:41:08 AM

He may have changed his age to fall within your requirements to message you. If its for another reason,I'm not so sure.

After 2 weeks your age here is locked. In other words, you can't change your age to match people's parameters. If he has been here more than 2 weeks and his age is a lie - he knows he lied. Simple.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 133
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:02:09 AM
My experience with people who lie about one thing is
they lie about other things.

It's too bad that people get locked out of searches because
they're too old or too young. I don't understand why anyone
would want to be included in something that has already
excluded you anyways.

I won't even respond to a profile that is within my age
parameters if I'm excluded from his.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:48:12 AM

he has been less then honest

Starting off a brand new relationship with a lie just seems like a great idea doesn't it?
 lowmiles2
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/13/2013 9:31:38 AM
Why should it matter, as far as I can tell, more women lie about their age than men. She said she was 52 and later you find out she's 62. She says everybody lies about their age on these sites. Not me.
 venusenvy777
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/14/2013 4:38:34 PM
UH ya! It does! If hes lying about something so trivial what else is he lying about? Red flag there for sure...
 Sunfire1959
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:54:09 PM
I went out for the meet and greet with a guy and within minutes he told me his real age, which was six years older than the age he had on his profile. He said the reason he had given for the other age was that being 60 or older was the kiss of death on here and he felt that his options were limited because of his age. He did ask me if I would have even replied to his message if I had known he was 65 years old. Truth be known that was outside the age range I was looking for. However, when I met him-- I would not have known by looking at him that he was that age.

We didn't end up being compatible, but it had nothing to do with his lying about his age. It did have something to do with the fact that we were 12 years apart in age and he was OLD in his views and in other ways.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:02:09 PM
OP, call it a day. Lying is a poor way to start a relationship but an excellent way to end one.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 141
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:02:24 PM
OP, call it a day. Lying is a poor way to start a relationship but an excellent way to end one.
 LdyJay
Msg: 142
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:03:54 AM
Wouldn't matter as long as he would be honest about it once we meet. Age can put people off sometimes. I prefer to wait and see in person, before judging if he's too young or old for me to be interested. There would be more factors to weigh, other than age. Maybe he's young for his age. Maybe he's old for his age. No way to know until in person.

In that he let you know in his last message that he had been less than honest, I'd say he was being belatedly honest.
I certainly would not assume that he could not be trusted!
 stargirl59
Msg: 144
Posted: 3/24/2013 9:13:11 AM
Honest is important in a relationship. If he is dishonest from the start, it is not a good foundation to start a relationship on. There is a reason to lie about ones age; I don't know it but it's silly to be dishonest about your age.
 lovecuresall
Msg: 145
Posted: 3/25/2013 10:35:36 AM
When I first started looking at dating sites. I saw someone on another site and confronted his truthfulness about why his age was different on different sites. He got angry and fussed at me because at the time I didn't have a photo (I was very leery in the beginning about posting a photo of me for safety issues). He was really harsh.

Well,we met again on POF and he didn't know it was me was very interested in my photo. I politely told him who I was and that we had already meet unsuccessfully via online. He tried to blame me for being rude since I'd asked his difference of ages on the different profiles. He said he thought we could get pass that. (pleeeeeeeeeeease)

I turned him down 'sweetly'.....and figured he must've been insecure in his age and ill tempered also. I think I saved myself alot of time and grief in that decision. Sometimes they show their true colors and stripes in the beginning. What a blessing to save me grief! LOL
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 146
Posted: 3/25/2013 10:22:07 PM
gmamarilu

His name is not John by any chance??? I know a guy who is 44 and put up a profile saying he is 35 on another site but was seeing women older than 55. Go figure.....
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 148
Posted: 3/27/2013 1:10:40 PM

christope1949
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU LOOK YEARS YOUNGER THAN YOUR AGE ,BUT WHEN YOU PUT YOUR REAL AGE WOMEN JUST PASS BY BECAUSE THEY THINK YOUR LIEING

Do you need a new Battery in your Hearing Aid? Typing with the CAP LOCK on is the same as shouting.
 Freudian
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 1:33:39 PM

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU LOOK YEARS YOUNGER THAN YOUR AGE ,BUT WHEN YOU PUT YOUR REAL AGE WOMEN JUST PASS BY BECAUSE THEY THINK YOUR LIEING

Oh yes, this happens to me all the time.
 afitdancer
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/27/2013 1:40:56 PM
Call it a day. If he lies about that, what else is he lying about. Move on.
 plclm
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2013 9:43:06 PM
Yes, it matters. What would he have to loose by telling the truth about his age. I say call it a day... Move on.
 louise1203
Msg: 152
Posted: 3/28/2013 10:09:05 PM
Yes it does. I married a man I met on a singles site, we flew back and forth from WA. to Los Angeles, we finally married after 6 months. I met his family etc. I started finding out lies, the one that started me checking him out was he lied about his age by 2 years (big deal) except I put him on my health insurance with the age he first told me. Then I started some checking, he was driving with an suspended license for failing to appear for a speeding ticket. The story is way to long to write about it. When we met his wife had passed away one year before, according to his Mom he just didn't give a d--- after that. I found out he not only owed about $2,000 that he told me about but he actually owned over $175,000, not made even a car payment for over a year or anything else for over a year, had 2 closed back accounts for overdrafts. Needless to say I filed for divorce right way as you cannot start a relationship/marriage on lies. After talking to a few attorneys I could have gotten an annulment based on fraud, but there was too much money involved including not paying taxes and was advised to get a regular divorce. From the time we got married to the time I filed was about 30 days. Not everyone that lies was as bad as mine but go by your gut feeling and DON'T make excuses for it, just look deeper. He may be OK but how can you trust anything else he says. Just be careful as I have met real nice guys but have also met my share of liars to put it bluntly.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >