Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with simplistic messages...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brinaalina
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Dealing with simplistic messages...Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I hate messages like that and I get them ALL the time.
I want to punch the sender in the face.
If the conversation won't go further than that, then can you even imagine how they must be to talk to in real life??
Probably like talking to a wall.

Next!
Don't waste your time with someone who can't even attempt to start a conversation.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 13
Dealing with simplistic messages...
Posted: 3/2/2013 3:12:41 PM

I got a message the other day that simply said "Hey!" At first, I was going to criticize her poor vocabulary, but then I gave in and responded "Hey!" back.

And then it progressed into "How are you?"

What am I supposed to do with a conversation like this? How can it go to the next level?

And I have been getting a lot of messages from women lately, I'm starting to wonder if there has been some hacking going on...

She's a poor communicator...Unless you're interested in being a dentist who pulls teeth, I'd move on...
 jeni366
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:12:20 AM
My impression is that people treat messaging as a form of chatting.

They start with "hi", then reply with:
how are you
what are you doing today/how's your day
what do you do for fun/what do you like to do
etc

Every reply gets you a new chat-like response. If you want something more then you'll have to step up to bat and write something meaningful. If they don't reply in kind it's just not in them to do so. That's when you move on.
 baronobeefdip2
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/3/2013 1:24:15 PM
Women as confusing as they are like to throw "tests" at us in the form of the usual tease (or making us frustrated with vague, broad, ambiguous and sometimes cryptic messages). These tests are there to confirm (or debunk) your dedication. The best way to put up with these is to ask her to be more specific but casually for instance here is one conversation that I had.

me: "how has your day been going"
her: "it's been great"
me: "what made it so great? did something awesome and usual happen today"
her: "yes i just saw [insert content here]"

See what I did, I did what is known as thread amplifying (a neologism if you will) It simply means that I took a small response and got her to open up a little more by asker to be more specific but in a very casual way (with some enthusiasm and maybe with a comical expression here and there). by doing this you get to relate to her things that made your day exciting too. maybe change the subject to a new conversation by using one of the words she used in her last sentence as a staple or perhaps a potential topic for a different conversation that you both may connect with. On the other hand though if she refuses to open up and tell you anything (since it's online) you are either being teased for self-amusement, for some reason some girls get a kick out of wasting our times, and you may have to consider the possibility that are are being catfish'd. Hoep this helps
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with simplistic messages...