Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who speaks another language?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Would you date someone who speaks another language?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Only in America would someone say 'no'.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 24
Would you date someone who speaks another language?
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:31:39 AM
No, I wouldn't bother. Communication is one of the main ways I become attracted to a person. Physical starts the engine going, but communication is the gas. Without it, I'm going to lose interest. I've been physically attracted to plenty of men that didn't speak English, but sex with them has remained in the realm of fantasy. I don't see any reason to have sex with a guy I'd have no intention of marrying. That's what masturbation is for. *shrug*
 prime ribb
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:39:46 AM

No, I wouldn't bother. Communication is one of the main ways I become attracted to a person. Physical starts the engine going, but communication is the gas. Without it, I'm going to lose interest. I've been physically attracted to plenty of men that didn't speak English, but sex with them has remained in the realm of fantasy. I don't see any reason to have sex with a guy I'd have no intention of marrying. That's what masturbation is for. *shrug*

Plus it's a lot harder without subtitles..lol.
 Purple_wings
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:59:54 AM
lol..watch miss Swan clip..its funny she brought her own translator on her date..its the show from Mad T.V..funny!!
 msright78
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/5/2013 11:13:21 AM
OMG she brought along a translator on the date?

WOW

If english wasn't my first language( in my case it's my second), I would take the time to actually learn english.

Some ppl, who have lived in the western country for over a decade still refuse to learn to speak english. I don't understand that at all.

I would never date someone who didn't speak english at all. I mean, I converse only in english and I talk alot so that wouldn't last very long with me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/5/2013 11:19:08 AM

..its funny she brought her own translator on her date...

That would concern me. Some things don't translate well. Telling something half joking could be translated to be really offensive. I would be concerned about what a translator would be saying in a foreign language. If I was to tell the girl she has beautiful eyes and a nice smile, the translator might be a jokester or doesn't think we're a good match and tell her: "The guy said your a fat cow with a monkey face." I think I'll stick to looking for someone who speaks the same language-even though sometimes women speak is like a foreign language.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/5/2013 12:22:21 PM

My question for you all is would you date someone who speaks another language and doesn't know English?
Yes, I would providing they speak a language I have some workable conversational knowledge in. ALthough I was born in the USA,English is not my 1st language. I might not be on this earth if people didn't date others who didn't have English as a 1st language. I speak Tmajeq, Arabic and Spanish in addition to English rather fluently. I have a workable conversation knowledge of French, Haitian Creole/Patios and Seminole and hopefully enough Portuguese to get me by when I go to Brazil this spring. I can understand some Italian and know a lot of Italian vulgarities, the rest I piece together from my knowledge of Latin along with Spanish. I know a few key phrases in Thai. I went to Thailand for about 3 months and had a tough time when not around Thais who spoke some English or other English or French speakers. I found the more educated Thai women to be multi-linguistic. I visited a couple of Muay Thai training camps where English was fairly understood.

Have you been attracted to someone who's a non-English speaker?

Of course, who is attracted to someone due to their language without their appearance 1st? Using language as a factor for physical attraction is as foolish as using "race". My mother spoke Spanish, Seminole and English and I am so glad she found a way to communicate with my father who spoke so little English. They found a way....love is a mysterious and miraculous thing.
 prime ribb
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/5/2013 3:40:51 PM
@Msright78 yep she did. I had a good time, despite the fact I couldn't speak her language. She was visiting America from Poland. I understood her body language and her facial expressions. For those that were wondering, it was physical :)
 ActualizedExplorer
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:38:59 AM
Yeah... if there is not a bit of communication between the two of you, and you just met this person, there would be nothing more than physical attraction. That said, physical attraction can lead to something further down the road.

If they speak absolutely none of the languages I speak, then I would say that my priority with this person is not to date. I might help them with their English, I might be their friend. They might be good to look at, but I don't think I will date them. Maybe during my time with them, I get to see other parts of them, such as how they are polite, or is very considerate, and that would attract me to consider dating them. But not right off the bat.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:47:30 AM

For those that were wondering, it was physical :)

Yeah, moaning is a pretty universal language..
 vestaceres
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:36:51 AM
I've primarily dated people whose second language is English, and they spoke it, fairly well. I speak a second language: though I read well in it and still stumble while conversing in it, I have had some interesting broken conversations mixing languages to fill in for things I didn't understand, and the other converser understood well. On the other hand, this method of compensating wasn't allowing me to converse in the language enough to stop relying on my primary language to fill in the where I wasn't sure. Nowadays I have relied less on reverting to English when speaking in the other language and so my speaking power in that language is increasing.

The drawback of this is that prospective dates automatically expect me to teach them to become conversant in the language. They're not so much interested in me, but interested in the way in which I communicate that they believe would benefit them. This is where it can become a little tricky in dating. As I have exampled in the aforementioned paragraph, the more a person speaks among people with their shared languages, the more their speaking power increases, granted. This is why there are immersion programs.

However, the last thing I wants to become is my dates' teacher -primarily - shaping their speaking power, so they can date the people they really want. If they wanted my teaching services, I would have been less offended if they were willing to pay me for lessons, but most expect me to work on a charity basis - hahaha.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:25:08 AM

For those that were wondering, it was physical :)

That statement seems rather crass in lieu of the fact that this is not a H.S. locker room nor frat boy meeting.
 sunsunsunandmoresun
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:36:52 AM
Been der done dat - no thanks !

Forget about sense of humour which, for me , is a huge loss of ammo . Delivery when speaking sloooooooooowly doesn't make for good jokes, quips, sarcasm, etc.
 prime ribb
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/6/2013 10:33:31 AM
@Solomonlike, you're right where not in a locker room or a frat boy function, but I figured seeing as most of here are adults, I should just cut to the chase and put it right out there.

The woman I met was only in America for a short time. She liked me off the bat the first time we met and she asked for my number and we went on one date. I wish she stuck around America a lot longer, but it was a fun time!
 Solomonlike
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:20:36 PM
you're right where not in a locker room or a frat boy function, but I figured seeing as most of here are adults,
By that remark the only distinction you make between those 2 is chronology. Adulthood really should have to do more than simple chronology. Regardless, there is campy/crass , then there is class, the statement reflects the former and is void of the later.

I should just cut to the chase and put it right out there.

What chase? Who asked? Who insinuated they might like to know? The thread as you well know is about "would someone date someone who speaks another language"? Although the wording of the question reflects a lack of command of the English language, it is nonetheless implied that you intended to discuss whether someone who has English as a primary language would date someone who does not speak it at all or very well. The fact that you went from that to basically saying "I had sex with someone who didn't speak English" is hilariously crass! It's like being in a social setting of adults discussing dating issues such as long distance dating and saying...'well, I wouldn't really date 1 but I went out on 1 date with someone who lived a long distance away....if ya want to know I still hit it'. It is a different thread you can start : Would You Hit it?....or Hey Everybody, I Got Me Some In this particular setting of subject matter the statement in question is rather immature,foolish and crass.

Tommy on the old Martin Lawrence show- "I got dem draws, dawg"! Although still, campy and crass the context and setting was much more appropriate and relevant.
 brinaalina
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:24:49 PM
I would never deal with a translator on a date haha. That's really a hassle.
And no, I wouldn't date someone who does not speak English. I don't think I've been attracted to someone online that didn't speak English Either.
Although there are a lot of gorgeous boys in Italy who don't speak a lick of English but somehow are still very charming? How do they do that? Lol.
How would we even communicate? Reading body language and gestures only gets you so far
I speak a bit of French and a understand some Italian, but I am by no means fluent.
So no.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/6/2013 2:19:37 PM
How cute was the translator?
Maybe you should have flirted with her.
:-P
 prime ribb
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/6/2013 2:45:23 PM

By that remark the only distinction you make between those 2 is chronology. Adulthood really should have to do more than simple chronology. Regardless, there is campy/crass , then there is class, the statement reflects the former and is void of the later.

Oh...kay! You have a way of making a mountain out of mole hill. You said this isn't a "locker room" or frat boy place (paraphrasing) and I agreed with you. I take it you objected to the way I told the story. BTW, are you in an English Professor?

ME:I should just cut to the chase and put it right out there.

What chase? Who asked? Who insinuated they might like to know? The thread as you well know is about "would someone date someone who speaks another language"? Although the wording of the question reflects a lack of command of the English language, it is nonetheless implied that you intended to discuss whether someone who has English as a primary language would date someone who does not speak it at all or very well. The fact that you went from that to basically saying "I had sex with someone who didn't speak English" is hilariously crass! It's like being in a social setting of adults discussing dating issues such as long distance dating and saying...'well, I wouldn't really date 1 but I went out on 1 date with someone who lived a long distance away....if ya want to know I still hit it'. It is a different thread you can start : Would You Hit it?....or Hey Everybody, I Got Me Some In this particular setting of subject matter the statement in question is rather immature,foolish and crass.

My bad, I thought this was a message board not a term paper for English Class. My thread and question was simple and to the point. It wasn't complex and there's really no need to overanalyze what phrase or what tense it should be or how it should be phrased. I brought up a topic and shared an anecdote relating to said topic. Kind of like how Jerry Seinfeld or Chris Rock would bring up a subject and tell a personal story relating to aforementioned subject, but I digress. I had no idea that certain things were off-limits around here. I will watch my step from now on (whoops! I ended a sentence with a preposition...lol).
 sunsunsunandmoresun
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:10:20 PM
Regardless, there is campy/crass , then there is class, the statement reflects the former and is void of the later.

1. Latter is spelled with 2 "t's "
2. Given the choice between hanging with someone crass who makes me laugh often or a mature bore who clearly needs to have a giant stick removed from his posterior - I would choose the LATTER every time !
 Solomonlike
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:37:37 PM
My thread and question was simple and to the point

Yes, let's stay on topic.
I had no idea that certain things were off-limits around here

Is that the point?

Latter is spelled with 2 "t's

Point! I laughed at myself when I caught it....too late. Typo but still funny as heck to get the egg.

Given the choice between hanging with someone crass who makes me laugh often or a mature

Cool, we hang out with whomever we wish. I prefer the company of women but hey, to each his or her own.
 prime ribb
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:27:07 PM

2. Given the choice between hanging with someone crass who makes me laugh often or a mature bore who clearly needs to have a giant stick removed from his posterior - I would choose the LATTER every time !

Amen!
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:06:36 PM

OMG she brought along a translator on the date?

It would have been fun to have been the translator on that date.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:54:09 AM
^^^You mean stay all the way to the end..Sure it would have been fun.
 greatblah
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:13:20 AM
Language doesn't matter, cause I simply don't understand women, but I know what to do!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who speaks another language?