Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dancing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mokiecici
Msg: 76
DancingPage 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
HI there HOG

I will say I'm new to POF, less than 2 weeks

I noticed that if a man can dance, standing up/vertical... he has rhythm while being horizontal...
does he know he has hips. This is not a come on, just an observation.

Good luck keep up the Salsa club visits
 Hogtownboy
Msg: 77
Dancing
Posted: 3/16/2013 9:07:42 PM
[I noticed that if a man can dance, standing up/vertical... he has rhythm while being horizontal...
does he know he has hips. This is not a come on, just an observation.]

I know the reason, it is the same answer as too why women date drummers.
old joke: What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?; Homeless

But my early line was if we could dance we would not need POF, If this prereq. then as this discussion become circular maybe I should have asked would you remove the interest to get a wider response.
Like most of the forums it is a bit like the old game of broken telephone.
 jaqi
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:26:14 AM
hey guys we're talking partner dancing here not dancing round your handbag!

I have a friend who I met on a meeting site similar to this ... in fact it could have been here anyway he had dancing listed as an interest and we got talking. We met up, purely as friends, to go along to a dance venue I hadn't been to before and he told me that an ex girlfriend of his had badgered him constantly to get dancing with her... so in the end after running out of excuses as to why he couldn't go, he eventually gave in and went. He swore he had two left feet but after the first night he was bitten, even though his rythm wasn't great and he was struggling a little but he enjoyed the music and the fun of the evening so much that he started going twice a week, then three times a week and then going to freestyles at the weekend.

He obviously wasn't still with his girlfriend when we became friends but he went on to meet a lovely lady and I had the real pleasure to attend their wedding a year or so ago. Lovely couple and he eventually became a real lovely dancer too! Now they dance together and help to run a venue with a couple of other people.

So just because you think you can't dance doesn't mean necessarily that you can't learn and end up with a fabulous new interest and a whole new social life.
 Strings6
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 7:22:04 AM
Mjinict, why should I learn to do something I don't like and am no good at...I've been playing Guitar for 40 years...should I put in my profile that any woman I respond to must play as well and should rush out and buy a Guitar and practice prior to our first meeting so she can impress me ? how well do you think that would work for me ?

I remember back in my band days I was expected to entertain the crowd with stupid Guitar god moves and foolish facials expressions, i refused and was usually ask to leave.I left gladly, i was there to play music with some dignity for people who wanted to hear music not to make a clown and spectacle out of myself for other people's amusement.

I disagree about nobody noticing a bad dancer, i have heard people ridicule them many times behind their backs in Bars and dance halls and have no desire to be the object of such ridicule when with a little effort they could find something else to ridicule me about. I have nothing against dancing or dancers....its just not for me
 Freudian
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 7:38:19 AM
You're dead right about the ridicule. See that stuff all the time. They do that to me at rock n roll bars; I can't stand out there and wiggle worth a darn, and like you, I don't like that much.

To get the experience that most folk are describing here, you have to find a place that has real partner dancing. In AZ, it's either ballroom or country and western. Ballroom is pretty rare, Country and Western is common. When you try that particular venue, things change. There's much less ridicule for some odd reason, and the people that do are the folks that are just looking for someone to belittle.

Of course, if you really don't like it, don't do it. For me, it was actually finding out that doing it with a woman in my arms was really, really fun (odd how that sentence has multiple meanings). I am NOT a fan of rock and roll bars.
 Paderic
Msg: 81
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 8:31:22 AM
I spend very little time in bars or clubs at this point in my life. Couple that with the fact that very few bars around here even have dance floors anymore.
 LdyJay
Msg: 82
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 9:14:35 AM
@OP
Actually I did read your OP. Sorry if you thought my comment was off topic! I guess you only wanted to hear from women who do list it as a requirement. Again, sorry!
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 9:24:13 AM
If you are overlooking profiles that have it listed as an interest, I think you are missing out. It is just one interest. Not every interest has to match.
Now, if she has it written in her about me that you must know how to dance, then click next.

Edited to add: Many men for a first date will say something about a glass of wine, I don't drink wine, it gives me a head ache instantly. I can easily let them know that and drink what I prefer.
 mjinict
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 10:46:45 AM
Strings...I get that most musicians do NOT dance, for whatever reason. I guess they usually don't need to to 'get' a woman. Just offering a little advice for those open minded common folk wondering how they can find ways to attract a woman.

I do agree that the 2 steppin' crowd are less critical of others and it can be LOTS of fun. Probably more for the mature dancer than wobbling around in a rock bar.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 11:59:00 AM
My gal and I go dancing at least once a week. She's a former ballerina and I am 'so so'. We usually plan to go around the dance floor a few times but often end up dancing for 4 hours.

Find an entry dance group in your city. You can be an uncoordinated newbie and have tons of fun. These are not clubs or bars...just a mixture of adults bopping to some style of music. 25% know a dance style and the rest of us just do 'whatever'.

Anyways, lots of singles...mostly in shape....no pressure to be able to dance. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing but it's just fun.
 Hogtownboy
Msg: 86
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:15:31 PM
I agree with Freudian about the riducle.

Seinfeld built an entire episode around Elaine terrible dancing
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:22:50 PM
Ok, if you dance like Elaine, stay in your chair. If you sit and ridicule others dancing, better stay in your chair. What goes around comes around. :-)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:26:19 PM
^^^^
Meanwhile in the real world not based on TV shows, women like men who are fun and have confidence. 12 year old boys might care what they look like on the dance floor, but hopefully by 18 we got over the self-absorbed silliness. I have fun with my girlfriend and the rest of the world be damned.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 89
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 1:09:16 PM

I noticed that if a man can dance, standing up/vertical... he has rhythm while being horizontal...
does he know he has hips. This is not a come on, just an observation.
I have found women who are good dancers are less likely to be horizontally challenged.
 Strings6
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:21:13 PM
Sciencetreker...so now we are making judgments about people's level of maturity and character because they don't dance...if that is the "real" world no wonder it is in such a mess.
 QT3.18
Msg: 91
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:36:53 PM
As someone who has danced, and has taught a few dance classes, it is exceedingly rare to find someone who actually cannot be taught to dance. There has only been one student in my years of dancing, that I have seen that could not be taught.

If you can keep a beat, you can be taught to dance. If you have the desire to learn to dance, take a class and go with it. At the very least, it will be good for a laugh. For those who say that dancing is not a good form of exercise, I can't disagree more. There were classes that we were literally dancing in pools of our own sweat, and many times where I had to phone my son from my car in my driveway after a class to help me out of my car and into the house. haha. You can choose the intensity of your participation. Dancing is probably one of the most enjoyable ways to exercise and there are so many genres to chose from (I did 2 and tried a third for fun). I am currently on a "hiatus" now due to a minor but persistent dance injury, but when it is healed, I will be going back to it and will be a dance student until I am in my grave.
 activemelaney
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:55:55 PM
Qt.3...all excellent points. . What type of grown man is so unfit and inept that he can't move his feet. I suppose there are some with mobility issues but even those in wheelchairs can do a spin on the dance floor. There's something sexy about a man who embraces life with a proactive positive approach. If he can't dance, he'll figure it out.
 Madailein
Msg: 93
Dancing
Posted: 3/17/2013 8:05:54 PM

If there is attraction it does matter whether you can dance or not, …
that means you are touching her she is touching you, …

I cannot fathom dancing as a criteria for dating someone.
Most could care less if their romantic interest can dance. It’s not a science; anyone can do it to varying degrees.

Slow dancing; Pressing our bodies together, inhaling one another’s scent and more is just about the most sensual thing one can do in public.
That has more to do with romance than it does “dancing”.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 9:43:45 AM

I cannot fathom dancing as a criteria for dating someone.

It happens more often that you would think.
Maybe not so much as a criteria, but if someone doesn't have any interest in dancing, not even learning how to, it will create an issue to the other person who enjoy dancing.
I am speaking from experience.
 victorianist
Msg: 95
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 11:23:38 AM
I expect being unable to dance isn't as much a negative feature as being able to dance is a positive feature.
 Wayne1620
Msg: 96
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 12:57:14 PM
You hit the nail on the head beechbabie. But I have to admit, I love dancing all night long regardless if I get lucky or not. I have danced with very beautiful women who couldn't dance at all and it turned me completely off. Go figure. I consider myself a "tempo" dancer. Frame up and feel the music. I recommend dancing lessons to both male and female. In the long run all that matters is that you have fun...smile and maybe a new friend. Some say sex is a great stress reliever. lol Try dancing for about 4 straight hours and your mostly likely done for the night. Have a good one.
 Proteaus
Msg: 97
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 3:50:16 PM
I remember when techno started , it was great . Throw a box of baby powder on the dance floor and start the slippin and slidin . Looking back I think we looked like a bunch of monkeys jumping around , loved it .
 activemelaney
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:18:20 PM
Wayne, women who can't dance? You are the male and are suppose to make her glide across the dance floor. My father could take me or any of my friends and turn them into a swan by the time the music stopped. Any woman can dance if the man correctly leads with firm authority. This is why dancing is so sensuous. The man is in control. All pretence of gender sameness is gone and we are dependent on you. This is one reason many women like dancing. Male/female roles are distinct. It's so romantic.
 mjinict
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:36:10 PM
^^^^So true. And Zuglo, if you have no interest it may be an indicator that you don't want to step out of your comfort zone to please your woman. The fact that you won't suck it up and do something that won't hurt you a bit and may even enjoy, speaks volumes.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:43:01 PM
you don't want to step out of your comfort zone to please your woman. The fact that you won't suck it up and do something that won't hurt you a bit and may even enjoy, speaks volumes.

This sounds like what men say to women ,... right before he shoves something up her bum

Not sure I'd want to go dancing with you mjinict..!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dancing