Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dancing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mjinict
Msg: 101
view profile
History
DancingPage 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
...I bet I could get you on the dance floor, rancher.
 Funlinedancer
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 10:06:22 PM
Freudian,
I enjoyed reading your story. Line dancing is a great way to stay in shape mentally and physically. Most dancers of any type are fun to be around and many take their dancing very serious...lol, some are totally anal about their dancing and pretty territorial too. All in all its a great place to meet new friends. All the line dancers I know love watching the men dance...it adds a certain balance to the room. I teach and still get excited when men sign up to take a class.
 Funlinedancer
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 10:09:37 PM
Wayne 1620,
I totally agree with you. I'm hooked on the energy from dancing. Once you master a dance you get such a great sense of accomplishment...a rush. Dancing does improve ones stamina.....in every area too.
 Freudian
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/19/2013 10:25:41 PM

Dancing does improve ones stamina.....in every area too.

Wait ... what? It improves WOMEN's stamina too. Crap, I'll never catch up now.

Gotta find a woman that doesn't dance. Gotta find a woman that doesn't dance.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:40:02 AM

And Zuglo, if you have no interest it may be an indicator that you don't want to step out of your comfort zone to please your woman. The fact that you won't suck it up and do something that won't hurt you a bit and may even enjoy, speaks volumes.

I really would like to hear your explanation on that. Speaks volumes??
I know not liking/wanting to learn to dance hurting my chances.
But to label me as a terrible person, well that speaks volumes.
May even enjoy? Yeah because at 47 years old I still haven't tried, so I don't know what I am talking about.
Suck it up??
I really don't think I should have to do something I don't like, and to try to make me do something I don't like, well again that speaks volumes too!!
Yeah I am pissed a little..
I would go to the opera, see a movie,play that she likes, willing to step out of my comfort zone in many way.
 Paderic
Msg: 106
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 6:29:26 AM

And Zuglo, if you have no interest it may be an indicator that you don't want to step out of your comfort zone to please your woman. The fact that you won't suck it up and do something that won't hurt you a bit and may even enjoy, speaks volumes.

A lot of women seem to have this attitude. If a guy doesn't like dancing, they will twist his arm to get him on the dance floor. I always wonder how it would go if the guy wanted them to take up something they don't like, say golf or tennis.
 FletisHumplebacker
Msg: 107
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 6:40:41 AM

If men understood how much more easily knowing how to dance would get women into bed, they'd all be Fred Astaires!!! LMAO!!!
It might be hard to understand but not every guy is a horndog trying to run up the number count on sexual conquests.
 wheatstem
Msg: 108
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:02:15 AM
I love to dance, have all my life, country, ballroom, rock and roll. To me a good dancer is a male that can lead firmly allowing the lady to follow effortlessly. I believe that gliding on the dance floor in a man's arms can be as good as ***!

Wheat
 mjinict
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:16:25 AM
Not wanting to at least try to dance means you are rigid and uncompromising in your thinking. I would gladly get out of my comfort zone and get on the golf course, fly RC airplanes, etc. As long as it's not dangerous, and time allows, why not? It's not like we're too busy raising kids anymore.

I would agree that a hard core dancer is probably not well suited to the casual, once in a while type.
 Paderic
Msg: 110
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:13:58 AM

Not wanting to at least try to dance means you are rigid and uncompromising in your thinking.

Some people who don't like dancing have tried it and simply do not enjoy it. To stereotype them as rigid and uncompromising is stupid.
 mjinict
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:19:32 AM
...Those are the people who take themselves a little too seriously. As I said, I would do something I don't derive much enjoyment from- occasionally, if it makes my SO happy. Isn't that what a successful relationship is all about, thinking and doing for each other? Have we really lost sight of what it takes? If you care about the other, isn't it fun just being together?
 Miss W
Msg: 112
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:21:34 AM
I haven't gone through most of this thread but I find this to be great advice as it certainly helps.

<div class="quote">When my sons were still in their teens, I told them there were two things that would do the most to improve their chances with girls.

1. Become a good dancer.
2. Become a good cook.
My nephew and his wife (mostly the wife) make their 12 year old go to cotillion, which I think is great because good manners and social graces are going the way of the Dodo. If you don't like to dance...then don't, it is that simple...
 Zuglo65
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:23:47 PM
Some people who don't like dancing have tried it and simply do not enjoy it. To stereotype them as rigid and uncompromising is stupid.

+1.

I have to agree with Paderic's statement above.

Don't you think that in 40 or 50 some odd years of someone's life that they haven't tried dancing. I mean really... Some folks don't like it, some folks aren't good at it, they've tried it and can't be bothered with it. So what. If dancing is your thing, find someone that likes it too. Dancing is so far down the list of things I'd ask for in the perfect for me man.

I do agree that compromise makes a good relationship but....how has that worked for many on here, they are divorced. And there are things I don't want to do and won't do, like going hunting or fishing, hell, I don't scrap book with my gal pals nor do I like going to bingo or bowling. My life is fine without the compromise of fishing with my husband and he hated to dance so - I didn't go fishing and he didn't dance. Worked fine for us. To state that someone is rigid and uncompromising because they won't/don't do what you want is, like Paderic stated - stupid.

++++1

Not wanting to at least try to dance means you are rigid and uncompromising in your thinking.

Agree. But here it is one more time, you seem to missed it

Yeah because at 47 years old I still haven't tried, so I don't know what I am talking about.

If you don't like to dance...then don't, it is that simple...

Yeah, sounds pretty simple to me.

Hogtownboy
Msg: 114
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:58:52 PM
AS the OP on this thread. Please read my OP. It is not about what men should do. It is about list dancing and do you think it limits the respond you gets
 mjinict
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 2:55:22 PM
Ok, OP. Why are you amazed at the need for dancers to list dancing as a requirement on a profile when stated there are 20 women for every male dancer at the venue? And, according to some of the responses, isn't it best to try to find someone ALREADY willing to do so? What's a single dancer wanting a partner TO do? Or do you just think it's asking too much to share this interest? Yes, it may limit their responses, but it may be limiting to you as well, not being willing and able.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:09:21 PM

...I bet I could get you on the dance floor, rancher.

Yes , but would you dance with me real slow ..?
 mjinict
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:34:45 PM
You'd have to earn that! Funny how guys are willing to slow dance. - it's a start:)
 deere_rancher
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:28:33 PM
Thanks mjinict,.. your lovely ,. but I don't chase after dangling carrots anymore.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:56:54 PM
^^^Good answer..EARN it??...Good grief
 Madailein
Msg: 120
Dancing
Posted: 3/21/2013 12:51:47 AM

My father could take me or any of my friends and turn them into a swan by the time the music stopped. Any woman can dance if the man correctly leads with firm authority.

I think it depends on the type of dance and many men have told me that some women cannot follow no matter how well they lead.

A woman, listing dancing, in her list of interests, will, usually, cut down her initial contact rate from men who are: Caucasian, straight, and non-players. I know, I click "next" :)

I put “Dancing” on a guy’s list right up there with Cuddling, Kissing…not a turn on for me either.
 Technoartisan
Msg: 121
Dancing
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:53:38 PM
Back to the OP...

I think listing dancing as an interest definitely cuts down on the prospects, though not necessarily so. It really depends on the person. Dancing is one of those activities that people claim is just for fun but really take it seriously. Just look at some of the responses to this thread. I think if you look at a profile as a whole (and most of us in the post-40 crowd probably do that instinctively) you can get a feeling for how important dancing, or any activity, is to that person.

In my personal experience I have found that a woman that brings it up most certainly has expectations that a man will dance with her even if she says it isn't important. She's either lying to herself or you. Note that I said "most" women. I don't want to paint with too broad of a brush. Anyway, I just avoid the problem all together and simply go to the next profile. I may be missing something, but the odds are much greater that I will just end up regretting the attempt at courting a "dancer". (That's experience talking, again.)

Now as far as doing something for your SO just because they asked is OK for one or two attempts. Realistically, though, I don't want someone tagging along just because they feel obligated to placate me. In fact, I find that insulting.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 122
Dancing
Posted: 3/24/2013 4:02:56 AM

Strings6
I remember back in my band days I was expected to entertain the crowd with stupid Guitar god moves and foolish facials expressions, i refused and was usually ask to leave.I left gladly, i was there to play music with some dignity for people who wanted to hear music not to make a clown and spectacle out of myself for other people's amusement.

I've played with a lot of cover bands playing different clubs and bars. I've never heard of a real good guitar picker asked to leave a band because he didn't want to do some fancy show moves. Sounds like those bands didn't like your general attitude, or you weren't very good. One or the other, because a average player with a good attitude or a great player with a so-so attitude, still has a Gig.

I disagree about nobody noticing a bad dancer, i have heard people ridicule them many times behind their backs in Bars and dance halls and have no desire to be the object of such ridicule when with a little effort they could find something else to ridicule me about. I have nothing against dancing or dancers....its just not for me

The 2 types of people who comment on other dancers, most the time are either the really good dancers or those who won't even try, mostly the latter. For those in the latter group, many times I've told them if they're such an expert, show us how to do it right. 9 times out of 10 that shuts them up right there.

But sit on your hands on the side, cause, if she really wants to dance, I'll be holding your girl during that dance. If you don't like it, get off your A$$ and dance with her.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Dancing
Posted: 3/25/2013 5:38:55 AM
dr. mike....I don't agree. I have dated straight, Caucasian, non-dancing, non-playing men, and it was never an issue. Dancing is only one part of who a person is. Any woman who cuts a decent guy off because he isn't a player or doesn't like to dance DOESN'T DESERVE a decent man!
 vanityfair55
Msg: 124
Dancing
Posted: 3/25/2013 7:01:23 AM
Love to watch it,good dancing that is but not since the disco era.
 punchartist
Msg: 125
Dancing
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:00:12 PM
I can sway with the music in a man's arms, but do not claim dancing ability. It is nice, however, to find a man that can dance a bit, and enjoy an evening together.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dancing