Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 126
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Well I found something, double blind study on prayer and health. I am not religious btw. Anyways, it seems the scientific community refuses to accept the double blind clinical trails. But then this is nothing new in science.

http://www.wendycadge.com/assets/Cadge2012.pdf
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Faithdefender doesn't get it
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:21:01 AM
andyaa:

Someone stated that the stories within the bible are myths

[Timothy 3:16, etc]

Just in case you're referring to my posts about this...

This would be an example of reading something a little differently than how it should be, and we just end up going back and forth with "that's not quite what I said" then "yes you did, look here", and the point that's made is effectively muddied, when this could all be avoided by just reading correctly.

I wasn't simply saying "the stories within the bible are myths", and I wasn't arguing for or against the validity of the bible as a whole or saying much about the religion as a whole...please go back and read that/those posts, look at exactly what it is really saying.

andyaa/faithdefender:

Those same people most likely judge people on the colour of their skin as well
The colour of your skin does not effect your reasoning

On that note, I'll take the opportunity to make another particular point - One of the things that causes people to perceive religion and tolerance incorrectly is the false equating of tolerance or prejudice concerning skin color, gender, or orientation...with that concerning religion. Gender, orientation, or skin color cannot be any indication of someone's character, reasoning capabilities, or reasoning tendencies. But, religion is not an unrelated "surface trait", as I call it. Conversely, religion is indeed all about character, and reasoning tendencies. One may not know for sure what the particulars of someone's character or reasoning tendencies are, and those particulars may not even always be all bad...but, religion definately should not be lumped in, as is done, with gender, orientation, or skin color when it comes to issues of tolerance or prejudice.

faithdefender:

(burden of proof)

I hereby accuse you of burglarizing my house. And of killing my dog. If we go to a courtroom of your design, all I have to do is claim that you did this. I don't need to prove anything. It is up to you to prove that you didn't do it. If you don't, then that means that you're guilty and you are going to jail. Now, you might happen to be able to have an alibi, etc, and that would just make you lucky. But it's still up to you to prove your innocence, and not up to me to prove that you're guilty. And remember that this means, while you try to prove your innocence, demonstrating a lack of evidence in my house, like fingerprints, does not help your case at all.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 128
Posted: 4/18/2014 7:22:53 AM

It's a very screwed up "book". If someone says (with conviction) "The Bible is the word of God", I would click (next).

Dude, that was awesome.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/18/2014 9:00:22 AM

On that note, I'll take the opportunity to make another particular point - One of the things that causes people to perceive religion and tolerance incorrectly is the false equating of tolerance or prejudice concerning skin color, gender, or orientation...with that concerning religion. Gender, orientation, or skin color cannot be any indication of someone's character, reasoning capabilities, or reasoning tendencies. But, religion is not an unrelated "surface trait", as I call it. Conversely, religion is indeed all about character, and reasoning tendencies. One may not know for sure what the particulars of someone's character or reasoning tendencies are, and those particulars may not even always be all bad...but, religion definitively should not be lumped in, as is done, with gender, orientation, or skin color when it comes to issues of tolerance or prejudice.

Great way of putting it. My view is that things we choose are fair game for criticism: political belief, religion, occupation, clothing. Things we don't chose aren't: sexual orientation, sex, nationality, race, height.
 Coma_White
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 10:04:15 AM

Great way of putting it. My view is that things we choose are fair game for criticism: political belief, religion, occupation, clothing. Things we don't chose aren't: sexual orientation, sex, nationality, race, height.

Nice sweater. Just kidding!
That's true, there's a difference between things you identify with and things you didn't choose. I try to keep in mind that things like political and religious beliefs can change over time. Many people I knew lost interest in their religion and became agnostic or atheists later on. I know it's a bit judgemental, but I can't help thinking that people are a bit gullible when they believe in everything a religion says without questioning it. Then there's the extreme. I know people that sincerely believe in faith healers and exorcisms. I went to university with them and they're highly educated with multiple degrees. I can't fathom how they are so easily fooled.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 131
Posted: 4/18/2014 2:58:48 PM

That's true, there's a difference between things you identify with and things you didn't choose. I try to keep in mind that things like political and religious beliefs can change over time.

I should clarify that I don't think children get to chose their religious beliefs--unfortunately. And thus should not be teased about their FORCED religious affiliations. But once they are adults, their beliefs are fair game. *Sharpens knives.*
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 132
<<<<<<<>>>> Moderator!
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:43:21 PM
Ok I found it, here is the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17678809
 OrvilleOinkdexter
Msg: 133
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:46:52 PM

My view is that things we choose are fair game for criticism: political belief, religion, occupation, clothing.

Occupation might be one I would leave out. People are laid off all the time, and end up taking on another occupation they would rather not just to survive.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 134
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:59:01 PM

That's true, there's a difference between things you identify with and things you didn't choose. I try to keep in mind that things like political and religious beliefs can change over time.

I should clarify that I don't think children get to choose their religious beliefs--unfortunately. And thus should not be teased about their FORCED religious affiliations. But once they are adults, their beliefs are fair game. *Sharpens knives.*

*Why can't we edit our posts? Err.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 135
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:02:19 PM

Occupation might be one I would leave out. People are laid off all the time, and end up taking on another occupation they would rather not just to survive.

That is a blurred line, yeah. I would never poke fun at someone for working at McDonald's or if they were homeless. Because I do realize that many stations we end up in in life are in fact not real choices, but due to economic and social forces outside of our control. But then we do seem to be quite unapologetic when we poke fun at those with higher status occupations. How many dumb lawyer jokes are in circulation? I guess the same thing applies to white males. Those in power seem to be fair game and exempt from PC norms. All others are protected from criticism. Seems a bit unfair.
 CressB
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:26:32 PM

Why can't we edit our posts? Err.

I think you have somewhere between five and ten minutes to edit.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 137
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:07:40 PM

I think you have somewhere between five and ten minutes to edit.

I don't see an edit tab anywhere. I have deleted posts and re-posted them because of typos. Maybe you can point me in the right direction?
 CressB
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:19:37 PM
Sure. It'll be right under your picture. It'll be a hyperlink that says "Edit Post", right below the hyperlink that says "History".

Hope that helps.

Edit>>> ahh I still had my edit link on this post. See. :)
 RedrockJen
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:36:45 PM

Sure. It'll be right under your picture. It'll be a hyperlink that says "Edit Post", right below the hyperlink that says "History".

Hope that helps.

Glasses on? Check. Looking... no link exists under 'History'. Are you an upgraded member? Do they prohibit those who live in Clarkdale from editing their posts? (A conspiracy theory! :p)
 CressB
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:42:44 PM
Lol. I don't know what to tell you then. Works for me. *shrugs*

I'll wait a few minutes then edit this post. Just to show you that I'm not crazy.

Edit>>> See. Also check "msg 182".

What Internet browser are you using, that is the only thing I can think of. Also, no I am not a paying customer of PoF.
 gingerosity
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:48:30 PM
You're not crazy, I have the blue 'edit post' link under the history link for a while after posting as well.

vvv Hey man, yeah same. Just check back here occasionally for old-times sake...
 CressB
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 5:52:16 PM
^^^ Ging! What's up man? Long time no read. Probably because I haven't been reading lately, but... *shrugs*
 RedrockJen
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:02 PM

You're timing out. Go to the top of the screen and login.
Then refresh the page.
You have about 30 minutes after posting, but logout is currently running around 3 minutes I believe.

Thanks. Will try this.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:06:03 PM

You're timing out. Go to the top of the screen and login.
Then refresh the page.
You have about 30 minutes after posting, but logout is currently running around 3 minutes I believe.

Did not work. And still no edit tab is visible. Will try different browser. Currently using Chrome.
 CressB
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:07:59 PM
Hay, did you edit of did I just misread something? Must have misread.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:21:11 PM
Hay, did you edit of did I just misread something? Must have misread.

No edit. Deleted post. This is the third browser I am trying. Let's see if this works. If not, I give up for now.

Edit:

It was the browser. Using IE now and I do see the 'blue edit link' for my posts. Thanks so much for your help guys. :)
 gingerosity
Msg: 147
view profile
History
 CressB
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:44:37 PM
Yah, Safari works too.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2014 9:55:29 AM
faithdefender:

Me -

I hereby accuse you of burglarizing my house. And of killing my dog. If we go to a courtroom of your design, all I have to do is claim that you did this. I don't need to prove anything. It is up to you to prove that you didn't do it. If you don't, then that means that you're guilty and you are going to jail. Now, you might happen to be able to have an alibi, etc, and that would just make you lucky. But it's still up to you to prove your innocence, and not up to me to prove that you're guilty. And remember that this means, while you try to prove your innocence, demonstrating a lack of evidence in my house, like fingerprints, does not help your case at all.

You -

I would have thought that if I robbed your house and killed your dog I would be innocent until proven guilty.Just because you claimed I did it would not be proof that I did do it.

See? You do understand it. And you do understand why it's important. But somehow you conveniently forget how that all works when it comes to things like whether or not jesus christ existed, etc.

And this is why it's described as "self deception", and "willfully ignorant". You know better. You just admitted it. But you make a choice instead to be irresponsible and dishonest.

(Preemptive comment: All other peripheral alledged "facts", story or historical elements that you would cite in order to show that this isn't an accurate characterization of things...are only there to muddy those waters. To hide the revealing kernal of logic that shows this for what it is.)
 April1963
Msg: 150
Faithdefender does get it........ Andyaa doesn't!
Posted: 4/19/2014 12:10:36 PM
Hey Andyaa,
I believe that you would be interested in this:

Today is Holy Saturday,the blessing of the fire or /light.buy a candle bring it to the church to bless it.This candle will light up the darkness in which you are walking now.Do not miss this opportunity.!..:)

I wrote you some facts that Jesus existed,what else do you want?.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?