Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CressB
Msg: 142
view profile
History
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?Page 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^ Ging! What's up man? Long time no read. Probably because I haven't been reading lately, but... *shrugs*
 RedrockJen
Msg: 143
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:02 PM

You're timing out. Go to the top of the screen and login.
Then refresh the page.
You have about 30 minutes after posting, but logout is currently running around 3 minutes I believe.

Thanks. Will try this.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:06:03 PM

You're timing out. Go to the top of the screen and login.
Then refresh the page.
You have about 30 minutes after posting, but logout is currently running around 3 minutes I believe.

Did not work. And still no edit tab is visible. Will try different browser. Currently using Chrome.
 CressB
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:07:59 PM
Hay, did you edit of did I just misread something? Must have misread.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:21:11 PM
Hay, did you edit of did I just misread something? Must have misread.

No edit. Deleted post. This is the third browser I am trying. Let's see if this works. If not, I give up for now.

Edit:

It was the browser. Using IE now and I do see the 'blue edit link' for my posts. Thanks so much for your help guys. :)
 gingerosity
Msg: 147
view profile
History
 CressB
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:44:37 PM
Yah, Safari works too.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Faithdefender doesn't get it
Posted: 4/19/2014 9:55:29 AM
faithdefender:

Me -

I hereby accuse you of burglarizing my house. And of killing my dog. If we go to a courtroom of your design, all I have to do is claim that you did this. I don't need to prove anything. It is up to you to prove that you didn't do it. If you don't, then that means that you're guilty and you are going to jail. Now, you might happen to be able to have an alibi, etc, and that would just make you lucky. But it's still up to you to prove your innocence, and not up to me to prove that you're guilty. And remember that this means, while you try to prove your innocence, demonstrating a lack of evidence in my house, like fingerprints, does not help your case at all.

You -

I would have thought that if I robbed your house and killed your dog I would be innocent until proven guilty.Just because you claimed I did it would not be proof that I did do it.

See? You do understand it. And you do understand why it's important. But somehow you conveniently forget how that all works when it comes to things like whether or not jesus christ existed, etc.

And this is why it's described as "self deception", and "willfully ignorant". You know better. You just admitted it. But you make a choice instead to be irresponsible and dishonest.

(Preemptive comment: All other peripheral alledged "facts", story or historical elements that you would cite in order to show that this isn't an accurate characterization of things...are only there to muddy those waters. To hide the revealing kernal of logic that shows this for what it is.)
 April1963
Msg: 150
Faithdefender does get it........ Andyaa doesn't!
Posted: 4/19/2014 12:10:36 PM
Hey Andyaa,
I believe that you would be interested in this:

Today is Holy Saturday,the blessing of the fire or /light.buy a candle bring it to the church to bless it.This candle will light up the darkness in which you are walking now.Do not miss this opportunity.!..:)

I wrote you some facts that Jesus existed,what else do you want?.
 PhotoBrent
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Faithdefender doesn't get it
Posted: 4/19/2014 4:24:39 PM
Here's the problem with dating believers: their acceptance of things without evidence, or even contrary to evidence, leads them to irrational beliefs and acts in other areas of their lives. And their desire to control their environment - which is at the core of religious belief - along with the selfishness it often is accompanied by, encourages them to be controlling and justify it by claiming they are only trying to "improve" the person.

Said person, for example, may argue that you should do something because it's "good for you," when really it's just what they want you to do.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2014 4:50:57 PM

This candle will light up the darkness in which you are walking now.

In the past I'd eventually compiled a list of items called "a little kid's game of opposites", which identifies and reveals the many things within religion, and the various deceptive rhetorical stunts that religion pulls, that happen to be the "opposite" in reality than what is claimed.

This will have to be added to my list...a 'sales pitch' that they infect poor naive children with in sunday school to begin spattering to folks in the secular world, some form of the rhetoric of "take the torch/candle and run into the darkness/light up the darkness".

If a person were to stop and think what could ever be referred to with "darkness" and "lighting it up", then you'd realize that it should never be used in this way...that it'd mean just the opposite. That it'd refer to the darkness of naivety, close-mindedness, dogmatic belief opposing objective knowledge and learning, and an ignorance/lack of knowledge.

andyaa: Does that support the idea that nazism was atheistic, or that the claim that they were is hogwash, or both? But wait, programs on the History Channel claim that "aryan" is something that never existed, that there was never an "aryan" race. Arg!
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2014 1:22:29 AM

Oh nazism is atheist, as are most political parties

But I think that Hitler and Nazism cannot be said to be atheistic. Something is often called atheistic if it isn't of a particular form of religion. But I think that what religion even is, is not widely recognized, which is one reason why contending with religion is tricky because people don't even understand what it is, due to deception being one of religion's biggest games.

Socially/culturally/politically...religion is all about a specific structure, and specific dynamics of operation. The convention is to recognize a religion as such based on a certain appearance and name. But if it's structured like religion, and operates like religion, then it is religion. Religion can manifest in many forms, and one must not be fooled by image or name. Saying that something like Hitler and Nazism isn't a religion is like Islam saying that Christianity isn't a religion just because it isn't Islam, or vice versa. In other words, Nazism is thought to not be a religion just because it's believed that they were to denounce, say, Christianity. But just because it isn't a particular religion doesn't mean that it isn't another kind of religion itself.

Hitler was the god. Fascist. Nazism included the people dogmatically following that god and the tenets of Nazism, without responsible objectivity or skepticism, despite the fact that many people didn't agree yet were caught up in the momentum unwillingly.

So, when people do crap like holding up something like Hitler and Nazism as an example of what happens when a nation is atheistic or without religon, they are not making the point that they think they are making. They are only spouting more hogwash, and showing that they don't even understand the issues on the most basic levels.

But then, on top of all that, we'd need to somehow discount all of the instances wherein Hitler stated that he was doing the lord's work...this would explain why the Jews were hated, because they killed Christ. Few people stop to consider this possible connection.
 faithdefender
Msg: 154
Changed thread title insults removed
Posted: 4/20/2014 2:31:18 AM

You're finished.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||
 ladymercury
Msg: 155
Posted: 4/20/2014 10:43:11 AM
I wouldn't really turn down anything for the sake of anything. At this stage in the game I have experienced things, loved things and allowed myself to be open to whatever it is that the earth feeds. Perhaps I don't get the supreme being thing.

Who really gives a fvck what a person says about their own path anyway? I find all of it enlightening and definitely interesting. I'd surely spend a bit of time with anyone claiming they knew something about any kind of religion or shared stories.

Simple if you ask me.
 gingerosity
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2014 3:42:36 PM

Doing the math on the random assembly of it's coding, the number of variables that have to be in place to happen, the number is insanely huge, and the time this universe has been around doesn't allow for enough time for anything to actually form into something cohesive.

You've got the random mutation but missed the natural selection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_tcAEbHHw
 gingerosity
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2014 9:12:10 PM

it's far too slow of a pace for me to just sit and watch through some vid when the information can be more easily read.

Translation: "I'd rather argue than learn." Good luck with that.
 Coma_White
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:27:31 AM

But then, on top of all that, we'd need to somehow discount all of the instances wherein Hitler stated that he was doing the lord's work...this would explain why the Jews were hated, because they killed Christ. Few people stop to consider this possible connection.

It wasn't so much for religious reasons. Many leaders of the red revolution in Germany were Jewish. There were feelings of antisemitism across Europe and other places like Cuba. Ships carrying refugees away from the conflict in Europe were turned away by Cuba. In Russia, the Yevsektsii and the Anti-Zionist committee of the Soviet public persecuted Jewish citizens. In the Ukraine, an estimated 100,000 Jews were killed by the white army during the aftermath of the Russian civil war. During this time, there were also pogroms against Jews in the Ukraine and Southern Russia. Economic instability caused by Jewish refugees to countries like Poland caused a rise is antisemitism that was seen in the media and on the street. There was a problem with Jewish people creating a parallel culture instead of assimilating, and an increasing number of Jewish people were listing their native language as Yiddish or Hebrew instead of Polish. I would argue that the "lord's work" would be more of a reference to establishing Germany as a world power at the expense of Jews, Slavs, Gypsies, etc.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:10:46 AM
(Us all getting a bit off topic now...)

Briantheman12:

Mutations shown in nature have never created something that was improved from what was there before., In any society, the ones that are not the norm tend to also be selected out and away from, since it's not conforming with the comfort zone in mindset, be it human, animal or otherwise. Also, how so many animals and insects have certain traits and qualities, that would make absolutely no sense until full completion. Example, there is a beetle in South America that shoots out two chemicals to form a volatile reaction, it's capacity to do this, the complexity required, any deviation along the way would be disastrous. We have other examples, a parasite that infects an ant, causing it's abdomen to swell and turn red, which in turn resembles a berry that birds eat, then depositing it in the form of waste, in another area, allowing the parasite to start the process over with another ant. How can some simple parasite have the capacity to know the complexities and interaction of ants, birds, and including the visual's, of which it has no eye site, no brain, no possible means to "select" it's mate based upon this, be in this case, it's asexual, so there is nothing to even select from in the first place.

Too many loose ends and great big gaps for me to take what is being taught about evolution, I simply don't have that much faith.

You are making, and revealing, so many mistakes there that it's too funny to laugh. This is beginning to belong in another thread, it all being too far off-topic. Otherwise, you'd be picked apart a dozen times by now for revealing so many mistakes in one paragraph. You really need to learn a lot about what Evolution really is. You have a long ways to go.

Coma_White:

What is it, anyway, with so many being so hostile towards Jews throughout history? What is it about the Jews? What don't I know about them?

Andyaa:

The trouble with trying to define these sorts of terms is that they mean different things to different people. By your definition, the girls guide or scout movement would be considered a religion. I think there has to be an element of divinity and an explanation for the universe...

Well, no, at least I don't think so. "By my definition"...I didn't really define this very deeply here. It's much more specific and concrete. And, though it can "mean different things to different people", that's not really of much consequence. People are always trying to impose some subjectivity where it doesn't belong. But it's pretty objective. Moreover, what you're saying here can be said simply because the religious structure is manifest in more forms than people realize...it's rooted itself into our culture, sociology, and psyche, because people generally don't know how to recognize it nor understand that it's not benign.

...when people do crap like holding up something like Hitler and Nazism as an example of what happens when a nation is atheistic or without religon...
...you're blurring the two together there and coming up with 5. The nation Germany, was christian at the time...The nation wasn't atheist at all, the party was...

Since I'm talking about what other's do, how they present the situation, this discrepancy is inconsequential and not of my making.

Be very careful here, there was, and still is lots of propaganda surrounding this man. He still has followers that will even deny the holocaust even happened.
You have to unpick the truth, then distinguish between what he said to get into power against what he said once in power

Again, don't miss my point about the structure and dynamics of operation specific to "religion", and how it can define a group-entity (Nazi party, for example) even though it's name and image isn't immediately thought of conventionally as "religion".

This is quite inaccurate. It was the Italians that killed Christ...

Perhaps, but again, I'm talking about any given other circle of people and their views and motivations, and making a different point to which this is inconsequential. No?
 Coma_White
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2014 10:24:42 AM

What is it, anyway, with so many being so hostile towards Jews throughout history? What is it about the Jews? What don't I know about them?

Many people blamed German Jews for losing World War 1 and causing the revolution in 1918. Jews were the targets of many conspiracy theories and they were an easy scapegoat. The easiest comparison would be to take a look at some Muslim communities in Western European countries like France or Britain. Instead of assimilating, they have a parallel culture, demanding their own courts and believing that their way of life is superior to the French or British way of life. The response to this is the creation of far right movements like the Front National and Generation Identitaire in France. The tensions that this creates between citizens is the same tension that existed between Jews and ethinic Germans, Poles, Ukrainians, etc.
 Coma_White
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2014 12:33:03 PM

I would turn down a relationship with someone that was just over the top about their beliefs. Like, if I was watching the movie Ghostbusters, and they asked me to turn it off because that was "the devel's work".....or some BS like that....lol. Which BTW, is a semi true story. Years ago, My 2 girls were watching Ghostbusters and a family member on my husbands side of the family was SO offended that he was letting his kids watch that movie since afterall, it was the "devil's work"......like WTF - seriously? So yea, if I were in a relationship with someone like that.....I'm sure the relationship would be over before it even started. : /

When I was in highschool, I went to see the movie American Beauty and I guess some of my friends recently became hardcore born-again Christians. They all walked out of the movie becuase they found it offensive and I stayed with my friend that was non-religious. Some people need to relax and live life with more common sense.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 162
Posted: 5/5/2014 1:07:03 AM
Technically, I suppose I would have to say that I am an agnostic if I had to choose a label. I am vaguely aware that there is so much more to this universe than I will ever dream of. Our entire species will probably die out completely, long before we even have a frame of reference to describe how little we have learned.

I accept the fact that most other humans have some belief in a God, the supernatural, extra-terrestrial, etc. Some of my own beliefs are no better than faith, so it isn't something that matters much to me. How that person behaves is much more important. If they are rude and intolerant, narrow-minded or hypocritical about their beliefs, I won't have much time for them. If I find their beliefs to be ridiculous, I might find it difficult to respect them too.

Dating, sure; relationship, unlikely.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 163
Posted: 5/5/2014 7:44:06 AM

When I was in highschool, I went to see the movie American Beauty and I guess some of my friends recently became hardcore born-again Christians. They all walked out of the movie becuase they found it offensive and I stayed with my friend that was non-religious. Some people need to relax and live life with more common sense.

This is funny. The interesting thing about that movie is that I used to have drinks with the writer of that movie all the time at different friends houses. He was working on some project and hated his job in New York. Then I went to see the movie and his name came at the end, wow. That was his project.
 Artio711
Msg: 164
Posted: 5/11/2014 3:45:58 AM
I agree I dont give a toss what people believe. As long as its not shoved down my throat, I am all good.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 165
Posted: 5/18/2014 6:05:14 AM

This is quite inaccurate. It was the Italians that killed Christ, no seriously,

Man, this thread has gotten totally ridiculous!

For the record, there was no such thing as an "Italian"(as they are known today) back in the 1st century

That portion of Europe (which wasn't even referred to as Italy) was the home and origin of the Roman pple, who were far different than the pple who live there now (or anywhere else in the former Roman empire).
 Coma_White
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2014 11:35:56 AM

I couldn't agree more. When I moved out to AZ 8 years ago I found zero meaningful conversations. I had to delete most of my vocabulary and really dumb everything down. It's not Arizona of course but just the demographic where I ended up in after separating from my wife. What you wrote was probably the most profound thing I've heard in years. Thanks!

What who wrote?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?