Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you really stay friends with an ex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 82
Can you really stay friends with an ex?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Sounds like to me she wants to be back in your life, but won't admit that she wants to get back together. Just from her jealous behaviour of liking all your facebook posts, tagging you in pictures and asking you about your dating life should be clear signs. She is marking her territory and letting other women know that she is into you. Thats how I see it. You need to let it be clear that you two are just friends, and don't sleep with her either. That will just give her more hope.
 Luv_Life_Now
Msg: 83
Can you really stay friends with an ex?
Posted: 10/17/2013 6:47:47 AM
She really is a good person. We didn't end things on super bad terms or anything. She was crushed when I broke up with her at first but she seems like she has been okay lately. Except for the things that I mentioned. I don't really have a problem with losing contact for a while but it seems like she does and I don't want to hurt her any more than I already have. If that makes sense.

LoneScottishBoy is right. She is still waiting in the wings. Maybe you like this part but it's not good for her.

If you broke up with her and no longer want to be with her romantically and ever cared for her at all, cut all contact. It's the only way. She is still hoping to get your attention and get back together - she doesn't want to be just friends. And you are hurting her more by staying in contact. Let her go to find someone who will appreciate and love her.

I saw something the other day that says: Psychology claims that if two lovers can remain just friends, it's either they are still in love or never were.
 carolann0308
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2013 6:57:26 AM

If you were not hurt during the relationship or were the one that walked away, then sure. But with all the friendship possibilities out there, why complicate future relationships.
 genie270
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/17/2013 11:38:02 AM
No not unless a sufficient amount of time has passed and you have completely healed. In my case, that was three years. I can be friends with him today, yes. But not back then. If feelings towards each other still exist, it is better to cut off all ties.
 Maleman999
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/17/2013 12:14:25 PM
^^^"No not unless a sufficient amount of time has passed and you have completely healed. In my case, that was three years. I can be friends with him today, yes. "

So what's the point of being friends now (or possibly being in the future)-especially if it took you three years to get over it and heal from the hurt? I tend to cut people out of my life who hurt me. That's something I don't give people a second chance to do. People don't really change over time, no matter how much they say they have.
 genie270
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/17/2013 6:42:48 PM
^^^ @ maleman: I said I can implying I would be able to if need be. I did not say I will be or am planning to.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/18/2013 10:27:38 AM
genie,

No not unless a sufficient amount of time has passed and you have completely healed.

I agree. Many times one's "healed" -- as in they lost interest in their BF/GF at the tail end of the relationship anyway, and want to be friends with the one they dumped out of empathy and still care about them as a person (in a family-member sorta way)... while the other person is still hurt and there's confusion "Why won't he/she be friends after the breakup?!" They probably were never in position of feeling strongly about someone who broke up with them, and/or just self-centered & air-headed lol

So what's the point of being friends now (or possibly being in the future)-especially if it took you three years to get over it and heal from the hurt?

Good question. But I think the question should be: What's the point of *going out of one's way* to be friends with an ex in which it took 3 years to heal? And to that I say -- there is no point.

However, you may have mutual friends. And just like making friends, it happens incidentally. If someone goes out of their way after being hurt, IMO, that's a direct indicator that they're not over them, feelings came back, etc.

If you have mutual friends and life circumstances change, etc -- and you're put in position where you're going to be around them and all, I would say you could ALLOW a new friendship, starting from scratch, to develop, if you're both fully healed AND have both fully moved on.

But to have a close or 1-on-1 friendship is playing with fire, IMO. That's asking for feelings to come back or an indicator that they have with one of the people involved.
 scottey63
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2013 10:34:02 AM
Yes, but it's hard. If you don't have kids together, why would want to? Are you hoping to get into her pants again someday?
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2013 10:38:29 AM
When one has been in a 30 year relationship which included marriage, it can pay big dividends to get along with your ex if you can. There are children, relatives, financial issues, property and many other things that tie the two of you together forever. Personally, I am respectful and friendly with my ex. I owe him much which I can now see in hindsight. Because of him I'm much more secure than I would have been on my own. These things he did because he also recognized the fact that we had grown apart and we couldn't stay together. It's wonderful not to be angry and bitter (like some in here) and if he ever needed anything from me that I could deliver, he would get it. Because of him I'm a better person and I am grateful everyday for our past life together. I even kept his last name. But all this came AFTER the divorce with much contemplation and time. Time does heal...if you let it.
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/18/2013 4:51:43 PM
Depends. What are your raw emotions towards her at the moment? Could you handle speaking to her strictly as a "friend" and not engaging in dating/relationship like activities?

If you both can do that and remain as friends. Then go for it.

But first allow yourself time to heal and get mentally settle into not being her bf. Go through the emotional pain of that and deal with it properly.

Then when you are mentally fresh, go back into the dating field and keep her in the friend zone.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/18/2013 5:07:45 PM
Yes some people can....my case we just fell out of love....we have the same circle of close friends. She's a beautiful mother and her husband also a good friend has been a great step father. Its been 17 yrs and nothing has changed. I was blessed to have met her and to be the mother of my son.....couldn't have asked to have better people in my life.
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/19/2013 8:50:13 AM

My ex turned out to be a cheating, lying, sadistic, narcissistic sociopathic scumbag, (which is why he is an ex) - so no not in a million years would i want to be 'friends' with him, or even breathe the same air in his presence!

And yet, you found him perfect enough to marry him in the first place. It's very strange how that works.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:30:13 PM

People who talk about the ex, talk to an ex, etc. are just sowing seeds to undermine their current relationship. The most important element in getting a man to be there for you is to make him feel secure and to know that he can trust you implicitly.

And like wise, as in a healthy relationship you live in the present......or not....

As when I read many post here, in those who still rag about their ex's, after 5,10,15.20 years is sad.....

And would Not want that dragged into a new [old baggage]relationship's for all the tea in China!

Unless you are desperate,lonely,etc to be in a that kind of relationship or other ^^^^^
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you really stay friends with an ex?