Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Instant Old Age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 racheone
Msg: 26
Instant Old AgePage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Thank you mitchozie! I will let her know.
 DragonBits
Msg: 27
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:40:43 AM
Well, in our society anything instant has to be good.

But no doubt in my mind they over prescribe meds that you need to be on for a lifetime. The tricky part is trying to decide what you really need and what a doctor prescribes just because they prescribe it too many people in your age range. Or what you need that they don't want to prescribe.

I try and exercise and not get fat, eat somewhat healthy without getting obsessed by it. Normally my cholesterol is in a range that isn't high but isn't really low either.
 mitchozie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/15/2013 1:15:29 PM
Thank you allthegoodnamesrtaken1,

It took me a while to realize that drugs do not, "cure", any illness, the body must heal itself. If cures came from drugs, there would be no, "placebo effect". Live well, eat well, and most importantly, think well, and you will have very little need for BigPharma's products.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/17/2013 1:44:22 AM
The Framingham Study was not focused on lowering cholesterol, though many others have been. It studied OUTCOMES - morbidity and mortality - for people from an era before statins were available through today and will continue into the future. It is one of a great many showing that statins - which certainly aren't aiming to cure and certainly do generate ongoing revenue - do improve health and extend life for a large fraction of the at-risk population.

As has been noted by others, cures for chronic and progressive diseases are few and far between. And research on placebo effects shows that they are concentrated in some diseases and negligible in others.

Wikipedia is not a scientific reference. But it IS a gateway to many such references. Any medical journal or research journal index is a good place to start, too.

Do not turn your back on science and reason; use it to judge and make intelligent decisions. Nature is just where the poop landed when the fan stopped. It's not inherently good or bad. Human life in the more natural state was, as the great man said, "Nasty, brutish and short."

The Black Death was, in part, promoted by a fear of bathing and washing. Sure, filth is natural. Sure, your immune system gets more aggressively challenged when you are exposed to a lot. But what kills you won't make you any stronger.
ED BEAR
 mitchozie
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/17/2013 5:02:19 AM
Given the choice of believing a, "scientific study", or believing what my body is telling me, I'll opt for the latter. Science is made up of theories, and as more information is acquired, theories change. I, personally, would rather live with high cholesterol, instead of the debilitating side effects which I suffered.
 satx78218
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:24:28 AM
nursing home put my mother on statins, really messed her up bad. putting a bed-ridden 80-years Alzheimers patient on statins? really? nothing but a ripoff, where my mother paid $$$ and with her quality of life. Nursing homes see patients as ATMs.

a buddy trusted his golfing buddy doctor, took some statins, lost a lot his hearing replaced with weird noises, and felt like sh!t for weeks, until I convinced him to stop the statins. Within 3 days, he was back to normal.

statins and the cholesterol myth are a huge money-sucking scam. Almost NO ONE benefits from statins, and lots of people with low cholesterol die from CVD, while many people with high cholesterol don't get CVD.
 Albvs
Msg: 32
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/18/2013 1:49:44 PM
Just saw this article, btw.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/there-only-one-type-cholesterol-heres-why

I wish that I had this information available before I took Lipitor. I now have permanent frontal lobe damage due to taking Statins. This means that I have severe memory loss, especially my short term memory. I also suffered agonizing muscle pains after taking Statins for just a few weeks. For several months I was practically bed ridden, and couldn't even dress myself in the normal manner. I had to figure out other methods to put my clothing on since I couldn't raise my arms above my shoulders, or behind my back. Within weeks of taking Lipitor I was a virtual cripple. I am now taking more than a dozen supplements a day to help overcome the damage caused by Lipitor.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/25/2013 1:01:19 AM
Mitchozie - You DID a scientific study. You tested the medication regimen, did not react well to it and quite sensibly quit. It would have been irrational for you to keep taking it in the face of that evidence. It also would have been irrational for you to start taking it if there was no evidence of its effectiveness except celebrity endorsements or untested theories.

Albvs - there is indeed only one substance known as cholesterol. That's why doctors don't like to hear people using "good" and "bad" associated with the chemical. (Yes, chemical - a naturally-occurring, produced-in-the-human-body chemical. Everything's a chemical.) There is cholesterol present in the body which is associated (stored with and bonded to to some extent) with low-density lipoproteins (low-molecular-weight fats) or with high-density lipoproteins. The same chemical has different effects in the presence of different fats.

ED BEAR
 mitchozie
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/26/2013 9:43:48 AM
I'll admit that I am happy to see the responses to my original post. One of my biggest problems with the current medical/pharmaceutical establishment, is the practice of prescribing drugs (chemicals) to be taken in perpetuity. In other words, "your body is suffering from a lack of X, therefore you must take X, for the rest of your life, in order to be healthy". I don't buy it, and those of us who equate authority with sagacity, will suffer for that belief.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/26/2013 4:08:44 PM
I already knew that. Joe Mercola (of jmercola.com) has been the voice in the background for years. He has been busting Big Pharma for a long time, as well as GMOs. He was the one who was screaming Vitamin D was lacking in our diets...now it's old news. Yes, he's controversial, but he certainly makes you think. The medical community prescribes drugs for symptoms but never address why we're sick in the first place...life style (aka as a very bad diet, lack of exercise, stress) Also something to think about...we are all addicted to fat, sugar, and salt. Don't think so? Try getting off sugar some time.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/27/2013 9:28:35 AM
Statins aren't something missing from your body. They are a very (though not universally) successful treatment for a condition we do not know how to prevent - early cardiovascular events leading to death.

If we could cure it, you wouldn't need long-term therapy, but dietary and exercise regimens can have only a very slight effect - no more than 10% in the overwhelming majority of people - on cholesterol levels. Our bodies manufacture about 1/3 - 1/2 of the stuff in our bodies. Statins can easily cut cholesterol levels in half in patients who tolerate them.
ED BEAR
 timeforall
Msg: 37
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/27/2013 12:46:57 PM
I must admit that I sometimes wonder about taking Statins. My cholesterol was never that high to begin with, but it was about 175 and I wanted it lower. It is now about 150 after taking Provochol, 20mg which I reduced to 10 mg. My HDL is close to 70 because of the exercise I do. My LDL at 130, now hovers around 100 because of the Statin. I hope that the Statin is more beneficial than not, and suppose I could stop it if I concluded otherwise. Its really hard to judge whether you are a victim of Big Pharma or a beneficiary.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/27/2013 1:31:48 PM
I will state that diet makes a HUGE difference. Without going into my health issues, all my cholesterol numbers are now within normal or a little below...all without meds. With all the law suits out there over these meds, I decided I would do it on my own...and it works.
We have to remember that the pharmaceutial companies are out to make money, plain and simple. They make their money treating the symptoms, not the cause.
 satx78218
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/27/2013 2:37:45 PM
Google: "cholesterol statins scam"
 Chipsss
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/31/2013 12:58:46 PM
Statins are BS. Here is a peer reviewed medical study, done in Norway, on cholestorol…..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21951982

Quoted from conclusion: "If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the 'dangers' of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial."
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/4/2013 1:51:38 PM

Whilst there is plenty of evidence that statins have saved some lifes of people at high risk

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where? By who? Who financed them?

There is "some" evidence that "some men" who have had heart attacks can possibly benefit from them, but it could be many other changes they made instead ( food/lifestyle/exercise) and NOT the statins and even other medications they are taking after having the living sh1t scared out of them by having the heart attack..Hello..
 anita_lay
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/4/2013 6:03:53 PM
I know a couple who are on high-dosage statins and keep eating and drinking like there's no tomorrow, saying ''It's ok, we're on statins''.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/5/2013 5:02:26 AM
^^^^^^Unfortunately are a lot like that.

It s been 100 years since the anti fat crusade started ( fat causes heart disease) That was during WW1

Sad.

It could take another 100 to change peoples mind set.

Was having the conversation with a friend on statins that cant lose her belly.

Quoted a lot of research from reliable and respected sources and she still insists her family practitioner would not "DO that to her." ( prescribe a medication that is of no use, second could cause harm)

It doesn't mean he isn't nice or is trying to harm her. He just doesnt know.
 aquila75
Msg: 44
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/5/2013 8:22:35 PM
It causes fatigue, if you take this pill, you won't feel like exercising. It causes balance problems, you will find it difficult to walk in a straight line. It causes, "brain fog", you won't be able to think clearly about the physical problems you have suddenly acquired. It causes muscle pain, if it is in a leg, you will have to walk with a limp. and, finally, it puts you at risk of other diseases, like diabetes, and heart disease.

^^^^^
This is the dumbest thing I've seen so far this week.
In the future you might consider telling this to your doctor instead of everyone but. It takes 5 min to write up a new prescription for something that won't give you the side effects.
 Archiver
Msg: 45
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/10/2013 3:53:09 PM
My doctor agrees completely with OP. In his entire practice he now has only one patient on statins.

Several years ago I was prescribed Lipitor (by another doctor), not because my cholesterol was high, but because I had consistently high C-reactive Protein readings. Within three months I developed muscle weakness in my legs. I was switched to Provocol. I continued to have muscle weakness, and was told to no longer take any statins. My CRP did drop somewhat while on the statins, but never to a "normal" level.

While I am obese, my cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar have always been normal. Since retiring from my high stress job, my blood pressure is again normal. The last two doctors I've seen have concluded that high CRP is normal for me, since other factors are in normal ranges. (I have subsequently learned that I have multi-level arthritis in my neck, which probably accounts for the "inflammation".)

While high cholesterol and high CRP can be an indicator of heart risks, they may not be. My bet is that ten years from now, high cholesterol will no longer be considered a big deal.
 mitchozie
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/12/2013 2:49:21 AM
^^^^^
This is the dumbest thing I've seen so far this week.
In the future you might consider telling this to your doctor instead of everyone but. It takes 5 min to write up a new prescription for something that won't give you the side effects.
aquila75,
I guess you haven't looked in a mirror, this week. LOL.
 DawnLuvs2Run
Msg: 47
Instant Old Age
Posted: 10/15/2013 10:56:58 PM

Some side effects from statins are muscle fatigue, weakness and connective tissue disorder. The last is a serious side effect, which I believe you suffer from. It mimics muscle breakdown as if you are elderly.

I was on Lipitor for 10 months a few years ago. I developed muscle weakness in my legs. It got so bad I had to hold furniture to cross the room at home and held the walls when walking in the office. I was to stubborn to use a cane. I'm a runner and thought maybe it was related to my running. I went for physio, etc. It appeared to get better then would get worse. Other side effects started to show up so I thought back, what had changed? All I could think about was the Lipitor, so I did some research. I was upset at what I discovered. I stopped immediately within a few weeks the rest of the side effects subsided. Unfortunely my right leg never recovered. I still run but I doubt I will ever be able to run as I did before the Lipitor.

My cholesterol is not overly high. It is borderline but because of my family history my Dr would prefer I was on something. I say if the drug I take comprimises my health more then the risk I run is it really worth taking. If the drug nearly cripples me, and causes depression how is it helping my health? For those that it works for, great. But I will never take a statin ever again.

I wish that DRs would warn you of possible side-effects. Mine didn't. I had to learn the hard way and am still paying for it. Perhaps I should have asked more questions, too late now.
 mitchozie
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 11/2/2013 2:15:22 AM
Dawn, I understand how you feel. It's been nearly a year, and I'm still recovering from the effects of the statins. Most days I feel great, but some days the feelings of imbalance come back. I don't know how long statins stay in your system, but recovery is not instantaneous. The good news is that your strength and well being will return, it just takes a while.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 11/2/2013 3:22:55 AM
I'm wondering if a liver cleanse may help with accelerating "getting it out of your system".

I know the last time I was put on an RX YEARS ago my liver enzymes went dangerously high and my F-Practitioner thought I may be drinking or taking tylenol (which i wasn't).
I did feel horrible and did a good cleanse which lowered them to pre Rx consumption and felt much better.

FDA Adds New Warning Labels to Statin Drugs

Following an internal meeting between the FDA's Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology and Office of New Drugs, the Agency announced it would be requiring additional warning labels for statin drugs. Among them are warnings that statins may increase the risk of:

Liver damage
Memory loss and confusion
Type 2 diabetes
Muscle weakness (for certain statins)

According to Dr. Amy Egan, the FDA's deputy director of safety in the division of metabolism drug products, the new warnings, particularly the one for memory loss, came as the result of anecdotal reports compiled over the past year. In short, with well over 30 million Americans now taking statin drugs, we're witnessing a massive ongoing 'live' experiment, and many are putting their health on the line for drugs that offer little in the way of heart protection. In fact, they may actually make your heart health worse.

I know someone that no matter what evidence or research I show her/tell her she won't stop taking them YET.

If she did stop, she would want instant results, so hearing it can take a while is something I'm glad to hear of your account that it doesnt happen overnight from someone who has been there.

I beleive almost all drugs store in organs, tissues and or fat myself in some way and it could take a while.

Thanks.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 11/4/2013 2:47:55 AM
OP>Tried to thank you for your thread by message BUT Ack!! (mileage restrictions ).

My friend read your story and has stopped her statin use after me badgering her for a good while AND your testimonial seemed to (at least ) encourage her to give it a go sans statins.

I'm so glad you mentioned it doesn't change things back to normal overnight.

Thanks again!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Instant Old Age