Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 18
How to stay off Facebook...Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
One thing I've been known to do is to update my computer's HOSTS file. You can fake your computer out so that it can't actually go to the FB website.

So in the SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC folder, edit the HOSTS file* to add the following line:

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

That's it. Even if you try to go to the website using your browser it won't find it anymore.

* There's no extension to this file. If you edit the file in Notepad you might have to save it as "hosts" with quotation marks like that; otherwise, Notepad will want to add ".txt" to the end.
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 19
How to stay off Facebook...
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:29:43 PM
You can delete your account. Its really simple.

If your friends wanted to invite you to go somewhere they could call you.
 Chipsss
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:38:39 PM
Well done. Sometimes after I've checked my Emails, the news etc. I sit at my computer with "I demand something from the internet!" in my head while looking at my book marks as if anything has changed, but it's over, there's no more real nuggets or interest to be had.
 ShamanofDawn
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:41:04 PM
I am "on facebook" most of the day..but mostly because it's on my smartphone... i get alerts or whatever and i check it and move on... I mostly talk to family, REAL friends (not FB friends) and I have made quite a few professional connections there as well.

Also I have been chatting with a really cute boy on the there who is also a writer :D
 nipoleon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:44:36 AM
Facebook is the " black hole " of the internet which sucks everything into it and nothing ever comes out.

I can't believe how much time girls must spend finding cute puppy and kitten pictures to post.
There are some people who can't get through the day without telling everyone how much they love God or Jesus or
their brothers and sisters or their parents or grandparents or whoever else they can think of.

No matter how important you think your political posts are, it's like bouncing a nerf ball off a brick wall.

I never put anything personal or communicate anything personal to anyone on Facebook.
I don't trust the privacy.

I amuse myself collecting all the outrageous pictures and cartoons I find and post them all on Saturday morning.
 HonestDeception
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/15/2013 5:02:51 PM
On that note - why do people post pics of food, clothes, pets, people that they downloaded from the internet and have no connection to? Sadly, I use Facebook as a distraction when I don't want to clean or study. I would not call it an addiction. When I am busy or outside I have no use for Facebook. Its all about time management. You can have your life and include Facebook. You cannot make Facebook your life though.
 Akizzej
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:08:16 AM
I too am one of the vacillators connected with WasteBook... took a lot of thinking to pare down my 'social' list from something like 112 to 35, and even then, some of the folks are on 'restricted' list... {best thing was getting rid of the toxic repostarded who would always repost the hoaxes, the freebies and the bl**dy nonsense}

instead of using PC {lots of sitting down} I gloss through on the iPad around lunchtime, and maybe in the evenings... I am subscribed to some interesting groups, as I have a child on the Autism Spectrum and this helps with some support and information finding - but I keep participation to a minimum.

Now my time is instead taken up working out with cardio and weights, only took me two months to drop the 40lb I gained all of last two years sitting on my arse playing those games... as others have suggested, fill up your life with something else... being an at home carer for my son, I am getting a few things organised here - that I chose not to do opting instead for WasteBook, and life now seems so much more clearer. {heck, I might even get a daytime date once in a while in the future :) }

good luck with it...
 cooldog65
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2013 7:07:27 AM

Allow computer to meet shotgun... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 Albvs
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:58:35 PM
^^ Congratulations!

Now just email your former FB friends and tell them to contact you that way.
 CharminC
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/19/2013 5:39:40 PM
Unless its the friends are the source of the depression not facebook. FB is merely the outlet.
 ladywilltravel
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/19/2013 8:19:13 PM
Agree with #19. Perhaps a mental reminder that anything posted on the internet is PERMANENT. Posting to keep in touch with friends also potentially posts to the residents of the world.
 4ms4me
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:54:22 AM
FB annoys me, so I don't have much trouble staying off it - mostly just use it to keep tabs on family.

POF Forums, however, are another matter entirely. *sigh*
 ErikJason
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/22/2013 2:59:19 PM
I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with FB, A.K.A "the Time Sponge". At the moment I have it deactivated, but it never really goes away. That, in itself, is not to my liking.
 BHVet
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/23/2013 7:50:57 PM
Had a page for about...let's see, maybe 3 hours. I was in Anchorage, AK visiting my daughter and her family and my cellphone nearly caught fire after I activated the dang thing. Googled "Delete FB profile" and never looked back. Don't tweet either. I felt the whole experience was 100% out of my control after creating the profile, I got friend requests from people I had not seen in 40 years....it just kind of took over.

Someone said to me that it is a great way to keep up with friends and family. I use a phone or drive over but that's just me.
 theritefoot
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/12/2013 8:34:39 PM
I REALLY REALLY hate FB, and I plan to dedicate the rest of my life to educating people
about how much FB sucks.

FB SUCKS!!!!!

It really does.

It's a total waste of time.

The people who matter in your life are the people with whom you talk on the phone and spend time with.

The FB "friends" are a waste of time.

Getting off FB freed up the time to do many of the things that I'd been neglecting.

Close your FB account and I promise that you won't regret it.
 Luthion
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2013 6:37:08 AM
I don't have any real connection to Facebook. The problem is that most people do. It's like you can't even communicate with them half the time without *having* to use it.

I found out a while ago that simply by deactivating my Facebook for a few days, people were suddenly clamouring to find out where I was and contacting me. It was quite the eye opener.
 Soul Union
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:22:53 PM

How to stay off Facebook. --- yana_louise

I have an old friend in Christchurch called Brian, from England. He is one of life's characters. He is what I would call a minimalist. He spoke about cellphones and Facebook and Twitter and all the rest of it in this manner: "Why would I bother? It's just something else to get addicted to," and got on with his life, in the real world.

I am the same. I wouldn't 'join' Facebook if you paid me. You'd have to throw me to the ground, stomp on my head, threaten my life before I would even consider joining this nonsense. I get by astonishingly well without it, as did my parents and their parents. I also get by splendidly without cellphones. I am not that important that I need to be walking down the street while making a telephone call. I have a telephone at home if I need to get in touch with people. Anything else is super neurotic. And I don't want that in my life.

- Peter
 theritefoot
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/13/2013 11:56:42 PM
I left FB and never looked back. I always thought it was a total waste of time. Especially boring
were the constant silly updates, so and so is at such and such place eating chocolate cake, blah blah
who gives a sh**?
Silly.
Lose FB and go back to reality. The people who care about you will CALL you and arrange to have drinks or dinner.

I will say that FB was educational in some ways. I had some "friends" on there who had maxed out their "friends" at 5000 or whatever the limit is, so I imaigine that all they do all day long is goof around with FB.

The other really annoying thing was that some of the dumbest asses I have ever known would post daily updates dealing with advice for living....the irony being that these were some of the biggest losers you've ever seen. I'm talking about posting platitudes on a daily basis, as if the rest of us were waiting for these goofy updates with bated breath.

FB is for attention whores and people who don't have real lives. Some of the most successful people I know have never signed up for FB and never will.
 Cheeky_Ass
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/28/2013 1:11:30 AM
before you deactivate/delete your account, you should go through and delete all your photos if you have any.
Facebook will never delete your photos for you, whether your account is closed or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >