Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deere_rancher
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquettePage 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^^^
I have nothing to hide , but that doesn't mean a woman ..can't dig up, or take things out of context, or connect a series of unrelated events ..!

Besides , I wouldn't want my brother , looking thru my phone and getting all up in my business
 Paderic
Msg: 52
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 4:38:01 PM

But guys , did you learn nothing from Tiger Woods ??

What I learned may not be what others learned. Mostly I learned something I already knew, that if you lie and sneak around behind your spouse's back it will eventually bite you in the posterior.

I also learned that trophy wives are expensive, but I already knew that too.
 sigungq
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:07:17 PM
OP, this is a great reason for not dating any woman under 40. They are the up and coming generation of Borg. Soon, they will get implants, and be permanently assimilated into a collective and transform into the true mindless automatons they are so fervently striving to become today.
 Nj2ut
Msg: 54
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:31:22 PM
[Quote]What do you have to hide???

So you wouldn't have a problem with a date just going through your purse?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 55
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:34:13 PM
Tiger Woods taught me that if you cheat on a classy stunner with a series of trashy ho-bags who aren't half as pretty as she is, the classy stunner will go totally street on your ass and fück up your car.

I have no need for this degree of security on my devices, but the fingerprint thing sounds like fun! And it'd give the snoopy date time to get back to her own seat because she'd realize right away she can't get in.

But wait, then y'all would never know she was so snoopy...

Maybe it's better without.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 56
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:37:29 PM
I think if you feel the need to snoop, you are very insecure.. If there is no trust, there is no relationship. I would be ticked if a man snooped through my things and I wouldnt disrespect his either. JMHO
 deere_rancher
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:45:11 PM
But wait, then y'all would never know she was so snoopy...

Helen , its way beyond that , the phone buzzes every 2 minutes , alerting you that there was a failed log in attempt ..

I recommend it to everyone
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 58
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:49:50 PM
Cell phone on the table is fine, I concern myself more with the habits they employ when they use it. Snooping through it especially when you're on a first date screams RUN LIKE HELL to me. Insecurity issues would be my guess.

Cell phone being used constantly during a first date is horrible etiquette especially for the reasons she stated. I have need to be able to be contacted at all times due to work, this includes Christmas, 3 am's, or any other scenario you can come up with. The phone is an inanimate object, don't blame the phone, blame the person using it. On the table or in your pocket is the same scenario, it's still there. If you can't control how you use it, the problem isn't the phone.

And security features on phones aren't just for nosy spouses or girlfriends. It keeps your personal info safe in the event your phone is ever stolen.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 5:51:46 PM
I have big pockets and keep my cell phone there. Because I am easily distracted, I put my phone on vibrate. I have no kids and I don't work with any kind of emergency response. I don't believe in snooping. My phone is password locked.

If I am expecting an important call/text, I let the person I'm visiting with know beforehand. This doesn't only apply to dates.

I may just have to bring it out to show the person I'm with a poem called "Entrapment: The Tragic True Tale of Trevor's Trapped Testicle"
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15672808.aspx
 spirited-won
Msg: 60
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 6:15:39 PM
I used to bring my cellphone with me to every date. I may have used my cell on a date but just to answer someone I needed to talk too later or in case of emergencies...etc. Mostly it was in my purse. My last first date...I left it in my purse the whole time and never took it out. We were having such a great time talking that it didn't occur to me it was there. However, afterward, I took heck from well-meaning friends who were concerned about me that I didn't answer. Personally I think it's fair to give your date the respect to leave the phone out of sight and only check periodically to make sure all is ok otherwise.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 61
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:52:59 PM
I have my phone on me (in a pocket) when away from home. I have it set to vibrate to alert me of a message, whether a text or a call. I do not send text messages to anyone or answer text messages when out with my boyfriend or a girlfriend. My boyfriend has his phone in his pocket. We do need to be available for our families in case of an emergency. If a family member called, I would answer, as this would indicate an emergency. I have never, nor would I look at his phone. To me his phone is as private as his wallet. LOL I know common sense isn't very common but it just seems this is common sense. Politeness and respect should be the "Norm".
 msright78
Msg: 62
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:00:18 PM
WOW firstly, when ur on a date, ur not supposed to be on ur phone. That's just rude.

The last time I went out on date about a year ago, neither me or my date were on the phone. I was enjoying the conversation and paying attention to him and what he had to say.

Ppl who are on their cellphones during a date, need not go on a second date ever with that person. Simply just bail on their aSS!

Wow if my date ever snooped my phone on our first date, I would never want to date that person.

I thought my ex was a bit paranoid in making me download an app to lock my phone but now i think about it's a great idea. Even he went into my cellphone and saw some text messages.

But he had open the door for me to snoop with his things, and so I did and obviously it didn't make him feel any better but now he knows. Meh whatever bygones
 grove_22
Msg: 63
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:20:50 PM
Leaving a cell phone on the table is okay. Constant texting and looking at the other person's phone without permission is rude.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 64
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:45:58 PM
I don't mind if a person without pockets puts their cell on the table, especially face down, but it they are taking or making calls or texting while we are on the date, I'm not going to put up with that. I had one date with a guy who was texting almost the entire time. Since we were in a sports bar, the food was good, we had good seats at the bar with good views of the game, and the guys on my other side were a lot of fun, I figured my date wouldn't care if I ignored him, since he was already ignoring me. He really didn't even notice, and I ended up having a great time without his sorry azz.

If I am expecting an important call/text, I let the person I'm visiting with know beforehand. This doesn't only apply to dates.

Ditto.

I never leave my phone or my purse where someone else could go through them, and would never snoop into someone else' stuff. That is beyond rude.

OP, I'd suggest that next time if you have pockets where you can stash your phone, set it to vibrate, pocket it and leave the table to take that emergency call so that your privacy is maintained and no one sitting around you can hear the details of your personal situation.
 FSU9144
Msg: 65
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/11/2013 11:23:08 PM
I always keep mine in my purse. I never use it, unless it's an emergency.
 orange_hill
Msg: 66
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 6:51:42 AM
When someone calls me during a date, I will check to see who it is. I will only answer the phone for a small amount of people. If it's not an emergency, I will call that person back later. Also a common safety tip is letting someone know where you are. That person can be calling you to make sure you are okay. That is quite different than a person constantly texting or talking on the phone during a date.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 67
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:00:46 AM

When someone calls me during a date, I will check to see who it is

Why can't you people see that this is EXTREMELY rude? After you checked your phone, you would discover I'm GONE. I realize that with young people this is becoming the norm but not with me.. and I doubt it ever will be. If you feel the need to check your phone, excuse your inconsiderate ass from the table, go the restroom or something, and check your appendage.

You all act like there are constant "emergencies" in your life. THERE AREN'T. Most of you will NEVER have an emergency requiring you to have access to a phone in you entire life. Get over yourselves and just admit you have some kind of weird addiction. Maybe they should start a group for you.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 68
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:01:26 AM
Lol, you messed up your first date because you left your phone on the table. The second date was a loser from the get go. If I left my phone on the table the woman would get calls from bill collectors. I hate to miss those kind of calls because I want to let them know that I am sure the money is coming if not this year then the year after. I hope by the year 2045 that they will quit calling. I hope I can find some women to leave my phone with.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:08:39 AM

*shrug* Where else am I going to place it? As I have already stated I VERY rarely carry a purse into a venue and am often in a dress with no pockets.

Especially with these newer phones, that so big won't even fit in a regular pocket.
I wouldn't have a problem with phone on the table. Talking/texting during a date IS rude, IMO.

Geeze. There is a major difference in getting together for a meet and having sex.
I think you have major control issues.....

+1.
 orange_hill
Msg: 70
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:09:00 AM

Why can't you people see that this is EXTREMELY rude? After you checked your phone, you would discover I'm GONE. I realize that with young people this is becoming the norm but not with me.. and I doubt it ever will be. If you feel the need to check your phone, excuse your inconsiderate ass from the table, go the restroom or something, and check your appendage.

It takes a split second to check my phone. If I decided to answer the call, then I will excuse myself. If someone lost interest in me because of this, so be it. Most likely I would not be compatible with someone that makes a mountain out of a mole hill.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 71
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:12:42 AM
Most likely I would not be compatible with someone that makes a mountain out of a mole hill

No most likely about it. I am definitely not compatible with someone who can't make it through meal without a phone glued to their ass. God only knows what kind of emotional withdraw you people have when you have to sit through a 2 hour movie without your "precious"....
 ThisIsExistence
Msg: 72
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:14:03 AM
you messed up your first date because you left your phone on the table.

He messed up the date?

He got lucky, actually.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:19:03 AM
Also if I am out with someone who is a mother, and her phone rings, she says it's my kid I'll get it later, it would be a turn off!
I would absolutely be OK with her answering that call, it could be some emergency.
I will always take a call form my daughter, or even from my ex when my daughter is with her.
Course keep it short.
 pescando75
Msg: 74
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:43:05 AM
I can see it with kids, but so many parents are "text buddies" with their kids, the texts never stop flowing.
*OH LORD* any one of those mssgs could be an EMERGENCY, as they've conditioned themselves to treat every mssg as such.

I think if you are a parent, you say CALL ME if there is an EMERGENCY. You don't have the kid text in an emergency.
That way you don't have to treat EVERY mssg as an emergency.

While understandable, I had a woman constantly texting her kids while we were out. I just knew we weren't a match, and I'd need someone who's capable of their own time for dating and kids that can respect that too of their parent.

I dunno...I find most peoples' lives are kinda out of control with lots of drama if they need to be on the things constantly. Definitely a turn off.
 GrayJake40
Msg: 75
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:13:44 AM
"You all act like there are constant "emergencies" in your life. THERE AREN'T. "--- stupidoo

Constant? No. Just takes the one time... and with a phonecall, I will be there. She's my little girl. She's the part of my heart that can't be broken. Actually, my mom is like 157 years old. If she calls, I'm answering it. Period. My dad told me to take care of her when he's gone. So I do, and I will. And btw, I didn't have a father. I had a dad. And when he was dying, my brother called me to get there. He called me on a cellphone, thank you very much. I got the chance to be there, asap. He died a few minutes after. Having my cellphone at the ready paid off.
It wouldn't have mattered what I was doing, or who I was with. Nothing else was as important, at that moment.

So, if you really want to blow this topic out of proportion, so be it.

As far as if having sex... and having my phone, blah blah blah... THAT sure went far from just having an initial dinner with a first date! Ok, so anyway, so what if I try to make a little video during sex?! It's awesome! LOL

Stupidoo ( btw I love calling you that), You sure do read into things way more than what is said. Just sayin.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette