Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThisIsExistence
Msg: 76
Cell phone etiquettePage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
How about that scene on Millionaire Matchmaker where, on their date, the guy called up the girl's father to touch base? (Yes, it went well.)
Can't do that without using your phone.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 77
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:33:32 AM

Just takes the one time... and with a phonecall, I will be there. She's my little girl.

Oh dry my eyes ...

I'd love to see some of you that can't make it through a dinner on an 8 hour plane flight going through withdraws crawling around on your bellies.. shouting "my precious" "my precious" .....
 Maleman999
Msg: 78
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 10:10:38 AM
The place where I see the effects of cell phone etiquette the most is in the work place. I remember when going to the lunchroom on a break or for lunch meant talking to people and shooting the breeze with co-workers and it was more of a social atmosphere. But now when I go into the work lunchroom, almost everyone is totally focused into their cell phones and has totally blocked out the rest of the world. If I was to walk in there and say Hi to someone I know, there's a 50/50 chance they would say Hi back, depending on how deeply they're focused in the text messages. There is no conversation after that. It's like walking into zombie land and seeing the living dead. A lot of workers even go standing in the parking lot on every break to make sure there are no distractions from their holy cell phones.

Most places of work have a no cell phone use during work policy. But for many of the the under 30 crowd, that's not to be taken seriously. I've seen so many who are constantly sneaking a peak or sneaking a text message all day when they're suppose to be working. They can't wait until the next break. When they're caught by the boss, they almost all use the excuse that they have to look in case there's a family emergency. A lot of these people suddenly have a sick uncle or grandparent who is on their death bed or a sick child that they have to check on every 15 minutes all day, even though there's a good chance this sick relative doesn't exist or their child isn't sick. It's obvious because they do it everyday for however long they've been working for the company.
 pescando75
Msg: 79
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 10:42:10 AM
^^^. Absolutely. Noticed the same things myself, and no talking after work either like walking out to our cars. Everyone has the phone to the ear or are walking and texting out to the car too. Must be SO addictive for some. They can't put them down. And they have no idea of the changes that have happened to them as a result.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 80
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 11:12:52 AM

Must be SO addictive for some. They can't put them down

This RIGHT HERE is what everyone is in complete denial about. They are indeed addicted to the phones. Texting, Twitter, Facebook, POF, you name it. All this crap about kids and emergencies is just an excuse they use so they can remain in denial about it .. they simply can't be "cut off" from their "precious" for any length of time and it's truly pathetic.

When you go to work, enter a restaurant, get in your car, etc turn the damn phones off. I promise you, your life will go on.
 pescando75
Msg: 81
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 11:49:32 AM
I agree Stubi, but I think your delivery may be a little too adamant for some. LOL!
It is funny, on OKC they ask the "6 things you cannot live without." It was a great filter.
If cell phone was on that list (and it was, sadly, about 60-70% of the time) I knew I would not be a match with that person WHATSOEVER.

POF: add a "do you use a smart phone?" question like that for cigarettes, drugs and alcohol, please.
The addictive nature seems to be on par, if not worse!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 82
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 12:06:00 PM
I use a smartphone, and definitely couldn't live without it as I have no landline, and I agree with Stubidooo 100% on this. I don't even pull out my phone while out having a casual drink with my brother or cousin, never mind a friend or a date! Unless they want to see recent photos that are on it, or we're all trying to remember the name of That Actor or That Singer, then I would. But that's about sharing and communicating with them, not with people who aren't present.

Like I said earlier, my brother and I somehow miraculously survived our parents having the occasional night out before people had cell phones, and I'm really pretty sure it can be done now too. So this whole "my child might have an emergency" thing is ridiculous. They don't happen any more now than they did then. And if you do have a situation ongoing such as a very ill relative, wherein you might get The Call any minute, you should be at the hospital or hospice, or resting at home, and not on a date anyway.

I'm not totally unbending on this - I will make an exception for people who are on call for work. Nine times out of ten, they don't call you, so there's no reason not to go out, but you do actually need your phone handy in case they do (though I'd still prefer it not be on the table). That's okay. But when someone just simply can't let go of his/her phone, well, they can go and date someone else who behaves the same way and the two of them can date each other's phones, I don't care, just leave me out of it.
 melissa0607
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:22:22 PM

Like I said earlier, my brother and I somehow miraculously survived our parents having the occasional night out before people had cell phones, and I'm really pretty sure it can be done now too. So this whole "my child might have an emergency" thing is ridiculous. They don't happen any more now than they did then. And if you do have a situation ongoing such as a very ill relative, wherein you might get The Call any minute, you should be at the hospital or hospice, or resting at home, and not on a date anyway.

This plus 1

When did everything in life become such an emergency? We all survived when our parents didn't have cell phones, matter of fact we as kids survived without them too. It blows my mind how many small children have phones. Yes, you are a parent but I assume that either the child's mother is watching him/her or someone else that you trust enough to leave your child with. If there is an emergency they are there to handle it. You can check your phone while you are in the men's room or whatnot but to leave it out on the table is so rude. I don't do it and I don't like it done to me. If your pants are too tight for a phone in your pocket then invest in a belt clip for it. It's not rocket science. People need to stop making excuses for their bad behavior.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 84
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:29:49 PM
You all act like there are constant "emergencies" in your life. THERE AREN'T. Most of you will NEVER have an emergency requiring you to have access to a phone in you entire life.
ACTUALLY I HAVE. I have Medical Durable Power of Attorney for my mother, aunt, and close friend. My mother has had emergency surgery(cell phone notified), my aunt had triple by-pass surg. and was rushed back into surg. early the next morning (cell phone notified), and my close friend needed me when her husband died suddenly (cell phone notified). She has designated me as her MDPOA, as her children live 3 hours away. I worked in a medical profession (hospital/ER) for 30 years. Most of those years BEFORE cell phones. Thank heavens we NOW have cell phones! ....I'm all for/ do believe, there should be polite cell phone etiquette. I am hardly attached to my phone but there are REAL reasons I have it with me!
 sigungq
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:36:59 PM
When I go out with friends, or even by myself. I leave the cell phone in the car. After all, if I meet someone I like, I don't want to appear rude in the least. I can always check for messages when I get back in the car. Of course, since I have no family, and very few friends, the only messages I get are usually business, and those are always during business hours.
 Maleman999
Msg: 86
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:39:02 PM
^^^ (Msg. 87): Would any of those surgeries been delayed if there were no cell phones? Would it have been impossible to get a hold of you and notify you if you had a land line phone? There were phones available before cell phones.

(Msg. 88): That's what I do too-leave my cell phone in my car. A lot of times I forget to bring it in the house and recharge it. That's why I got a cell phone for anyway-in case I'm stranded by the road side. Before I had the car I have now, I had a clunker that was breaking down all of the time, and sometimes it's hard to find a pay phone to call for a tow truck.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 87
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:45:07 PM

This RIGHT HERE is what everyone is in complete denial about. They are indeed addicted to the phones. Texting, Twitter, Facebook, POF, you name it. All this crap about kids and emergencies is just an excuse they use so they can remain in denial about it .. they simply can't be "cut off" from their "precious" for any length of time and it's truly pathetic.

When you go to work, enter a restaurant, get in your car, etc turn the damn phones off. I promise you, your life will go on.

Everyone would mean everyone, no exclusions, correct? Now Imagine you're running 6 trucks with 12 employees performing services on an emergency basis 24/7/365. You have CONTRACTS to provide these services, when these obligations are NOT met. Money is lost, services are lost, your ass, WILL be in a ringer. No pun intended. Would you be bold enough to entrust your own future to someone else by passing off the answering of the phone duties? You'd be a fool. I think you made your stance clear in your very first post, rambling on about it and belittling others in your next 4 posts, is just, wow. What you deem as an emergency and what another would deem as such are not going to be the same. It doesn't mean they are in denial.

Something else that may or may not have been mentioned, this is POF, you're meeting up with a total stranger for the most part. In the case of women I will almost expect for them to either send an "I'm ok" message or to receive one asking. In my experience I'd say it has been 50/50, maybe 1/2 went to the bathroom to do this. I'm not going to write anyone off for having a phone with them, if they can't get away from it the entire time that is a different story entirely. Anyone that did, I would have to think they are just being overly anal about it. IF, I get to the point of having to explain to a date what I do for a living, so far all have been understanding of it. I don't spend the entire time with the thing glued to my head, I conduct my business in a timely fashion, make a quick text to dispatch the truck, and then get off the thing. And yes, I will excuse myself when the need to use it arises. It is what it is, what I do is very similar to emergency services like police , fire, or EMS, when I get a call, I MUST answer it. Addiction has nothing to do with it.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 88
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 4:08:19 PM

It is what it is, what I do is very similar to emergency services like police , fire, or EMS, when I get a call, I MUST answer it.

And here we have the most extreme example of all - someone who actually WILL interrupt sex to answer the phone! That was used hyperbolically earlier in the thread, but here it is in actuality.

Get a part-time dispatcher, for God's sake.
 John255317
Msg: 89
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 4:16:03 PM
Common sense comes into play as far as needing a cell phone laying on the dinner table!!!!.....I have two sons I love dearly and they are over 29. I am still there in a heartbeat if either had an emergency in their family. BUT, I will not put a cell phone on the table during dinner or when on a date. Doesn't matter how old your children are, you as a parent are always there for them and anything else is secondary, but to live in "fear", to have that cell phone addiction that you have to be glued to it mentally as well as physically is not right. At least for the one you are with it is not right. Again, common sense can make any person still be able to be there in an emergency, without the damn phone on the table. I see it more as an addiction, whether people really think so or not. I will right more later but I have to get my phone from the other room, it has been two minutes since it has been "away" and that was so stupid of me!! The earth could have been attacked or some other crisis could have started and I missed it!!
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 90
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 5:05:12 PM

And here we have the most extreme example of all - someone who actually WILL interrupt sex to answer the phone! That was used hyperbolically earlier in the thread, but here it is in actuality.

Sure, I specifically stated in my post that I WILL interrupt sex with someone to answer the phone. Read it again. Pointing out something I never said is a great argument. As nicely as I can say it, it only made you look presumptuous.

Secondly, considering you have NO idea what exactly is involved with my business or the legal ramifications I face, you could not possibly offer me ANY type of logical solution. You may think it is as simple as hiring a dispatcher, it isn't. If it were, I would have done that years ago.

I answer when it is necessary, not as a way of life. I don't own a smart phone, I text minimally. But, I guess I am at fault and HORRIBLY addicted as well as in denial, because I choose to be hands on with the decisions of MY business.
 ScientificExperiment
Msg: 91
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 5:39:34 PM
I think the person commenting about having the phone on during sex, made a valid point. If you can turn it off for an hour for that, or 2 hours for a movie, why not an hour or two for a dinner? You can always go old school and get the number for the restaurant and provide the number for the kid. If the child is young, I am assuming there is the other parent or a babysitter with the child. If the child is older and alone, they would be capable of calling a restaurant.

I will only leave my phone on long enough until everyone gets there, and then it is off. You can "what if and the sky is falling" forever.

Having said that....totally wrong to text all through the meal. Even more wrong to snoop through your phone. 100% Somewhat wrong to have the phone on the table on a date. (unless there was something specific like....sister is about to go into labour, kid at home is sick etc) where there is a reasonable chance you might get called. (and you were being polite to not cancel the date) Otherwise, might be nice to just give the restaurant number. Not a deal breaker but it would be also cause for concern.
 sigungq
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:18:58 PM
HelenBackAgain wrote:

Helen, Dispatchers cost money, and this guy obviously values money and material things over love or a partner. Some people do. It's just a different set of values. Most people like that end up alone, or having a partner that uses them for their money but goes elsewhere for sex and love. And many times they are OK with that. I have a brother who married miss NY State. He needed a trophy on his arm, as he owns a seat on the American stock exchange. He rarely had time for her, and she went off and had an active love/sex life elsewhere, and my brother was fine with it. He just needed her on his arm for those occasional socialite functions to show off, then he was back to work, and she was off to her life. Some people are like that.
 grove_22
Msg: 93
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:29:07 PM
I think most people will agree that constant texting during a date is rude. I don't mind a brief text or phone call though. As mentioned by a few posters, women that I went out on dates would let someone know that they are okay. I don't think spending a minute on the cell phone during a date means that they are addicted to a cell phone or the cell phone is a distraction. There is a realistic chance that they ignored other calls or texts during the date.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 94
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:41:35 PM
Helen, Dispatchers cost money, and this guy obviously values money and material things over love or a partner. Some people do. It's just a different set of values. Most people like that end up alone, or having a partner that uses them for their money but goes elsewhere for sex and love. And many times they are OK with that. I have a brother who married miss NY State. He needed a trophy on his arm, as he owns a seat on the American stock exchange. He rarely had time for her, and she went off and had an active love/sex life elsewhere, and my brother was fine with it. He just needed her on his arm for those occasional socialite functions to show off, then he was back to work, and she was off to her life. Some people are like that

See what I mean about the assumptions? Because I don't hire a dispatcher, I'm materialistic and place a higher value on money and possessions than I do a lover or partner. Let me eliminate the mystery for you, hiring a dispatcher would be great, however, it would also not be economically viable. In a perfect world I would just sit at home and endorse checks when they roll in. I'd even hire someone to wash my balls for me, when I golf I mean. Comparing me, someone you know nothing about to your brother, am I the only one who sees a problem in this logic? This comparison is irrelevant.
 Dreamcatcher1510
Msg: 95
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 5:59:22 AM
I agree with you. Total violation of privacy and shows bad manners.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 96
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:13:54 AM

Now Imagine you're running 6 trucks with 12 employees performing services on an emergency basis 24/7/365. You have CONTRACTS to provide these services

I don't want to imagine it. If that were my life, I would kill myself. The term "get a life" seems to fit you perfectly.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 97
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 2:31:44 PM

I don't want to imagine it. If that were my life, I would kill myself. The term "get a life" seems to fit you perfectly.

See? Even more assumptions. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, from wherever I choose to do it from. As long as I can be reached by telephone. As always, your lips move but all I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Cell phones are obviously evil and anyone who uses one more than you, or in a manner you do not agree with, is addicted and in denial about it. That being said, we got by without cable tv therefore, it must also be evil. Add in any other technological advance that we now have which was unavailable 25 years ago.

Killing yourself sounds a little unstable and over dramatic doesn't it? Why am I not surprised at these words. The only thing that concerns me with cell phones is how often you stick it up to your ear or are staring down at it with your thumbs working away. I don't care where you leave it. I just find it amusing that by leaving it on the table or god forbid, answering it because it may be necessary to do so. That people are addicted. This is why I am courteous when I have to answer, and keep it as brief as possible. If I spent the entire date on the phone or staring at it, I'd fully expect to catch hell for doing it because I would surely give it if the situation were reversed.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 98
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 2:41:58 PM
I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, from wherever I choose to do it from. As long as I can be reached by telephone

No.. *I* get to do whatever I want whenever I want without being on call 24/7. You apparently can't even enter a movie theater where phones have to be turned off or even have sex without a phone within reach.. your life sucks from my point of view and I wouldn't want it.

This is why I am courteous when I have to answer

All I hear is blah blah blah...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 99
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:58:22 PM

(Grayjake40) My question I guess is, is there no cellphone etiquette on dates???

It's determined by what a person will put up with.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 100
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:11:00 PM

(mikaire) What do you have to hide???

Ah, the battle-cry of the terminally nosy, no-respect-f0r-boundaries people... I was curious as to how long it was gonna take to rear its ugly head... guess we all know n0w...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette