Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 101
Cell phone etiquettePage 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, from wherever I choose to do it from. As long as I can be reached by telephone

No.. *I* get to do whatever I want whenever I want without being on call 24/7. You apparently can't even enter a movie theater where phones have to be turned off or even have sex without a phone within reach.. your life sucks from my point of view and I wouldn't want it.

This is why I am courteous when I have to answer

All I hear is blah blah blah...

This is your typical answer, it is not required by law to turn a phone off in a movie theater. It is a courtesy to other patrons to silence the ringer so you do not disturb their movie experience. A movie theater is not an airplane with sophisticated electronic devices that your cell phones signal can disrupt, which is why you are REQUIRED to turn them off on an airplane when asked along with ANY other electronic devices. A movie theater it is done so as not to disturb the movie for others, it doesn't threaten their lives. As long as they don't hear it or you aren't having a conversation on it disturbing others, you are perfectly fine leaving it on vibrate.

And I know you're smart enough to know my comment about courtesy was in regards to cell phone usage, not you. I can run my business and earn an income from wherever I am. And why does everyone keep bringing up sex when not once have I mentioned it. I can have a window of up to an hour to return a call. I hardly think this is going to cause a huge inconvenience in any area of my life. Keep making your assumptions.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 102
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:13:16 PM

(HelenBackAgain) I have no need for this degree of security on my devices, but the fingerprint thing sounds like fun! And it'd give the snoopy date time to get back to her own seat because she'd realize right away she can't get in.

Hey, she might be of a mind to cut off your finger(s)...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 103
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:22:33 PM
(Quasimodo11543) This is your typical answer, it is not required by law to turn a phone off in a movie theater. It is a courtesy to other patrons to silence the ringer so you do not disturb their movie experience.

It's not required by law to answer a cheerful greeting with a likewise cheerful response. Saying, "Fvck you sideways!" is perfectly legal.

I don't determine my manners by what's "legal", but by what's right. So yes, that does mean that I turn my cell-phone off in a movie theatre, and expect others to do likewise.

A movie theater it is done so as not to disturb the movie for others, it doesn't threaten their lives.

So, if it isn't specifically prohibited by law, it's peachy-keen neato to do?
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 104
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 5:20:42 PM
(sighs) The key in this equation of a movie theater is, not disturbing others. How you choose to do this is entirely up to you as long as the GOAL is achieved. I'm sorry you can not grasp this. You can expect others to do anything you want, having them do it is their choice. I expect people to apply logic or thought to problems. No, not really.

I don't turn my phone off, I silence the ringer, it is MY choice, I am not breaking a law I achieve the GOAL. Not once has anyone ever complained that my phone was a disturbance however. One girl did ask to borrow it as she had been single for some time and the vibrating sound reminded her of her favorite sex toy that had broken. How could I refuse?

So, if it isn't specifically prohibited by law, it's peachy-keen neato to do?

Yes, that's what I said word for word. Nice try. The topic was cell phone etiquette.

It's not required by law to answer a cheerful greeting with a likewise cheerful response. Saying, "Fvck you sideways!" is perfectly legal.

This falls under courtesy mostly. But, I wouldn't try it with a judge, in that case, it is illegal. They call it contempt of court. Do it to John Q Public, it's just rude, possibly illegal, that whole 1st amendment thing and what is deemed to be "harmful" speech. A poor example for comparisons on your part.
 sigungq
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:15:03 PM
OK Quasimodo11543,

Let's take your assertions to their conclusion. Let's advance technology so we no longer need cell phones. You just get micro-chip implants in your brain, nano-probes to take over your autonomic functions, and get completely plugged in to a collective consciousness. You will have no privacy whatsoever, as everything you think, see, feel, hear, taste, and touch is shared by everyone in the collective. Now you can have all the time you want for a love life or whatever else amuses you. Is this where you are going?
 deere_rancher
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:30:44 PM
, it is not required by law to turn a phone off in a movie theater.

Not exactly true, the theater has the right and authority , to have you ejected
. for violations of their policies.
 Sunrise_Sunshine
Msg: 107
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:32:02 PM
When you went to the bathroom, you should have taken your phone with you. On the other hand, if you didn't , you wouldn't have realized that she was nosey.

Is your phone password protected?
 grove_22
Msg: 108
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 7:27:24 PM
In a movie theater, you can put the phone on vibrate and leave the room if you needed to take a call.
 Maleman999
Msg: 109
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 7:50:46 PM

In a movie theater, you can put the phone on vibrate and leave the room if you needed to take a call.

Why bother going to the show if answering your cell phone or anxiously waiting for a text message is going to be priority #1, especially if you're there with a date? The better option is to wait for the movie to come out on DVD so you can watch it at home and pause it every time your phone rings or whenever you feel like sending out a text during the movie.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 110
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 7:58:23 PM

During dinner, I excused myself to go to the restroom. I was gone just a few minutes. Our seating arrangement placed her with her back to the men's restroom. So, she couldn't see when I was returning.

But, when I was returning, I saw that she had switched sides, to "my" side. Okay, that's fine. But she hadn't moved her plate or drink or anything.
We chatted about stuff... Made plans for drinks. But she was acting differently. Hard to explain. Anyway, I noticed that my cellphone was facedown. I never lay my phone down facedown. I bring it with me because of my daughter. I once got an emergency call from her and did not have my phone with me at the time.. So, now I always have it.
Anyway, turns out, my date had went through my phone "a little bit" while I was in the bathroom. That fast!
I didn't make a huge deal about it then, but that also killed the date. She giggled and apologised and said that she was the curious type, etc. I just stayed mostly quiet. Once we finished dinner, I told her that I had to go. I walked her to her car and told her have a great night... And I bailed.

How rude and invasive. You were right not to see her again. But, look at it differently: 1) You shouldn't have left your cell phone there. Simple as that. 2) Only a girl who is HIGHLY INTERESTED would go through your phone. She's trying to figure out what makes you tick and if there's anyone else.... You might reconsider dumping her.

A week before that, on a date with a different woman, she basically stayed on her phone the entire time. She wanted to take a pic of "us' to send to her friend. And she texted most of the night away, because her friend was on a date as well with a "strange" man. I got fed up at one point, and said something. She put her phone down for roughly two minutes. WHY why why why! Oh yeah, I bought her phone a drink, and I told her since I'm dating both of you tonight.... LOL
I bailed on her too. She sent me five texts immediately, calling me names, telling me I am insensitive. Oooh, ow my ego. The next day, she sent more. I finally answered her. I asked if her friend was safe (yes), did anything bad happen (no). But, her friend didn't trust the guy and was worried. I asked then why didn't she just leave. Or, we could have gone to her!

HA! That was GOOOOOOD! AND ORIGINAL! Never seen that done on a rude date. I'm going to try that. Glad you able to recognize that this girl has no class. Good move on dumping this chick. In the very least you've earned her respect.
 grove_22
Msg: 111
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:12:05 PM

Why bother going to the show if answering your cell phone or anxiously waiting for a text message is going to be priority #1, especially if you're there with a date? The better option is to wait for the movie to come out on DVD so you can watch it at home and pause it every time your phone rings or whenever you feel like sending out a text during the movie.

I'm not suggesting people should answer every call or text they get during a movie. My point was putting the phone on vibrate and leaving the room if they answered a phone call would not disturb other patrons.
 TheFuryan
Msg: 112
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:31:26 PM

My question I guess is, is there no cellphone etiquette on dates???

"I hate it when a guy calls a girl who did not give him her number. So this is me not calling. Over."

Alex Hitchens
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 113
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:39:39 PM

Let's take your assertions to their conclusion. Let's advance technology so we no longer need cell phones. You just get micro-chip implants in your brain, nano-probes to take over your autonomic functions, and get completely plugged in to a collective consciousness. You will have no privacy whatsoever, as everything you think, see, feel, hear, taste, and touch is shared by everyone in the collective. Now you can have all the time you want for a love life or whatever else amuses you. Is this where you are going?

This isn't even worth responding to. Lay off the wine. I have no idea where you pulled this from.

Not exactly true, the theater has the right and authority , to have you ejected
. for violations of their policies.

You're right, but again this is not going to happen until you are creating a disturbance. Which is what this was all about to begin with, etiquette. I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem when what is occurring is not bothering you in any way, shape, or form. That would just be petty.

This is exactly correct. I'm sure someone will still find fault with this. Such as, you're getting up, it blocks peoples view, so does taking a piss. Be smart, sit near the aisle like I do.

A valid point, but it isn't a matter of being constantly bombarded by calls or texts. Just a matter of what you do if it happens. Getting 1 call when you are watching a movie isn't going to ruin the entire experience now is it. Especially if not taking the call would be worse.

I worry more about people driving and using the phone. Sitting in a waiting room or restaurant and they use it loudly. They're on it constantly ignoring conversation with people sitting right there with them. I'm sure there are other things much worse than setting a phone to vibrate in a movie theater, no one hearing it go off, and excusing yourself to return a call from the lobby.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 114
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 7:20:25 AM

(Quasimodo11543) (sighs) The key in this equation of a movie theater is, not disturbing others. How you choose to do this is entirely up to you as long as the GOAL is achieved.

Well, if the only other patrons in the movie theatre are Helen Keller, then leaving your cell-phone ringer on would meet that goal. However, that is not likely to be the case. Please note that I am arguing that a ringing cell phone in a movie theatre is ONE distraction; I am not arguing that it is the ONLY distraction.

This falls under courtesy mostly. But, I wouldn't try it with a judge, in that case, it is illegal.

If your only social interaction was with judges, then your point would be significant. Otherwise, it merits a big fat "So what?"

They call it contempt of court.

Thanks for the definition, Clarence Darrow.

Do it to John Q Public, it's just rude, possibly illegal,

In no way is it illegal.

... that whole 1st amendment thing and what is deemed to be "harmful" speech.

A poor example for comparisons on your part.

If by "poor example", y0u mean "stunningly brilliant", then you are quite correct...
 GrayJake40
Msg: 115
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:03:33 AM
"Oh dry my eyes ..."''----- stupidoo.

Wow. Bitter much?

Bah, yaknow....

stupidoo, as stupidoes.

Take care, pal, have a nice day, etc.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 116
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:08:17 AM
+1 lol.. nice to know I am not the only one.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 117
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:15:56 AM

Take care, pal, have a nice day, etc.

You too gayjake... good luck with that...
 Whisky_River
Msg: 118
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:20:20 AM
+2...There are some posters you just can't argue with...that is for sure.
Seems there are a few that just post to stir people up because they argue every opinion anyone else has....like their pov is the right way and that's that!
We have the bitters and the bullies....imo.
These forums are all about people having an opinion...express it and drop it!

Edit in to below....
Big fan of the Narcissistic personality club...
Oh Stupidoo...are you a member?
I couldn't tell...lol.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 119
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:27:43 AM

there are a few that just post to stir people up

I "stir" people up.. Hmmm .. nice to have a fan club... ya'll do seem devoted...

Stubidobidooooooooooo
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 120
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 6:21:07 PM

Well, if the only other patrons in the movie theatre are Helen Keller, then leaving your cell-phone ringer on would meet that goal. However, that is not likely to be the case. Please note that I am arguing that a ringing cell phone in a movie theatre is ONE distraction; I am not arguing that it is the ONLY distraction.

Is this an argument simply for the sake of argument or are you always this obtuse. At NO point did I say my phone rings as in making a noise in a theater. If you can hear it vibrate, and it disturbs you.

I just find it amusing what people will pull out of thin air just to disagree. I gave this all more air time then it should have gotten. I know how to be courteous towards others when it comes to cell phone usage. I sometimes forget that common sense, isn't common. I just find it hard to believe how easily people will make assumptions. So, allow me to retort yet again, I'll go slower this time.

1. A cell phone is a "nuisance" if you use it in a manner that disrupts other peoples activities. A ringing cell phone in a theater, is bad form. A vibrating phone, is not. If it isn't heard, it isn't a nuisance. Unless you fart I mean, then silence isn't golden.

2. Cell phones on first dates, I don't care if it sits on the table, I only care if it's up to your ear the entire time, if it just sits there, it's about as annoying as the salt shaker to me.

3. I run a business, my office is my phone. Getting into specifics, Hospitals need service immediately SOMETIMES. This requires your office to be open 24/7. No, it does not ruin my life, nor does it inhibit a sex life. You might think it does but, some people also think the moon is made of green cheese.

4. Stoobeedoo doesn't bother me, he amuses me. I enjoy listening to the ramblings of the insanely narrow minded and bitter. It makes me feel that much better about myself. You're by no means required to like things or do things the way another person does, belittling people about it only comes across as judgmental, narcissistic, and callow. Telling someone that things are this way when they are telling you they are not that way, really? You don't live my life, you know nothing at all about it, or how I conduct things overall, therefore, anything you say is purely speculative.

Btw, how many fingers am I holding up right now?
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 121
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:57:43 PM
Well for your first story.

Was is rude of her to go through your phone, without asking? Of course it is. It is rude to go through anyone's personal belongs without asking. Especially on a first date where you are just meeting each other for the first time. Yet at the same time you are partly to blame as well. As someone mentioned you should of kept your phone in your pants or jacket pocket. That way you can still reach for it if need be. It would be even better if you had a special ring tone just for your daughter. That way if it rings you can ignore it, but if the ring tone is for your daughter you can politely take it. It would be nice to also inform you date that you might have to answer your phone if your daughter phones. Also I'm not sure what type of phone you have, but have you ever though of putting an unlock code on it? Another thing is why did you even leave your phone on the table. I never loose site of my phone and it is always on me. My phone is far to valuable to just leave on the table and have a stranger look after it.

For your Second Story.

I personally think it is rude to be constantly texting on a date. It shows that she really wasn't interested in the date itself and her friend was more interesting. I'd more the likely say a few sarcastic remarks to see if I can get my date to wake up a bit.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/15/2013 5:54:30 AM
My last gf was addicted to looking at her phone constantly, getting texts first thing in the morning and last thing at night and always, always had to answer there and then. She kept claiming that her friends liked to keep in touch. She wasn't a teenager, she was 48 (and to be honest, I thought she undercut on that too). have some respect for the person you're with because otherwise it just makes it look as though you want to be somewhere else.

I've put my phone and keys on the table before and left the phone when I've gone to get something. It's a large smart phone and if I have jeans on and no coat or jacket, I don't want to sit on it. I trust the person not to run off with it and it's autolocked anyway. I don't look at it unless I want to show my date photos that are on there.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 123
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:14:06 AM
(Quasimodo11543) I just find it amusing what people will pull out of thin air just to disagree... I just find it hard to believe how easily people will make assumptions.

And, I find it hard to believe how many people seem to think that explaining their circumstances, means that those circumstances have somehow gone away; yet, I'm confronted with the evidence that otherwise-intelligent people think and behave this way, every day.

Go ahead and argue whatever point you think is significant...
 Magritte_101
Msg: 124
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:39:11 AM
Good topic. Blaming the guy for leaving his phone on the table? Anyone should be able to leave their phone, or purse, without fear of the other going through their stuff. I have actually received contact from someone who went through one of my friend's phones. I like our OP has enough class to ask about cell phone manners. I'm annoyed when my friends stop a conversation to pick up constantly. The C-phone used to be a convenience, it's now the priority. To me, you're meeting a stranger (from a website). He/she can say anything about who they are. T/F? I would say protecting yourself is first. Whether you left your phone, or your purse, trust and privacy is important. When we write, or talk with someone from a dating site, you really only feel like you know them. On guy I met, on this site, said he was single. Then, posted a new picture of himself. One of those MySpace kind. A self portrait in a bathroom mirror. He forgot to remove his wedding ring. So funny.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 125
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:46:50 PM

And, I find it hard to believe how many people seem to think that explaining their circumstances, means that those circumstances have somehow gone away; yet, I'm confronted with the evidence that otherwise-intelligent people think and behave this way, every day.

Go ahead and argue whatever point you think is significant...

Cell phone etiquette. I stated my opinion in regards to it. You're adding nothing to the topic at hand. At no point in time is my usage of a cell phone disruptive or, disrespectful to another person. If you believe that a cell phone set to vibrate is a distraction, then you need to get your head out of my lap.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette