Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquettePage 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I always laugh at the people looking down at their phone while they're walking. Since I don't look at my phone while I'm walking, I'm aware of what is in front of me...

Especially, if it's a hot sexy body! T & A...Yeahhh!
 35brock
Msg: 152
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 7/25/2013 6:39:36 AM
I think it depends on the frequency. Yes it would be rude if someone is constantly taking phone calls. However I wouldn't mind a person having a brief phone call. It's not a bigger disruption than leaving to use the restroom. As mentioned before, women that I went out on dates would let someone know that they are okay.

I agree. 1 quick text or brief call does not mean a cell phone is distracting a person from his/her date
 floral2
Msg: 153
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 7/26/2013 6:30:44 AM
I don't get many phone calls during my dates. When I do, I only answer the phone for a very small amount of people. Unless it is an emergency, I will tell that person that I will call him or her later.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 154
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 10/30/2013 4:30:48 PM

You all act like there are constant "emergencies" in your life. THERE AREN'T. Most of you will NEVER have an emergency requiring you to have access to a phone in you entire life.

(Ladyinred4755) ACTUALLY I HAVE. I have Medical Durable Power of Attorney for my mother, aunt, and close friend.

Check his post. He said "most", not "all"...

(apparently, being able to read for content is inversely proportional to cell-phone use...)
 neveragainaka
Msg: 155
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 10/30/2013 9:18:23 PM
I had a date one time go through my phone and find naked pictures of other females in my phone.
She had the balls to mention it to me. I told her she shouldnt have gone through it, if she was worried there might be something she didn't like.

Kind of like. Don't ask questions you might not want the answer too.
 Coma_White
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 10/30/2013 9:47:01 PM

I had a date one time go through my phone and find naked pictures of other females in my phone.
She had the balls to mention it to me. I told her she shouldnt have gone through it, if she was worried there might be something she didn't like.

Kind of like. Don't ask questions you might not want the answer too.

I can't imagine any reasonable women being worried about that. It just means that you're straight.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 157
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/2/2013 10:48:39 AM

(neveragainaka) She had the balls ...

That was either a very poorly chosen phrase, or the makings of a very awkward date...
 chill78
Msg: 158
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/4/2013 6:52:25 AM
I think most people would agree that constant phone use during a date is rude. However a quick text message or phone call doesn't bother me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 159
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/4/2013 8:00:46 AM

However a quick text message or phone call doesn't bother me.

A text message or phone call to who? Who absolutely needs to hear from you right away or who do you need to contact right away that just can't wait until the end of the date? Will your cell phone melt into a puddle of pee if you don't use it during a date? If you're one of the people that says "I need to use it in case there's an emergency", I would say "Contact me when there aren't any constant, daily emergencies in your life." Who wants to have a date interrupted by phone calls or someone saying "I need to tell Joe/Jane something right away. It can't wait."?
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 160
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/4/2013 10:58:21 AM

A text message or phone call to who? Who absolutely needs to hear from you right away or who do you need to contact right away that just can't wait until the end of the date?

There can be a good reason... which is why it's proper "etiquette" to forewarn the person that they may get a text or call from someone important. Maybe the babysitter or work or whatever. As long as that's done, and they're not taking up any real time responding to an important text forewarned about or a quick 2m call -- then there should be no problem.
 chill78
Msg: 161
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/4/2013 8:20:00 PM
A text message or phone call to who? Who absolutely needs to hear from you right away or who do you need to contact right away that just can't wait until the end of the date?

Many people on the forums and elsewhere mentioned that they would only take a text or phone call during a date for a very small amount of people. Children, work related etc. Using the phone for 1-2 minutes during a date is simply not a problem for me.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 162
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 9:42:28 AM

(chill78) Many people on the forums and elsewhere mentioned that they would only take a text or phone call during a date for a very small amount of people. Children, work related etc.

*shrug* And, many people have responded by saying that, if you are aware that there's an emergency (or potential emergency) hanging over your head, it's downright irresponsible to go on a date that might require you to be pulled away. I'm with maleman on this: I'd tell the cell-'phone junkie to call me when she didn't have something like that hanging over her head; and, if I'm still available and interested, we can set something up. (although mentally, I'd be putting a big red circle with a slash through it on her name...)

Arranging a date is hard enough without having to craft it around someone else's drama.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 163
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 9:51:55 AM

A text message or phone call to who? Who absolutely needs to hear from you right away or who do you need to contact right away that just can't wait until the end of the date? Will your cell phone melt into a puddle of pee if you don't use it during a date? If you're one of the people that says "I need to use it in case there's an emergency", I would say "Contact me when there aren't any constant, daily emergencies in your life." Who wants to have a date interrupted by phone calls or someone saying "I need to tell Joe/Jane something right away. It can't wait."?

I completely agree.

Are people so freakin' self centered that they think it's acceptable behavior to conduct their social lives by taking 'quick' calls or sending 'quick' texts while out on a date with someone having coffee, a drink or dinner? Only a self-important assclown would think that's acceptable or appropriate.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 164
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 9:55:09 AM

(jerseygirl2008) I completely agree.

Are people so freakin' self centered that they think it's acceptable behavior to conduct their social lives by taking 'quick' calls or sending 'quick' texts while out on a date with someone having coffee, a drink or dinner? Only a self-important assclown would think that's acceptable or appropriate.

+1.

Besides, we know that people are going to re-interpret "emergency" to mean, "I simply *HAVE* to forward this LOLCATZ picture immediately, or else my work buddy will think I no longer like him!"
 4ms4me
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 11:14:39 AM
I agree that constant texting/phoning during a date is not appropriate, but taking one's phone with them and being available if necessary is perfectly acceptable. It's easy enough to set a phone to mute, and simply glance at it occassionally to make sure that nothing of importance needs one's attention.

The excuse needed to end the date, or to assure the "check-in" that the person with them isn't in any way odd, suspicious or homicidal, and/or looks about the same as their picture.

If you're one of the people that says "I need to use it in case there's an emergency", I would say "Contact me when there aren't any constant, daily emergencies in your life."

That's quite a leap. If someone has kids for instance, unexpected emergencies might happen at any time - a fact of parenting. It doesn't mean there's a constant, daily string of them. I have two bosses who are on "the job" 24/7, and yeah, sometimes they have to take calls at inconvenient times. It's part of their job, they're the ones with whom the buck stops and if it stops at their phone at 10 pm or 3 am, they need to respond. The travel agency we use rotates their 24/7 on-call people; those people are also expected to answer their phones in order to assist stranded travelers at any time of the day or night.

Some people might get their egos a bit punctured if they don't get to be the centre of attention for a few minutes on a date, but who'd want to date those types anyway? Next they'd be sulking because they weren't answered quickly enough when they called or emailed because in their mind, people should be expected to drop their usual life in preference to a virtual stranger.

There's a reasonable middle ground, imo, that doesn't involve cutting oneself off from the rest of the world so one's date isn't insulted, and refraining from being so glued to their 'social' world that one's date feels completely unnecessary.
 Maleman999
Msg: 166
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 12:29:58 PM

Many people on the forums and elsewhere mentioned that they would only take a text or phone call during a date for a very small amount of people. Children, work related etc.

Luckily for me, I've never run into the problem, where someone is required to be a slave to their phone. I don't date mothers who have kids young enough that need babysitters and I never dated anyone who is on call for their job 24/7. I would think it's quite rare for people to have a job where they are on call 24/7. It happens, but I never met anyone that was and I probably wouldn't date someone who couldn't commit time to meet. I leave my cell phone in my car when I go meet someone, because I don't see any reason to carry it around-that's if I even remember to take it with me in the first place.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 167
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 12:41:51 PM

(4ms4me) If someone has kids for instance, unexpected emergencies might happen at any time - a fact of parenting.

He was quite clearly talking about people who excuse their phone-addiction with, "I have a situation that needs constant monitoring!", not people who say, "I have kids!"

There's a reasonable middle ground...

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, very few people are reasonable these days.

My ex-wife used to work in retail. Her supervisor told her, when she was going on vacation, "Keep your cell-phone on; if there's an emergency, I expect you to rush back!" My ex-wife responded, in effect, "When you pay my cell-phone bill, you get the number."
 DawnLuvs2Run
Msg: 168
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/5/2013 1:16:43 PM
...hang on my cell is buzzing, I'll respond after I send a text to my friend.....lol

As for me I only got my cell phone in July. Would I take it on a date? Don't know, guess I'll cross that bridge when it happens. I don't take it everywhere with me. I go running without it and have accidently forgotten it at home on the night stand a few times. Did I miss it those times, not really. It was a tad boring on the train to town but not a big deal. Mind you everyone else on the train had their cell glued to their ear so I felt kind of out of place...lol.

I do turn it off during meetings, at the movies and such. I have taken it with me when I have gone out with friends. I've only used it to let my granddaughter who lives with me know when I'll be home or I call her on my way home to let her know I'm on my way. I have used it to share photos with friends and oh yeah at the POF Halloween party I used it to show someone I met what I looked like when not in full Halloween costume/makeup...lol.

If I was out on a date or with anyone it would bother me if they were on it constantly. A quick check or peak once or twice over a couple of hours, no biggy. On the table or in a pocket again, no differnce. I might make a joke about it but compared to other flaws, it's not a deal breaker. Forget cell phones, there are other things dates can do when you are out with them that are equally if not more rude.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 169
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:49:28 AM

(dawnluvs2run) Forget cell phones, there are other things dates can do when you are out with them that are equally if not more rude.

Yeah! We should start a "Most Knobbish Date" thread!
 chill78
Msg: 170
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/6/2013 7:18:39 PM

I can make a similar counter argument. I rarely use my phone during a date. Unless I am alone at the moment. ( For example, one of us is using the restroom or is getting something from the car etc ). However I'm not the type of person that gets angry or overreacts simply because I wasn't the center of the other person's attention for 1-2 minutes during a date that lasted 1-2 ( or maybe more ) hours.

I never dated anyone who is on call for their job 24/7. I would think it's quite rare for people to have a job where they are on call 24/7.

There are multiple people at my job who are on call 24/7. They are the contact person if/when certain situations happen.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 171
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/7/2013 8:30:19 AM

I never dated anyone who is on call for their job 24/7. I would think it's quite rare for people to have a job where they are on call 24/7.

(chill78) There are multiple people at my job who are on call 24/7. They are the contact person if/when certain situations happen.

Then what the flunk are they doing out on a date, inflicting their work schedule on someone else? If I wanted a "be-on-call-24/7-job", I'd get a "be-on-call-24/7-job" directly, instead of trying to get one vicariously through a date. I think "assclown" is an accurate term for someone so self-centered as to think that *THEIR* job stuff should be *MY* job stuff...
 c_deacon
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/7/2013 9:59:56 AM
I do not know about you or others, but if I am "on call", there is no drinking, and I need to be within a certain distance in order to get where I need to be when on call. Now, if the "on call" is nothing more than a phone call, then one must decide if being with another is understood that way or not, but most "on call" situations involve much more and one can not be out wining and dining when that need could arise.

Cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity for most of us, and when I am with others and they make it a necessity, they lose my interest quickly, and I move on to those that will focus their attention on me and what we are doing, not what everyone else on their phone list is doing or sharing with them. I will not check on them or their phone, and I expect the same from them concerning me and my cell.

I say put the phone away and make the one you are with, the point of interest in your life at that time, and go back to your social networking when alone.

cd
 4ms4me
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/7/2013 11:57:29 AM
Then what the flunk are they doing out on a date, inflicting their work schedule on someone else? If I wanted a "be-on-call-24/7-job", I'd get a "be-on-call-24/7-job" directly, instead of trying to get one vicariously through a date. I think "assclown" is an accurate term for someone so self-centered as to think that *THEIR* job stuff should be *MY* job stuff... I think "assclown" is an accurate term for someone so self-centered as to think that *THEIR* job stuff should be *MY* job stuff...

When someone owns or runs a busines, that's their reality - they have to be reachable 24/7. And, for such people, this willingness to be reachable 24/7 entitles them to the six-figure+ income many of them make. There are two people in my office in that position. One of them is single, but according to some of the numbnuts here, he'll just have to remain single because his phone might ring during a date, and he may have to remove his attention from his date for a few minutes.

I think assclown is an accurate term for someone so self-centered as to think they must be the center of the universe during every second of a date, regardless of the other person's situation.
 John255317
Msg: 174
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/7/2013 12:43:33 PM
Wonder how needing to use a PHONE BOOTH years ago when needing to be 24/7 worked out. Just what I thought, people got by.
 Blueline294
Msg: 175
Cell phone etiquette
Posted: 11/7/2013 12:54:02 PM
Well my job required I be on call 24/7. There was no negotiation on that aspect. If that was a problem then you didn't take the position. Now that doesn't mean I was the primary on call every night but I was obligated to be available to assist if needed no matter what. Prior to the cell phones it was the dreaded pager and prior to that if you were the primary on call you had better be sitting by the phone at your residence. While dating someone I made them aware of the situation and never had a problem, but then again I didn't sit there waiting for the damn thing to go off either. Now I would be in the camp that if your just chatting to be talking then yes I would have to say that's pretty rude. But I can understand the "on call" aspect.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Cell phone etiquette