Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 76
With all the whining about men hold most CEO positionsPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
FatBottomGirI

Really? I have been working in kitchens for 15 years now and more often not I was the only female in those kitchens.

Really? Over the years of me doing temp short order cooking jobs from place to place in fancy restaurants working along side with chefs, at least half of the employees were women and I've come across plenty of female head chefs, I can't even count how many. But what I can say is that it's very common to see female head chefs of chefs in general in restaurants all over Australia. It may be a different story in America but here, I see women absolutely everywhere working in the kitchens. Even if I haven't worked at a place and the kitchen is seen in the open from the public, I see the exact story, plenty of female chefs.

We must live in different worlds or you must be very delusional.

White men have discriminated against people of color and women for centuries

You mean "some" white men, not most or all, right? Just like "some" women have discriminated against men one way or another since the dawn of time. Just like blacks have discriminated against whites one way or the other since the dawn of time.

Men or white men aren't the only ones who have done wrong. But the difference between white men and all the rest of the other groups is that most often white men are used as a scapegoat for other people's woes. No other group gets blamed or used as scapegoats as much as white men have been. It's sexism and discrimination against white men to randomly keep blaming them for the failures or woes of others.

Besides, what proof is there? All of this is based on assumption, not fact. Don't you think it's having a prejudice attitude against white men to think just because you fail at something in life, it's their fault, without any solid evidence? It's all based on your assumption, not fact? Sure, you can throw statistics at me but the statistics don't prove the reasons behind the figures.

This is not much different than having prejudice against blacks as for deeming black people to be more likely criminals without any proof whatsoever.

So why is prejudice only allowed when its against men/white men?

If we have prejudice against blacks, its bad.

If we have prejudice against women, it's bad.

If we have prejudice against muslims, its bad.

But all the sudden, magicmula, it's not bad to be prejudiced against men/white men as for assuming it's their fault for why that people didn't get where they wanted to be in life.

GOTTA LARF!

dreamcatcher39

So men make a choice to take these jobs and if women don't make the same choice they are entitled feminists. Okay, got ya.

No, not at all, you are twisting my reasoning.

It's inconsistent for many feminists to complain about equal numbers in the workplace when they only do it with desirable positions. Many feminsits basically "pick and choose" what areas they want equality in while totally ignoring other areas where there is an inequality but doing something about it wouldn't be beneficial to women as not many people want them types of jobs.

As for you asking "I would like to know what you consider to be the crappy jobs that these men are choosing to take?", this has been explained numerous times in this thread and people keep ignoring it.

Here, one last try.

http://stakedintheheart.com/2012/08/07/do-any-women-work-at-the-dirty-difficult-and-dangerous-jobs-that-men-do-any-women-at-all/
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 77
With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:06:10 PM
The feminist version of equality.

http://imgur.com/pBYOHnF

This poor chap goes to a top university where the women are just as qualified as the men, and outnumber the men. It bothers him that despite this fact, the women still receive preferential treatment in job recruitment.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:16:37 PM
^^^^^^
"Really? I have been working in kitchens for 15 years now and more often not I was the only female in those kitchens.

Black people had to create black universities, clubs, etc because the white man shut them out of the American dream. So they found a way to the American dream on their own and then helped others who were black find their road to the American dream.

White men have discriminated against people of color and women for centuries. Each group, including women have had to find away to work around it. In return, we have to also make it a point to help other women climb the ladder of success. The culinary world is still to "unevolved" to not reach out and help other female chefs succeed. And I will never apologize for that."

The real truth is that the great majority of restaurant workers, top to bottom, are now Hispanic.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/19/2013 11:25:13 AM

The real truth is that the great majority of restaurant workers, top to bottom, are now Hispanic.

That may be the case with the southern states, but not so throughout the northern states...at least not here in New England.

While wage gender discrimination has been narrowed in our recent times, wage gender discrimination still exists…3.6% of all fortune 1000, board of directors, and top executives are women…6% of world leaders are women…10% of US governors are women…21% of congress is women….while some of this can be explained by some women preferring to raise a family…some of it cannot.

As this thread has meandered thru crazy accusations that men suffer from domestic violence at the hands of women as often as do women suffer DV at the hands of men….I wonder??? How often do women rape men? Do women gang rape men? Is this the silent underbelly of society that we never hear about…it’s too horrible to imagine all those poor boys being “taken advantage of” by sex starved women who objectivize the male gender.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/19/2013 1:47:09 PM

Again, I find it funny how feminists are silent about no equal numbers in the most dangerous and crappiest jobs while jumping up and down about no equal numbers in the best jobs.

This is bunk. Women have been trying to get in the front lines within the army for example, for a long time. Women have wanted to work on oil rigs, collect the danger pay...for a long time! Women have been wanting to be firefighters, police officers etc...all dangerous jobs. The men didnt want them there, so get off your high horse OP.

Pardon me for never wanting to be a grave digger. I guess that means I dont deserve to be paid equally in any other job I do. (Insert sarcasm here.)
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/19/2013 9:13:14 PM
bigbadnirish

While wage gender discrimination has been narrowed in our recent times, wage gender discrimination still exists…3.6% of all fortune 1000, board of directors, and top executives are women…6% of world leaders are women…10% of US governors are women…21% of congress is women….while some of this can be explained by some women preferring to raise a family…some of it cannot.

There is a different type of discrimination that most people don't even realise. The type of discrimination I'm talking about is some women and some people from minority groups automatically blame white men for why they failed in getting where they wanted to be in life with no evidence whatsoever. It's all based on their assumption or shall we call it prejudice? Plenty of people seem to generalise white men as being evil discriminators which is discrimination against white men within it's self.

How often do women rape men?

It may not happen anywhere near as much as women get raped by men but yes, it does happen. And when it does happen, men are clearly discriminated against by society.

You even prove this point when you say such arrogant things like this about male victims....

it’s too horrible to imagine all those poor boys being “taken advantage of” by sex starved women who objectivize the male gender.

You are a part of the problem of discrimination against male rape victims with this attitude.

Remember a while ago how Justin Bieber got sexually harassed by Jenny McCarthy? It all happened right in front of the cameras and by Justin's reaction, you could tell he didn't like this at all. Yet, people with your type of mindset were criticising Justin for complaining about it. Saying stupid things like he must be gay, he shouldn't complain because he is expected to like just any woman doing that to him.

If that type of attitude was happening towards female victims of sexual harassment or rape, OMG outrage, misogyny. Double standards galore.

femaleconnection

Women have been trying to get in the front lines within the army for example, for a long time

This is a valid point, men have stopped women from getting in the front line in the army on a general basis. However, the rest of what you said is invalid.

Yes, it does happen that some men may stop women from having these other jobs. But you are being just as prejudiced and discriminatory against men as the men you talk about when you throw a blanket generalisation over them and claim that men everywhere in these fields are stopping women from working in them.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/19/2013 11:01:01 PM
Every time my drain plugs up and I call a plumber, a man shows up.
These jobs pay very well, what's up with that?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:26:27 AM

Every time my drain plugs up and I call a plumber, a man shows up.
These jobs pay very well, what's up with that?

Geeze, even many of those incapable women know how to remove a drain trap and clean it out...might wanna find you one of them...it'll save you some money.

That's funny....every time I call my plumber his secretary picks up the phone...he's never had a male secretary...what's up with that???
 4ms4me
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:48:43 AM

This is bunk. Women have been trying to get in the front lines within the army for example, for a long time. Women have wanted to work on oil rigs, collect the danger pay...for a long time! Women have been wanting to be firefighters, police officers etc...all dangerous jobs.

This is a valid point, men have stopped women from getting in the front line in the army on a general basis. However, the rest of what you said is invalid.

OP, some time ago I was involved in a discussion on my local forum, about women in jobs such as paramedics and firefighters. It was surprising how many men and women said that women weren't capable of doing those jobs and therefore shouldn't be allowed. Even though it was pointed out that women were doing those jobs, and successfully, it was the majority opinion that women shouldn't really be there.

Locally, there are several women who are taking the RCMP to court for sexual harassment, demeaning comments and actions. Some of the women in this lawsuit actually made it fairly high up in the system, but all the way through they were subject to ongoing harassment by the male officers. At least one woman quit.

So, please, tell me again how it's so *easy* for women in these jobs? Whatever value "affirmative action" may have, it's still not easy for a woman to enter a profession that's been historically male-dominated. Quite often the men don't want their ranks invaded by a woman and have no hesitation in letting her know, subtly or not so subtly.

every time I call my plumber his secretary picks up the phone...he's never had a male secretary...what's up with that???

A (female) co-worker and I just noted yesterday how all the "assistant" types in our offices were female. It's not like men haven't applied, either, though certainly not in the numbers that females do. Societal "norms" are pretty hard to overcome, and while we're making progress we've still a ways to go for sure. Of course, so long as we have people who keep insisting gender discrimination doesn't exist, or that the 'power elite' are being unfairly targeted, we'll just be that much more stalled.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/20/2013 10:45:52 AM
^^^^^^
"the 'power elite' are being unfairly targeted"
Speaking of the "good ol' boys network" and "power elite" , how about the Obama administration?

HLS alumni and faculty serve in Obama administration
http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/spotlight/public-service/related/23_administration.html

August 03, 2009

This year, Harvard Law School alumni continued to make an impact in a variety of ways. Most notably, HLS alumni have filled the halls of the U.S. government since Barack Obama's '91 election as the 44th President of the United States in November 2008. In putting together his administration, Obama selected more than 70 HLS alumni and faculty who will assist him in crafting law and policy in areas as diverse as the economy, the environment, and the military.

Those named to top-level jobs in the Obama administration include:

Faculty

David Barron ’94 Principal deputy assistant attorney general, Office of Legal Counsel, Department of Justice

Jody L. Freeman LL.M. ’91 S.J.D. ’95 Counselor for energy and climate change, White House Office of Energy and Climate Change

Elena Kagan ’86 Solicitor general of the United States

Daniel J. Meltzer ’75 Principal deputy counsel to the president, Office of the White House Counsel

Dean Martha Minow Member of the board of advisors, Legal Services Corporation

Cass R. Sunstein ’78 Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget

Laurence Tribe '66 President's Commission on White House Fellows

Alumni

Preeta Bansal ’89 General counsel and senior policy adviser, Office of Management and Budget

Jeremy B. Bash ’98 Chief of staff for CIA Director Leon Panetta

Jacqueline A. Berrien ’86 Chair, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Charles Blanchard ’85 General counsel, Department of the U.S. Air Force

Jason E. Bordoff ’04 Associate director for climate change at the Council on Environmental Quality

William Burke-White '02 Office of Foreign Policy Planning, State Department

Cassandra Q. Butts '91 Senior Advisor in the Office of the Chief Executive Officer at the Millennium Challenge Corporation

Nancy-Ann Min DeParle ’83 Director, White House Office for Health Reform

Norman L. Eisen ’91 Special counsel for ethics and government reform, Office of the White House Counsel

Chai R. Feldblum ’85 Commissioner, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Michael Froman ’91 Deputy assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser for international economic affairs

Jocelyn Frye ‘88 Deputy assistant to the president for domestic policy and director of policy and projects for the first lady

Juan Garcia ’92 Assistant secretary of the Navy for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, in the Department of Defense

Julius Genachowski ’91 Chairman, Federal Communications Commission

Ian H. Gershengorn ’93 Deputy assistant attorney general, Department of Justice

Daniel Gordon '86 Administrator, Office of Federal Policy Procurement

Joshua Gotbaum '78 head of U.S. Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation

Michael J. Gottlieb ’03 Associate counsel, Office of the White House Counsel

Danielle C. Gray ’03 Associate counsel, Office of the White House Counsel

William Gunn ’86 General counsel of the Department of Veterans Affairs

Nicole Y. Lamb-Hale ’91 Deputy general counsel of the Department of Commerce’s Office of General Counsel

Scott Blake Harris ’76 General counsel, Department of Energy

Emily Hewitt ’78 Chief judge, U.S. Court of Federal Claims

Ketanji Jackson ’96 Member, U.S. Sentencing Commission

Tim Kaine ’83 Chairman, Democratic National Committee

Helen Kanovsky ’76 General counsel, Department of Housing and Urban Development

Juliette Kayyem ’95 Assistant secretary for intergovernmental programs, Department of Homeland Security

Ron Klain ’87 Chief of staff to the Vice President

Harold Hongju Koh ’80 Legal adviser, Department of State

David Kris ’91 Assistant attorney general, head of National Security Division, Department of Justice

Marisa Lago '82 Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for International Markets and Development

Michael E. Leiter ’00 Director, National Counterterrorism Center

Stuart A. Levey ’89 Undersecretary of the Treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence

John Levi '72 LL.M. '73 Board member, Legal Services Corporation

Wilma Lewis ’81 Assistant secretary for Land and Mineral Management at the Department of the Interior

Chris Lu ’91 White House Cabinet secretary

Bruce E. MacDonald LL.M. ’92 Overseer of military commissions

Robert Malley '90 Envoy to Egypt and Syria

Raymond Mabus ’76 Secretary, U.S. Navy

Demetrios Marantis ’93 Deputy U.S. trade representative

Tim Massad ’84 Chief counsel of the U.S. Treasury Department’s Troubled Asset Relief Program

Andrew McLaughlin ’94 Deputy chief technology officer for the Obama Administration

George Munoz '77 President's Commission on White House Fellows

Quentin Palfrey ’02 Associate general counsel of the Department of Commerce’s Office of General Counsel

Tom Perez ’87 Assistant attorney general, head of the Civil Rights Division, Department of Justice

Thomas Perrelli ’91 Associate attorney general, Department of Justice

Samantha Power ’99 Senior director for multilateral affairs, National Security Council

Stephen Preston ’83 General counsel Central Intelligence Agency

Blake Roberts ’06 Deputy associate counsel to the president, Office of the White House Counsel

Paul L. Oostburg Sanz '99 General Counsel of the Navy

Edith Ramirez '92 Commissioner of the Federal Trade Commission

Paul Sarbanes '60 President's Commission on White House Fellows

Anne-Marie Slaughter ’85 Director of policy planning, State Department

Larry Strickling ’76 Assistant secretary for Communications and Information, Department of Commerce

Todd D. Stern ’77 Special envoy for climate change

Willard Tom ’79 General Counsel of the Federal Trade Commission

Gloria Valencia-Weber '86 Board member, Legal Services Corporation

Robert Verchick '89 Deputy associate administrator, Environmental Protection Agency Office of Policy, Economics, and Innovation

Solomon B. Watson IV '76 General Counsel of the Army

Barry White ’67 Ambassador, Norway
 4ms4me
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 10:54:14 AM

"the 'power elite' are being unfairly targeted"
Speaking of the "good ol' boys network" and "power elite" , how about the Obama administration?

HLS alumni and faculty serve in Obama administration
http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/spotlight/public-service/related/23_administration.html

Sorry, I'm not getting your point? I see some female names in there, though certainly men outnumber the women. Is that your point?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:50:20 AM
Roughly 36% of Obama's Cabinet are women compared to 19% for Bush in his first term, according to the Women and Politics center at Rutgers.

While Obama's record on diversity is also better than the much-discussed 20% female representation in the Senate, he would have to appoint more women to match Bill Clinton's record. Women represented 41% of his Cabinet in his second term.

But diversity is more than numbers. It is also about ensuring that female candidates are being considered for a variety of positions, said Jennifer Lawless, director of Women & Politics Institute at American University.

"Nobody believes there's any overt discrimination," Lawless said pointing at women who occupy top posts in the Obama administration.

"Defense and Treasury: Those are male-dominated issues and frontiers, and those are the areas where woman still have to shore up their credentials and prove themselves more," Lawless said.

"We've reached a point in time where the Cabinets have become increasingly diverse. The next challenge is to make sure we're not pigeonholing women into those positions," she said

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/politics/obama-boys-club
 FatBottomGirI
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:52:11 AM
I look forward to the day that I get to see a woman inaugurated as the President of the United States.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:57:54 AM

I look forward to the day that I get to see a woman inaugurated as the President of the United States.

I think you may only have to wait a few years...with the GOP continually supporting social issues that most Americans do not and thus shooting themselves squarely in the foot come election time...2016 looks like another democrat in the Presidency...and my guess is that Hilary will be the democrat nominee.
 grizzelda
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:48:29 PM
Again, I find it funny how feminists are silent about no equal numbers in the most dangerous and crappiest jobs while jumping up and down about no equal numbers in the best jobs.

I suggest you take a little look at a movie called North Country for a little reality check on how women can and are treated still to this day, if you watch this movie based on real incidents and arent shocked and angered about how these women were treated, I wish this sort of treatment for the rest of your life. This type of behaviour was and is not isolated, this was how a lot of the "hard working, dangerous job doing" men chose to behave.

I can tell you dozens of stories about how I have been insulted, have had men try to physically intimidate me, have had many men make sexually innapropriate accusations against me becasue they lost a contract, the list is endless of having to deal with that garbage, all because I was a female and they didnt like it.

Your whining is pathetic at best, call us when you are actually being discriminated against, not because you lost the edge that used to be applied to men for no reason other than being a man. Now you can either run with the big dogs or stay on the porch

.I look forward to the day that I get to see a woman inaugurated as the President of the United States

While I understand where you are coming from, the reality is that any women that gets to the top in any current system will be no different than her male counterparts. She will have to think and behave just like them in order for them to support her that far, no person, man or woman, who doesnt toe the party line, will get very far..

The only way that things will change that drastically is if women start to enter politics and then get voted into office in order to shift the numbers game needed to advance.

What I look forward to is a day when it is no longer assumed that the best or only way to do things is the way men do them, once we start to embrace the traits and values that women can bring to the community maybe we can get things to a better place.

I
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:41:03 PM
My own quote.

Instead of answering my actual point, people like the above use a diversion and start complaining about the same thing, "oh them evil men are stopping women from being in them positions"... The exact same complaint about CEO positions.

Anyway, instead of harping on about the same blame game against men, why do feminist groups protest for one (the better jobs) but not the other (the most crappiest jobs?)

Can anyone answer this? Just carrying on about blaming men is not the answer I'm looking for, what answer I am looking for is, again, why do feminist groups protest against one but not the other?

Don't you think that it's being inconsistent of them poor victimised feminist groups?

When will be the day where feminist groups will start protesting for equal numbers of working in the sewers?

grizzelda said

Your whining is pathetic at best

Oh my, the irony!

Here you are blaming men, generalising men, stereotyping men, and yet you call me pathetic? Don't you think it's pathetic for a woman to blame men for their own failings without any proof whatsoever, it's all based on their assumption oh I meant prejudice ?

call us when you are actually being discriminated against

lol look at my above posts. Or maybe you have reading comprehension problems.

Using men as scapegoats = discrimination

Society laughing at men (like Justin Bieber for example) of being angry about being sexually harassed = discrimination.

Oh how about this.

http://wordpress.clarku.edu/dhines/files/2012/01/Douglas-Hines-2011-helpseeking-experiences-of-male-victims.pdf

http://www.saveservices.org/pdf/SAVE-VAWA-Discriminates-Against-Males.pdf

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAuqkqxk9A

I can go on and on about factors of discrimination against men in society. People seem to think men have these invisible forcefields or are somehow magically immune to discrimination.

How simplistic to people get?

Are people seriously this damn blind? Ignorance is bliss to the mind of a gynocentric bigot.

Oh one more, feminists/women being allowed to complain all they want about their gender being discriminated against, at any place, at any time. Feminists/women getting far far far more leeway to complain compared to men while men get put down if they act the exact same = discrimination.

I am tired of these PC/leftists/feminists ignoramuses that have ultra sensitive lenses towards misogyny while being so totally blind towards misandry.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/21/2013 8:41:53 AM
^^^^^^

"I look forward to the day that I get to see a woman inaugurated as the President of the United States.

I think you may only have to wait a few years...with the GOP continually supporting social issues that most Americans do not and thus shooting themselves squarely in the foot come election time...2016 looks like another democrat in the Presidency...and my guess is that Hilary will be the democrat nominee."

Whatever candidate you vote for, I hope your choice reflects the BEST candidate, and NOT the sex, color, or religion, of that candidate as your motivation.
As for Mrs. Clinton, she does have decades of experience in Government, and she is a great liar, maybe the 2 top attributes of today's leadership. As long as she doesn't have too many headaches, concussions, or other lapses of memory she could well be that candidate.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:49:39 AM
As for Mrs. Clinton, she does have decades of experience in Government, and she is a great liar, maybe the 2 top attributes of today's leadership. As long as she doesn't have too many headaches, concussions, or other lapses of memory she could well be that candidate

She doesn't hold a candle to the last GOP nominee Romney when it comes to lying or flip-flopping...or azzinine statements...folders...hahahahahaha....hey...aren't you one of the 47%???
 4ms4me
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:59:42 PM

Society laughing at men (like Justin Bieber for example) of being angry about being sexually harassed = discrimination.

Oh how about this.

http://wordpress.clarku.edu/dhines/files/2012/01/Douglas-Hines-2011-helpseeking-experiences-of-male-victims.pdf

http://www.saveservices.org/pdf/SAVE-VAWA-Discriminates-Against-Males.pdf

I looked at your links, and while I don't know why you've gone from jobs to domestic violence, I will say I agree with what these papers say. Men do have a harder time when trying to find support/redress for domestic violence. It's harder for men to claim that they've been sexually harassed, because everyone assumes men are always horny. I agree, it's not fair.

I've said previously in this thread that there are also some professions which discriminate against men; the one that most readily comes to my mind is nursing. Also, hairdressing; it's widely assumed that a man who is interested in hairdressing as a career must be gay.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that belonging to the privileged class means that as a white boy is born, someone says "quick, get a CEO position ready, there'll be a boy ready for it in 33 years". Boy can sit on his butt, play video games, then just slide into the job when he feels like it.

Imagine for a moment that you and your sister are both learning to ride a bike, with your parents there. When you get on the bike, your parents help you - they hold the bike steady, they push you as you find the pedals, make sure you are firmly balanced before letting go as you fly down the sidewalk. If you fall, they hurry to pick you up, explain to you where you went wrong, get you back up on the bike. Again, they help steady the bike until you've got your balance and again you go sailing off down the sidewalk.

When its your sister's turn, your parents hand her the bike. She gets on it; they stand there watching. She struggles with the pedals, and your parents put their hands in their pockets. She wobbles down the street, and falls over. Your parents walk over, shaking their head and say "Well, you know, you are a girl - girls shouldn't really ride bikes, but you said you wanted to, so do it."

Now, both of you may well learn to ride the bike; maybe you'll both become champion bike riders. But you, as the "privileged boy" will have had an easier time learning and becoming expert than your sister. She'll have had to struggle harder and "prove" herself more than you. That's kinda what employment discrimination looks like.

Most of the "parents" in the corporate world are white males; they make most of the hiring/promotion decisions and they tend to favor people who look like them, and are the same gender. Being part of this privileged class doesn't give you an 'automatic' in; it merely helps smooth the way for you.

As for your question about why aren't feminists yelling and screaming about being in the "dangerous" jobs - they have been. You've been given examples, but you've ignored them.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/21/2013 8:10:54 PM
I've said previously in this thread that there are also some professions which discriminate against men; the one that most readily comes to my mind is nursing. Also, hairdressing; it's widely assumed that a man who is interested in hairdressing as a career must be gay.
I don’t understand your statement. How are men discriminated against being nurses or hairdressers? There are lots of men who are nurses and hairdressers. I never heard that men have ever been blocked from getting these jobs.
I don’t know about everyone else, but I have never assumed anything about anyone’s sexuality based on their career choice.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/21/2013 8:24:22 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but what about ageism?
Does it exist? Ask Jay Leno - he has the number one shoe late nights, and yet he is being let go.
 4ms4me
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:11:21 PM

I don’t understand your statement. How are men discriminated against being nurses or hairdressers? There are lots of men who are nurses and hairdressers. I never heard that men have ever been blocked from getting these jobs

Consider how male hairdressers and male nurses are portrayed in popular media, and take a look at these links.
http://allnurses.com/men-in-nursing/discrimination-against-men-116888.html
http://www.professionalnursing.org/article/S8755-7223(10)00146-8/abstract
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/12/22/a-turn-for-the-%E2%80%98murse%E2%80%99/
http://www.skininc.com/spabusiness/management/personnel/35074344.html?page=1

but I have never assumed anything about anyone’s sexuality based on their career choice.

Still, such assumptions do happen.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:47:18 PM
Sorry – I couldn’t find anything in your links that said men were being kept out of nursing profession.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/22/2013 12:36:17 AM
mysterious_stranger

Your reply is the best so far in this thread. Thank you! Especially the last part.
 4ms4me
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 1:27:23 PM
A Female police officer with a spotless service record is fired for lying about an affair with her superior. She did tell the truth the second time she was asked. She later married her colleague, and he retired before disciplinary action could be taken. The Law Enforcement review board said the penalty was too severe and recommended 40 hours without pay.

Another female police officer was fired after lying to obtain a warrant, and lying to the internal investigators.

In the meantime, a male police officer who tazered a passed out teenage boy, then punched him in the head hard enough to knock out a tooth gets 120 hours suspension without pay. He neglected to file papers in this case, was known to have lied on other ocassions, but no action was taken on those issues. As well, his conviction for an assault on a person using crutches a few years later was not considered relevant to this case.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=9c282d28-a356-49d0-ad1c-712d30c579f0
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/11/09/edmonton-knecht-comments-wasylyshen-fitzgerald-cases.html
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+police+officer+fired+misconduct/7890093/story.html
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions