Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vibrantshe
Msg: 95
With all the whining about men hold most CEO positionsPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've said previously in this thread that there are also some professions which discriminate against men; the one that most readily comes to my mind is nursing. Also, hairdressing; it's widely assumed that a man who is interested in hairdressing as a career must be gay.
I don’t understand your statement. How are men discriminated against being nurses or hairdressers? There are lots of men who are nurses and hairdressers. I never heard that men have ever been blocked from getting these jobs.
I don’t know about everyone else, but I have never assumed anything about anyone’s sexuality based on their career choice.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 96
With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions
Posted: 3/21/2013 8:24:22 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but what about ageism?
Does it exist? Ask Jay Leno - he has the number one shoe late nights, and yet he is being let go.
 4ms4me
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:11:21 PM

I don’t understand your statement. How are men discriminated against being nurses or hairdressers? There are lots of men who are nurses and hairdressers. I never heard that men have ever been blocked from getting these jobs

Consider how male hairdressers and male nurses are portrayed in popular media, and take a look at these links.
http://allnurses.com/men-in-nursing/discrimination-against-men-116888.html
http://www.professionalnursing.org/article/S8755-7223(10)00146-8/abstract
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/12/22/a-turn-for-the-%E2%80%98murse%E2%80%99/
http://www.skininc.com/spabusiness/management/personnel/35074344.html?page=1

but I have never assumed anything about anyone’s sexuality based on their career choice.

Still, such assumptions do happen.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:47:18 PM
Sorry – I couldn’t find anything in your links that said men were being kept out of nursing profession.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/22/2013 12:36:17 AM
mysterious_stranger

Your reply is the best so far in this thread. Thank you! Especially the last part.
 4ms4me
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 1:27:23 PM
A Female police officer with a spotless service record is fired for lying about an affair with her superior. She did tell the truth the second time she was asked. She later married her colleague, and he retired before disciplinary action could be taken. The Law Enforcement review board said the penalty was too severe and recommended 40 hours without pay.

Another female police officer was fired after lying to obtain a warrant, and lying to the internal investigators.

In the meantime, a male police officer who tazered a passed out teenage boy, then punched him in the head hard enough to knock out a tooth gets 120 hours suspension without pay. He neglected to file papers in this case, was known to have lied on other ocassions, but no action was taken on those issues. As well, his conviction for an assault on a person using crutches a few years later was not considered relevant to this case.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=9c282d28-a356-49d0-ad1c-712d30c579f0
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/11/09/edmonton-knecht-comments-wasylyshen-fitzgerald-cases.html
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+police+officer+fired+misconduct/7890093/story.html
 mrcs84
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2013 5:54:54 AM
Pretty plain and simple Apex Fallacy.

Most CEOs are men so therefore lets apply that line of thinking to all men.

And the 2 big issues we see are:
1. Not enough women have the drive, ability, wherewithal to make it to being CEO status, and often times instead of creating their own ideas, that try to barge in with their claims of discrimination and simply piggy back off the successful men that did all the work (i.e. Facebook/Yahoo). After all women have "unique" ideas, but apparently said ideas only like to come to light AFTER the groundwork has been laid.

2. What was essentially touched upon, women aren't exactly rallying for the blue collar jobs. They would rather rally for "comparable pay" so they can continue working their pink collar jobs but get paid the same for doing -different- work.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 102
Posted: 3/25/2013 4:36:51 PM
(bigbadnirish) AAUW's newest research report, Graduating to a Pay Gap, shows that a year after graduation from college, women are being paid only 82 percent of what their male colleagues are being paid - even though women are attending college at higher rates than men, graduating in greater numbers, and earning higher grades.

Gee, even with all those educational advantages, they're still lagging behind? It appears that all this deferential treatment was just a big waste of time and effort. A pretty good argument, I'd say, for scrapping EEO and all that, and just letting everyone have at 'er...

The women made only 82 percent of what the men made, with women making an average of $35,296 while men made an average of $42,918. While some of the gap could be explained by factors such as career choice, when all variables were considered a 7 per cent gap remained.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, and all that. I may not be a farmer, but I can tell bullshyte when I smell it...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/25/2013 5:37:39 PM

Lies, damned lies, and statistics, and all that. I may not be a farmer, but I can tell bullshyte when I smell it...

LOL...trolling for a reply are we???

Ok not a farmer...then come up with some legitimate literature to dispute it. And I say this because: "because I said so"...is really a lame argument even for you.
 peony-rose
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/3/2013 1:31:07 AM
On behalf of the rest of Australia..... please accept my apology.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/3/2013 8:36:26 AM
^^^^^^
Arlo - You have to consider the source before you get cranked up. Take another look at the reference.
"Graduating to a Pay Gap uses the latest nationally representative data available on women and men one year after college graduation." One year?
Then take a look at the claim : Women make 7% less.

OK, now tell us what happens AFTER the first year, or does that not matter?
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/3/2013 8:42:46 AM
(GreenThumbz18) ^^^^^^
Arlo - You have to consider the source before you get cranked up. Take another look at the reference.
"Graduating to a Pay Gap uses the latest nationally representative data available on women and men one year after college graduation." One year?
Then take a look at the claim : Women make 7% less.

*chuckle* I'm far from "cranked up"; in fact, I couldn't be more "cranked down" if I tried. And, you misinterpreted my response to EnormousEvilCelt: I think the entire "study" is politically-motivated bafflegab (or "crap", in layman's terms), meant to make men and women antagonistic towards each other. There are many more profitable and mutually-satisfying ways that men and women could spend with each other, than arguing over politically-motivated BS.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > With all the whining about men hold most CEO positions