Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > My journey from being a "Nice Guy"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 76
view profile
History
My journey from being a Nice GuyPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Here's an article written by a woman, yes young, on why Nice Guys do finish last. She doesn't represent what every non-young gal is thinking (or young gal), but it's one version of it... I do believe the main underlying concept is the same, outside mere young/socialite gals.

http://elitedaily.com/dating/sex/the-five-reasons-why-nice-guys-finish-last/

Here's another take on it too, written by a woman that was just on Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/4-reasons-nice-guys-always-090006120.html

I don't entirely agree with them, but more gals than ya think will feel more or less like that... but the underlying reasons to them I think is more universal to a small degree or large degree to the female population: Women don't want a fish jumping out of the water, into their boat, when fishing out in the dating pool. They don't want an Easy catch. It has less value. That's not even a Catch, as no catching was required. The confusion of this is that gals don't want the polar opposite either, and that's where their Frustration usually is -- focusing on who they couldn't/can't get... while one's mindset is not about ["what's his name again?"] who they politely side-stepped and just wasn't "feeling it" with him. Frustrations, wasted time, etc etc -- that's going to be in the forefront of one's mind, just as Great Successes do... but not the ones they side-stepped, hence, the inaccurate feeling that can come about that "SO many men are just jerks".... when no, there are more than enough Mr Nice Guys. You're just not attracted to them, Sally. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 77
My journey from being a Nice Guy
Posted: 7/3/2017 3:04:42 PM
the first article was interesting...I think some fellows put a gal on a pedestal and want to imagine her out of our league, b/c we want HER to be a prize. And if we can get such an amazing prize, then we must be amazing. But if we imagine she'll sleep with anyone, then what kind of accomplishment is it? she feels about us the same way she feels about every Tom's D!ck is Harry. we aren't unique.

the second article is interesting--what I get from it, when a woman is ready to settle down, the Nice Guy is a wise choice. When she wants to have fun and be flooded with emotions to feel...the drama dude is the wise choice. Mystery, guessing, being allowed to be a bad girl b/c the boy isn't nice either....
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2017 6:17:16 PM

I learned to overcome fear.

You will make an excellent Green lantern.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2017 4:30:13 PM
It's all part of the games women want to play. Seems like they want some guy to sweep them off their feet, by being confronted, and lured in. That's all well and good for them. But me, I think that it's starting a relationship on a lie. So, I won't go there. And my way doesn't work very well. If I did, then at some point, the truth will come out, and it ends in a big fiasco. I will only be me. If me doesn't suit you- bye.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2017 9:37:22 PM

Seems like they want some guy to sweep them off their feet, by being confronted, and lured in.

That's not what they want, actually -- otherwise, classic Mr Nice Guys would flourish more, as that's the aim for many of said Mr Nice Guys. Gals generally speaking don't want a guy who's not an easy catch... that isn't going to chase them to squeeze out a date, pull out every chair for them, tell them how beautiful they are all the time, etc. On the rebound, they'll like that as a phase, but, that's too-easy. Not that they're commonly Consciously Thinking that. But a "catch" isn't a fish flopping out of the water, into the boat, begging to be split open and thrown on the grill. Mr Nice Guys don't understand that that angle, which is the aim to sweep them off their feet and be a Yes-man, doesn't work, despite aunt Martha and their older sister saying so (because they can't stand the jerk guys out there). It's like "over-correcting the steering" when that mantra is preached on effectiveness.

I think some fellows put a gal on a pedestal and want to imagine her out of our league, b/c we want HER to be a prize. And if we can get such an amazing prize, then we must be amazing.

Ehhhh, I dunno about that. I don't see any trend in that. The only tendency out there I see, where a guy is going to want to "over hype" a gal being better-than-she-is, is when he doesn't get much Positive Feedback from gals, and lo-and-behold, he Does get a gal -- who's not that bad looking, either. Holy Sh!t! His feelings of accomplishment are higher than what he got -- but him just getting Anything at least semi-decent was far over-hyped as being far-fetched, hence, getting her is a "bigger" accomplishment.

The only time I see a guy over-pedestalizing a gal as a catch who he Hasn't got yet -- or did Just seem to get after much a chase -- is when he's caught up in the "chase", which boosts her stock price. Guys play "game" to do this to gals. Gals who aren't-that-interested/wishy-washy about him -- but reasonably attractive and all -- will many times be seen as a much Higher Value than they should in the guy's eyes, when he's caught in the chase. It's part of human nature -- which guys will try to do with real cute gals to raise their Own value to get a gal who seems at least a little far out of his reach.

the second article is interesting--what I get from it, when a woman is ready to settle down, the Nice Guy is a wise choice. When she wants to have fun and be flooded with emotions to feel...the drama dude is the wise choice. Mystery, guessing, being allowed to be a bad girl b/c the boy isn't nice either....

I see it as the answers-are-already-there in Mr Nice Guy (no "mystery" as a result), but it's purely not that though -- it's his Yes-man demeanor .... or how he Seems to be that way by his Look, and stereotyping/categorizing that hits their bones in how they feel about him.

Not being Mr Nice Guy doesn't mean he's an a-hole. So from that article, yeah, it's from a gal in the zone where they're more into a-holes... but getting out of that phase (or mostly) later on, still for many Isn't going to want a classic Mr Nice Guy, a Yes-Man when scanning Strangers and determining on whether to bite on one or not. They're going to want a guy who's Not Mr Nice Guy/Yes-Man, and not Mr A-Hole. But in the end, especially if she's a decent catch in any way, she's Definitely more apt to gravitate to guy who's a little too much an a-hole than Mr Nice Guy.

I don't think having mystery to yourself is being a bad guy. It doesn't mean guessing games, it means not laying out everything on the table at once... nor going out of your way to Cater to said gal you don't know that well, which is a classic way of "no mystery" (you're predictable; you're bought in right off the bat; there is no "winning"; you're a fish jumping out of the water into her boat; nothing for Her to feel she 'earned'/'won') .

We all tend to want what we can't Quite have but feel we should. Mr Nice Guy doesn't represent that. And the two authors of those articles Exemplify this. It's not about getting a guy out of their league per se at all -- it's about getting a guy who's not ga-ga about them and wanting to Yes-Man them off the bat. They get enough of that, from guys who are Mr Nice Guys or trying to role-play as one. A guy's value is Higher when to get his interest, unlike many guys around her, she also has to 'earn' it. Unfortunately, yeah, many of these guys will be a-holes, hence no lack of experience with them - lol. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/5/2017 5:52:22 AM
some Nice Guys are SNAGs..Sensitive, New Age Guys. they will claim they won't use a gal like her bad boys in the past did, and after they refuse sexual interest in her, will eventually get upset they didn't get their turn at her bed. Some Nice Guys are only nice when a hottie is looking. And of course, no one ever respects the Ass Kisser, even in the office. and some Nice Guys are boring. And some are afraid to raise the issue of sex, so she has to when she's ready...and take that risk.

you're correct, NG, the Nice Guy who is already getting ignored by women is likely going to put the Hot Mess on a pedestal for his own purposes. he predicts his own doom, even if he succeeds. Ironically, if she has a history of bad boys, hoping to make them into something else...there's two people looking at potential partners with rose-colored glasses. its funny how many Nice Guys...chase after women who are NOT Nice Girls. If the Nice Guys went after Nice Girls, they'd get more dates. But get laid instantly a lot less, of course. And maybe get bored, too...those Hot Messes can seem exciting. its fun to live vicariously thru their exploits. Bad girls go everywhere, right?

the opposite of being mysterious, is being the Try-Hard. Many guys oversell themselves instantly, trying to impress a stranger into dating them by telling all the "cool" things about them at once. That removes mystery, of course. But it also comes off as the Try-Hard. Like a pushy salesman. let her WANT to get to know more about you. Immature women who are interested in you, will even build amazing stories about you before they've known you.
 cooldog65
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2017 9:44:04 AM
Tom Leykis would be proud.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/6/2017 12:44:16 PM
"Bad Boy" and "Nice Guy" are both such silly terms, and no one should strive to be either one. Why?? Because BOTH make women the center of their universe. If you live your life desperately strategizing from every angle possible to obtain validation from women, you will always be a miserable slave. Focus on yourself with the same vigor. Take no shit along the way, yet still be someone you can be proud to look at in the mirror every morning.

That is when the real changes will occur.
 Chromis1
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2017 2:52:11 PM
^^^^^^

+100

- [filler to meet the minimum post length requirement]
 forumslady
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/6/2017 4:28:40 PM
ThePigOfYourDreams- " Focus on yourself with the same vigor. Take no shit along the way, yet still be someone you can be proud to look at in the mirror every morning.

That is when the real changes will occur."

Indeed.

I've come a LONG way, towards change, since I first joined here, back when I was still Bamagrl68. I can't claim to be completely cured, but I'm ALMOST there.

Do men get the same grief as women, who have the same attitude?
I've been experiencing accusations that the change in me is a bad thing.
I wonder, sometimes, if that is because I'm female and an assertive, confident female is a turn off, to some men.
I'm stuck at how to handle it.
Sometimes I say nothing, other times, I set people straight.
Right now, I'm leaning towards feeling like I need to be thankful that men who see me in a negative light, because I've changed, filter themselves out for me.
It's happening here in the forums too, sometimes.
I don't think it's a bad thing, that I decided to stop being a door mat.
Again, sometimes I ignore it, other times, I say something. When I say something, people will double down and go, "But when you were bama, you were nicer, blah, blah."
SO tedious!
 2ufo2
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/6/2017 5:16:33 PM
A definite agreement with Pig.

And it's applicable to everyone.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2017 8:39:56 AM
Responce to PIG... You sound like MGTOW and I think the movement is remarkable. It saved my grandson from feeling suicidal to becoming his own person.
He had his heart broken and I pointed him in the direction of truth tellers who are discussing modern relationships and the damage feminazis are doing to young men in our society. It saved his life. He just shaved his head, lost 80 pounds, is going into training to go into the army. He is focusing on himself and whatever self improvements he needs to make for himself. He is finally thinking of his own goals and ambitions, not those that women or young girls have demanded from him. The turn around was amazing. He is getting a thick skin and tough as steel.

He fell into a deep depression from rejection and what followed was his Mom getting cancer again, his uncle shot himself in the face and his grandfather died. Doctors and therapists or medication didn't help him. MGTOW philosophy did.
Now in an era where many men are being brought up by single mothers I applaud men that help young men develop skills, independence and a high self esteem. Now my grandson knows how to be respected and be a young man with determination and an attitude that gave him fulfillment and a new course in life. The institution of marriage may not be dying but not every young man has to seek a future with a wife, family and all the responsibilities that go with it.

I tell men here all the time to just be genuine, be yourself, do not placate or re-invent yourself for anyone. Be who you are and who you were meant to be in God's mind.

Here is a link to a guy that is promoting MGTOW and is hilarious with his teaching but honest. He tries to piss women off but if they have a keen ear and a open mind they will hear that he is actually telling women how not to behave. You may already have heard of him. You seem to be on the same page..and it is refreshing to find some posters here actually talking about men's issues. I know this is an old thread but good job OP!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/redonkulaspopp
 cooldog65
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2017 9:56:30 AM
^^^I subscribe to that guy's youtube channel. He's hilarious. We need more ladies who think like you do.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/7/2017 11:06:01 AM

Responce to PIG... You sound like MGTOW

I am definitely familiar with it, but haven't looked much into it because I don't like the idea of associating myself with groups or communities simply because I'm sure there may be certain aspects of their beliefs I don't necessarily agree with. However, as a whole, the fact such a group exists is probably a positive thing as long as they're not flat out advocating any sort of violence or genuine abuse.

My own beliefs have stemmed from my own experiences and those of others. In many regards, I was probably "MGTOW" before it even existed.
 meowzing
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/7/2017 12:51:08 PM
Well Mr. Pig, you really aren't one :)
 PennyAnte
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2017 1:25:47 PM
cooldog65... He is so funny. He told me the percentage of women that follow him is only 3%. If a woman can get past some of his vulgarity he is truly calling it like it is. Yes, he is hilarious.
I raised 4 daughters to be strong but have grace and gratitude. Their father taught them how to respect a man and have healthy boundaries with them. Before he passed away we raised them within a traditional family with positive gender roles. Not the confusion of today.

These boundaries all seem to be blurred in today's society and men are losing respect. I was raised up in the 60's and a teenager in the 70's. The positive role model for a man was simple back then. It wasn't biased by woman wanting equality. Woman back then were smart and knew the plain truth that men are biologically superior. They are made that way. This is God's design and if you believe his word ie, Bible the woman is supposed to be subservient to her husband. That was plain and simple. He did the hard work, toil, took care of the "castle" and I was a soft place to fall, his support and his confidant and his lover.

This third wave of feminism has become ridiculous. Young men need to know their worth and find it within themselves without looking for validation from anyone but themselves and their Higher Power.

To Pig: Yes, I can tell you have the idea and perhaps were ahead of your time but if you want some good laughs go watch this guy. He's been around for about 4 years and I don't think I have missed an episode. He truly caused me to look at the plight of men, especially those alienated from their children.
I found him because he did an award winning short film that made me wake up and I have been not only supporting his channel but I have become an advocate for homeless veterans and wounded warriors.
Here is a link to the short film called " Purple Heart's Final Beat | Final Cut " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUHalR8P0I
Donate if you can and tell him Mary sent you....
 gtomustang
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/7/2017 4:58:59 PM
"do men get the same grief?"

>>>assertive women are attractive to men who are already attracted. You may not have watched them, but there are movies (I guess they are guy-oriented) where the hot bad girl keeps making the move on the nerdy guy. of course, inside a workplace, assertive broads are called names :) Oh,and in forums, too.

see, we like you assertive if you're asserting something we want. that's the rule to measure by.
 forumslady
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/7/2017 5:54:47 PM
gtomustang- "do men get the same grief?"

>>>assertive women are attractive to men who are already attracted. You may not have watched them, but there are movies (I guess they are guy-oriented) where the hot bad girl keeps making the move on the nerdy guy. of course, inside a workplace, assertive broads are called names :) Oh,and in forums, too.

see, we like you assertive if you're asserting something we want. that's the rule to measure by."

Uh-huh, something tells me there isn't much you, involved in that "we" statement. ;)

Regardless, this is who I am now. Take me as I am, or don't.

I know, for a fact, there are still good men out there and I know there are good men who would be happy to find someone like me.
Now I just have to find myself in the same room with one of them.

They are here, too, on the forums, it's seems to be my luck, they are always too far away. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/8/2017 5:34:57 AM
"take me as I am, or don't"

>>>when people come here and post, "how can I keep a man from cheating" or "how can I find a woman who loves me" or something along these lines...the simple advice is, don't cast your net wide, don't be something for everyone, don't try to be what the majority wants. just be yourself, and be proud enough of it, to stand by it. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but you will eventually find the person who really wants you...b/c its the only thing you are offering them.

at my first high school reunion, I was surprised how many fellow students who wouldn't have given me the time of day back then, looked me up. apparently they had respected me for being me back then, not chasing fads or being a fake friend when it was convenient. So, I learned people can respect you, but not want to hang out with you. but those who do like who you are, they will like what they see. when we're younger, we want the crowd to accept us. when we're older, we may have only a few close friends. maybe that's a problem for younger nice guys, they want to be accepted by as many as possible, so they try out being the Nice Guy.
 forumslady
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/8/2017 4:38:17 PM
gtomustang- I'm going to be 49 soon.
With age, comes wisdom.
Over the years, my circle has grown smaller as I have learned to spend time around people who are a positive influence and who accept me, as I am.
I'll always be a quality over quantity type person. Better 1 quarter, than 25 pennies. ;)

Butterchickenchuck and me talked in another thread about how we wish it was possible to be both wise and young. By the time you are old enough to realize the wisdom of your words (as stated in your post, Gto), you (the generic, you) aren't young, any more.

Oh, well, such is life. I am thankful for the wisdom that age has afforded me. :)
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/8/2017 4:46:02 PM
There's always a tradeoff. If we had harbored middle age adult-like wisdom in our youth, we probably wouldn't have had some of the fun we did due to constantly safeguarding ourselves.
 forumslady
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/8/2017 5:23:33 PM
ThePigOfYourDreams- " There's always a tradeoff. If we had harbored middle age adult-like wisdom in our youth, we probably wouldn't have had some of the fun we did due to constantly safeguarding ourselves."

Oh, yes, I had some fun times, back then. It's a miracle we survive it, but I do have fond memories of those days.

I still know how to have a good time, we just learn to make adjustments so we don't end up in jail, or the ER, hopefully. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/9/2017 5:17:13 AM
"wish it was possible to be both wise and young"

>>>I'll be arrogant enough to answer that :)

when I was a kid, my father once lamented while we were out fixing something or the other (which soon turned into, "OK now that you know how it works, you know how it broke, fix it i'm going to go inside and continue working on my computer program :) ), what would life be like if the young did not have to go out and make the same mistakes their parents made. if only we could learn while we were young, then we'd do different things, and maybe make mistakes, but at least the human race would advance rather than waste its time repeating. so, I took it to heart, and as Pig pointed out, I avoided doing some "Dumbfun" things.

But I read everything I could to learn, I listened to adults tell stories, and knowing a lot of common sense when you're young (I thankfully wasn't a Sheldon Cooper) doesn't help a young person fit in with others. We sure aren't cool. My first gf wanted to fool around in the back seat of a car, I already had my own place at 18 and wanted to go there and fool around like an adult, rather than like a pretzel in the back of a cold car in December. I'd notice things around me and get interested in what made them work, while my peers were busy being too cool to be impressed by anything. And of course, there were the silly fads they wasted their $$ on in order to fit in, while I saved that money so I could pay for college b/c I heard stories of having that debt thru life.

but if you're geared to go thru life alone...then doing it wisely does give you the last laugh. when later in life you end up financially set, in good health, your back isn't sore when you're trying to sleep b/c your parents taught you, "bend at the knees, you'll be pleased", and other things you did wisely when young to avoid issues you heard happen when older. but trying to find people to laugh with you? :)

"I still know how to have a good time, we just learn to make adjustments so we don't end up in jail, or the ER, hopefully. :)"

>>>And that's important. I can't remember the old saying, about how wisdom comes from knowledge and knowledge comes from experience and experience tends to occur when we do something lacking wisdom and knowledge. No matter what skills you have, life can occur just due to dumb luck. Success isn't always about avoiding bad luck, but how you recover from bad luck. do you get back to where you were originally, or do you stay screwed?
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2017 11:41:39 AM

when later in life you end up financially set, in good health, your back isn't sore when you're trying to sleep

I resemble that remark.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2017 12:28:48 PM

some Nice Guys are SNAGs..Sensitive, New Age Guys. they will claim they won't use a gal like her bad boys in the past did, and after they refuse sexual interest in her, will eventually get upset they didn't get their turn at her bed.

Or get upset that they don't "get the girl" in general -- not limited to SNAGs, but any flavor of Mr Nice Guy, yeah.

Some Nice Guys are only nice when a hottie is looking. And of course, no one ever respects the Ass Kisser, even in the office.

Yes. Many times we Assume someone's a "Nice Guy" who we don't know. Sometimes they're not at all, sometimes, like many, they certainly Can be if you line them up with the right type of gal to bring that out. It's Natural to be "Nice Guy", a Yes-Man, etc -- when the gal's out of his league and is a real looker. Thru experience many of us try not to come off that way, but many times in doing so -- he actually may be being a Nice Guy to enough degree that he's going to be classified in the same category as one.

And some are afraid to raise the issue of sex, so she has to when she's ready...and take that risk.

Yeah, but a gal who's "skilled" in the dating scene can make it so it won't be a big thing if he's Merely overly-cautious about making-a-move or to converse about things sexually-related. The classic guy in this case is just overly-cautious and goes Nowhere if the gal goes Nowhere as far as signals and the like are concerned. That's where a Non-Nice-Guy (but no, not an A-Hole) takes that risk... where he's not getting a read on her other than she at least seems to like him enough to have a drink with once or twice.

I remember many times telling some of my friends when they outline their stories where they didn't kiss the gal after the 2nd evening date -- that if she's going out with you a 2nd time, you have the Right to go in for a kiss at a reasonable time & place... even if you're not getting anything except a poker face by her. This isn't some gal at the bar you walked up to and offered to buy a drink and had a convo with. I think Nice Guys understand this, but Mr Nice Guy Fears Rejection as his motive. He realizes ethically he's doing NOTHING wrong. In fact, if anything, it would be wrong for the gal to Continue to go out on Dates with a guy, him paying, the whole 9-yards for standard operating procedure in this regard -- yet Not want to kiss him, while wanting to be taken out again (unless she made a disclaimer in the beginning that she doesn't kiss until X-date or until being an Item *and* he accepts; which is weird and very unusual, but have to throw it out there). Many times, Mr Nice Guy doesn't want to "ruin" it. He wants Another date -- where that in and of itself is a "victory"... as if he's trying to win back an ex-gf who still has issues about him or something - lol. He's not realizing that yet-another date is Not a victory at all when, yet again, she doesn't want a real kiss from ya.

its funny how many Nice Guys...chase after women who are NOT Nice Girls. If the Nice Guys went after Nice Girls, they'd get more dates. But get laid instantly a lot less, of course.

Yes, there is hypocracy from both genders out there, when it comes to complaining about the opp-sex. In this case, it's Mr Nice Guy being overlooked, not wanted, will get a sympathy date at most, and a story about a makeout session with a cute bar girl is because she was really drunk and on the rebound (and that was all that transpired) -- and yet, he wants these type of gals. They're not necessarily Bad Girls, but it's more that they're certainly Not Girl Scouts, and will like the Bad Boy -- and certainly not Mr Nice Guy. He doesn't put things in perspective. I think he Would get laid More if he realizes this, and, if he Is adamant about sticking to his "way" -- his Mr Nice Guy way -- if he also went after the "Nice Girls" that he's not so attracted to. You much more want what you can't quite have but think you should be able to.

the opposite of being mysterious, is being the Try-Hard. Many guys oversell themselves instantly, trying to impress a stranger into dating them by telling all the "cool" things about them at once.

Yeah, and that's the opitomy of Mr Nice Guy. Because it's what maw & paw taught them, along with Aunt Martha and his older sister. He's going to Try-Hard to appease and make them feel so great & wonderful. Oh, and guys don't buy gals flowers anymore?! Oh, sign me up -- I'm Mr Nice Guy, here to save the day! I'll compliment them and make them feel great & wonderful! Wait... why aren't these gals wanting me? OH, it's because this is what (almost) ALL the guys do to this hottie. Wait -- this doesn't make sense! I would LOVE it if she did that to me! How can she not like it? How can she complain guys are just jerks?? --- It's because he's not realizing that reality in the guy-gal / dating scene is Not what maw & paw told ya. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > My journey from being a "Nice Guy"