Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > That's kinda sad lololol      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Della D
Msg: 19
That's kinda sad lolololPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Welcome to the realities of online dating, all sort of different things do matter to different people.

And as you said you removed your picture BECAUSE you're plus sized, at least "some thing" beside personality (which is hard enough to figure out by an online profile) seems to matter to you too.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 20
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/24/2013 2:52:31 PM
I have a sister, 16 years younger than I am. She was a wired, wiry, very active little girl. She was eight when my dad died. In a year, my mother lost 50 pounds, and my sister had gained it. By her teens she was working on a hundred. She gained more later. Nearing sixty, she's never been on a date. The thing she wanted most in this world--to be a wife and mother has never even been close. She's now losing weight for health reasons. I really ache for her, but have to acknowledge it was her life to lead, and she's lead it as she wished.

Your choice, OPie. And good luck!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 21
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:07:55 PM
Your online profile is pretty much a classified ad for yourself. Being honest (and thorough) in advertising means a lot if you want the correct results. You my not have the most favorable appearance for the majority of your audience of online dating, but does that really matter if you find ONE person who likes you - as you are?

If you have information you don't wish to reveal at first, and somebody disconnects after you reveal it, you really can't take it too personally. They assumed one thing, you showed them another. Stuff like that happens all the time, and it's not always about weight or body size.

One thing about your online profile - is that pictures generally don't lie. When online, showing an honest representation of your physical self is infinitely easier than showing off your personality in the written word. No matter how well you may verbally describe yourself in text, there are STILL people that will understand it differently. They are not completely 'WRONG" with seeing it through THEIR eyes - it's just a different view than yours. You gotta accept that fact, and realize it's just going to happen, no matter what. You can put jokes and things into your profile text to show you are a funny, outgoing person - but if they don't 'get' the joke, did it really help you - or hurt you?

Personality really comes through in real-life communications - phone calls, video (Skype) chats, and 1st meet-and-greet kinds of dates.
 RandomFish123
Msg: 22
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:11:38 PM

Hey, everyone I just removed my picture because I'm plus size and had I guy message ME that I was interested in when i had my pic up but wouldn't answer me back then... Is this normal... I think it should be personality that counts but does size matter?

If looks didn't matter, trust me POF and other dating sites would not even have to bother with picture upload option. We'd all chat, meet, date & fall in love based solely on faceless awesomely written profiles and live happily ever after.
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 23
view profile
History
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:20:56 PM
@27

That is a sad read. Early Parental death can be so destructive on kids.
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 24
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:53:32 PM
I think we all know size matters. NO brainer. This is a dating site where people want sex. Personality is important but we need to be turned on as well. That is natural. If you remove your pic that doesnt help and sooner or later you will want to meet in person, wont you? If you go for other plus size guys then you may have some success. Excess weight can be unhealthy as well as unsightly.

]
 EyesRgreen_62
Msg: 25
That's kinda sad lololol
Posted: 3/25/2013 12:48:21 PM

Hey, everyone I just removed my picture because I'm plus size and had I guy message ME that I was interested in when i had my pic up but wouldn't answer me back then... Is this normal... I think it should be personality that counts but does size matter?

Ah sweetie, so sorry that happened to you. For some people such things do not matter ... they go more for heart, substances, intelligence, honor, integrity ... longevity. Most of us however are pretty visual creators ... and men are more so than women. And so the initial impression and the impact of a person is what we see.

When we have a little extra, we must tolerate a lot of hypocritical stereotyping and discrimination. Frankly, it makes us stronger ... and we find those who want to be with us are with us for reasons other than superficial. That's just the way it is.

Keep looking ... be up front and honest about your body type ... he'll find you :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > That's kinda sad lololol