Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 steaktastegreat
Msg: 3
Self conscious and hoping to join a gymPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Everyone has to start somewhere dude. Meatheads aren't born meatheads, they used to be fat or skinny too. You need to get over your self conscious attitude. Don't pay attention to other people in the gym. Anyone that is at a gym, and lifting like they should be, won't look or care how much you are doing. I couldn't tell you what anyone around me is doing. I don't care. I am focused on me.

Advice, if you want to lose fat, then calorie input needs to be less than calorie output. Lift heavy, train hard, and train smart. Bodies are sculpted in the kitchen. Figure out your macros and stick to them. Results come over months, not days or weeks. The more muscles you recruit into an exercise, the more CNS stimulation results (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc). Cardio has it's place, but don't overdue it, and use it wisely. Good luck bro.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Self conscious and hoping to join a gym
Posted: 3/25/2013 4:03:14 AM

Okay, I have just gone out and spent like $300 on gym gear,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
At least your wallet lost weight.
Next time wear cheap sweats and spend that on good healthy whole foods.

I hear lime green is the IT color for weight loss.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2013 2:34:32 PM

Seems you're trying to discourage the gym

^^^^^^^
Not at all.

I love my work outs.

In 4 year old yoga pants or sweats/ old t shirts and spend my money on good real food.
Have 23 dollar sketchers( on sale) that cushion my feet pretty good.

You want to look good at the gym and not address food which is the major issue with obesity.

I work out 5/6 hours a week but thats not why I am not fat.

Grow up and listen to people that have experience.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:53:48 PM
My first time I was 14 or 15 and went in on my buddy's brother's membership. It was basically sneaking in. When we were in there 2 big muscle heads came up to us and started trying to teach us form. They were raging for sure, yelling and making a scene. It was brutal and I never went back. My dad had free weights I could use in the basement.
I haven't run into any more guys like that, but I can see how someone might be worried about them. Personally, I've built my own gym in my basement and never have to worry about other people giving me bad advice or making scenes or being overly scrutinizing.
It's a one time investment and I can use it forever.
 pseriouslyt44
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/29/2013 10:13:41 PM
Anyone knows of a good gym here in oxnard with reasonable price? I am not looking for anything expense, I just need my space whenever I am doing my thing with no girls staring at me lol?
 Skyr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 3:20:29 AM

Okay, so first of all, I am not a huge fan of conventional exercise. I do not see the enjoyment people can get from going to a gym. I can see the benefits of it, but not the enjoyment.

They are not be mutually exclusive. If you enjoy going to the gym, go for it. But to me a gym is a place for people who exercise for the sake of exercise. That's why many people don't keep up their gym memberships.

I cannot imagine running in one spot for 2hrs, and going absolutely nowhere, in a roomful of smelly people trying to lose weight. Or going for a bike ride and staring out the window or at my own reflection for 5hrs.

Get on a real bike, or go for a run. You'll enjoy it more. That way it's not exercise as a means to an end.
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/30/2013 11:01:34 AM
Congrats, yeah for you and warm healthy thoughts coming to you in Canada.

Totally understand hating the gym and the traditional route of working out.
Here are my tips.
Work out in the morning if you can before you go to work. I find it so much easier to stay away from temptation (re: left overs after meetings) if I sweated my arse off earlier that day.
Have a set of work out clothes/shoes at home and in the car.
Do anything that gets you moving. Tennis, soccer, squash (you can wack it around the court alone), swimming, kickboxing class, spinning, ride a bike, ice skating, shoot some hoops (alone great core workout), hiking, stairs( with great music on your ipod) salsa class, boxing.
I work out early in the morning and my gym has work out rooms (and if there isn't a class) I bring my mac and do videos and no one knows I'm there :) Kickboxing, step, etc. You can get them free through the library.

Hope this helps.
 pseriouslyt44
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/30/2013 2:00:26 PM
Ok thanks for the helpful tip..:)
 pseriouslyt44
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/30/2013 2:10:09 PM
For now I normally do 5 rounds around a park early in the morning depending on how big it is, do my routine exercise like push ups, pull ups and the rest. In the evening, I lift weights for 30 mins to an hour. After that I eat a good meal with a lot of vegis and go straight to bed. Hopefully this is enough, I want to go to a gym so I will be able to use all sorts of equipment so that is my main interest.
 Skyr
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2013 9:23:12 AM
Posted By: BicyclingGal on 3/31/2013 11:43:08 AM

Yes, but those of us who live where there are snowy winters can't always do that, nor is the snow always in good shape for x-country skiing or snowshoeing (or I may not have a couple of hours to do that). Going to the health club is a way to keep up my fitness in inclement weather.

That was not my point. Do an activity for the enjoyment, not because it's exercise for the sake of exercise. If one can possibly get enjoyment out of cycling or running in one spot for 3hrs and going nowhere, then so be it. But people talk about going to the gym as a chore, which suggests otherwise. How about something a bit more dynamic like Karate or Tae Kwon Do? Dance class? Indoor netball?
 whippedboi
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/31/2013 10:26:07 AM

i've been in the gym for about 25 years now

wow that's a long time, it must be a 24/7 gym obviously- with internet hookup now

you really should get out of there, go home, to a job, see the outdoors, etc.
 whippedboi
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/31/2013 5:56:56 PM

any other stupid comments

no. I have to assume that you skipped English class to go to the gym. Everyone has their own priorities though.
 pseriouslyt44
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/31/2013 7:30:32 PM
Ksyr, I dont see how Karate or Tak Won Do gets you anywhere, obviously one remain in one designated area if not a building for that matter.

Idk but that is one reason I enjoyed jogging out in the open, although I love to go to the Gym. But if I go, I am going to use the weight lifting equipments, to pump up my muscles. Of course I cant be lifting weights and going places lol.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 3:30:15 AM

As I said earlier, I have already lost close to 50 pounds on a diet change, which is why I wanted to try out exercising to see if I can shed the extra 20-30 pounds I hope to lose.

Then be prepared to take 2 or more years if thats all you do.
Now you can "live" to work out or be reasonable and use both food change and exercise to help you or do it your way and get back with us in 2015

Your diet needs to be changed in some way as evident that it WAS working and now you hit a plateau.
It happens a lot. You may just need slight changes and see big changes.

Maybe you could post what foods you are eating and how much.

Working out is great but I think you expect to much.JMO of course
 DragonBits
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/1/2013 8:58:05 AM

I cannot imagine running in one spot for 2hrs, and going absolutely nowhere, in a roomful of smelly people trying to lose weight. Or going for a bike ride and staring out the window or at my own reflection for 5hrs.

Get on a real bike, or go for a run. You'll enjoy it more. That way it's not exercise as a means to an end.

Your major point is to do something that you can sustain over a lifetime, which I agree with. If you can enjoy this, it is more likely to be something you will keep doing.

Though I don't know how many people would continue to work if they won the lotto, but they do manage to keep working even though they don't really enjoy it.

Your way of reasoning and examples that demonstrate this lacks logic and shows a clear bias. You are saying what YOU enjoy more. I would agree that many start an exercise program of some sort, and abandon it after 6 months. Your bias is also somewhat about someone in a warm climate and someone under the age of 50.

Some people socialize in a gym, it is easier to do that Vs outside. A lady I see often on a cross trainer is 75, she tells me she goes to see her friends and chat for an hour while exercising. She finds this to be good exercises and enjoyable. Outside riding a bike it's difficult to chat, and even if you can it's only with one person.

If you are running outside, do you not return to where you began? If you ride a bike, do you not return to where you started? Running or riding in big circles, thus going nowhere.

Your way is not the only way, nor even the best way for everyone. Your failure to be able to imagine any other way outside of your own way is a personal failure, your way of expressing this shows a clear emotional bias.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 3:42:43 PM
Op
You are eating a lot of insulin spiking junk.

I knew it was sugar and grains..just knew it.
Don't feel bad..Its our major addiction/weight loss obstacle

Cereals, nutrigrain bars, pasta, breads,tortillas, cows milk, rice.
^^^^^^^JUNK FOOD
No ham/smoked/cured meats.

Small/6 oz steaks,a chicken breast, turkey, cold water fish should be your meats.
Not cold cuts.

Get a crock pot..

Try a breakfast that has eggs or protein packed organic plain unsweetened Greek yogurt with nuts and maybe even a strip of uncured/unsmoked bacon.. BUT NO CEREAL

Nut butters on a banana makes a good breakfast also.
Put a few raisins and cinnamon on it if you like

Instead of a nutrigrain bar as a snack have fruit or nuts.

You need the good fats in nuts
Nut butters esp almond butter are also good and fruit smoothies ( no milk) with ice or coconut water.
Add a bit of cinnamon or stevia.

Instead of cows milk use unsweetened almond or coconut milk.

No sugar No pop

Use stevia/cinnamon and flavor your waters instead of soda with herb teas or frozen fruit as ice cubes
Use lemons and limes in water

If you must have some bread for portable sandwiches AT TIMES then
get 100% whole SPROUTED grain or hemp based sprouted grain bagels that are full of protein and fiber.

Spread on coconut oil mmmmmmmmm good.
Limit even that bread to 2 slices a day or one bagel.

Its hard at first so keep FULL ( fruits, beans and veggies)

Get protein/fiber rich beans or lean turkey/chicken in you( add onions and peppers for a tex mex treat and wrap in lettuce not a tortilla) .
Jalapenos are fabulous
Always eat veggies with your protein meals. The greener the better.
Very filling.

I know you love your cereal but its NOT good to eat esp everyday and its kids SWEET cereal.. that you buy.
You could get some Ezekiel brand cinnamon raisin cereal and have a couple of times a week ,but
I would cut it out completely 3 weeks then ease that in and see how you tolerate it.

If you want sweets get a sweet potato put cinnamon and even a bit of stevia on it with coconut oil. Taste like pie.

Do it 3 weeks and with your exercise / youth on your side and I think you will be amazed.

You can do anything 3 weeks if you can go to a gym.

You can add one type of food you miss (in moderation) back in at a time over a period of about 3/4 weeks after your loss and see if that food allows you to keep the weight off.

Always have one day that you can have some special treat.(A chocolate bar or reg soda)
Keep the house full of veggies and fruit.

I would bet if you do it
you could lose that 20 in 4-5 weeks EASY

Hope this helps you.
 Skyr
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 9:36:09 PM
Posted By: dragonbits on 4/2/2013 205 AM

If you are running outside, do you not return to where you began? If you ride a bike, do you not return to where you started? Running or riding in big circles, thus going nowhere.

You experience a lot along the way, hills, trees, steps, streams, scenery, wind, rain etc etc. And you get the thrill of speed propelled by your own steam. If you ran a marathon race, does it mean you've run okm because the start/finish line tends to be in the same place?

Using your logic, one can sit in one spot and enjoy the thrill of hurtling through space in a little blue ball at at thousands of kilometers an hour, relative to another frame or reference.

Enjoyment...that's entirely subjective. But those were the reasons why many people don't enjoy going to the gym, even if they pretend otherwise.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2013 3:25:19 AM

Okay, that is all useful information, but it seems a DRASTIC change to my diet right now and what good is it if you go back to your old diet? I could probably do that for the necessary time to lose the weight I want, but I don't think I could live like that forever. I'm very committed to losing this weight now, my motivation is high so I'm willing to try things like that, but once the weight is gone, won't it just come back?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes it is drastic compared to what you do now.
But you will not crave the junk in 3 weeks if you do it right.
Don't keep it in your home is the best way and none of that work snacking..Take something with you.

Why would the weight come back if you dont go back to all the sugar and grains every day?

No one says you cant EVER have any of those things again.
You have to monitor what makes you gain and what wont.How much your system tolerates.

If you keep a min 3 fruits and 6 veggies a day with your proper protein/beans /nuts you aren't going to have a lot of room for crap.

Later it will be even easier and easier.
That includes sugary /salty condiments on foods ( catsup is the worst as far as addictive IMO)

The results you see and feel will be more important than all that sugar also.

You can add one of those things like a good whole Cereal for breakfast or the sprouted grain bread/bagels back >ONE at a time and give it a 2/3 weeks. Check cravings they may trigger.
Every time you add something you need to keep a check on your weight and cravings..

I would add the sprouted bread first as a sandwich which is an easy meal on the run.
But so are protein OR fruit smoothies.
Brown rice/pea for example..read that label NO SUGAR ..read the ingredients not the nutritional column to find hidden sugars/bad fillers.

You may find you crave a sweet potato/something else more than you think over some of the other things you eat.

Nuts are fab for weight loss and appetite management.
So is coconut oil
Walnuts and almonds are really good.A couple of Brazil nuts for selenium and sunflower seeds.
Dont go crazy with them ( not a cup)..but you can enjoy nuts ....2 palms a day as a good guideline or 15/20 nuts twice a day to start

Throw hemp, chia or ground flax seeds on your veggies .
Season those beans with a sugar free salsa.

You have to know how to read a label of ingredients ( the more ingredients the worse for you) and their tricky words for sugar and make your own things sometimes.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:46:51 AM

I know I could not stick to the diet peppermint wrote permanently. I could crash into that diet and try to manage my cravings, but I'm not sure how I would cope. I think gradually working towards a diet that is closer to that would be more successful. Like, starting by cutting out the sugary cereals for a week or two, then trying something else. It might be slower results but it will likely be longer term success.

Its not a * diet* Its a very healthy way to eat/live. But you will lose weight and feel better.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Go two weeks my way and be strict. Then you alter somewhat. Give yourself some options.

You could do what a few of my clients have done and kept in check.

My way 4 days a week and their way 2/3 days a week but only AFTER weight loss. With you I say after half of what you want to lose so thats a min of10 pounds.

2 days on then a day off ( learn to like a less sugary/processed cereal/know what a serving of cereal IS). Its not a huge bowl and add something that makes it better/more filling to you/bananas/ raisins) or maybe do your sandwiches or tortillas those 2/3 day) but stick to other the basics .
I even have difficulty after all these years to get all the greens in I need at times.
I just DO IT.
Throw on a huge pot of spinach/kale/snow peas and just eat it..

If you get most of the sugar, processed food and grains out of your life ( even if just 4 days a week) you will have it so much easier in over all health the rest of your life.

Everything can be individualized/altered somewhat.

I indulge on date nights or beach days with no worries about ever gaining any back.
2 days of some indulgences is all my system can tolerate and feel good. Its as much about health, fighting disease and illness as weight/fat.

We are here to encourage you and not berate you.
Someone with encouragement will succeed up to 15/20 times better than those that do not in my experience.

I can only imagine what he was eating before he made those changes, but it definitely wasn't a case of over eating wholesome foods.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^My thoughts also

Op you have come a long way and thats great, but you need some MORE changes.
Heck you can eat a lot more food..if its whole food.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:43:37 PM

That being said, Thursday is going to be almost impossible. I have a 3 course lunch to attend AND a 3 course dinner. How on earth do you eat healthy at these corporate functions? Good, free food is my downfall, I swear. I can't exactly sit there and not eat.

^^^^^^^

Thats one day OP.
Don't worry.
Keep away from sauces, gravy's, alcohol and sweets.

Healthy eating is not expensive unless you count spices and nuts and a few things that are meant to last. Big jars of coconut oil at c*stco( extra virgin organic) is about the same as a few ounces elsewhere for example.

Shop at bulk stores for those types of things or online

A #4 at boooger king cost more than a 5 pound bag of apples.

Whole sprouted grain bread..not whole grain..big dif. But it's a start.

I have high hopes for you to obtain your goals.

Read your labels and YES sprouted grains are expensive COMPARED to white bread so you have a full blown excuse to limit how much you eat.
Have bread a couple of days a week instead.

Thats probably more reasonable for you at this time.

You have come far already and there is no reason other than yourself that you can't get where you want to be.

I think you will do good since you went out and spent money on real foods.
Good for you good for you and good for you.

Help your neighbours shovel their snow, go and chop some wood for your summer camping, bike to the corner store instead of using your car. Besides going to the gym, you can burn over 1000cals daily just by doing a little extra.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He has a J*O*B. He isn't living on poppas inheritance.
 statemachine500
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/8/2013 6:40:29 PM

I am overweight, even though I may not look it in my profile picture. I am just under 200 pounds, which is about 25 pounds too much for a person who is 6ft.

Based upon what standard? I hover around 190 to 210 year round and rest assured I am not overweight. Also I am 5' 11" roughly, now if your talking body fat percentage then maybe. I'm just curious as to what standards you are trying to adhere to? Personal body image goes along way and when I was 180 and I thought I was too fat. But then I realized that I'm comfortable at 190 and can still out run a few guys at my weight plus I don't starve myself by being 180.

200 lbs is not "heavy"for 6 foot,but he is holding weight in the hips/midsection,his upper body is obviously undersized.He needs to shift the weight.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:34:07 AM

Yoghurt and currants for breakfast was delicious! Had lots of fruit throughout the day (3 tangerines, 1 banana and a bunch of grapes) plus a couple of palms of cashews. Lunch was just a chicken, greek yoghurt, apple and curry spice wrap in a lettuce leaf (tasty!) I felt energetic enough, went to the gym after work and was fine, so it seems okay.

FABULOUS..

Incorporate the beans soon.

Good for you!!

I have a friend thats a member of a bulk store and gets a couple of things for me. So I'm lucky
You can get to a wally mart though and/or shop online.

As long as you are eating enough good foods, dont worry about it being to fast. It will slow down.

It could be water/waste material you are loosing with the fat or your body said "whoa this is real food" and is burning fat not turning into fat and than having to burn off after you consume it.

It will slow down .
Eat every 3/4 hours even if just a few nuts or an apple.

A pound a day is not uncommon when starting a whole foods program "at first" esp with men for some reason .

Dont mix bread and eggs/meats ( animal protein) at meals at first.

The lettuce wrap ..Im very proud of you!!

I would suggest
If you want toast or bread have toast or bread ( limit) with a healthy non animal fat like coconut oil or another omega 3 oil with cinnamon then have your animal protein after 45 minutes for a while or limit that combination.
( eggs/yogurt/ meat )

You can buy unsweetened coconut or almond milk that doesnt need refrigeration until you open it.
Take a small insulated bag for your yogurt.

You stick with this and dont weigh every day.Once a week is enough and more accurate.
I think you will be surprised/pleased..

If you lose 5 pounds a week the first 2 weeks then keep your 2 slices of spouted grain bread a day and dont worry about it.
You have youth and HGH production on your side for now.

Exercise will only help you somewhat in the weight dept but its very good for muscle tone/stamina so I would exercise.

You do this now while still young and you wont have the issues many do at 40 and my age.

After your 20 pound loss then weighing once a month to keep in check is enough.

If you go up in weight then go up on veggies and fruits, if you go down more than you feel happy with add some of your whole grains.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2013 3:25:44 AM
^^^^^^^

You come back and update in a bit OP!!

Good for you!!!

15 pounds in a few weeks is great esp since you are not obese to begin with
 tallshyman
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2013 8:15:51 PM

Okay, so first of all, I am not a huge fan of conventional exercise. I do not see the enjoyment people can get from going to a gym. I can see the benefits of it, but not the enjoyment.

I was skinny like you when I join a gym. take whey protein 3 times a day and you will have some muscles to show off from working out at the gym.
 DragonBits
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:31:56 AM
Really being Self conscious at a gym is a problem, on the other hand reality is unless you are a bmi above 40 or your legs look like sticks, meaning you look like out of a concentration camp, or if you look like the hulk, no one will pay attention to anyone that is thin to fat. They only notice those that really, really, really stand out.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >