Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with cigarette smoke      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 126
Dealing with cigarette smokePage 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Hey BabblingBrookes, do me next!

Oh come on! You're in your 20's, so your face is barely old enough to show the signs of sun damage, let alone smoke damage. And your teeth aren't showing...and you have facial hair. Mid 20's, no teeth showing and facial hair to hide the cheek area. There's no way I'll get even close. Um...18? That's my best guess based on skin texture, but that could just be photo quality.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 127
Dealing with cigarette smoke
Posted: 3/27/2013 12:52:53 PM

Aura1shine
Nothing but the real him exposed here......manipulated his profile to have a contact for a date, and hope she will stick around after the truth came out. A trace of an passive aggressive be behavior to get what he wants. I see the same as the guy I dated once. At first seeing each other, everything in his house is cleaned without any objects of woman around which lead me to believe I was the only one he was dating. Time passed to be months, then sudden something begins to appeared as a hair tie with some woman hairs stick with it (he is bald). I fled!

Are some of Y'all really this gullible? Really, really?
The OP indicated the that he did not say either way in his profile on Match....Come on, it's a yes or no question.......
"Do you Smoke???
NO.......If he answered this way and smoked it's a lie..

But if he answered any of the below, then he's a Smoker....
Yes, Occasionally, All the time, Trying to Quit, and the biggest red flag of all.....
DECLINE TO SAY........

Would a non-smoker answer "Do you Smoke"? with "Decline to Say"?
 Aura1shine
Msg: 128
Posted: 3/27/2013 2:46:53 PM
If the non-smoker answer "Decline to Say", then I would think what does he have hidden. No, he is not a cigarettes smoker, nor a cigar, may be hem.....a list goes on.....cracks, cocaine, or any other addictive inhalers. Well, it is a red flag for ME.
 ZombiezRock
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:35:35 PM
Im a smoker, who tried dating a non smoker even though he chewed ( not even close to a good situation)

when i had time to shower right before seeing him, and didnt smoke for hours before our date and put on my pretty smelling stuff he did good. Plus I chewed a lot of gum. He knew I smoked so I didnt hide it , i was just trying to be respectful of his non smoking status.

My car is pretty much a no smoking zone, ive maybe smoked in there a few times, and my house can go weeks with out me smoking in it, but a non smoker can smell it soooo easily that it is an issue no matter what. even coming in from outside after smoking one, its on your clothes , your breath all that. And after three years of dating finally the issue of me smoking came up, not the act itself the smell. And I was left going well ****. lol other than quitting I already do what I can to keep the smell to a minimum even stressed myself out about it a lot.

non smokers that are sensitive to the smell, and its a complete and 100 % turn off really has no business dating a smoker.... because it will become an issue every single time.

sorry, seems you might have something here but smoking isnt just a "thing" its a life style and addiction so the more pressure put on someone to quit, or the guilt of the smell really actually does the opposite makes smokers smoke more. its a stress thing.

wish you luck, but i dont think this is going to work out for you. or sadly for him.
 ZombiezRock
Msg: 130
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:39:14 PM
hey babbling do me next!! wooot
 sigungq
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:41:35 PM
OP, I DON'T deal with smoke, because it's a deal breaker.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/27/2013 6:01:42 PM

ZombiezRock
non smokers that are sensitive to the smell, and its a complete and 100 % turn off really has no business dating a smoker.... because it will become an issue every single time.

sorry, seems you might have something here but smoking isnt just a "thing" its a life style and addiction so the more pressure put on someone to quit, or the guilt of the smell really actually does the opposite makes smokers smoke more. its a stress thing.

wish you luck, but i dont think this is going to work out for you. or sadly for him.

It's only an issue if one of them makes it an issue. I know many smoker/non-smoker couples who been together for years and years and they make it work out fine, because they want to. I also know couples where one drinks and the other doesn't, same thing, it works because they want to make it work........

In my personal experience, those who complain the most about the smell are Ex-Smokers. They seen to be even more sensitive to the smell of smoke than those who never have smoked.......

Me Too.
 SpiritLove2009
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 6:20:40 PM
If you stated in your profile that smoking is a deal breaker, then it should have been. I have found that if I want to be taken seriously then I have to mean what I say.

There are a lot of very serious reasons why I finally walked away from a 4-month relationship, but right at the top was the smoking one cigarette after another, even when I bought him the e-cigs and pulled strings to get him free hypnotherapy. Smoking wasn't the only habit that was making him as sick as he appeared to be at 47 years old , and which caused his heart attack, and the smoking caused worse things than just that horrible cigarette smell, of which I will spare the disgusting details.

What really pushed me over the edge was when one of my girlfriends' boyfriend of 15 years passed away at the age of 50 recently. I told my ex all about it while the guy was dying and he remained in total denial. I told him that I was not going invest my life in a relationship with him, only to lose him in a few short years. He still didn't take me seriously, all the while coughing and puking, and completely losing his voice.

Three weeks ago, I stopped replying to his messages and blocked him from whatever I could. Now he is telling everyone that I dumped him for no reason. Denial is denial and when denial is the engine of a person's existence, it tends to generalize to all areas of their life. And that, my friend, is an even bigger deal-breaker for me.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/27/2013 6:23:25 PM

Me Too.

Me Three!
 Debyduz_
Msg: 135
Posted: 3/28/2013 10:37:08 AM
Smoking is also a deal breaker for me. I get sick if I am around it or even in a place people have smoked. Funny thing is I used to smoke. My doctor think I could be allergic. I get severe bronchitis any time I am near it.

You just have to tell him and end it.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 136
Posted: 3/29/2013 11:41:47 AM
Haha, ok you guys win. I'm pretty sure the karma coming my way is already bad enough as it is.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/31/2013 10:25:44 PM
It's a fairly safe bet to guess low. Suppose the guy in question is in his mid-forties. Guessing 18 is safe, especially since it's near the legal age for smoking anyway. If he started at 14, 18 is not far off, so it's a win. If he started at 30, the guesser can argue that (Wow!) smoking does SO much damage in SUCH a short time, one more reason not to smoke (since that is what the guessing is all about, even if the guess was off). The only time the guesser would be wrong without a good argument against smoking is if the candidate is really a non-smoker. So I'm guessing one of the volunteers is a non-smoker trying to bust the guesser. Am I right?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/31/2013 10:46:48 PM

This thread is about the nastiness of smoking.

No, no it is not. If that was your take-away, a re-read of the opening post is in order.
 victorianist
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/1/2013 7:12:18 AM

Hey Gods Gift, you must have been severly hurt by a smoker, or you live a very small sheltered life. I think you're confusing smokers with homeless meth addicts.

Everyone has been hurt by smokers. Some moderately, some severely - but all have been hurt. That's why so many people in so many places put so much effort into driving smoking entirely out of human society. I'm extraordinarily pleased to live in a place that has successfully reduced rate of smokers to just below 15%. The latest move to ban smoking in parks and on beaches will reduce it still further. The next big drive will be to ban smoking in all public places - including streets and sidewalks.

Everywhere on earth in every country and every community there is a war raging against nicotine addition. You don't have to like it but do have to live with it. The anti-smokers are winning. Until the last tobacco plant on earth is plowed under, the battle rages. Did I mention the smokers are losing the fight?
 victorianist
Msg: 140
Posted: 4/1/2013 8:49:28 AM
Human society has had drug addicts as long as human history has kept records and will likely always have drug addicts. That's no reason we should accept or tolerate drug addicts.
 Maleman999
Msg: 141
Posted: 4/1/2013 10:04:28 AM
This is why I never go to church. I don't want to get lung cancer from the priest burning incense. Not only does he burn it, but he walks around waving that crucible on a chain in front of people, forcing them to breath in the incense smoke. Why don't anti-smoking in public places bylaws apply to churches? (lol)
 motherbee
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/1/2013 10:13:13 AM
i do not think he lied he just didn't say one way or the other ,
i smoke , i was a nurse for 28 years , smoke since i was 14 smokeing is what you make of it , no more no less.
if its a deal breaker then stop seeing him and stop biching about it i also try to use E- CIGG but its far from the same , i think of it this way every thing we do can kill us , so we are told . live with it or stop seeing him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 want to travel
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 10:17:54 AM
Well,I hate cigarette smoke,both my parent smoked,I smoked when I was in the Forces,it was hell quitting those things
but,hell,it just seems the world has gone crazy,give up the chance to be with your 'soul mate' because he or she, has a bad habit!?
give your head a shake folks!
 motherbee
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/1/2013 10:18:55 AM
also some time ago i was the head of 5 dept. i could not go on break on lunch at smokeing lunch, i took it on a no smokeing time .

i was told by a girl who was very obese i was at the wrong lunch .
my reply to her was if you disliked food as much as cigg you be thin !!!
 Paderic
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/1/2013 3:28:26 PM

give up the chance to be with your 'soul mate' because he or she, has a bad habit!?

That's easy. Someone who smokes is not my soul mate, I would be giving up nothing in this hypothetical situation.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/1/2013 3:50:33 PM
smoking is on my profile as a deal breaker

When dating, Me too ... Except I mean exactly that.
Buh-bye.
 daynadaze
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 4:12:48 PM
How would they be your soulmate (such a dumb term) if they had a habit/addiction that was not only hazardous to their health but to the health of living things they come into contact with? The idea that some people are so horrible because they wouldn't date a smoker because they could be missing a great love is just so much crap, if you are not a match, you are not a match, you won't be missing out if you don't want to date a smoker, or a drinker, or a meth head, if it's wrong for you, they are not your *soulmate*. That's like saying, so what if he/she is an alcoholic, it could be your soulmate...so what if they shoot up heroin, they could be your soulmate...so what if they are in prison, they could be your soulmate LOL Come on, if someone has a habit or hobby that is totally against your needs in a relationship, they are not going to be your wondrous love of a life time. Nobody has to accept what's unacceptable for them, just to have someone. This is just silly.

If the man is a smoker, OP has to accept or not accept it, according to what it is that she's looking for. It doesn't matter if it's smoking or just being lazy or skydiving, it's a choice we each have to make based on what's best for us, not what anyone else thinks.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 148
Posted: 4/1/2013 5:20:23 PM
ok, nogamegurl, if it isn't an addiction, and if you are not dependant on the nicotine, then why is it so hard for people to quit.....dah???
 Paderic
Msg: 149
Posted: 4/1/2013 5:33:11 PM

It's hard for people to quit because it's so awesome.

Yeah, the best part is the reduced life expectancy.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 5:33:16 PM

Everyone has been hurt by smokers

I'm a non-smoker, but I still call BS , when I see it .

Show me medical proof that everyone has been harmed by cig smoking ..!!
If your going to spew ignorance like this ... back it up !
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with cigarette smoke