Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with cigarette smoke      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hounddoug
Msg: 151
Dealing with cigarette smokePage 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Yeah, the best part is the reduced life expectancy.

While the non-smokers get the last laugh: in a nursing home in their 80's with a debilitating non-smoking related disease, unable to do anything for the next ten years. Ah yes, this is the life.
 whippedboi
Msg: 152
Dealing with cigarette smoke
Posted: 4/1/2013 5:58:46 PM

Everyone has been hurt by smokers!

everyone has been hurt by car drivers. selfish pig! many people have been hurt/killed by y'all supporting the military-industrial complex killing machine..
 MsMaggieMay
Msg: 153
Posted: 4/1/2013 6:19:11 PM
The strangest thing I have found about smokers is that when you are having a deep and intense kiss you notice a strange taste. Kind of sour I would say. It's not something you would notice is a quick kiss,but in the longer kisses that taste lingers. When you are young and in love you will put up with all sorts of things though.
 Maleman999
Msg: 154
Posted: 4/1/2013 6:23:26 PM
I guess I should feel safe health wise. Never smoked, never had any desire to smoke. But I'm subjected to a lot of second hand smoke regardless, but not from smokers. I live in an industrial city with a lot of factories and when you look at the sky line at one end of the city, all you see are smoke stacks from factories spewing out tons of smoke 24/7. There are times when I've come back into town after being away and when going down the hill to town, all that can be seen is a yellow cloudy haze covering the whole city. People who work in those factories and park their cars in the company parking lot are often complaining about the ruined paint on their cars from the chemicals. And these places have a no smoking in company premises policy supposedly to protect workers from second hand smoke.
 dpwesu
Msg: 155
Posted: 4/1/2013 6:26:27 PM
well for me....smoking is an absolute deal breaker for me as I am very allergic to it.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 156
Posted: 4/1/2013 6:51:16 PM
The strangest thing I have found about smokers is that when you are having a deep and intense kiss you notice a strange taste. Kind of sour I would say. It's not something you would notice is a quick kiss, but in the longer kisses that taste lingers. When you are young and in love you will put up with all sorts of things though.

In addition to this, I noticed that the smokers I kissed all had a slimy coating on their tongue. I tolerated it in the '70s because so many people smoked back then, I didn't know the difference.

It was a bit of a shock to finally kiss someone who was a nonsmoker and who didn't have a slimy tongue---then go back to kissing a smoker later on. I could immediately feel the difference---and I thought it was gross. Shortly thereafter, I stopped dating men who smoked.
 shine1274
Msg: 157
Posted: 4/1/2013 6:54:10 PM
One of my favorite memories was being a poor teenager sharing a cigarette with a girlfriend in bed. We had nothing but $5, a couple Marlboros, and each other. We dreamed of more, but were content with life in that moment.

I quit in 1999. I still sympathize with the smokers.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 158
Posted: 4/2/2013 5:37:32 AM

Everyone has been hurt by smokers

I disagree with this. I believe you've been harmed if you're a child living in a smoker's home. A child can't escape and second hand smoke is harmful. You can avoid second hand smoke easily as an adult. Especially if you live in a city that bans smoking in public places.

I'm not open to dating smokers, but I don't think they should be abolished or anything. So long as they're only harming themselves, let them smoke. *shrug*
 Paderic
Msg: 159
Posted: 4/2/2013 7:38:09 AM
While the non-smokers get the last laugh: in a nursing home in their 80's with a debilitating non-smoking related disease, unable to do anything for the next ten years. Ah yes, this is the life.

As opposed to dying 10 to 20 years earlier with a debilitating disease? If you think dying from lung disease is quick and painless, you're delusional.
 whippedboi
Msg: 160
Posted: 4/2/2013 7:54:08 AM
^^

yeah I know, smokerS, alkies, drug abusers always say something like this..

"well I don't want the last 10 years in a nursing home anyway"

as if abusing substances means you will be perfectly healthy up until your last moment, then die earlier.

more likely you will go into the nursing home much younger (at 60 maybe, be in misery for 10 years ,then die at 70, while the non-users may just be going into he home at 75+ )
 hounddoug
Msg: 161
Posted: 4/2/2013 8:54:27 AM

If you think dying from lung disease is quick and painless, you're delusional.

I'm not delusional at all, I'm quite grounded in reality. The delusion is most people think that lung disease is caused mainly by cigarettes; so they **** and moan at the smokers because they can. And the odds of prostate cancer are much higher than lung cancer for me.
 whippedboi
Msg: 162
Posted: 4/2/2013 12:51:46 PM
^^
De Nial, not just a river..

Seriously people...I wish we would all be more informed than not. We believe everything that is been told to us and just jump on a bandwagon...As someone above mentioned, no one has taken the industries that release pollutants into the air the same way that they've taken on the cigarette industry. Not saying that it's wrong, just saying that cultures have smoked for hundreds of years the actual chemicals are not in the nicotine but in the delivery. Sadly we can spend eons researching because we never consider our sources. I found one source claiming that nicotine is a carcinogen and another that claimed it is not. The one claiming it was a carcinogen claimed that the results are not final and they are not ready to make an official claim of it. Nevermind the reality of the dosages that are given to lab mice in order to support the claims. Just like with the artificial sugars the amounts that were given to mice were so extreme that the argument against was that no human would ever consume the same equivalent in their lifetime....

really, with the MASSIVE amount sof money at stake, the $$$ tens of billions the tobacco companies have to spend on PR, propaganda, lobbying, buying politicians, etc..

you think anyone could get away with saying it's carcinogenic if it weren't? especially in litigation-happy USA ? without being the defendant in a multi-billion $$ lawsuit filed by each of the big US tobacco companies?

it's not just one or 2 random people, scientists..it's hundreds of them over 60 years or more

forget the "studies"just try to apply common sense. how could ANY smoke, burning substance NOT be harmful when concentrated & sucked into your lungs? your lungs were not intended for this.
 vestaceres
Msg: 163
Posted: 4/2/2013 1:28:21 PM
The particle residue from the smoke that embeds itself in your clothing can still make you sick.

This is why I don't date smokers.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 164
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:03:24 PM
^^^^^^ How could she expect to get constructive advice about how to deal with smoking if no one had any opinion about it one way or another?
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 165
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:44:25 PM
Halcyon, individual opinions probably don't matter. Obviously, pretty much all ex-smokers have changed their minds at some point, and it's a fact that smoke bothers a lot of non-smokers and most smokers are addicted. And we can assume that facts about health risks are known to smokers.

Solutions are along the lines of:
- him smoking only outside
- him brushing teeth or chewing mints after a smoke
- him changing clothes before a date
- her being a tad forgiving about some smoke residue on him
- him cutting back or entirely pausing while with her

If both are a bit accommodating, it can work.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 166
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:47:56 PM
I quit smoking over 13 yrs ago.. and I was a pretty sick girl...

I had non stop bronchitis, sinus infections, asthma(still have it now ) and Pleurisy once(THAT is painful)

I prolly quit a 100 times before it stuck.. and it ONLY stuck because i was DESPERATE for change.. and the withdrawal was horrifying for me.. The funny thing is.. everytime i got pregnant with my kids.. i would JUST quit.. till they were like one.. no pain at all. But when i finally quit for good.. I felt great loss... EXTREME urges.

So, i do have pity for those who need to quit.

And heres my dating story.. 3 yrs ago I started dating a smoker who said.. "he rarely smokes.. and wont around me" And he was a fitness instructor.. seemed ludicrous that he would smoke anyhoo.

He smoked like a half a pack a day and always outside when we first dated. Always seemed to have clean breath, and it was no big deal. As we started getting serious.. he decided to quit. I was very supportive. He made it 21 days.. then fell off the wagon so hard he was smoking like a chimney!! Started smoking IN THE CAR with me in it.

I was NOT supportive.. The End..
 jlynn1955
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:55:37 PM
It's an absolute deal breaker with me. No room for compromise. Even if they say "social smoker" whatever that is. You think you can ask a guy you've been seeing for a couple of weeks to quit smoking? Good luck with that.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 168
Posted: 4/3/2013 7:35:49 PM
Halcyon, individual opinions probably don't matter. Obviously, pretty much all ex-smokers have changed their minds at some point, and it's a fact that smoke bothers a lot of non-smokers and most smokers are addicted. And we can assume that facts about health risks are known to smokers.

Solutions are along the lines of:
- him smoking only outside
- him brushing teeth or chewing mints after a smoke
- him changing clothes before a date
- her being a tad forgiving about some smoke residue on him
- him cutting back or entirely pausing while with her

Those are solutions based on your opinions. My opinion is this:
He was deceptive with the OP and told her he smoked e-cigarettes, when he actually still smoked real ones. If she can tolerate this type of prevarication, she's welcome to try to make it work. Personally, I would consider it to be a deal-breaker.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 169
Posted: 4/3/2013 10:14:10 PM
^^ Zealousness tends to apply to converts generally IMO.

In any event, the OP wanted some thoughts on how to deal with the smell and how to persuade him, if it was possible, to take up the e-cigarettes again or to quit, and she seemed satisfied with the on-topic answers and with her own actions regarding this, as updated.

We may yet hear from her again to say either that he's quit or that she decided she couldn't deal because he wouldn't, and I, for one, liked her and would be interested in any update.

It would be nice if it weren't buried in the Eternal Smoking Debate should she decide to return and let us know how it's going.
 Paderic
Msg: 170
Posted: 4/4/2013 6:34:11 AM

I'm not delusional at all, I'm quite grounded in reality. The delusion is most people think that lung disease is caused mainly by cigarettes; so they **** and moan at the smokers because they can. And the odds of prostate cancer are much higher than lung cancer for me.

Guess what? Smoking also increases the risk for prostate cancer.

Lung disease refers to more than just lung cancer. Ever heard of emphysema? If you're going to be a lifelong smoker, I suggest you get acquainted with it.

Smokers are foul smelling and obnoxious. That's primarily why nonsmokers don't enjoy the company of smokers. That you don't like hearing the truth does not make it pissing and moaning.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 171
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:15:56 AM

??!????!??
What?
This makes as much sense as saying that someone owes it to another person to overlook their weight, sloppy dressing, sedentary lifestyle, lack of job, etc.
I find smokers to be most unattractive on multiple levels. Smoking is associated with a variety of less desirable lifestyle factors. I am not compatible with smokers and have no interest in "accommodating" a distasteful habit.

No one is obligated to overlook a trait that they find repulsive and unattractive.
If I decided not to date someone who hunts, it doesn't really matter if he does it miles away from me and changes clothes, takes a shower, etc. before our date.
No amount of distance will make the habit of smoking tolerable in a partner.
It is a true dealbreaker for me.
In my perspective, it is a basic incompatibility in lifestyle pursuits. No amount of soap or dry cleaning can expunge the differences.

P.S. Smokers, snuff dippers, etc. are perfectly welcome to pursue their habits. Not sure why they think there are "logical" and defensible reasons why they feel others are obligated to accept it.
I would be repulsed by a guy with a diaper fetish as much as a smoker. To me, they are both self-indulgent past times.
It is a major TURN OFF. Period.
 Paderic
Msg: 172
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:55:38 AM

Hey Paderic, don't confuse the pineapple up your ass with Truth. That's very bold and obnoxious for you to claim.

Pineapple? I guess it's better than having my brains located there like most smokers I know...
 AthatitaApudetat
Msg: 173
Posted: 4/4/2013 9:37:41 AM
The surgeon general has stated that nicotine is no worst than caffine. It's the tar and other poisons that cause cancer. The reason for their bringing this up was people smoking "E-cig" in public So they brought out the science stuff. As far as airports It's not the nicotine on E-cig that is the issue, it's the uninforemed public whinning about them. This thread like so many shows me how uninformed and the lack of initiative to find out the trueth before opening their mouth. Smoking is physically addictive but nicotine stays in the system for a short time and the physical craving for about 2 weeks. The rest is all mental so when you have an urge to smike its all in your mind because of habit mostly related to stress. So end run Smoke E-cig if you got to and find a positive habit to deal with stress and you can quit smoking. Excersising everyday will also help relieve stress which in turn helps against smoking.
 AthatitaApudetat
Msg: 174
Posted: 4/4/2013 9:48:38 AM

Smokers are foul smelling and obnoxious. That's primarily why nonsmokers don't enjoy the company of smokers. That you don't like hearing the truth does not make it pissing and moaning.

Really? I could point out that most people I meet are foul smelling and obnoxious and most don't smoke. I won't say any names on this forum but staying current on this forum I can already tell a few obnoxious people on here. That is a very rude obnoxious general statement you made. I would hang out with a smoker and even date one but I doubt I could hang out one second with someone who plurts out these kind of statments.
 Paderic
Msg: 175
Posted: 4/4/2013 10:01:13 AM

That is a very rude obnoxious general statement you made. I would hang out with a smoker and even date one but I doubt I could hang out one second with someone who plurts out these kind of statments.

You can hang out with whomever you please, it's no skin off my nose.

Like they say, sometimes the truth hurts. Smokers claim they don't stink, but they do. And cigarette smoke is obnoxious.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dealing with cigarette smoke