Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 93
who is the number 1 sporting legend?Page 2 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
and who is better at baseball the u.s or japan ? CUBA
What league is the best? MLB no question...retiring MLB players go to Japan and do well.Japanese STARS come to the MLB and do well to ok.Japanese baseball leagues are like the Spanishleague in basketball compared to the NBA.

As far as sports legends are concerned of course ALi is #1 and Pele is #2. Hockey,cycling,golf,tennis,even track and feild don't have the global following of boxing and futbol(football/soccer).Tiger Woods is certainly a HUGE name and without question the most global figure gold has EVER produced.Still,he doesn't have NEARLY the name recognition in Colombia as he does in the US.Ali and Pele are known on EVER continent in every nation.Also,testiment to their LEGEND is the FACT that they've BOTH been retired for decades.
 1newfishtoo
Msg: 95
who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Posted: 9/26/2005 3:07:19 PM
Ali knocked Forman out in the repeat match. I believe that Foreman beat him
in the first fight.

I don't know in what span you are counting, including amateur racing, but I quite sure
that stat is for Professional wins I believe according to Velo News. Or you're the expert and
everyone at Velo News is wrong you're telling me.

Second I didn't know that this was a popularity contest. The Title was not who is the most
popular, but the greatest. On that note it comes down to Merckx or Gretzky. Those two dominated their respective sports more than any other athlete. But given the demands of cycling, I would place Merckx first.

Trailblazer
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/26/2005 4:09:56 PM
Ali knocked Forman out in the repeat match. I believe that Foreman beat him
in the first fight.

Come on dude give it up,you were WAAAAY OFF! This internet is sooo funny.How can you actually post an opinion about something you have no knowledge of,get corrected then without even checking a source come back and make similar false statements? Its the internet,do a search and you will find Ali-Foreman only occured ONCE! It was billed as Rumble in the Jungle,undefeated champForeman the most feared man in the sport was knocked out by Ali. Ali in his prime(before USA unlawfully stripped him of his rights)was UNDEFEATED! Mereck only won 35% of his races in his prime,even far LESS when you look at his career including post prime.Pls,LOOK IT UP!

The Title was not who is the most popular, but the greatest.

Let me COPY the thread's TITLE for you:who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Does this help? Come on now,it doesn't say most popular nor greatest,rather the title #1 sporting legend encompases BOTH and more. Regardless,an athlete with a 35% OR LESS winning record doesn't qualify He can be YOUR favorite........but #1 does imply worldwide recognition, more so than popularity.I doubt many cyclist period are well known in Fiji,Manilla,Hong Kong,New Deli,Brasilia,Adis Ababa,Legos,Veracruz,Kingston,Moscow,ect.
Ali and Pele BOTH have this........few(Jordan,Woods maybe/remotely Maradona) even come close.

If the question was about #1Canadian sports legend the answer would be Gretzky,greatest Belgian cyclist Eddy Mereckx......#1 sports legend? Ali ............................#2Pele
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/26/2005 8:37:06 PM

MJ's jumpman symbol is more recognized around the world than the Mickey Mouse symbol,

Yep,I was surprised to hear many Chinese in mainland China who recognized the symbol for what and who it represents.I mean the Chinese govt. worked so hard to keep the masses away from western influence of marketing and...there is the JORDAN symbol and recognition of it. Kinda amazing.
 boxman
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/27/2005 10:58:26 AM
I have to agree that it must be considered by spurt, although I might disagree with some of the choices

Golf - Arnold Palmer
Hockey - Boom Boom Geoffrian
Basket Ball - Larry Bird
Football - Johnny Unitas
Baseball - Babe Ruth and the Hammer
Nascar - Richard Petty
Bicycling - Whoever invented the Schwinn
Soccer - Pele`
Wrestling -Freddie Blassie
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/27/2005 4:15:05 PM
I disagree,that it must be considered by SPORT but here are my choices by sport:
Ahtletics-Jesse Owens/Carl Lewis
Baseball-many greats......but I'd pick Oscar Charleston..yep..look him up
Basketball-Jordan...played and bested Magic, Bird,Zeke,Barkley,Glide,the glove and Mailman
Boxing-Ali.......as legend....Suger Ray Robinson as artist
AmericanFootball-Jim Brown-Ilove Sweetness,Jonny U was amazing but Jim Brown was a 1 man team.
Futbol(football/soccer)Pele
Golf-Tiger Woods-Palmer and Nicklaus never had his worldwide LEGEND....WAIT,Golf may be considered a sport but golfers are NOT necessarily athletic.I really think golf and autosports should be regarded as bowling an shuffleboard.
Gymnastics-Nadia Comaneci
Hockey-Gretzky
Motorsports-is this really a sport? certainly ranks with golf as 1 of the least athletic of "sports"
Tennis-Pete Sampras
Wrestling-Ghulum Mohammed the Great Gama

Still,the thread CLEARLY states #1 sports LEGEND.......of ALL sports that is Ali followed by Pele then Jordan.
 HughJrection
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:56:21 PM
Michael Jordan hands down. Even though I hate basketball with a passion.
 jiszam
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/30/2005 4:02:55 PM
War is also just a game played on a more destructive level.Guess he just needed to up his intensity level.

I think Royce Gracie.As he completely changed the way all martial artisists as well as boxing,kickboxing and wrestlers thought about real life fighting.And almost any human on the planet would know who he was.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/11/2005 7:16:37 AM
The thread's topic is #1 sporting legend,NOT best athlete,not most popular in a particular region but #1 sports legend.

Now, as to who was the greatest BASKETBALL player is more subjective.I think basketball being a TEAM oriented game should have its greatest player to have the best TEAM and INDIVIDUAL accomplishments. Wilt has the best individual accomplishments(mostly due to the era)but basketball being a team sport requires team success.How many NBA titles did Wilt win?
When evaluating greatest basketball player and looking at both team and individual accomplishments the nominees would be:Bill Russell,Kareem Abdul Jabar,Oscar Robertson,Wilt Chamberlin,Magic Johnson,Larry Bird,Shaquille O'neal and Micheal Jordan.
The player with the most impressive COMBINATION of titles(and skills) is: Micheal Jordan
 DanQuixote
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/13/2005 8:21:45 AM
Boxing Legend: Jack Dempsey- plaster in the gloves when he fought Willard, hobo to heavyweight champ, married to Estelle Taylor (siren of the silent screen), painting of getting knocked out of the ring by the Wild Bull of the Pampas-Luis Firpo. 13 knockdowns in 2 rounds... Dempsey got back in the ring and won... Battle of the long count with the first heavyweight champ to retire undefeated as champ (Gene Tunney); knocked out future champ Jack Sharkey, worked as a wrestling referee and knocked out a wrestler in the ring... down on his luck again, became broke, worked as a waiter in San Francisco and other places, customer tried to walk out on check and Dempsey got his money back ... saved up enough to open a restaurant in Manhatten and got wealthy again...

Quite a guy...

Baseball: Babe Ruth.... (need I say more?)

also Satchel Paige... who made his players get off the field (actually, that's against the rules and technically a game can't be started until there are EIGHT players between the foul lines [excluding the catcher of course]) before pitching to the all time leading home run hitter of the negro leagues, Josh Gibson in the last game of the championship series. That's the story (legend) anyway...and was also said to have thrown a baseball in Kansas City...on a bet... all the way from home plate through a HOLE in the center field fence...400 feet away...

also Steve Dalkowski.. who was rumored to have thrown a baseball through a cyclone fence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dalkowski

"...Steven Louis Dalkowski (born June 3, 1939 in New Britain, Connecticut) is a retired left-handed pitcher in minor league baseball. He is sometimes called the fastest pitcher in baseball history and had a fastball that may have exceeded 100 mph (161 km/h). Some experts believe it went as fast as 110 mph (177 km/h), others that his pitches travelled at 105 mph (169 km/h) or less (the Guinness Book of Records records the fastest pitch ever as 100.9 mph (162.4 km/h) by Nolan Ryan). As no radar gun or other device was available to measure the speed of his pitches precisely, the actual top speed of his pitches remains unknown. Regardless of its actual speed, his fastball earned him the nickname "White Lightning".

Dalkowski was also famous for his unpredictable performance and inability to control his pitches. His alcoholism and violent behavior off the field caused him problems during his career and after his retirement. After he retired from baseball, he spent many years as an alcoholic, making a meager living as a migrant worker. He recovered in the 1990s, but his alcoholism has left him with dementia and he has difficulty remembering his life after the mid-1960s.

Screenwriter and film director Ron Shelton played in the minor leagues alongside Dalkowski. His 1988 film Bull Durham features a character named "Nuke" LaLoosh (played by Tim Robbins) who is based loosely on Dalkowski."
 timdogg
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2005 7:40:09 PM
My number one sports legend would be....

(Baseball) Reggie Jackson And why cuz he was Mr October....
(Hockey) Wayne G and if you need to know his last name you are dumb...
(Football) Joe Montana
(Biking) Lance Armstrong
(Golf) Tiger woods
(Soccer) Pele
 Billy_The_Kid
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/25/2006 10:40:42 PM
Jim Brown if my favorite sporting legend. Many consider him the best football player of all time.

But I'd have to say Lance Armstrong, for all he's faced and done.
 junipermoon
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2006 12:16:15 PM
3. jordan
2. ali
1. secretariat
 wranglersnroses
Msg: 171
Posted: 7/16/2006 10:46:54 PM
Jim Thorpe...'Nuff said

As for Mr. Clay...defend him all you want to, he was a coward who chose a religion over not only serving his country, but to shed more light on himself...PERIOD!!! Funny he didn't start serving "Allah" until he knew he would be drafted. Ted Williams didn't switch religions, Audy Murphy, Hell even Elvis went and served. Don't fill me with bullshit about Cassius Clay and tell me it's brown sugar. And as for him being a humanitarian and great man, i don't think the people he stepped on and hid behind would agree. And maybe no vietcong ever called him ni****, but he didn't have a problem using it(along with Uncle Tom and other colorful slurs)to describe Frazier, Liston, and a host of others of the persuasion. Aaaaaaaand i'm off my soapbox. P.S. Marciano woulda knocked him on his ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, NOW i'm steppin' down
 itsme75
Msg: 182
Posted: 10/10/2006 12:33:33 PM
wayne (however the shit you spell his last name insert here). The dude owns a hockey team at one time a nfl team and is consintaly getting youth to play the sport.

Its Gretzky, and i dont think he ever was owner of an nfl team, i know he had a share in the Argos once with john candy and bruce mcnall but that is the cfl.
 journeyman05
Msg: 184
Posted: 10/11/2006 4:37:37 AM
Ok here is my thought. There is no one who can be reacalled in our memories more than this man, not to say most of us ever seen him in action but by pure media and word of mouth. THe buzz for this legend will run for eternity.
Babe Ruth!
Now on another note there is a man who came into the spotlight in the mid ninties. An man has taken the world by storm in a sport the demands great concentration, determination, control, stamina, mental toughness, and the ability to make shot after shot through adversity.
This man has accomplished the unthinkable, being able to put up numbers, winning championships consistantly year in and year out. Even changing how he has played the game and still comming out on top. Even the top competitors in the sport talk about how he just plays on a different level than the rest of the field.
I believe that this man could start his own league and the rest of the competion would have to fallow, why because he could single handedly draw sponsors, media, and the people to support it. Who else could accomplish this in their sport. He is only 1/3 into his career and as standards in the sport goes should be just hitting his prime years.
As long as this charismatic individual stays healthy he will crush the records set by the earlier ambassadors of the game, which at a time seemed out of reach.
What this young man did in the last two majors he won, was virtually uncomprehensable. He outplayed the entire field with his Iron play. Out of 8 rounds used his driver maybe 3 times...
In a sport where distance off the tee a huge factor he just simply took distance out of the equasion and suplimented it with pinpoint accuracy.
I know its early to say that he is a legend but for what he has accomplished and will accomplish in the near future he will be the man most will speak of for centuries to come.....

The sport is the greatest game ever played. GOLF
The professional that I speak of is Tiger Woods........................................
 glasgowguerilla
Msg: 185
Posted: 10/12/2006 11:49:53 AM
the number one sportin legend of all time was brazils pele......he is ow the sports mnister for brazil and as soccer is the thinking mans game and it takes skill this man was a legend ask any brazillian 9 out of ten coffee drinkewr cannot be be wrong plus they have the hottest women on the planet
 sprawl2
Msg: 187
Posted: 10/12/2006 8:46:36 PM
If you are talking simply the most skilled at their individual sports:

hockey: Mario Lemieux.....he was man among boys.

boxing: Roberto Duran....not many people know that he has more wins in title fights than even Sugar Ray Robinson.

wrestling (the real stuff): Alexandar Karelin...this Russian monster didn't give up a single point in 13 years and won gold at 3 separate olympics. Only a misinterpretation of a new rule kept him form winning his 4th.

MMA: tough call. Wanderlai Silva has an impressive record in Prides MW div and Matt Hughes is the most dominant UFC champ but I gotta go with Fedor Emelianenko. And he is the epitome of class and humility.

Auto racing: Dale Earnhardt. Most people who dont know racing will tell you that NASCAR drivers are "just a bunch of rednecks driving in circles". Last year when Jeff Gordon and JP Montoya traded cars for some laps, Gordon ended up missing out on qualifying for the F1 race by only a very tiny margin DESPITE NEVER having driven an F1 car. Montoya could barely keep Gordon's car on the track. And Earnhardt in his prime made Gordon look like a chump.

Strong men: Ed Coan. Most people probably don't know this man but he is the greatest powerlifter of all time. At 239 lbs of bodyweight Ed held the world powerlifting record for ALL weight divisions.....even the 308+ lb division. In fact at one time his combined weights were 15% better than the next best man regardless of weight. To put that in perspective a sprinter would have to run the 100 in 8.313 to equal Ed's accomplishments.

Now if you are talking greatest all around athlete I would have a totally different outlook:

To me the greatest athlete is someone who would excell at ANY sport he went into, not just the sport that he HAPPENED to be in. These guys are genetic freaks who are clearly on another level compared to mere mortals. Here are my choices:

Gordie Howe. He would have excelled in ANY sport he became involved in period.

Roy Jones: despite some losses at the end of his career, Roy like Gordie was simply a genetic freak of nature.

Fedor Emilianenko: This guy beats the worlds best strikers at striking, the best wrestlers at grappling and the best BJJ guys on the ground. And he looks like he trains by drinking vodka and doing......NOTHING. Yet he is genetically superior to pretty much any human in sports right now. Some people think he's a Russian built cyborg and not a human being.........
 belly18dancer
Msg: 190
Posted: 10/13/2006 3:26:20 PM
I agree about Pele if we're talking world class....and the fact the man has ''class'' is another good reason to choose him....Michael Jordan was once named the most recognized sports figure in the world as well...back in the 90's....

as far as Ali...He's seen as a legend now but he was a controversial figure in the late 60's...people who served in the war really resented him...my grandfather hated him...i could never understand it at the time...I do now...I think he's a great character though

I loved Roberto Duran...he was my favorite boxer way back when

As far as football goes...I'm a Raider fan...and fell in love with the team at the time of Jim Plunkett, when he came off the bench to lead them to become the first wild card team to win a Super Bowl game...

But I think one of the greatest players in football of recent times is Jerry Rice...such grace on the field and off...and he even leared how to ballroom dance
 itsme75
Msg: 195
Posted: 10/15/2006 11:47:51 AM
Ali was good yes but not the greatest, i would say Gretzky myself, he earned the nickname the Great One
 sprawl2
Msg: 197
Posted: 10/15/2006 5:10:25 PM
IMO Mario was far more skilled than Gretzky, he just had the misfortune of being on a bad team for so long, and having a lot more serious injuries than Gretzky. Even with all this against him he set a lot of records that topped Wayne (all time points per game leader). And I never saw Wayne break thru the defense while carrying two guys on his back and score.

Also Gretzky was protected better by both the league (remember Bill McReary?) and his bodyguards (Semenko, McSorley, McClelland) than Lemieux (Jay Caufield and Richard Zemlack were the two WORST fighters in the league yet someone in the Penguins organization hired these two speedbags to "protect" Mario). Oh that's right, it was Ed Johnston who traded MCSORLEY to Edmonton where he spent the next 8 years guarding Gretzky. What a dumbass.

The only way to fairly compare Lemiuex and Gretzky is to do so when they were on reasonably equal teams (Not when Grezt was surrounded by 10 other hall of famers and Pittsburg's best winger was an AHL goon named Warren Young......ya, exactly who is Warren Young? A minor league goon that Mario set up for 40 goals in his [Mario's] rookie year). When you do, you'll find that Mario was a FAR better player.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >