Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 belly18dancer
Msg: 190
who is the number 1 sporting legend?Page 3 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
I agree about Pele if we're talking world class....and the fact the man has ''class'' is another good reason to choose him....Michael Jordan was once named the most recognized sports figure in the world as well...back in the 90's....

as far as Ali...He's seen as a legend now but he was a controversial figure in the late 60's...people who served in the war really resented him...my grandfather hated him...i could never understand it at the time...I do now...I think he's a great character though

I loved Roberto Duran...he was my favorite boxer way back when

As far as football goes...I'm a Raider fan...and fell in love with the team at the time of Jim Plunkett, when he came off the bench to lead them to become the first wild card team to win a Super Bowl game...

But I think one of the greatest players in football of recent times is Jerry Rice...such grace on the field and off...and he even leared how to ballroom dance
 itsme75
Msg: 195
who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Posted: 10/15/2006 11:47:51 AM
Ali was good yes but not the greatest, i would say Gretzky myself, he earned the nickname the Great One
 sprawl2
Msg: 197
Posted: 10/15/2006 5:10:25 PM
IMO Mario was far more skilled than Gretzky, he just had the misfortune of being on a bad team for so long, and having a lot more serious injuries than Gretzky. Even with all this against him he set a lot of records that topped Wayne (all time points per game leader). And I never saw Wayne break thru the defense while carrying two guys on his back and score.

Also Gretzky was protected better by both the league (remember Bill McReary?) and his bodyguards (Semenko, McSorley, McClelland) than Lemieux (Jay Caufield and Richard Zemlack were the two WORST fighters in the league yet someone in the Penguins organization hired these two speedbags to "protect" Mario). Oh that's right, it was Ed Johnston who traded MCSORLEY to Edmonton where he spent the next 8 years guarding Gretzky. What a dumbass.

The only way to fairly compare Lemiuex and Gretzky is to do so when they were on reasonably equal teams (Not when Grezt was surrounded by 10 other hall of famers and Pittsburg's best winger was an AHL goon named Warren Young......ya, exactly who is Warren Young? A minor league goon that Mario set up for 40 goals in his [Mario's] rookie year). When you do, you'll find that Mario was a FAR better player.
 itsmeinco
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2006 9:42:24 PM
When it comes to football, there is only one John Elway.
 itsmeinco
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2006 9:48:21 PM
Also you've got to give credit to Jackie Robinson for sheer guts, class and sportsmanship. There were a lot of haters who wanted him to fail or blow his cool. It would have been easy for him to lose his cool or just give up, but he never did.

There have been better athletes, but his exemplary strength and inspiration broke down the doors of segregation in the sports world and forever changed the face of pro sports (except maybe for hockey and NASCAR).

junipermoon
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2007 7:46:14 AM
i stand by secretariat.

in the 33 years since his triple crown, no one has come close to his derby time.

and winning the belmont by 31 lengths...absolutely unheard of.

plus, he was handsome and charming, never broke any laws, stayed out of trouble, and ~ look at his progeny!
 dw7784
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/9/2007 7:13:16 PM
I would have to say with out a doubt Jim Thorpe
 my nick name
Msg: 215
Posted: 7/4/2007 1:00:10 AM
This thread shows some concerning traits.

So many named only played domesticly.

Anyway Ive been privilaged to be brought up by immergrants but I am loyal to there place of immergration and thus have followed or kept an eye on numrous sports.

Stastisticly Sir Donal Bradman owns statistics.

Pure instinctive skill is a toss up between Micheal jordan and Ayrton senna.

Arrogance , dawn fraser.

Impact on the Sport, Pele.

Impact on a disadvantage group, Mohammed Ali.

but the biggest legends ever are the seven Australian Rugby union players who refused to play the South African side when they toured in 1971, there sacrifice and they got it from all directions achieved so much for so many they they would never meet.

It took 20 years but this was the one incident you can define as the beggining of the end of apartied and similar problems around the world.
 Roughstock
Msg: 220
Posted: 7/5/2007 9:53:57 PM
LANE FROST!!!!!!!!!
He is my idol of course. I have been riding bulls since I was very young and have met a lot of the greats. I did get to meet Lane Frost when I was about 7 or so. He was riding here in Amarillo, and I got to shake his hand and he was very cool. He rode a bull that they said no man could possibly ride. He loved God. He was as much into meeting the new faces of the rodeo as he was in riding bulls. That is what I think made him so great.
 Wolfie65
Msg: 221
Posted: 7/6/2007 8:36:32 AM
If this is supposed to be a worldwide survey, it would probably have to be Pelé.
Americans tend to forget that the rest of the world neither knows nor cares much about American sports and heroes.
 looking63
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2007 6:24:10 AM
Pete Rose The Hit King
 Wolfie65
Msg: 228
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:29:03 PM
It's actually more like a 170-something way street if all countries of the world only look toward their own bellybutton for the answer......
You might get 'Gerd Müller' as an answer from Germany , 'Diego Maradona' from Argentina, 'Hans Krankl' from Austria, 'Ingemar Stenmark' or 'Björn Borg' from Sweden, 'Michel Platini' from France, to name just a few.

In any event, if the entire world is supposed to be included in this survey, the answer is pretty much guaranteed to be a soccer player.
 steveemac
Msg: 235
Posted: 7/9/2007 5:51:57 PM

I'd have to say that football player that quit playing to go serve in the war and was killed.

I know you probably mean Pat Tillman of the Cardinals; but there was another one that did the same thing:

AL BLOZIS: JERSEY CITY GIANT
By Victor Mastro, Frank Alkyer, and others
You can't help but notice in Jersey City. There's the Al Blozis Hospital, the Al Blozis Little League, Blozis Hall, a senior citizen's apartment house, and several other memorials. If you didn't know, you might think Blozis was a wealthy philanthropist. Instead, he was a rugged football player.
And a legitimate American hero.
Al died over forty years ago while serving his country. His grave in St. Avold Cemetary in France is marked by a plain white cross. The simple inscription reads "Alfred C. Blozis 2 lt 110 inf 28 div New Jersey Jan 31 1945." Similar crosses stand over the graves of thousands of Allied soldiers who died in WWII, and America recalls their sacrifice each Memorial Day. In Jersey City, they remember Al Blozis daily.
On January 31, six weeks after he'd played in the 1944 NFL championship game, Lt. Blozis sent out a detail of nine men in the deep snows of the Vozges Mountains sector of France. Seven returned shortly through the heavy snow. When the other two had not reported in several hours, Blozis set out to look for them. His men saw him fade into the snow storm. Then there was one short blast of German machine-gun fire; Lt. Blozis was dead...four months later the regiment was sent home.
New York Giant football coach Steve Owen had been a great tackle in his day. He prided himself on building impregnable lines. Big Al -- the gentle giant of huge size and calm temper -- was just what he needed.
The Giants made Blozis their third draft choice in 1942. The New Yorkers, eastern division champs in 1941, had been hit hard by military call-ups. The team started strong, sagged through the middle of the season, and had to win its final two games to finish at .500.
Blozis was an impressive rookie, pairing with veteran Frank Cope to keep New York strong at the tackle position. Had there been an all-rookie team selected, he no doubt would have been named to it.
In 1943, the Giants finished second in the division and Big Al was named to virtually every All-NFL team, including the Associated Press, United Press, New York News, and Pro Football Illustrated.
This was still before the two-platoon system, and players went both ways. Al was justly famous for his defensive prowess, but his offensive contributions brought him even more applause in '43. Rookie runner Bill Paschal bulled his way to a league-leading 572 yards and ten touchdowns, mostly running behind Blozis' earth-shaking blocks.
1944 was a big year for the Giants. World War II call-ups had stripped the NFL of many of its stars, but the Giants still had Blozis, Cope, guard Len Younce, and Hall of Famer Mel Hein in the line. Ken Strong gave them strong place-kicking, and Arnie Herber came out of retirement to give New York a passing attack. Veteran Ward Cuff and Paschal were fine runners. Bill again led the league, this time with 737 yards and nine touchdowns. New York went 8-1-1, posting five shutouts, with both the loss and the tie suffered at the hands of the emerging Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles finished second to New York when they played a second tie with Washington and lost late in the year to the Bears. Unfortunately, Paschal was limping on a badly injured ankle for the championship game with the Packers, considerably reducing the Giants' attack. Although New York had topped Green Bay 24-0 only four weeks earlier, that had been with Paschal at full-throttle. The title game developed into a defensive struggle. Green Bay took a 14-0 lead at the half, and a New York second-half rally -- sparked by Herber passes -- could garner only one touchdown.
Blozis entered the service right after the championship game. He didn't have to go. His size put him outside the limits of the draft, but he was determined to do his part. Six weeks later, he was killed.
The Giants retired Blozis' number 32, and he has been named to several all-1940's teams despite his short career of only three years. In 1986 he was elected to the National Football Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame. One of the most fitting tributes is that the****nson High School gymnasium -- where it all began with his huge figure silhouetted against the window -- has been renamed the Alfred C. Blozis Gym.

BLOZIS, Alfred C. (The Human Howitzer); Tackle
Born: January 5, 1919, in Garfield, NJ ; Died: January 31, 1945, near Colmar, France
Hgt: 6-6 Wgt: 250
College: Georgetown U. (1939, 1941)College Honors: College All-Star Game - 1942
Nat. FB Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame (1986)
High School:****nson H.S., Jersey City, NJ
Draft Choice: 3rd round, New York Giants - 1942
Pro Career: 3 years: 1942-44 New York Giants
1943 All-NFL (1st) A.P., U.P., N.Y. News, PF Illus.
 CrunKeith
Msg: 242
Posted: 7/11/2007 6:33:18 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and simply say...

Bill Belichick - had very little big names on one team and turned the patroits into a dynasty. Thats coaching as its finest!! In my books thats the greatest sporting achievement ever. With out a doubt the best NFL coach to ever coach the game.
 junipermoon
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2007 4:52:36 PM
^^^ so glad someone else mentioned big red.

his belmont not only set a record no one's touched before or since, but he ran each fraction faster than the previous. NO ONE does that. it's unheard of.

a post-mortem revealed that his heart was 1 1/3 as large as the largest horse's heart should be.
 junipermoon
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 8:20:14 PM
[qutoe]i was very serious too. his belmont was won by what 30 lengths? that is a real jaw dropper.[/qutoe]

31 lengths, actually.

he also set the ky derby record with 1:59 2/5. monarchos came the closest in 2001 with 1:59.97.

just to put it in perspective, everyone was blown away when smarty won the preakness by 12 lengths.
 AvidArteest
Msg: 259
Posted: 7/14/2007 9:13:41 PM
For NFL, it has to be:

Ryan Leaf
 nipoleon
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2007 5:50:49 AM
Greatest sports legend implies someone of legendary status without necessarily being the best at his sport.
Muhammad Ali was never really as good as his legendary status.
For being The Greatest, he lost a lot of fights.
Sure, he won it 3 times, but if he was as great as he's supposed to be, he should have only had to win it once !
Joe Namath: People still think he's the only quarterback who ever won a Super Bowl.
Namath's career stats were average at best.
Michael Jordan : I don't want to take away from his excellent ability and he was certainly one of the best ever. BUT, he never did anything Julius Erving didn't do 1st. and better.
 lakeman4
Msg: 264
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:59:20 PM
Dale Earnhardt has put himself in that category as a NASCAR driver..
There will never be another Michael Jordon on the basketball court.
Willie Stargell was awsome for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Remember Spread a little chicken on the hill with will? He gave away free chicken every time he hit a homer!
 lakeman4
Msg: 266
Posted: 7/15/2007 2:39:47 PM
I didn't know that about the rip-off!!! Damn thieves are everywhere!!
Pops was the best!!!
 lakeman4
Msg: 268
Posted: 7/15/2007 3:05:05 PM
I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and I always thought Pops and Roberto Clemente was tops in the sport!!
Wind-up that bat and spread a little chicken on the hill!!!
 lakeman4
Msg: 270
Posted: 7/15/2007 3:42:33 PM
According to our moderator...Babe Ruth could not possibly be an athelete. Anyone 50 lbs. over weight is not an athelete in her eyes!!
 lakeman4
Msg: 273
Posted: 7/15/2007 3:55:02 PM
Refrigerator Perry with the Chicago Bears was 200 lbs. or more over weight so our moderator would not consider him or Babe Ruth an athlete! It's funny how the Sports Hall of Fame Disagrees completely!!
 lakeman4
Msg: 274
Posted: 7/15/2007 3:58:09 PM
Is SUMO Wrestling a sport!!! I think it most certainly is!!How much weight do they carry?? They put on as much weight as possible to be competitive!! A Pansie Bear would not stand a chance!!
 lakeman4
Msg: 283
Posted: 7/21/2007 7:40:55 PM
Dale Earnhardt is already considered a Sports Legend an there are more to follow in the years to come from the Nascar ranks. The Sport of Nascar will soon be world wide if France has his way. He is already trying to get into the Chinese market as well as Mexico and Cannuckada. The recognition continues!!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >