Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ddc758
Msg: 331
who is the number 1 sporting legend?Page 4 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
I'm going to liven this thread up a little bit. The all around legend that I haven't see listed here is??????????? ME I've won spelling bees, hit home runs, scored winning baskets, made hole in one, scored touchdowns, expert marksman, won every car race with the cops I been in won numerous drinking contests won most of the fights with my ex eating contests See I'm outstanding in my field and legend in my own mind
 Lethal_Industry
Msg: 342
who is the number 1 sporting legend?
Posted: 8/23/2007 3:09:29 PM
There is only 1 major sport in this planet. This sport is called football. Narrow minded North Americans call it soccer.
The greatest football player has to be the number one sporting legend of all the time.
as i mentioned above that is the brazilian dude called Pele
 Lethal_Industry
Msg: 345
Posted: 8/23/2007 8:18:15 PM
I was brought up in Canada in an european household. I grew up playing hockey, soccer, football all kinds of sports. Im a die hert maple leafs fan, but i still beleive that soccer is the greatest sport in the world.
 LilFoxFire
Msg: 351
Posted: 8/24/2007 7:49:17 AM

Or Kobe can do what Michael did and make the others around him better. Also, Lebron didn't have a team AT ALL and look what he did......nevermind, i forgot their in the east.

Or put another Scottie Pippen with Kobe and he'll make Kobe what Scottie Pippen made Mr Jordan.

Take Magic away from the lakers you still have the Legend....Mr Skyhook himself....

What about Pistol Pete, isn't he a legend, though he had hardly anyone helping him?

What about Steve Nash? can he,will he become a legend?
 PolynesianPower
Msg: 354
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:28:46 PM
Michael Jordan Muhammed Ali i think Tiger will be up on the list shortly too.
 LilFoxFire
Msg: 367
Posted: 9/2/2007 8:04:44 PM
Here ya go Pedro:

Finch was the subject of the notorious article and April Fools' Day hoax The Curious Case of Sidd Finch written by George Plimpton and first published in the April 1, 1985 issue of Sports Illustrated.

Plimpton reported that Hayden "Sidd" (short for Siddhartha) Finch was a rookie baseball pitcher in training with the New York Mets. Finch, who had never played baseball before, was attempting to decide between a sports career and one playing the French horn. What was astonishing about Finch was that he could pitch a fastball at an amazing 168 mph, far above the record of a "mere" 103 mph. He also wore only one shoe—a heavy hiker's boot—when pitching.

Finch grew up in an English orphanage and was adopted by an archaeologist who later died in a plane crash in Nepal. After briefly attending Harvard University, he went to Tibet to learn "yogic mastery of mind-body," which was the source of his pitching prowess.

The subhead of the article read: "He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga —and his future in baseball." The first letters of these words spell out "Happy April Fools Day." Despite this clue and the obvious absurdity of the article, many people believed Finch actually existed. The magazine printed a much smaller article in the following April 8 issue announcing Finch's retirement. It then announced it was a hoax on April 15.

The story was accompanied by photographs of Finch, including one featuring a young Lenny Dykstra and another of Finch talking with the Mets' actual pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre. The Mets played along with the hoax, even providing a uniform for Joe Berton, a junior high school art teacher from Oak Park, Illinois, who posed as "Finch" for the photographs (usually with his face averted from the lens).

Plimpton eventually broadened his article into a novel, first published in 1987.
 eykwingnut11
Msg: 368
Posted: 9/17/2007 11:01:17 AM
MJ, and i HATE basketball...
 vladtepes97
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2007 7:07:26 PM

DONT KNOW IF YA CAN CALL HIM SPORTING LEGEND OR NOT BUT TERRY FOX IS MY HERO

he is my all-time canadian hero. i cry every time i see something about him.

i think, overall, it has to go to pele, no doubt.

cricket- sir don, sir garry, brian lara, sachin, marshall, holding, lillee

football - pele, zidane, diego, ronaldinho, herr kaiser

gridiron - conacher, george reed, mike pringle, damon allen, calvillo, flutie, earl the pearl, passaglia, gizmo!!

track and field - thorpe, bubka, edwin moses, (hard category because they change leads so quickly. no one can dominate for years the way they can in other sports), grete weitz, kip cheryiot

ice hockey - gretz, orr, tretiak, larionov, bossy, la fleur, coffey, messier

nba - jordan, chamberlain, jabbar, erving, johnson

boxing - ali, tyson, leonard, robinson, duran, de la hoya

auto - senna, schumacher, stewart, lauda, prost, andretti
 amore_vita
Msg: 372
Posted: 10/1/2007 9:04:04 AM

George Herman "BABE" Ruth, Jr. ---- THE FIRST !

Muhammad Ali - aka - Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.
&
Edson Arantes do Nascimento, - aka- Pelé,
then
Edouard " EDDY " Louis Joseph Merckx

With each they are the only and final word in their respective sport-

All have huge & instant worldwide recognition.......

All but Babe Ruth were born during the same era early 1940's
and were huge in World Sports During the 60's & 70's
a time of turmoil in the world...

Many other contributions from other sports do not reach a worldwide
audience as these Four did ...

Most of the World does not care about American Football , Nascar or Hockey.
On the other hand Basketball & Formula One are on the rise for sure,,

I must give a very Honorable mention to Michael Jeffrey "MJ" Jordan who in very short time will be on the shorter list above as is the case in the future for Eldrick "Tiger" Woods who by himself will have GOLF known and played the world over..........
 Longrock1WW
Msg: 373
Posted: 10/12/2007 7:23:58 PM
Ali, in his time was rooted against, let's not forget. He hung on way too long and haad a very undistinguished career if you want to be honest. His popularity has grown more based on his legend than his ability. I'd have to say Babe Ruth. He saved his sport and did things in his sport nobody had ever come close to.
 AvidArteest
Msg: 374
Posted: 10/13/2007 10:15:44 AM
Did anyone say Ryan Leaf yet????

How about Akili Smith?

UHMMM... or, Tim Couch?
 junipermoon
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2007 10:46:03 AM
i think that legendary status can change, contingent on events and perspective.

therefore, i nominate john henry, based on the events of the past week.
 slysterling
Msg: 377
Posted: 10/13/2007 11:07:01 AM
todd marinovich...ryan leaf??
Come on..,
How can you guys overlook Art Schlicter?
 Longrock1WW
Msg: 379
Posted: 10/13/2007 8:24:52 PM
To bad the He-She's did him in.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 386
Posted: 4/25/2008 8:11:20 AM
There is no way I could narrow this down to one athlete!!

~Baseball: Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan
~Boxing: George Chuvalo, Ali
~Hockey: Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard...
~Track: Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe
~Basketball: Larry Bird
~Football: Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Tom Brady
~Golf: Tiger Woods
 shammgod
Msg: 397
Posted: 5/16/2008 6:12:56 PM

Oscar Robertson ... He maintained a triple double average for his entire career.

That was a season. His career rebounds/game and assists/game are 7.5 and 9.5, respectively.
 arsnl1886
Msg: 403
Posted: 5/19/2008 12:19:57 PM
I do'nt think thier is one that stands out head ;and shoulders above the rest.I think they have to be divided by sport.Here are mine.Basketball:Jordan,Football:Montana,Baseball:Ruth,Hockey:Gretzky,Golf:Tiger,Soccer:Pele.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 404
Posted: 5/19/2008 12:52:44 PM

I think they have to be divided by sport.
WHY? the question is pretty simple and infers the most internationally famous,widely admired,storied athelete. Of course YOU can add whatever you wish however the question of this thread does not need to be devided by sport.
Ali....hands down. Narly 30 years after his career has been over(40yrs past prime), after the sport has lost tons of popularity and he is STILL the most reverered sports figure worldwide.
Pele is very popular and might be 2nd. Jordan is 2nd or 3rd as basketball has popularity on all continents and Jordan like Ali transcends his sport. His logo may be the most recognizable in the world. Tiger is now closing fast on both Jordan and Pele dispite the fact that golf is not as popular worldwide as Soccer and basketball.

Ruth isn't even known outside of north America.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 406
Posted: 5/19/2008 6:13:40 PM
Athletes on every continent in a wide range of sports as well as non athelets know Ali dispite being retired for 3 decades and 4 decades past his prime. Most Americans have never heard of Maradona, let alone most Indians, Philipinos, Saudis, Egyptians, Austrailians, Fijans ect. Maradona dispite being 1 of the top 5 footballers of all time is best known in South American/latin America and more intensely in his home of Argentina than elsewhere. Pele is the best known and most storied Footballer. Even he falls short of the fame of Ali globally.
 arsnl1886
Msg: 408
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:07:30 PM
marathonman11 7 It does'nt have to be divided by sport;but I chose to do it anyways.
 Freeze26
Msg: 411
Posted: 12/4/2008 12:14:29 PM
The best athlete I have ever seen is Jordan.
 EdVonBlue
Msg: 412
Posted: 12/4/2008 5:17:42 PM
Jordan did more to damage the NBA than any other player of all-time. Everythign bad about the NBA basically stems from the idol-worship culture that Jordan excelerated.
 paul5988
Msg: 413
Posted: 12/4/2008 5:32:33 PM
Didn't pele stop a war for like a day? I don't think anyone else could do that
 smiliegirl15
Msg: 414
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:20:49 PM
Bobby Orr!
Maurice Richard
Wayne Gretzky

there are no other sports...
 An Optimist...
Msg: 417
Posted: 12/7/2008 5:33:19 AM
#99 Enough Said.......

No Body in any SPORT will have statistics so far a head of anyone else in the same league and the Great One had...No One....Ever!

No one in any sport will at one time hold 61 records in his/hers sport...

so once again #99, The Great One, Mr. Wayne Gretzky
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >