Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is this true:basically men want a sexy woman/women want a successful      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 76
Is this true:basically men want a sexy woman/women want a successful man?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
not true all the time. men with no jobs are also looking for sugar mama
 MarkKCurry
Msg: 77
Is this true:basically men want a sexy woman/women want a successful man?
Posted: 4/7/2013 7:35:06 PM
men don't not have jobs..
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/7/2013 9:01:37 PM
Yeah, but it's not a silver-bullet answer. Women want looks in men more than they think (studies have shown that), and men want success in women more than they think, too. The more you get out in the "country", the more it's guys-just-want-looks, women-just-want-money. The more you get in the modern world, the less deep that runs.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/10/2013 2:27:39 AM
Most women want a successful man, so that when things don't work out & he eventually gets tired of them, they can then try getting all they can from the man as a sort of revenge tactic, as MANY women are vindictive. Most women won't date broke men, why? They can't get something from a broke person. These are the same women who shout from rooftops how they "Don't need a man to pay their bills" & how they're "independent". Yet, when check time comes, guess who's "suddenly" not so "independent"? Guess who "suddenly" DOES need a man to pay her bills, and demands it? Oh boy, I'm sure the "bitter", "angry" responses from feeminists will respond as expected. Usually happens when you post truthful info.
 barnabyjames1
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/10/2013 2:34:15 AM
No Mark, they "overlook him" because they realize a not-so-successful man is someone they can't get something from, should the relationship go south. Most women look at a man as a meal ticket, they ALL say "not me, I'm the exception"......sure honey, let's she how long you stay with him when you finally realize you can't get something from him. The second that guy doesn't reach for his walllet for EVERYTHING, see how fast he's dumped & she's telling anyone within an earshot, how she shouldn't have to pay and her friends will trash him to no end. Most women will not date broke men, they're full a what if they say they will. Their stupid fvn friends will make sure they don't date him long, if at all.
 juliettes7
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/10/2013 2:53:42 AM
What people want in a mate for long term depends on if kids are involved. If they are, maybe men look for good breeding stock, motherly traits and women seek stable finances and good father traits.
However if kids aren't involved, it's really about companionship, trust, support of an emotional kind, sometimes pooled resources but not always. The latter doesn't always involve marriage.
Sure, even in the latter example the holdover desired traits still exist, but there is more flexibility the older one gets about demands one looks "good on paper"-all the boxes are ticked.
Hopefully character, intelligence and reliability matters more, because experience tells us that those traits are always attractive in a SO.
 victorianist
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/10/2013 7:04:50 AM
This discussion brings to memory a line from a movie where the female character says, "I was brought up to believe I should marry the best possible good provider I can tolerate having sex with".

Perhaps that isn't a universal truism, but many men, including myself, seriously believe it's an accurate and reasonable generalization.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/10/2013 7:18:26 AM

(dmzvisitor) And I'm always astonished that anyone would believe that men sought out the "most attractive" females. Humans would not have survived if males of the species had been selective.

The bolded sentence makes absolutely no sense, and is completely wrong.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/28/2013 9:13:56 AM
In 21st century speak, men are like bluetooth, we'll pair with the closest.

Women are like wi-fi, they'll seek the strongest signal.
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/28/2013 3:32:37 PM
Yes.

Message is too short. Added this line in order to post.
 forums48380
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/30/2013 8:24:13 AM
Yes. According to my shrink, this goes back to the cave man days when the woman was looking for the best provider (a rich guy in modern terms) and the man was looking for a fertile woman (young attractive hottie) to provide the best offspring.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/30/2013 9:57:06 AM

Yes. According to my shrink, this goes back to the cave man days when the woman was looking for the best provider (a rich guy in modern terms) and the man was looking for a fertile woman (young attractive hottie) to provide the best offspring.

Nice to see we have evolved so much in 200,000 years.
 forums48380
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/30/2013 10:26:27 AM
yup, there's also plenty of reptile still in us too.
 tatersprout
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/30/2013 10:39:06 AM
I like someone sexy and successful.
Both are very subjective and measuring them is individual.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/1/2014 5:39:06 AM
There is a beautiful equation for it

Love = {Time (duration / frequency) x proximity / Money } * fn log of competitive advantage < 10 years

So the more time you spend with a girl in duration and frequency coupled with your location closeness as a factor of the money you have quotient as a function of how attractive (fit/bad boy/emo/bass player) you are and in comparison to the other men she has available to her vs how hot she thinks she is - usually also as a derivative function of how many men nibble at the lure she puts out ..... not more than 10 years.

Your results may vary - but I have never seen it personally, nor have any of my friends.

want out of a relationship ?....... pull back on the time, the money, the location, and don't care where she hangs out or who she is with ..... you will be free in less than six months.... and she will think it was (her) idea.
Enjoy the show
 gp6679
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/1/2014 8:37:28 PM
This is interesting. So what happens when men rebel and want a woman of means and a sexy body? What if the man has the sexy body and needs woman to support him emotionally to become a man of means? It get so convoluted with the reality of life I have to say the tendency is men prefer women for their looks and women prefer men of means as their first check in the dating box. Now what happens when you get older and women loose their looks and men get richer? Does that make the man more desirable and the women less so ? Just too dam shallow even for a man like me :)
 cesska
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 8:56:59 PM
I don't use the word successful to pick out a mate
I can't be bought
I have to like the person
I got my own pocketbook

a man should be pleasant
no temper
you can be successful in life without being rich
if you marry for money you will earn it
 Dobermonster
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/1/2014 10:22:33 PM
But . . . but can't I have both? :(
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/1/2014 10:54:42 PM
Of course, men want a sexy woman, why wouldn't they? How each man defines a sexy woman will vary. I want to be sexy for a man I am in a relationship with. I want a confident man. A confident man is successful in his own right.
A confident man is also sexy, what woman wouldn't want that in her man? There are so many other factors in choosing a partner, but, I'm limiting myself to the thread topic :)
 SunForSome2
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/2/2014 10:44:38 AM
No. Having a successful man of status really isn't the main thing I am looking for. Too often a successful man is egotistical and has a bad attitude. That sort of pollutes the water. I think the same can be said about a woman who is too beautiful and not grounded.

Skills #1: I want someone who is nice, generous, and treats me well and has good relationship skills. They are flexible and have a good attitude. They are someone I can trust. They are honest and loyal. They make time for me and enjoy doing things with me... BUT they don't smother me or require all of my time. Basically someone with good character, is stable and can do a long term relationship.

Skills #2: On the other side: I also want someone who is equally sexy as I am, confident, and a degree of intelligence, nice appearance and success. Someone who likes a little bit of fun and adventure.... BUT they aren't too full of themselves that they are obnoxious to deal with or dominating and demanding. Basically someone who can keep a relationship interesting.

I consider myself to have both sets of skills... So, ideally I would like to be with someone who is similar to me.
 gtomustang
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/2/2014 11:26:18 AM
well, we haven't evolved in centuries b/c we don't need to--our purpose isn't to build skyscrapers, its to procreate. we're no different than the plants in that way.

in a patriarchial society, where boys are taught nearly any manly thing they do is OK...why do they need a successful "helpmeet" to sponge off? In a society where women are taught that their social status (do you have this moment's fashionable pocketbook? are you a working woman AND an awesome mom? do you keep your mouth shut to avoid offending others?), can a successful man be another sign they are sexy enough to catch such a guy?

(would anyone put Barbie with Ken's brother, Mr. Average? maybe that's why Shrek was created, to show the opposite of the fairy tale, could result in a fairy tale)

there are exceptions to the rule. they're easy to spot--they're the people who think for themself. some men and women think an opportunistic person is sexy. some successful men want a successful female to be their equal partner in life.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/2/2014 1:08:54 PM
Sunforsome2, I very much agree. I think, in general, water seeks its own level in terms of money and attraction. There's always exceptions to this too (i.e. Hugh Hefner). Beautiful ladies vs Ambitious men. Hard to start a friendship when all she thinks I see is her beauty and all I think she sees is my wallet.
 OddTerraceDude
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/2/2014 2:36:48 PM
Ya like a lot of people have said this isn't necessarily true, I want an attractive female but basic life success are actually more important to me than super hot looks.
Basically all the non desperate females on POF seem to value looks as much or more than success from my observations.
It is true it's the females that are holding out more than the males, can't count the times a woman has unsuccessfully been pursuing me while ignoring a good match that was chasing them.
Very interesting the evolutionary process going on right now.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is this true:basically men want a sexy woman/women want a successful man?