Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chuzz16
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is it me or are there double standards here?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
You can only really aim that at her. Did you ask her?

We aren't all the same you know.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Is it me or are there double standards here?
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:24:37 AM

If you have i won't reply to one word messages why the hell would you send a one word message it beggers belief! I will not reply to a one word message myself.

Not even if she has a nice pair of jugs?
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 9:23:02 AM
I`m so bereft of mail, i`d be chuffed with "oi mutt face" hahahaha :O)
 Jo van
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/4/2013 9:36:46 AM

I have just read a profile of a lady that said do not message her with just one word i.e Hi. But to my surprise i get a message of said lady in question with guess what ???????????????????? Hi.

I'm making assumptions here, admittedly, but presumably, the reason you had opened her profile, and bothered to read it, was because you had been attracted by the picture..?
Seems to me, she's given you an 'in', and instead of (gratefully) accepting her invitation, you are choosing instead, to sulk about the fact that she had the temerity to specify, that she'd only respond to longer messages.

Way to go.
Still, at least you'll have your pride.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 9:48:58 AM
I would have written back asking her if she thought she could live on £53 per week just to get the conversation going.
 Jo van
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/4/2013 10:39:31 AM

You are also making another massive assumption that i am sulking which is far from it.I just find it hypocritical that certain people not just females put this on their profile and then send the exact thing that they won't reply too.

Well, anyone can put anything on their profiles.

I had a message from a (gorgeous) lady once, back in the day, when I still had pic's, and was still looking.
HER profile stated that she "wasn't interested in anyone over the age of 48", and I tried to talk her out of it, saying I was far too old for her, but she insisted.
So we met.

But I wasn't at all "offended" by her stated exclusion, that's the point I was making.
People tend to "bend" their own rules, all the time, that's one of the beauties of having your own rules.

Fair enough, you're not attracted, I was just speculating, as I said.
In that case, then I think it would be only polite, to let her know you're not interested.
Perhaps you could tell her to add an edit, saying "Though I might well do that myself, if I like the look of you"..?

I don't think it's hypocritical to say no single word messages will be replied to, but then send out a "Hi" yourself.
There are different "rules", for men and women, but that's not hypocrisy (IMO), or "double standards"..
Things are different, for men, and women.
EG Although both men and women shag together, at the same time, only one gets pregnant.

More often than not, it's the women who complain about the single word mails, because THEY get more of them, than the men.
She could be getting 30 "Hi's", every day, for all we know.
But you could always put it on your own profile, to even things up a bit.>?
 AthenaMarina
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 11:14:53 AM
Reply with

NO!

Ha ha

Or

More!
 Peppigonzalis
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/5/2013 5:58:37 AM
Yes, there are definitely double standards here.
Women want to be pursued & have the luxury of culling in such a manner.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2013 10:12:33 AM
^^^^^..."Not all of us were born that gifted"

Speak for yourself son !, i cant walk past a field without all the sheep running up to the fence whistling n shouting !..baaaah get em off big boy ! bleat bleat :O)

its a burden honestly :O)
 Ffester
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2013 3:07:21 PM
And my single word of choice would be...

...sesquipedalian
 ibakecakes
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 5:16:35 AM
Unfortunately OP, while I agree with you that it is blatant double standards, there are a few bad apples in the barrel that have made a massive brush to tar all others with! In my time on here, I have had countless messages saying 'Nice t*ts', 'I'd like to be that lolly', but have also had a large proportion of really well written and very funny messages. The thing that makes me laugh most is that if the message isn't to a person's taste, they don't have to take it personally, just accept that THAT person isn't for you and move on! I think the basics are that SOME men send short, cut and paste messages, some women think that 'no reply is a reply' but if this site provides that certain someone who makes you smile for no reason, then it can't be all bad eh?
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 1:09:11 PM
I had a mail only last night which simply said "hello"...soooo i replied, "hello there, how are you ? " and she logged off and has`nt been online since hahahahaha :O)

vvvvv..."thought they'd turned you for a moment ducky!!!!"

hahaha no danger there with pics like that vvvvv on here mysty !! :O)
 icarusi
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 3:19:07 PM
It's a 'do as I say, not as I do'. Parents use it all the time.
 daver987654
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:29:37 AM
Happie, I just tried it and you are spot on. First one up had a headline of "can any one smell old trout". A sense of humour at least.
 IonaM
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 1:12:34 AM
OP

Reply with a lengthy message but don't put any spaces between the words...
 daver987654
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 1:33:49 AM
Happy, just a bunch of munters.

Iona - thanks for the first laugh of the day.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 1:49:46 AM
Munters? Ouch that's cruel.... I must be lucky then because out of the forty suggestions on my match list, only four have left me thinking whaaa? On my chemistry list, I've mailed the top three on previous occasions anyway. Didn't get anywhere but hey, that's the game...

Dave - I googled that headline out of curiosity and it brought up an amusing POF forum thread from 2009. Shouldn't have done I know, but it made me smile. Almost as much as the "worst kissing experience" thread always does.
 daver987654
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 2:12:57 AM
Tigger - you're probably right. What I don't get is that 95% of all the women who want to meet me, favourite me or message me are up to 30 years older than me, live in Wales and are seriously overweight. I mean, overweight enough for me not to get my arms around their upper arm if I met them. OK, not all, but enough.

What does that say about me? No answers thanks as a punch in the mouth often offends.
 keirong
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2013 12:09:44 AM
I like your way of thinking, I might just start saying hi instead of putting the effort in to try and get a response, the effort gets tedious when a response is rarely forthcoming
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2013 1:24:05 AM
Op, you have received must be the Holy Grail of many people on here, acknowledgement from someone they just might end up kissing. A message, any message, is an open invitation for you to proceed to the next stage of the woo-ing process sent by someone with the same thoughts of romance and love on their minds as you have. Getting that response is something a great many men on here would give their eye teeth for. The fact that the message says only "Hi" matters not a single jot regardless of what a profile may or may not say.

A profile is nothing more than a CV submitted for a job as a boyfriend or girlfriend and just as few new employees in any business will ever live up to the letter of their CV's after they start work, so it is with people on here. If you wish to find yourself waking up next to someone you don't know yet, the best chance you have to do that is to answer each and every message, regardless of content, and treat it like the girl of your dreams has found you at last. My advice is to count your blessings for each and every message received and shout halleluja to the skies as I always do............HTH.............GP
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >