Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 22
Would you date your mates ex girlfriend.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Your friend is married -- that basically allows it to be rightfully considered. If he IS over her, he wouldn't mind if you hooked up with the girl on St Patrick's Day. It may be "weird" though to be in a Relationship with her, if you and your friend mesh lives at all -- because his ex would then be "in the window" of his life in some way, depending on how serious a relationship you'd end up having with her. It would be like his ex moving on his street, living a few houses down. One can be 100% cool with that, or a bit weirded by it.

Since your friend has fully moved on (and is married):
(a) How long ago was his relationship with her? If it's less than 3 years then it could have that weirdness.
(b) How serious was his relationship with her?
(c) Who dumped who? Who's heart was left broken, basically? If hers & not his, then it may not be a problem
(d) Is there any ill will about her as a person?

If it's been a long while since their relationship, and it wasn't a super-long/super-serious relationship, and he didn't leave too heart-broken, and thinks of her as a cool person -- then he may be OKAY with you dating her.

ASK HIM. :)

Now, if you're just looking for a roll in the hay, and she's an ex that he has no ill will about & he's married now, then go for it and don't tell him. It's not his business and you didn't do anything bad to him, since he doesn't see anything bad about her... you don't Need to tell your friends every girl you made out with. It will only affect him if you're going to start Dating her. If you get to the point where you may -- then Ask him. And of course, if he hates her and you & he are close friends, then don't even hook up with her.
 RandomFish123
Msg: 24
Would you date your mates ex girlfriend.
Posted: 4/7/2013 2:32:55 PM
What happened to bros before ho's??
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/8/2013 3:26:17 PM

(Randomfish123) What happened to bros before ho's??

It's a myth. Any guy who would ask if it's okay to chase after a buddy's ex, is gonna do it anyway. The only ones who won't, are the ones who have done it 0nce, and seen the spectacularly messy fall-out for themselves.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 27
Would you date your mate's ex-girlfriend.
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:06:36 AM
Safest call to make... thanks for the update, biggles!
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:23:45 AM
I would if my friend didn't mind, OR if I'm possibly willing to lose a friend - but the woman would really have to be worth that risk.
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:41:31 AM
It looks like whenever a couple breaks up, nobody ever fully recovers from it and carry that baggage for life, even though everybody says that they have moved on in life. Why else would anybody care who dates their ex if they fully recovered and moved on in life? Especially if it's been a really long time ago. I can see it being awkward in social situations where the ex's might run into each other, but otherwise, theoretically, it shouldn't matter. Maybe people get upset by it because they don't want to think that their ex found someone who the ex considers better.

What should a person do in the case where a friend dates someone for 2 or 3 weeks or a month, and 4, 5 or 10 years later I meet her and find out she briefly dated a friend so many years ago? Should I still ask for permission from the friend to date her? I guess this is a warning to people, that once you date someone, the date is never over. It will go on for eternity, no matter how it turns out.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >