Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rearguard*2
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
The good thing about facebook is I have found and been found by all kinds of people I have not heard from for 40 odd years.

The bad thing about facebook is that people who I have not heard from in 40 odd years have found me.....

Is POF for finding dates?????
 Whisky_River
Msg: 52
Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?
Posted: 4/8/2013 7:46:40 AM
Mae

My cousin and her sister have started a group for family members only

Yes...we have a family reunion coming up...so, only family members see the posts...
I look it as another great tool for networking....it is what it is.
Kind of laughable how people are so leery of "Facebook"....yet have their faces plastered all over this site...lol.
If I google any of your images....it shows on the world wide web...your on POF.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:17:08 AM
I agree deere rancher....and the other part of not being a fan of Facebook is that people are deluding themselves if they think they have 20, 200, or 2,000 "friends."
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:30:26 PM
I don't hate facebook but find it boring. I don't care what everyone does every min of there life. People post way too much information on there. If I need to talk to a friend I pick up the phone and call them. After using FB for a while I got bored with it. When friends or family want to share a pic they email me one. Why post it for the world to see????
All those sites are nothing more then information black hole. You are just another number and statistic to sell merchendise to. Make you a better consumer, Make you want more and spend more.
Think of George Orwell 1984 but in a way even he couldn't emagine.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/8/2013 1:48:09 PM
^^^
I agree with the above.

I do enjoy seeing pics of my kids and grandkids.
Do love that part of FB.
But not so much the jpeg or cause of the day.
I post vacation pics of my doings.
but nothing else.

I also do not have twitter.
And may proudly go to my grave as having never tweeted.
I mean geez, I'm not a "follower"
and if I had followers then I'd figure those people
badly needed to get a life.

I think when the techno newness wears off
people will go back to doing normal things again.
in real life.

Till then....I am an ahead of the curve rebel!
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:18:44 PM
A number of people said they like Facebook because they have pictures of family on there. This can open up a can of worms. I assume a lot of people communicate to each other through Facebook. How would you feel if you went into the Facebook page of someone you're dating and he/she keeps pictures of an ex bf/gf/spouse? Or in the case of widowed people, their deceased spouse? Would that creep you out? If they said they have pictures of ex's on FB because that was part of their life (and maybe the other parent of their kids), would you accept the reasoning?
 hounddoug
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:19:33 PM

But I dislike facebook , because of the info that they collect and sell, on you , your family and friends

Those who value privacy eschew Facebook.

It doesn't matter where you go online, everyone, everywhere--PoF included--is collecting data about you and your "surfing" habits. To think they are doing otherwise is very naive of you. There is no real privacy online, that is an illusion. If you don't want people to know certain things about you, don't post it online ever.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:34 PM
"Newness...Trendiness" ???

Facebook is 9 years old.. lol Not as 'new' as it might seem. (Twitter is a little over 7yrs I think..)

Just sayin'
 Giggles10000
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/8/2013 3:58:24 PM

Many businesses are using Facebook to check out potential and existing employees. Many law firms are now using what someone posts on Facebook in child custody/access situations. Insurance companys for disabilty claims. Or welfare fraud. And on and on.

So be careful what you post. Or stay off of it altogether.

If you live your life in the right way then none of it matters, nothing you should do or post should effect your child custody and if it does then there is reason for them to limit your custody, same for disability and welfare fraud.

For the person who thinks we will go back to *normal--that is like still typing on a typewriter vs using Microsoft word--could happen but NOPE! The technological advancements are here to stay, you can either join or get left behind. No one is going to force you to do either--it is your choice of what you want out of life.

Funny story there was a photographer who wanted to be part of the Gallery, he was 63 and told me how life had been unfair, how his best friend moved to California and made it big and his company went bankrupt and so he didnt want anyone to know he was back in Knoxville living with his mom. I explained that it wasn't fair to the other artists that had a Facebook page and promoted the Gallery for him not to do his part, I didn't care what name he used, one uses an alias for his artwork due to his exwife stalking him. The man joined Facebook and then wrote to me and said it was the best thing he had done in ten years, he was showing his photos and getting feedback and people requesting him to shoot events.

If you try it and don't like it that is one thing, but to just not like it and never tried it is another.

When my power went out having a smart phone and facebook on it, I was able to get updates from the Power company --I have them and the news as friends.

Your only real limits are those you put on yourself
 Proteaus
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:08:11 PM
Because bogi if you actually read what I posted you would see my little sister wanted me to do it . You got to be about one of the dumbest trolls I have ever seen on a forum . Looking below , see what I mean .
 tallbrowneyedlady
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:44:12 PM
Older people tend to be suspicious of new technology.What I hate is the "I don't know how to text line"
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/8/2013 4:51:00 PM
NOT too worried about privacy on the nets yet: google can't even get my home state right, neither can facebook. I'm not an exhibitionist and I grew up with a party line. I'm good to go, lol!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/8/2013 5:24:20 PM

Lost my dogs--people shared a picture and a day later I had them back--they had traveled over 2 miles so the flyers I put up they would have never been found. Someone had taken them in so they weren't at the pound--Im 1005 confident without Facebook I never would have found them.

Found a dog and he was really old and need his medication, I posted his picture and ask my friends to share and two hours later he was home!

Dammit, now I have to re-think Facebook and maybe start up with it again.

I have a gorgeous, wonderful cat that gets very neurotic if he can't go outside, and we're about to move into a new house. He throws collars like Houdini slipped out of tied scarves. He's chipped but the address needs updating. I'm terrified he'll get lost before that change takes effect, or that nobody'll check for a chip.

I really did not enjoy Facebook. For me, it was a time-sucker that also wasn't fun. What good is that?

But if it can help reunite critters with their people... well, I never thought of that!
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:22:35 PM
Hate no. Indifferent to yes. Hate it how women of a certain age allow their lives to revolve around it though. It's a turn off to meet women my age that make more an effort to have virtual friends than real ones.
 m8t
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/8/2013 10:30:04 PM
I have family all over the world, so the different time zones make it very difficult for us all to communicate.
Never mind being from a very large European family with over 85 people gathered on any holiday.
Facebook is that affordable link, keeping us together, when there isnt any other form of connecting.
Im not on there much, but its always a treat to see photos of close friends, and family members.
Some of us move around too often, so it feels good to remain in touch on a weekly basis.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:15:03 AM
I have an account, but rarely even look at it, and provide almost no information about myself.

Basically, I like my privacy. I am already in contact with everyone I want to hear from, so do not want old "friends" and classmates harassing me. It seems that when they do find me, they want money for some cause, or a reunion, or group/club in which I've long ago lost interest. Then there are the occasional stalker-type women, and those who post inappropriate comments that may be taken amiss by current relationships. I also don't want current or potential employers using online information to my detriment, nor do I want advertisers and scammers annoying me.

Besides, I'd rather waste my time in anonymous forums like this!
 malebadger52
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/9/2013 1:37:31 PM
i'm on my facebook page 5 time a day my sons are there will you be my friend?
 deere_rancher
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 2:48:42 PM
If I google any of your images....it shows on the world wide web...your on POF

I think this is good reminder to people.
Don't use the same images from dating sites ...on facebook or anywhere else .!

there's no shortage of stalkers and crazies in cyberspace
 Miss W
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:36:24 PM
Wow, I post something and it takes off. Thanks for all of the insights. To those who say that HATE is a strong word (yes it is) and that I'm "generalizing" men only, I have found men who have said it to me and I know a LOT of men who have a strong dislike for it.

My last beau was very threatened by it, I don't live on it but he did say that it would contribute to our "demise". Actually, Facebook didn't, it was his own bad behavior....

Oh and Giggles, thanks for the tip on looking to see if someone is encumbered. Absolute genius!
 Giggles10000
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:58:17 PM
You can use reverse google images also to find out about someone--just pop in the pic and up will come the dating sites, the usernames, the facebook, twitter, classmates. One guy was on this S&M site as well as pof--the link to his profile was very eye opening and then when I reread his messages they had a completely different meaning--good girl!!!!

--I have found several scammers that way--they had taken the pics from several generals.

So if you don't want people on a dating site to find your facebook--use different pictures--but it still might not help you --an image can also tell a person your name--and where you live and from there well it is the internet.

I wonder about how some who use privacy as a cover would have been in a small village years ago when everyone knew everything--that is all the internet has done is made the world a small village, if you dont do thing you shouldnt--you got no problem, if you are trying to play both ends and get burn--isn't that your fault?

Seriously I don't care who knows I am on POF and my facebook is open--I have nothing to hide, I have in the notes my life story and what is going on with me. I prefer someone take the time to go to my facebook page and see if they like my sense of humor, read my story and see if who I am and who they are --are a match. I consider it a tool for someone to get to know about me and if they are really interested they will. If they arent interested after viewing my page then it saved us both time and aggregation.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/9/2013 4:04:12 PM

there's no shortage of stalkers and crazies in cyberspace
or in real life, living right in your town, maybe a mile away from you or less...
 deere_rancher
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 4:16:36 PM
I wonder about how some who use privacy as a cover would have been in a small village years ago when everyone knew everything--that is all the internet has done is made the world a small village, if you dont do thing you shouldnt--you got no problem

Sorry Giggles ...but , this is crap
No one in my small village ever tried to steal my idenity , or fake my ID to gain entry into a country or my bank accounts, not to mention a vindictive G/F or ex wife or future employer or custody court
I'll be damn if I let the FB determine , How I live my life

And if you listen to the experts ...there NOT telling you to go ahead and post that on FB
In fact .. their saying just the opposite

where did you get the ideal , that people with nothing to hide should be willing to expose everything in their life for examination ?? ...thats dangerous thinking

scottey63
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 4:50:21 PM
Well, let's see. You get back into contact with people who didn't care enough about you to keep in contact with you to begin with (or vice versa).

Personally, I'm starting to hate FB because people have a tendency to slather a lot of crap about their causes all over their pages.

People start to measure the worth and substance of their personal relationships based on what people do on FB.

People collect "friends" on FB they've only met once (or never) and whom they will never have any in-person contact with again.

Maybe men hate FB because it's stupid and a waste of time, not to mention a portal for strangers to obtain personal information about them.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 5:08:10 PM
facebook postings have been used against men in the following

To file divorce procedings, In divorce settlements , In criminal cases
in custody battles, In civil cases, terminating a relationship, proof of infidelity
child support payments increases, reason for terminating employment ,
reason not hired ......and on and on

Why take the chance on facebook ..?...Or to quote Forrest Gump
" thats just one less thing to worry about "
 victorianist
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:35:40 PM
Facebook is for children. I'm interested in adult women.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?