Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jim in NB
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Seems to be a lot of paranio about Facebook. Is Big Brother really that bad? Live your life and don't worry unless you have something to hide. Life is way too short. I enjoy FB book I use to meet my needs - friends, family, some interesting groups .... If you are concerned about ID theft I would be more worried about financial transactions and what that actually tells the people who are looking at selling you something. It is pretty amazing how it is all getting linked but I do not see that as a problem. Maybe this thread has pulled in lots of those kinds of people who we would have claimed generation gap 35 years ago!
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?
Posted: 4/28/2013 10:12:05 AM
While I'm computer savey (I'm on here, right?) I don't like the thought of putting my name out there and fighting over who friends and unfriends. Who friggin cares about people you don't even know. I know employers who look up accounts to see what kind employee they might be thinking of hiring, schools do it too. And let's not forget the role FB and Twitter played in Steubenville, OH.
I'm not giving FB any information on me; I also don't do Twitter, and I refuse to pay exorbidant amounts of money for cable. I don't give a ratz azz what Justin Beiber is doing, or what someone had for dinner. I have my cell phone and my computer ...that's plenty. Count me in a one of those women of a certain age who have absolutely NO USE for FB. Bet FB will soon be history, anyway, and something else will take over. Remember MySpace?
 anita_lay
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2013 2:34:22 PM

Oh snap--I just made $100 selling stuff I don't want any more from one of the Facebook Groups--and because it is Fecebook--unlike Craigslist I know who I was meeting before I met them!

Charity groups have been set up, murderers found, missing children located...all on Facebook. It's definitely not all about posting photos of meals you've eaten. It's a fantastic resource and not just for commerce and marketing - of which its potential is just beginning. You mightn't like Facebook, but it's certainly here to stay. Read this:
www.vanityfair.com/business/2013/05/facebook-future-mark-zuckerberg-sheryl-sandberg
As for older men ''hating'' it - my father signed up three years ago, when he was 79.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/28/2013 2:51:00 PM
Do they? Not where I live. People seem to have found the value in social networking for a vast variety of reasons. Cooking, hunting, sports, community, family, activities, etc.

Yeah you get those bad eggs that use it for all the wrong reasons, but I just put all of their posts on ignore. If you look for the bad in something you will most certainly find it. Look for the good and you'll discover there is good reason the site was so successful.

If you are worried that the site is gathering personal information on you than you are right. Along with Google, Plenty of Fish, Cell phone transmissions, all of your emails. Don't be naive. All electronic transmissions are stored inthe Utah facility constructed for that sole purpose. My life is an open book. It comes with the security clearance I have. They look at you so hard you feel like you are naked in a labratory room. Kind of liberating actually.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/28/2013 4:09:36 PM

Do they? Not where I live. People seem to have found the value in social networking for a vast variety of reasons. Cooking, hunting, sports, community, family, activities, etc.

Yeah you get those bad eggs that use it for all the wrong reasons, but I just put all of their posts on ignore. If you look for the bad in something you will most certainly find it. Look for the good and you'll discover there is good reason the site was so successful.

If you are worried that the site is gathering personal information on you than you are right. Along with Google, Plenty of Fish, Cell phone transmissions, all of your emails. Don't be naive. All electronic transmissions are stored inthe Utah facility constructed for that sole purpose. My life is an open book. It comes with the security clearance I have. They look at you so hard you feel like you are naked in a labratory room. Kind of liberating actually.

Thank you ...that is simply all I was pointing out..if you aren't doing anything than no one can use anything you post on facebook against you...you have to be doing something bad and posting about it...

and then there is this type of thing...35 dumbest things posted on Facebook ...I was in tears reading it...http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-dumbest-things-that-have-ever-happened-on-facebook
 NinerV
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/15/2013 2:05:43 PM
I'm on FB but it's not really my thing. To me, it shows how we've become so self-involved. Way too much BS info, I mean, do I really need to see a pic of what someone I'm friends with has ordered for dinner at some restaurant? Ugh...
 hounddoug
Msg: 132
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:28:17 PM
I really don't know why people have such an aversion to Facebook, or so they claim. If your Facebook friends, and you perhaps, post drivel that says a lot right there.

Me, I've discovered new music I really love through Facebook. And I like to learn and there are some excellent "special interest" pages like "The Universe" and "I Fvcking Love Science." As I wrote on Facebook: "99% of the people on Facebook don't have a life story worth telling. The people with life stories worth telling are not on Facebook—they're out living that life."
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 7:44:00 PM
You are correct, Maleman...

And, "doing something wrong is in the eye of the beholder." Am I "wrong" if I post a photo of my Catholic wedding, and the potential employer is looking at my Facebook pages and hates Catholics?

People can be really petty...why give them ammunition?
 TryAgan
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 10:47:18 PM
I don't hate it all, I'm not even on it.
 cooldog65
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 7:17:00 AM
I simply haven't found a good reason to be on Fakebook. I've lived without it all this time and survived just fine. Who really gives a shit?
 Maleman999
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/16/2013 9:18:46 AM
"I simply haven't found a good reason to be on Fakebook."

My sentiments exactly. If a person can't get in touch by phone, in person, e-mail, or snail mail, they can't be all that interested in keeping in touch. I feel the same way about texting. Texting is like having a pager on you at all times, being on call 24/7. There is no down time with it. I wish it was legal to run over people who cross the street into on-coming traffic who are so involved in checking for text messages or sending a text message, they are oblivious to traffic and the rest of the world. These idiots should be Darwinized.
 hounddoug
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:34:52 AM
I really still don't see much difference between Facebook and the PoF Forums.

If a person can't get in touch by phone, in person, e-mail, or snail mail, they can't be all that interested in keeping in touch.

That pretty much sums up 99% of people in my life. I owe my solitude to other people.

I wish it was legal to run over people who cross the street into on-coming traffic who are so involved in checking for text messages or sending a text message, they are oblivious to traffic and the rest of the world. These idiots should be Darwinized.

Whether or not they're texting, or talking on their cell phone, or listening to their music with headphones, or just walking, people are like that. A joke I heard recently said those little stick people on my car window are not family members, but confirmed kills.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 3:18:59 PM

I don't hate it all, I'm not even on it.

ditto!

OMG! i guess this means i have something to hide!

LOL!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 139
Posted: 5/16/2013 4:26:18 PM
There are times. . . .

I have a nephew whose mother died of metastasized breast cancer five years after a double mastectomy. A friend of his was on fb making some fairly crude jokes about Angelina Jolie's breasts. She's exactly the age his mother was when diagnosed. So instead of ignoring his bud, or calling him out, he *joins* him. Worse, his five brothers and father are all on facebook.

Just something I wish I didn't know about him, and which will affect my future relationship with him.
 pageforyou
Msg: 140
Posted: 5/16/2013 8:38:47 PM
I do get out in the world far more BECAUSE of the events I hear about and the REAL friends I met on Facebook, from my city, who have similar interests and arrange to go with me. This never happened for me, in person, when I "got out and spoke to people" often ,when I moved back to a city I used to know well and BEFORE Facebook. Shouldn't be necessary to assume everyone is fake on Face Book or has no life, out in the world, if they spend time online. Fine, if it's not for you, but no need to "run down" with assumptions and generalizations those who's life has opened up IN THE REAL WORLD because of Facebook and other social media sites.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 141
Posted: 5/17/2013 11:14:27 AM

I have a nephew whose mother died of metastasized breast cancer five years after a double mastectomy. A friend of his was on fb making some fairly crude jokes about Angelina Jolie's breasts. She's exactly the age his mother was when diagnosed. So instead of ignoring his bud, or calling him out, he *joins* him. Worse, his five brothers and father are all on facebook.

Let's say you went to a restaurant and there was a wall between two sets of booths ...not all the way to the ceiling so you can hear what the other people are saying...so you sit down and then notice your nephew is among the same group of people having the same conversation ...equating what they say as being facebook's fault is like saying you would never go back to that restaurant cause of that conversation your overheard.

Yes facebook does allow you to hear other people's conversations but again you are in complete control...don't want to see someone or hear someone you can delete and block them.

And, "doing something wrong is in the eye of the beholder." Am I "wrong" if I post a photo of my Catholic wedding, and the potential employer is looking at my Facebook pages and hates Catholics?

People can be really petty...why give them ammunition?

So on the way to church do you cover your face so no potential employers see you about to enter the church???? And would you want to work for someone who does that??

There is enough evil in the world that if you allow it --it can keep you from living--you should just box yourselves in your home and order everything to be bought to you!

Isolation ..that is what so many of you have done, your unfounded fears have isolated you from life and with as you say...not even trying it...you judged it a bad thing cause it would what...maybe help you have a more meaningful life?

Social media is not going away, you are on a online dating site...so how in the world can facebook be worse than this!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 142
Posted: 5/17/2013 12:34:57 PM
giggles, no. I have no intention of leaving facebook. Nor cutting my nephew off of my feed, much less unfriending him. What I AM saying, is that I *wish* some peeps were more aware of how widely facebook broadcasts your chit. And the potential for REAL hurt to people you do really love.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 143
Posted: 5/17/2013 1:59:07 PM
^^^ awww Wooby <3 you...never would want you to leave facebook either, my point is those who are complaining about it just don't understand it.

Many fortune 500 companies are hiring off of it, they are using their facebook page to draw interested applicants to their company and you can apply right off your facebook account.

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/909-social-media-hiring.html

Eventually we will all have one online social identity pretty much like we do now; learning to use social media the right way will just help you as you age keep current on what is going on around you in the world, living in a box will keep you in isolation.
 SkinnyCoach
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/18/2013 1:33:30 PM
Every time I look at it, some girl posts pics and everybody goes, "You look beautiful." or "You look Hot." Then they post pics about their life, like I care about family video's. If something bad happens, they post how sad they are, and everybody goes, "I am sooo sorry."

Nobody pics up the phone and calls. Nobody seems to really care. Nobody really gets involved. It is all fake relationships, and fake friends.
 hounddoug
Msg: 145
Posted: 5/18/2013 2:17:56 PM

Nobody pics up the phone and calls. Nobody seems to really care. Nobody really gets involved. It is all fake relationships, and fake friends.

Yep, and on Facebook, too.
 Walts
Msg: 146
Posted: 5/18/2013 2:47:51 PM
FB,,,,just another tool that a person,group,company, business can use, or not. Some business' have found a great value in it. Others???? Haven't figure out how to "use" it just yet, or it's just too much effort to try. If I was an owner of a business the "numbers" of users alone would make me at least consider the options. Ditto on the Twitter thingy.

I use mine basically to keep in touch with actual friends and family that I have across North America. I also use it gaining valuable information for a couple of my passions, gardening and fly fishing. I have saved myself a lot of time and money using the information that I can gain just by doing a little clicking.

Some people will use, some won't. Most have a good reason or two, at least in their heads, for not wanting to do either.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2013 8:00:15 PM
I don't hate Facebook, I just don't have the time to waste being at the beck and call of your friends and relatives 24-7. I have a minimalistic account to contact my daughter in another country. I would not need one for anyone else. I check my account once a week usually on my iphone when I'm killing time waiting in some line. Usually most of the posts are about mundane routine stuff. I'm not really interested in hearing how someone woke up, took a chit, got out of bed etc......
 m8t
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/22/2013 11:38:57 PM
I dont know why so many men dislike facebook. If they are seriously minded about finding a relationship,
thats actually the place to mingle online with friends and ask about singles. Friends listed on other friends pages,
are a great source for meeting people with good references. Its taking old school dating by word of mouth,
and adding a modern twist online. Its much safer to meet people some of your friends know well, than strangers.
Dont like your friends and family knowing what you are up to? Maybe its because you have something to hide.

I only have very close friends and family listed on my page.
I plan on keeping it that way too.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/23/2013 2:29:42 PM
How's this:
I'm breathing in.
Now, I'm breathing out.

Does that qualify as an update?

Gee, what a sad and lonely life I must have without fecebook (thanks, Giggles, for the earlier typo - haha! )
 anita_lay
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 2:48:01 PM
Get with the 21st century, folks. Social networking platforms are a major part of today's communications. Most recruitment in many areas is done through LinkedIn. Many of you sound like dinosaurs at best and ignorant at worst. And this attitude towards social media stigmatises middle-aged job-seekers in a big way.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Why do Men of a Certain Age HATE Facebook?