Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 73
I love dating older men but ...Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
An automatic? ?
blasphemy!
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 74
I love dating older men but ...
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:37:29 PM

as long as they have two arms and legs I'm good

Well they certainly can't call you picky! :)
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:38:27 PM
ohenryx

I stand corrected. What you say makes sense. Clooney's car looks really flash to me and is a lovely colour. He has also alluded to being quite financially well off despite three marriages, so I am sure that is somewhat of a drawcard to any woman reading his posts.

I still dream of winning a BMW or a Mercedes sports and take tickets all the time.... sigh.....
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:42:24 PM
Clooneys

You do not have to buy exxy dinners for the dates. I am sure there are alternatives. If you want to impress and perhaps get laid, then yes.... for sure.

Now I know what you mean by at least 2 women being a 6, that is attractive to you...
I find this rating system rather odious but it is a quick way to convey an impression of attractiveness.
 ohenryx
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:11:15 AM

clooneystutor
About the vette....

It's a convertible and an automatic.

I'm obviously not a 'gear head'. I'm more concerned about enjoying the sun and getting home fast after work.

I actually considered one, a few years back. When I was younger, it was a chick magnet, and I always wanted one. But, alas, I don’t fit. Size small, and I need XL. And even if I squeezed in, it’s too low to the ground, and I would hate climbing down into it, and then back up out of it. If it suits you, more power to you.

For what its worth? I get about 5-10 messages a week.

At least 2 are usually attractive.

As much as I love spending time with the wimmins, I need to make time for work too. Hell, them dinners on the coast ain't cheap! :)

Some dinners are cheap, some aren’t. Olive Garden is not expensive, for instance, but it is a family atmosphere, not conducive to dating, etc. The places with lower lighting, more room between the tables (private conversation), candles on the table – now those cost serious money.

Exceptions would include quirky little places in the interesting parts of town. Not as conducive to romance, perhaps, but beats the hell out of Olive Garden. At least you don’t look like every other Tom, Dyck, and Harry that she has met.

I don’t get many “initial messages”. A few, but not many. At age 46, you are a full 18 years younger than me, and dealing with a younger generation. Women in their 50’s and 60’s mostly do not initiate. Most of the women that I talk with at Meetups (over 50 singles) have not had a date since their divorce or being widowed, but they would NEVER consider initiating. When I suggest it to them, they give me a horrified look.

LetitiaLeGrande
I stand corrected. What you say makes sense. Clooney's car looks really flash to me and is a lovely colour. He has also alluded to being quite financially well off despite three marriages, so I am sure that is somewhat of a drawcard to any woman reading his posts.

If my experience is any indicator, posting on the forums and online dating do not exist in the same universe, and there is zero crossover between the two universes. (Unlike in Fringe).
 gtomustang
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:39:54 AM
I remember in the late 1970's where one almost had to go to Lloyds of London or join the Corvette club of America to get insurance. in the automotive world, Vettes are a bit like Mazda MX5 Miatas. they get dismissed until one actually drives one and realizes there's a load of potential to build a fast car. I listen to hotrodders put down a Corvette but they'll gladly buy a 1955 Chevrolet with all Corvette suspension underneath. Maybe b/c their knees can take getting into a car that isn't a dollar bill's length off the pavement.

if you like what you have in life, congratulations, you're a success. If it gets you laid, congratulations, you've met like-minded individuals. if others hate, that says something...positive.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:39:57 AM

And, no, Clooney, I am not knocking your Corvette. I’m sure you’re very proud of it. But it is not a status symbol any more, and hasn’t been for several decades.

Now if he had a 67 GTO, fully restored, that would be a status symbol. But most women would not know it, just the other men. If you want to impress women, you need a BMW these days.

Actually, here a Corvette gets attention because American sport cars are a bit unusual. I was walking the other day with my GF and she liked the Trans Am she saw.

Everyone and their mother here seems to drive a Lexus, Mercedes or BMW and Honda/Nissan. I drive a BMW( not bragging) and here it is considered the norm NOT anything special and a used one goes for as low as 10k because there are so many for sale. Makes fixing them easy and inexpensive.

I suspect LA is full of foreign cars! When they have that "buy American" slogan, here people buy European or Asian cars apparently!

Now the green Lamboghini down the block gets attention! Or the Massarati parked outside of the Lounge!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:43:10 AM

Hell, them dinners on the coast ain't cheap! :)

Some dinners are cheap, some aren’t. Olive Garden is not expensive, for instance, but it is a family atmosphere, not conducive to dating, etc. The places with lower lighting, more room between the tables (private conversation), candles on the table – now those cost serious money.

Note that he said "dinners on the coast".

He's in Thousand Oaks, so the "coast" is Malibu.

Rich people. Expensive homes. Expensive restaurants.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/3/2015 11:30:44 AM

Where are you from? Ah, New South Wales. If you were here in the USA, you wouldn’t ask that question. Back in the 60’s and 70’s, a Corvette was a bit of a status symbol.

It still is, I'd imagine, in Bowling Green, KY -- and Revere, Massachusetts.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/3/2015 12:32:31 PM
^^^ LOL^^^
no idea why someone would feature their car on a dating site. I can see it on a car site..
unless it is a Lamborghini Veneno Roadster. Then I don't care if he is 158 with 9 toes in the grave.
Now, a dead fish sitting in a Vette at a public washroom taking a selfie. That would be awesome
 ohenryx
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2015 7:52:18 AM

Ouija2025
no idea why someone would feature their car on a dating site. I can see it on a car site..
unless it is a Lamborghini Veneno Roadster. Then I don't care if he is 158 with 9 toes in the grave.

I don’t look at many men’s profiles, occasionally check out the posters here in the forums, and that’s it. But over the years I have looked at thousands and thousands and thousands of women’s profiles. (Did I mention “thousands”? Okay, good.)

If you haven’t looked at many profiles of women (and you probably haven’t), you might be surprised at how many women feature at least one picture of their car. I daresay the number would run somewhere between 5 and 10%, from roughly 1 in 20 to 1 in 10. Among those, you see Vettes, and Mustang convertibles, and other sporty and / or convertible cars.

And there are roughly an equal number of women’s profiles which have at least one picture of them with a motorcycle, almost always a Harley. When you inquire, “Is that your Harley?”, the answer is almost always, “No”. I suspicion strongly that many women would be interested in a man who can spend $20k on what is essentially a toy. Naturally I am NOT talking of anyone here!

Eternitygracesme

Where are you from? Ah, New South Wales. If you were here in the USA, you wouldn’t ask that question. Back in the 60’s and 70’s, a Corvette was a bit of a status symbol.

I am not familiar with those two places, but I’m going to assume that you’re speaking of rural, low income areas, is that right? Here where I’m from, in the rural, low income areas, they do not aspire to own a Vette, but rather a big jacked up 4 wheel drive truck.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/4/2015 8:58:22 AM
I'd be interested in hearing some of the other things you've noticed about trends in women's profiles. Sometimes I will look at women's to see if there are any "running themes"..there are some classics in LA...all the women are into yoga, and you better keep up with them..they appear to love their pets so much that if you cant accept that dont even bother writing, and yes, many want tall men. It's true!!! The "women wanting tall men" is indeed a truth.

I havent yet seen a woman with a motorcycle or car...those seem to have been exclusively a guy thing and I see ALOT of that..and the pick up trucks!

I wonder if, as women are more and more financially secure and well off on their own, they will start taking more "materialistic" photos. I really dont see any of those..but it would be interesting to watch a new trend unfold.

The Harley thing I think also represents a lifestyle and mindset. The bike is a symbol, not just "look at my cool bike/car/boat"..its something you have to "get."
 clooneystutor
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/4/2015 9:07:28 AM

The vette's photo caption gets more attention then anything else.

It's not a mid life crisis, it's a no wife opportunity

Also, female vette owners comment on it as well.

I havent yet seen a woman with a motorcycle or car...those seem to have been exclusively a guy thing and I see ALOT of that..and the pick up trucks!

Wait a sec! Are you saying you haven't seen a gal sitting on a motorcycle, posting in these forums?!

Harleys are pretty common on women's profiles.

Also, the few gals that are, god forbid, flashing their sports cars are often executive types. More power to 'em.

Still, a man with a fast car appears to be inflammatory to some.

I don't mind being inflammatory, so it's all good :)
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/4/2015 10:31:11 AM
I have a car dilema: My son has offered to give me one of those statussy cars. I do need a new car, but would feel a bit silly in such a thing. I'm thinking of accepting and asking him to take the rediculous hood ornament thing off. But that would probably reduce him to tears. Arg.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/4/2015 5:19:07 PM
He can give me the car. I will call him son ( actually I'll call him Easton because I fancy that name)
And remember to send him $5.00 on his B Day
Let me help you off that horn :p
 gtomustang
Msg: 88
older men love dating her butt
Posted: 7/4/2015 6:04:50 PM
WAMB, I too recommend a statuscar (phalluscar?). at least once in life, everybody should try a bit of the good life. just to see why others do it. I mean, if we're going to criticize...we should have some experience to stand on, right? the thing to consider, however, is the cost of upkeep, and insurance, and taxes. that might make the purchase more of an albatross around the neck.

i'm not too critical of what people put on their profile, unless its their kids. or 100 shots of their cleavage, and their complaint is guys only want sex. still, nice to look at, tho, while i'm waiting for an email response from another forum poster.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/5/2015 12:11:53 PM
eternity

You do realize that the National Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, KY?
I'm guessing it is sponsored by KY in honor of all those dates they have generated.... JMHO

Not sure what is in Revere. Well other then what is in the Revere view mirror.

Hope everyone had a good Independence Day and is recovering with out a hang over or burnt fingers.

Le Pew
 dragonbytes
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/6/2015 12:11:57 PM

About the vette....

It's a convertible and an automatic.
I actually considered one, a few years back. When I was younger, it was a chick magnet, and I always wanted one. But, alas, I don’t fit. Size small, and I need XL. And even if I squeezed in, it’s too low to the ground, and I would hate climbing down into it, and then back up out of it. If it suits you, more power to you.

My go to car would be a Dodge Viper or porshe 911, but I can't afford those cars.

I have had two seater sports cars for about 23 years, they didn't have a lot of power but cornered like a go-kart. I have grown fund of a Honda Accord 4 door. And it's amusing to watch a 6.3 tall valet try and exit a Fiat x19.

But my wife wants me to get a minivan.

Quite a gulf between a Viper and a minivan. :)
Posted: 7/6/2015 4:33:52 PM
'Vette? She thinks my tractor is sexy. I keep forgetting...I'm gonna put a pic of my tractor on my profile. What I have to offer is hayrides through big country fields.

Otherwise I'm the motorcycle type. But no cars.

---

Something that I think is interesting about age, when talking about dating, is that when you're 10 you think that 8 or 12 is way outside of your circle...when you're 15, about the same range...at 20, well, still about the same I guess, for all practical purposes - someone who's 23 might be thought of as an "old" person...at 25, someone who's 21 thinks that you're old, and you may even think of them as too young, and almost everyone anywhere in the 20's thinks of 30 as over the hill...then suddenly, after 30, a 30 year old will go out with a 22 year old or a 45 year old, and people all the way up to 49 will go out with maybe 25 and up...then a person has to be late 30's before their interest goes beyond 45...

I don't know how exact my numbers are...just pulled 'em out of my arse...but my points are that at younger ages a mere 2 years difference is a lot, while 15 years either way makes no difference once you're over the 30 threshold, and that there isn't a consistent increment of change with age but instead about 2 or 3 threshold-ages at which there are drastic changes in mindsets and even a feature to that mindset which is unique in addition to being simply a range of age that many people are open to.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2015 6:09:23 PM
And NO woman is interested in my 81 Ford rustbucket truck.

BUT-I've only spent $2500 total on my last 6 old beater trucks. Since 1985. (Three were given to me)

And all have lasted at least 4 years. (One went for 12 years!)
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/7/2015 6:24:50 PM
^ Do I count?

Where I live, most men - including the ones I've met off Plenty of Fish - have brand new big shiny pimped up trucks. But then I met this one guy who drove a really old pick-up with a make-shift camper thing on the back. I was very impressed with his lack of ostentatiousness. (Plus I found him delisciously physically attractive. Plus I really liked his personality - no self aggrandizement whatsoever.) So there you have it.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/7/2015 7:44:04 PM

I havent yet seen a woman with a motorcycle or car...those seem to have been exclusively a guy thing

You haven't looked at enough profiles.

I just came across a 65 year old woman in Norwalk sitting on a motorcycle, dressed in black leather, for her main photo.

With a caption claiming she has been riding since age 9.
Posted: 7/8/2015 10:25:13 AM
I seen lots of women's profiles with cars or motorcycles. Might just depend on where you are and/or the kinds of profiles each person sees the most.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/11/2015 3:06:48 PM

You do realize that the National Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, KY?

I know; I was there a few years ago.

The Revere, Massachusetts was a personal reference to something I witnessed -- a lot of Corvettes.
 sweettea091
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/8/2015 12:50:23 PM
When I was young I used to love older men as well. Most older men equate younger women with immaturity. They don't want to end up being the "daddy" in the relationship. But there's plenty that love younger women. Let them come to you!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >