Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lipitor and weight gain      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 foreignlady10
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gainPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I also take Lipitor and have gained a lot of weight. I don't eat fried fruits or sweets and work out. High cholesterol runs in my family and my doctor said that there is nothing I can do.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/11/2013 2:51:10 AM
Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) leads to an increase in LDL cholesterol by reducing the ability of the body to remove cholesterol. When blood sugars are too high, LDL cholesterol and the receptors for LDL in the liver become coated with sugar (glycosylated), impairing the liver's ability to remove cholesterol from the bloodstream.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^READ op

Its all related
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/11/2013 12:27:44 PM
The first week I gained 5 pounds....

5 pounds is about 17,000 calories. That's about 3,500 calories more than a woman should eat in a week.

If you are eating a healthy diet how can you gain way more weight than you are taking into your body?...this is even assuming that you didn't use any calories to maintain your body over that week. However since you must have used up a 1000 calories a day minimum you still gained 5 pounds?

The physics don't work.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/11/2013 1:55:30 PM
^^^^^^^It can't be fat that quickly unless its some medical abnormality/drug interaction??? I/we are not familiar with..

Probably a figure of speech.
It seemed/felt like a couple of days

Women can in some instances gain 3- 8 pounds of water weight in just a day or two (usually hormone related and/or craving/eating salty food)
The more fat she has the more water weight she can gain over a very short period..

I don't anymore, but some women do well into 60ish

Op probably has not discussed her concerns with her Dr like she has us on the forum or would be aware of many of the facts we have brought to her attention.

Talk with your Dr op..Touch his arm, ask him to slow down and give you time to TALK/ASK about some of the issues/questions you have concerns with and what many of us have brought to your attention so far.

If he is not aware your insulin resistance and high LDL could be related and what a good ratio is you may want to get a new Physician.
If he is aware and has not related it to you then i would ask why not.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 30
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/11/2013 3:57:03 PM
I have not been back to discuss the Lipitor weight gain with my doctor- when I do I will go over all of this with her.

She is very good at taking the needed time- but since when I last saw ehr we did not know I would gain weight on the Lipitor, it wasnt an issue.

Thanks again, this has been a lot of help in pointing me in the right direction!
 slowitalldown
Msg: 31
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/17/2013 9:14:21 AM
Thought I would give an update. I stopped taking the Lipitor. One week later (last time I weighed myelf) I have lost 4 pounds.

For now I am taking this in steps- in addition to my workouts and regular eating etc, I am concentrating on cutting out all refined carbs, sugars etc.

One thing at a time. :) (I quit smoking a year and a half ago- maintaining my weight was my only goal for that first year, before I tried anything else. I know myself, and making permanent change is very low for me)

Again, thanks for the advice.
 satx78218
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/17/2013 10:51:19 AM
statins and cholesterol are a huge money-sucking scam

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Cholesterol-Myth-Disease/dp/1592335217

rather than taking statins, cut out sugar and all refined carbs

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/damaging-effects-much-sugar-diet-1508.html
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/18/2013 4:15:07 AM
Good for you OP.
High cholesterol doesnt cause heart disease .SUGAR/Insulin resistance / inflammation does.
Some statins/research on statins have been shown to cause diabetes in some people and we should hear more about this in the future.Hopefully it will be common knowledge how dangerous they can be.

Check you C reactive protein ( a good indicator of inflammation in the body)

Good for you again and esp on the smoking.

You need cholesterol.
You dont want high blood pressure.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 34
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/19/2013 1:20:25 PM
Fortunately high blood pressure has never been a problem for me.

Down 6 of the 7 pounds gained on the Lipitor, so feeling pretty good. :)
 satx78218
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:33:51 AM
From newsletter today

http://hsionline.com/hsi-e-alert-sign-up-today/

Dear Reader,

I've told you about a lot of statin studies over the years.

But this one is different.

This was a huge study. It included more than 100,000 subjects, who were all taking various brands of statins when the study began.

For nine years, researchers tracked the subjects to see how many stopped using their drug.

More importantly, they tracked the reasons WHY they stopped.

If you or anyone you know is even considering taking statins -- or thinking about giving them up -- this is a real eye-opener.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Down & dirty details
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This study contains two major revelations...

1) According to the "official" estimate, about 5 to 10% of statin users experience side effects. In this study, more than 17% reported side effects.

2) HALF the subjects quit using their statin. More than 50,000! (Unfortunately, most of them were coaxed back by doctors who lowered dosages or switched them to a different brand.)

In an editorial published with the study, a statin cheerleader said, "Not continuing the drug has a lot more to do with people just not wanting to take drugs for a lifetime."

You know what? Not wanting to take drugs for a lifetime is actually a pretty good reason to stop.

But with statins, the decision to stop has a LOT to do with quality of life. Subjects said they quit using their statins because they felt fatigued. Many experienced muscle pain, nausea, and confusion.

Fear must have played a role too. Any statin user who does some research will find that the drug increases risk of type 2 diabetes, cataracts, and cognitive decline. They'll also find that muscle pain is a symptom of muscle damage. And that damage can trigger kidney failure.

Those are daunting concerns for aging patients. Fifteen years ago, patients weren't hearing about those side effects. But now those effects are front and center.

For instance, in an NPR report about this study, listeners didn't get the usual claptrap about benefits outweighing risks. Instead, a doctor who specializes in women's cardiology noted that there's no evidence that women without heart disease get any benefit at all. And that's the case, even if they have heart disease risk factors.

She also shares this detail... "I have two patients who wound up bedridden from biopsy-proven neuropathy due to statins; both improved but never returned to normal strength."

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of "experts" who claim that statin benefits outweigh risks. But more and more real-life studies are proving them wrong.

Whether you're worried about the side effects, don't want to be on a drug the rest of your life, or don't want to waste money on a pointless drug, it's time to put an end to the statin brainwash.

In every way, you are better off without them.
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/17/2014 1:22:29 AM
OP, it has been over a year now. Have you made any progress?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 37
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/17/2014 3:07:57 PM
slowitalldown- Weight gain is a dangerous side effect of Lipitor. Especially if you are experiencing swelling and/or edema.
You should see your doctor IMMEDIATELY and tell him/her that you are gaining weight.
Before ordering ANY medication, a good physician will do blood testing.
CBC with differential is best. CBC stands for complete blood count, adding the differential means you can see what normal results are and what YOUR results are. This side by side comparison is something you AND your doctor need to see where you are and where you need to be. Ask for this test! You should be getting regular cholesterol testing as well.
I am always wary of advising someone to stop any medication suddenly, so your best bet is to get yourself the FIRST doctors appointment you can, the sooner the better.
I also suggest a second opinion.
I found a link that I hope will help.........here it is: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/mar2010_Lower-Cholesterol-Safely_01.htm
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 38
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/17/2014 8:04:57 PM
BamaGrl

See Slowitalldown's posts dated 4/17 & 4/19........Of last Year
 satx78218
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/23/2014 7:46:09 AM
from a newsletter from newmarkethealth.com

"Duke Medicine researchers recruited about 380 cancer patients who were expected to survive less than a year. All the patients were statin users. Half of them agreed to stop using the drug.

Now, if statins were the miracle lifesavers they're made out to be, those in the non-statin group should have fared pretty badly, right? Going months without their statin protection would supposedly put their hearts at terrible risk.

Well…not so much.

This study was meant to question the "wisdom" of using certain drugs in terminal patients. But inadvertently, the study put a spotlight on the elephant in the room: Statins are very likely to do more harm than good.

Here's how the study played out… Those who stopped using statins IMPROVED their overall quality of life. And their lives weren't shortened because they didn't take the drugs. Just the opposite. Those in the non-statin group lived WEEKS longer than patients who continued using the drug.

As benefits go, you won't get much better than the two things that every cancer patient longs for: more life and better life.

How can this be? Well, if you haven't heard, statins are bad news, even when you're in excellent health. You can go here to catch up on the blood sugar problems, muscle problems, cognitive health problems, CoQ10 depletion problems, kidney problems, liver problems, cataract problems (yes the list goes on and on and on) linked to statin use.

And then there's the savings. Patients in the Duke study who quit using brand name statins saved more than $700. And nearly $630 was saved by those who quit generic statins. Researchers estimate that if terminal patients stopped using these drugs, the combined savings would easily top $600 million per year."

Docs pumping non-cancer drugs into terminal cancer patients? And into my bed-ridden Alzheimer's mother near death (statins messed her up so bad)?

BigPharma and BigMedicine and NursingHomes (now being purchased by private equity capitalist predators) above all for-profit scams, with health secondary.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 40
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:47 PM
Update as asked for. I stayed off the Lipitor.
Still not smoking.
Since last year I have changed my eating habits further. I eat very low carb, virtually nothing which comes In a package or can. I've lost another 15 pounds, and fell great. Due for some new blood work soon, and I will give y'all an update then.

All the advice has been much appreciated.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 41
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:24 PM
I am completely convinced that long-term statin use has a negative effect on memory...even at low dosages.
Many users of statin drugs report difficulties in remembering names, telephone numbers, account passwords, etc., etc.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/25/2014 2:50:58 AM

I am completely convinced that long-term statin use has a negative effect on memory...even at low dosages.
Many users of statin drugs report difficulties in remembering names, telephone numbers, account passwords

^^^^^^

They can't remember very important conversations in a days time either, get frustrated sewing a stitch in a curtain and keep doing it over and over taking days. Things that drive others crazy.

IMT ultrasound scanning will show if you have build up in your arteries to worry about also.
5 minutes, about 100 bucks.
https://www.vasolabs.com/services/carotid-intima-media-thickness/
 satx78218
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/25/2014 6:58:40 AM
Are Pharmaceutical Drugs One of the Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease?

In 2011, Dr. Stephanie Seneff published research looking at the effects of a low-fat diet and statin drugs in relation to Alzheimer’s Disease. This research noticed a strong correlation between insulin resistance in the brain and early Alzheimer’s Disease, suggesting that Alzheimer’s might be considered a neuroendocrine disorder of the brain or so-called “type 3 diabetes”.

But the study’s main conclusions regarding the early causes of Alzheimer’s Disease centered around the transport of cholesterol from the blood stream to the brain. The research stated that there is mounting evidence which suggests that a defect in cholesterol metabolism in the brain may play an important role in Alzheimer’s Disease. A nice summary of the brain’s dependency on cholesterol is given:

The brain represents only 2% of the body’s total mass, but contains 25% of the total cholesterol. Cholesterol is required everywhere in the brain as an antioxidant, an electrical insulator (in order to prevent ion leakage), as a structural scaffold for the neural network, and a functional component of all membranes. Cholesterol is also utilized in the wrapping and synaptic delivery of the neurotransmitters. It also plays an important role in the formation and functioning of synapses in the brain. (Study here.)

They point to several studies that show that there is a lack of cholesterol in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients which is so vital for several functions, and also note that other studies show this cholesterol deficiency in dementia and Parkinson’s disease as well. In contrast, high cholesterol levels are positively correlated with longevity in people over 85 years old, and in some cases has been shown to be associated with better memory function and reduced dementia.

In 2012, another study looked at the effects of statin cholesterol-lowering drugs on Alzheimer’s patients. The patients in the study had their statin medication stopped for six weeks, and then restarted. The results showed that during the six weeks when their statins were stopped, the basic brain function of the individuals improved. When the drugs were restarted, brain function got worse again. (Study here.)

So if statin cholesterol-lowering drugs are part of the problem in causing Alzheimer’s Disease, can we really expect that pharmaceutical companies will be able to develop drugs to cure Alzheimer’s?

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/new-alzheimers-drugs-continue-to-fail-where-coconut-oil-shines/

another possibility is the BigFood "low fat" scam has increased the carbs in BigFood and in people's consumption as they replace fat with carbs. Excess carbs cause insulin resistance perhaps not only from the neck down, but also in the brain. Plus statins suppress cholesterol which the brain needs. Is the epidemic of Alzheimer's and dementia related to low-fat/high-carb scam and "statins for everyone at all ages" scam?

" deaths from the disease (Alzheimer's) increased by 68 percent between 2000 and 2010."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/03/19/174651566/alzheimers-epidemic-now-a-deadlier-threat-to-elderly

Thanks, BigFood! Thanks, BigPharma!
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 44
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:19:51 AM
My mother died at 83 with alzheimers. In the last few years before her death my father did some reading about the disease and it mentioned drugs like Lipitor. My mother had been on that drug for a good 15 years before she died and it tied in with the timeline diagnosis of alzheimers. Even thought she was well into the dementia, my father took her off the Liptor and he noticed a change for the better. She seemed to have a few more hours of relative clarity during the day.

My take on this - I have no idea why they put my mother on this drug as she was always fit and at 5"5" she never varied much past 140 pounds, she cycled, she walked, cycled, hiked and grew all her veg in her garden plus the property was full of fruit trees. She was healthy. She cut down on cheese, nitrates and salt once she hit about 55. What I do know for sure is that my mother had the laziest idiot for a doctor and I told him so; he didn't like that comment but too damn bad.

I will never take a drug like this. Nor will anyone in my family. We think it's nasty. JMO
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 8/11/2014 12:58:13 AM
15lb?

I hope you have received some compliments from your friends. When I went to 160lb from 175lb, people around me were so surprised, and wanted to know how I did it. It took me about same time as you, one year.
 satx78218
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 8/11/2014 4:24:22 AM
"I have no idea why they put my mother on this drug as she was always fit"

The priority in prescribing drugs in old people is making money, not the health of the patient.

I am still astonished at the pill caddy they rolled into every room in my mother's nursing home, multiple times per day.

Probably $100Ks, or more of drugs, prescribed by the nursing home doctors (on the take), pumped into old people, many only a short time from death, in every nursing home, with the nursing home pocketing a good percentage.

There's a reason private equity predators, vultures, hyenas have been buying chains of nursing homes, and it ain't for charity (except for self-charity) or concern for the well-being of the residents. Taxpayer Medicare/Medicaid $100Bs transferred directly into the bank accounts of p/e billionaires and their wealthy investors, and of course, BigPharma.

Bad diet (BigFood), unfit, and pumped full of drugs could be bringing on Alzheimers in otherwise healthy but declining, vulnerable brains. Alzheimers care units in nursing homes are MUCH more expensive than non-Alzheimers. I personally couldn't see any difference between how my Alzheimers mother was treated vs any other resident. So if a resident is labeled as Alzheimers, it's mostly free extra money transferred to the nursing home.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 47
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 9/21/2014 7:51:18 PM
Thought I'd give everyone an update. Continued to stay off statins. Changed my eating. No sugar and extremely very limited carbs, which pretty much means everything I eat is real food.

Had my blood work done, my cholesterol is still high but lower, and my blood sugar went from being borderline diabetic to "high normal"

I'm happy with those results, and I've now lost 22 pounds. And three years not smoking.

Thanks again for all the input.

(Now if only my love life were as successful LOL)
 satx78218
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 9/22/2014 7:02:16 AM
LOL

Obtaining/maintaining lean weight is more easier than finding someone on an Internet dating board
 femaleconnection
Msg: 49
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:40 AM
Thanks for the update OP, it is always so awesome to hear when people can correct health issues by eating well and looking after themselves rather than looking for 'hope in a jar'. Keep up the great work!
 FreedomTurtle
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 9/22/2016 10:16:56 PM
Hey, OP.

It's been about 2 years. Any updates? Any progress?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lipitor and weight gain